Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres and/or snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Planning to drive to alps or Austria March ‘23 and would be grateful of advice on the points below which will be our first time driving and will be in a 2 wheel drive VW Tiguan.
Is there a difference beween winter tyres and snow specific tyres?
Are winter tyres a must have or will normal UK tyres and chains be ok?
What is the recommended tread depth for winter tyres to work effectively in the snow? Probably looking at picking up a set of used tyres and will I need 4 or just the front 2 tyres?
Are 4 chains needed or is it only the front tyres where the drive comes from?
Are headlight films needed to change the angle of the headlights?
Sorry if these seem dumb questions but for me it’s my first time looking into this.

Any other info to add to this topic would be appreciated
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get Winter Tyres (marked with a "mountain and snowflake" symbol on the side of the tyre wall
As someone who has driven to and around Austria in Winter conditions with normal UK tyres I can tell you that they work fine until you crash. Then you have a problem.
Winter tyres make a huge difference and will be all you need for 99% of the time. Chains are not likely to be needed but I have a cheap set and chuck them in the car as well. Check your vehicle handbook to be on the safe side. The reason I didn't have chains when I crashed using Summer tyres, is that the vehicle handbook said that they could not be fitted to the particular model of car I had then, with the particular size of wheel / tyre fitted. Risk of them fouling the brake pipes.

But proper Winter Tyres are (in my book) an absolute essential.

Headlight beam adjusters - again check your specific vehicle handbook but for the sake of a couple of ££ get a set.

And don't worry overmuch. It will be fine
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no difference (these days) between winter and show tyres. Look for '3 Peaks' sign - that's what you need. They are both softer (for winter temperatures) and have a special thread which gets filled up with snow, improving the grip.

Chains are not going to be of much use on a freshly dusted road. You will need either winter/all season tyres or alternatively snow socks. Summer tyres will be in a free spin - found out the hard way.

I would say 4mm is a reasonable depth.

Chains (or socks) are only needed for the drive wheels.

Yes, deflectors are needed. Many people don't bother though. Check if your car has an electronic 'tourist mode' adjustment.

NOTE: It's almost certainly that you will need smaller rims and smaller diameter tyres to be able to fit the chains. Check the owner manual.
Alternatives are:
- front fitting tyres (RUD Centerax, Thule/Koenig K Summit, etc) - more expensive but saves you having to have a separate wheel set. Also A LOT easier to fit on the road
- Snow socks. Not a full replacement for chains, but will get you out of trouble in 99% of cases. Also very easy to fit

Also consider good All season tyres like Michelin CrossClimate. They are 3 peaks certified and perform well in summer too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MogulMonkey, Just for fun put 'winter tyres' in the search facility on here wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In my view the best tyres to drive from the UK to a ski resort are winter-rated all season tyres (e.g. CrossClimate)...

They will fully meet the legal requirements and they perform very well in the snow. But unlike a dedicated winter tyre they will also be excellent on the vast motorway slog, where temperatures could easily be 10-15C or even much higher later in the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And never ever put winter tyres on one axle only.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mooney058 wrote:
And never ever put winter tyres on one axle only.

But it's perfectly ok to put chains only on the driven axle
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Change to Winter tyres in November (have winter and summer rims) and back again in April. Do 4 trips to the alpes over that time and at least 50% of my trips I’m glad I did. Have chipped my Passat and never have any trouble on the autoroute despite driving at a “fair” rate of knots. Always practice putting on chains before my first trip to remind myself how its done. I carry a lithium battery pack to jump start the car as a precaution but have never used it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a tyre to qualify as a winter tyre in Austria, it must carry the labels "M+S", "M.S." or "M&S", or a snowflake symbol (which may appear with or without the other labels). Accordingly, all-weather and all-year-round tyres are only suitable for use as winter tyres if they carry one of these labels.

Minimum tread depth for winter tyres in Austria is 4mm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A mate looking to buy a Tiguan was told that chains cannot be fitted to certain wheel/tyre combinations for that car. Sorry, don’t have specifics.

A good review of the options…
http://youtube.com/v/5RYwVVc3qos
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We use Snowtyres when heading to the alps. We also keep chains in the car - just in case.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Winter tyres are basically mandatory in Austria from 1. Nov until 15. April. Theoretically snow chains would be an alternative but they cannot be used unless the roads have a full cover of snow, which is not always the case. You should also carry snow chains but in reality they are rarely needed in addition to Winter tyres.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have winter tyres and chains my Inisgnia tyre/wheel size combo is not reccomended for chains but, as a previous poster has said, front fitting ones can be OK ,,I have a set of Spikes Spder and they seem ok . BUT i have only had to use chains once in the last 10 years when the whole of Madonna got a metre of snow on the Thursday /Friday before departure ...you pays your money and takes your choice ...last season in March there was no snow on the roads Germany Italy France
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yay, a winter tyre debate in July rolling eyes

Sorry OP... to your questions
1. Winters and snow are interchangable. Look for either the snowflake or mountain symbol. M+S only aren't the same and don't have the sipes (tread block cuts) that give you grip on snow and are really mud+slush.
2. Depends (who knows the vagaries of weather) but I'd say yes. Just summers and chains will probably mean chaining at the first sign of snow on a mountain road.
3, 4 +5, 4mm, fit 4 and 2chains for drive wheels.
6. Yes stick on deflectors.
7. UK sticker, hi-viz for all passengers (and in passenger compartment) plus documents etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MogulMonkey, as stated above it is unlikely you will need chains if got winter tyres, but (like others) we wanted to be completely covered so have chains.
But @JHS is right: you need to consult your vehicle handbook.
Our Skoda Kodiaq came with 19" wheels, but manual says chains only for 17" (6.5Jx17 ET38, 215/65 R17), so we bought the 17" rims to go with required tyre.
And somehow, 17" steel rims + tyres came out slightly cheaper than 19" tyres.
latest report
The Clermont Ferrand administrative court has annulled the winter tire law in the department saying it was disproportionate relative to the risks. This could form jurisprudence for other areas in France.
ski holidays
@MogulMonkey, If you are planning to go to Austria in the winter months then winter tyres of some description are a legal requirement (definition of a winter tyre noted above). A combination of snow chains and summer tyres is not an acceptable alternative (whatever the situation in other countries). You are unlikely to need snow chains in any case (very unlikely in March) unless you plan on driving away from the main roads, for example if you are staying in a farmhouse up above the valley.
latest report
Proper newbie question here. I'm due to change the tyres on my car shortly. I do about 12,000 miles per year. I would like to have the option of driving to the French Alps ( la Plagne ) next year. Is it daft to put on some all season tyres now, or will they wear horribly before going to the alps next year ?
ski holidays
@eblunt, If you are planning to keep the car for a while i'd put a set of summers on now and get them swapped over for M&S winters (not all season tyres if you are heading into the Alps and climbing steep roads like into La Plagne in winter) end November and run them until end February/ early March. Store your spare set in a garage if you can. that's what we do with our 2 cars and it works fine.
latest report
I was very impressed with all seasons last year but a summers’ wear and they got swapped for proper winters in December.
snow report
eblunt wrote:
Proper newbie question here. I'm due to change the tyres on my car shortly. I do about 12,000 miles per year. I would like to have the option of driving to the French Alps ( la Plagne ) next year. Is it daft to put on some all season tyres now, or will they wear horribly before going to the alps next year ?

Not daft at all. Last year I switched to all season tyres, in my case the Continental AllSeasons Contact. So far I haven't noticed any significant increased wear compared to summer tyres.
snow conditions
Quote:

There is no difference (these days) between winter and show tyres. Look for '3 Peaks' sign - that's what you need. They are both softer (for winter temperatures) and have a special thread which gets filled up with snow, improving the grip.

That!

Think of them not so much as "snow" tyres. They're "winter" tyres! Meaning they offer better handling when the ground is cold.

So, if the objective is to be have the "option" to drive to the Alps, a winter rated "all season" will offer that "option". Especially if where you live rarely gets near or below freezing anyway.

But if you intend to keep the car for a while, there's advantages of having dedicated "winter tyre". Namely, your summer tyres last twice as many years, as you only use them for half of each year! Very Happy So, although initially more expensive to purchase, you wouldn't need to replace either set for quite a few years. The cost eventually work out to be rather similar. You get the "option" to drive to the Alps. Plus the added benefit of better handling in the winter in your day-to-day driving.

In my view, forget the cost of the winter tyres alone. It'll work out just about the same over a few years. Instead, do you have storage space for the spare set? Do you mind the twice a year swapping? If you can handle those two inconvenience, you can benefit from having winter tyre.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-07-22 15:52; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@eblunt, If you are planning to keep the car for a while i'd put a set of summers on now and get them swapped over for M&S winters (not all season tyres if you are heading into the Alps and climbing steep roads like into La Plagne in winter) end November and run them until end February/ early March. Store your spare set in a garage if you can. that's what we do with our 2 cars and it works fine.

Don't I have to buy another set of rims as well ? Or pay for them to be swapped over ?
latest report
@eblunt, Yes can buy some alloy/ steel rims if you prefer but we just pay the local garage £40 to fit and balance them 2x a year.
ski holidays
@MogulMonkey, depending on the age of your Tiguan, you may be able to go into the setup menus - car/setup/lights and set "travel mode" to alter the beam pattern.

Alternatively, a couple of my cars have had adjustment levers behind the headlights.

I use Michelin Cross Climate all season (snowflake rated) tyres on my old RWD merc, which takes it from "undrivable" in the snow, to "gets up most things", and they also handle reasonably well in warmer/dry conditions as well.
latest report
My wife fitted some winter tyres last autumn then when she went back in the spring to have the general purpose tyres refitted the tyre company initially refused to swap them back insisting that they would only do this if they had sold her the general purpose tyres in the first place and could produce the receipts. She has much more persasive powers than me and evenetually got them changed. I think they were trying it on to get her to buy new tyres. We'll go elsewhere to have them swapped in the autumn.
snow report
@johnE, we use our local mobile service. He comes twice a year. We either need a new set of summers or we're swapping the car before the winter, so we still have the winters on.
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:

Not sure about other all-season tyres, but the CrossClimate 2 is reported to be very durable tyre and will last for years. They also carry on working well even when they are partly worn.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On our previous car our all-season Kleber Quadraxers lasted 30k on the front, and were still good after 50k on the back (when the car drowned). I used to swap summers/winters, but nowadays all-seasons are so good that's all I would ever buy.
latest report
@RobinS, yes, we will get all-season next time, but we've had the car a while and they weren't quite so good when we got the first winter set.
snow report
@Hells Bells, We only made the change to all-seasons when we changed car to the little Qubo. Also got cheap Nangkang all-seasons for the campervan, which we were glad of in Andorra in January. Will have to get more all-seasons for the C3 Picasso for next winter.
ski holidays
To answer the OP's questions:

Is there a difference between winter tyres and snow specific tyres?

Not as such. Look for the 3-peaks-and-snowflake designation for a winter tyre. This is an international standard. Stuff like 'M+S' doesn't mean anything. Winter tyres have (a) a compound chemistry that's biased towards cold weather (b) lots of crinkle-cut grooves called sipes that make the tread squirm and warm up faster and (c) a tread design that (1) gives more drainage in wet conditions and (2) retains snow on the surface (as snow-on-snow adhesion is much better than rubber-on-snow).

But like with summer tyres, there's a wide range of makes that are biased in various directions: some are biased towards snow-handling, whereas others give up some extreme snow handling for better traction in transitional conditions. Some are biased towards performance cars while others are more designed for SUVs and vans - and so on.

In an ideal world, you'd put winter tyres on during the winter. Even in the UK (although in England, you might go for a brand that's more wet-weather biased, rather than snow-biased. The trouble with summer tyres + chains alone is in transitional conditions, like light snow, and where you are alternating tarmac-snow-tarmac.

What is the recommended {minimum} tread depth for winter tyres to work effectively in the snow?

4mm - Yes this may seem excessively high, but I can attest that below this, snow handling capability falls off rapidly.

Probably looking at picking up a set of used tyres and will I need 4 or just the front 2 tyres?

Never mix winter and summer tyres. All four must be one or the other.

Usually only 2, on the driven wheels. On a 4WD vehicle, usually on the dominant drive wheels, but check your Owners Manual or with your garage, as there are exceptions.

And to answer some consequential questions:

Is there a good time to buy?

Yes, generally in the autumn. Tyre factories do their main production runs late summer to early autumn to build stock up for the winter. So that's when you get the most choice of what's in stock.

What's the difference between winters and all-seasons?

There's an overlap. All-seasons are a compromise between an ideal summer-biased tyre and ideal winter-biased tyre. Which is not a criticism. Unfortunately, there's no standard for what constitutes an all-season (unlike a winter) so you get into semantics. And this is why some all-seasons have the 3-peaks-and-snowflake designation: they sit at the cold/wet/snow end of the cross-climate range. But there will be brands that are even more cold/wet/snow-biased that are designated winters because they compromise too much to be viable in the summer.

Does the vehicle type make a difference?

Definitely. And this can lead to some confusion when people recommend brands. Most SUVs could benefit from being fitted with all-seasons as standard, year-round, rather than summers. This will be true for a lot of 'ordinary' (not in the pejorative sense) hatches, saloons and estates. The better winter handling more than makes up for the relatively small compromise over summer handling. But performance cars amplify those compromises: so for such vehicles, it's really better to have dedicated summer and winter tyres. e.g. our little Peugeot 206 has Michelin CrossClimate all-season tyres. But our 330 BHP BMW RWD Convertible has summers and a separate set of performance-biased, snow-biased winters.

The chains I'm considering buying say they fit my tyre. I assume that's OK?

No, no necessarily. The tyre designation tells you nothing about how much free space there is behind the wheel. Just because the chains fit the tyres it doesn't mean they'll be enough space behind the tyre and the suspension/brakes/steering for them to rotate safely on your particular vehicle (especially if it's an SUV or performance model). So you need to look in your Owner's Manual and see what that says, or ideally, get your garage to confirm that your wheel can take chains.

I live in Southern England - is there any point on my getting winter tyres just for a week's skiing every year?

For me, taking my car to the Alps each winter tips the balance strongly in favour of all-seasons or winters. Yes, if, you own a vehicle that's garaged in bad weather, or you have another car(s) for local journeys etc. then the decision can be more difficult. It can also be complicated if you have lease/company car that's changed every three years. But remember that all-seasons/winters have major advantages even in typical cool, wet British winters. And it's not as if you're burning more rubber: your unused summers last proportionately longer.

OK, so I've now spent a hefty sum on a set of winter tyres and wheels, do I really need chains as well?

Unfortunately, yes. There are still conditions where you'll need chains. This may not even be a snowmaggedon event - just that the parking for your apartment is at the bottom of a sloping drive that's like a sheet of ice. Or you're required to fit them by the Gendarmes. Yes, the odds are low, but it's a possibility.
snow conditions
@LaForet, very useful - except you cannot actually buy "summer" tyres in the UK they are either general purpose or winter. I have not read in any of my car's manuals that you must change your tyres to meat summer conditions.

Mind you with the temperatures we have seen recently I would not be surprised if such a recommendation does dos not occur soon to cope with melting asphalt
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
To answer the OP's questions:

Is there a difference between winter tyres and snow specific tyres?

Not as such. Look for the 3-peaks-and-snowflake designation for a winter tyre. This is an international standard. Stuff like 'M+S' doesn't mean anything. Winter tyres have (a) a compound chemistry that's biased towards cold weather (b) lots of crinkle-cut grooves called sipes that make the tread squirm and warm up faster and (c) a tread design that (1) gives more drainage in wet conditions and (2) retains snow on the surface (as snow-on-snow adhesion is much better than rubber-on-snow).

But like with summer tyres, there's a wide range of makes that are biased in various directions: some are biased towards snow-handling, whereas others give up some extreme snow handling for better traction in transitional conditions. Some are biased towards performance cars while others are more designed for SUVs and vans - and so on.

In an ideal world, you'd put winter tyres on during the winter. Even in the UK (although in England, you might go for a brand that's more wet-weather biased, rather than snow-biased. The trouble with summer tyres + chains alone is in transitional conditions, like light snow, and where you are alternating tarmac-snow-tarmac.

What is the recommended {minimum} tread depth for winter tyres to work effectively in the snow?

4mm - Yes this may seem excessively high, but I can attest that below this, snow handling capability falls off rapidly.

Probably looking at picking up a set of used tyres and will I need 4 or just the front 2 tyres?

Never mix winter and summer tyres. All four must be one or the other.

Usually only 2, on the driven wheels. On a 4WD vehicle, usually on the dominant drive wheels, but check your Owners Manual or with your garage, as there are exceptions.

And to answer some consequential questions:

Is there a good time to buy?

Yes, generally in the autumn. Tyre factories do their main production runs late summer to early autumn to build stock up for the winter. So that's when you get the most choice of what's in stock.

What's the difference between winters and all-seasons?

There's an overlap. All-seasons are a compromise between an ideal summer-biased tyre and ideal winter-biased tyre. Which is not a criticism. Unfortunately, there's no standard for what constitutes an all-season (unlike a winter) so you get into semantics. And this is why some all-seasons have the 3-peaks-and-snowflake designation: they sit at the cold/wet/snow end of the cross-climate range. But there will be brands that are even more cold/wet/snow-biased that are designated winters because they compromise too much to be viable in the summer.

Does the vehicle type make a difference?

Definitely. And this can lead to some confusion when people recommend brands. Most SUVs could benefit from being fitted with all-seasons as standard, year-round, rather than summers. This will be true for a lot of 'ordinary' (not in the pejorative sense) hatches, saloons and estates. The better winter handling more than makes up for the relatively small compromise over summer handling. But performance cars amplify those compromises: so for such vehicles, it's really better to have dedicated summer and winter tyres. e.g. our little Peugeot 206 has Michelin CrossClimate all-season tyres. But our 330 BHP BMW RWD Convertible has summers and a separate set of performance-biased, snow-biased winters.

The chains I'm considering buying say they fit my tyre. I assume that's OK?

No, no necessarily. The tyre designation tells you nothing about how much free space there is behind the wheel. Just because the chains fit the tyres it doesn't mean they'll be enough space behind the tyre and the suspension/brakes/steering for them to rotate safely on your particular vehicle (especially if it's an SUV or performance model). So you need to look in your Owner's Manual and see what that says, or ideally, get your garage to confirm that your wheel can take chains.

I live in Southern England - is there any point on my getting winter tyres just for a week's skiing every year?

For me, taking my car to the Alps each winter tips the balance strongly in favour of all-seasons or winters. Yes, if, you own a vehicle that's garaged in bad weather, or you have another car(s) for local journeys etc. then the decision can be more difficult. It can also be complicated if you have lease/company car that's changed every three years. But remember that all-seasons/winters have major advantages even in typical cool, wet British winters. And it's not as if you're burning more rubber: your unused summers last proportionately longer.

OK, so I've now spent a hefty sum on a set of winter tyres and wheels, do I really need chains as well?

Unfortunately, yes. There are still conditions where you'll need chains. This may not even be a snowmaggedon event - just that the parking for your apartment is at the bottom of a sloping drive that's like a sheet of ice. Or you're required to fit them by the Gendarmes. Yes, the odds are low, but it's a possibility.

This is the information you need - Beat post yet about this topic!

I live in Denmark that has similar climate to the English, but for the four weeks a year I sons in the alps with the car, I have winters. Try going up to Val T or Saint Sorlin on a snowy day, and you will know why winters are mandatory.

The wifey car have Goodyear all seasons, and it have no problem going up to let’s say Iscghl, but the road up there is also far better than small French mountainroads.

The answer: It depends:-)
ski holidays
@LaForet, Thank you. All seasons here I come for my 'ordinary' estate, having michelin cross climate2's fitted tomorrow Very Happy

Thanks to others for helpful info as well.
snow conditions
AS an alternative to buying (though not a cheap alternative) you can hire winter tyres - https://www.felthamtyre.co.uk/services/1/tyres.html

One question re the Michelin Cross Climate tyres is whether they work with run flat or Contiseal. We don't have a spare wheel so getting a puncture would be a problem.
snow report
Acknowledging that the OP was asking about the Alps, just an FYI that in the US that M&S designation is what the trooper is looking for at the chain control checkpoint. That'll get you past him anyway; the rest is up to you!

I'll also mention that there are all-season tires that are biased toward high mileage and others that focus more on winter traction and performance. I've had good runs with Michelin Pilot sports, which fall in the latter category. Not cheap but tires are not the place to scrimp. Today's AS tires are good enough for me to stop swapping tires twice a year which I definitely don't miss.

Saw a comment that you can't buy summer tires in UK? Interesting, but anyhow I bet you can buy an Audi that comes with them, though. Which I did in 2005, and learned as I introduced myself the backside of my car as it spun on cold, wet, bare, familiar pavement, that summer tires are just that. I'm a car guy, but honestly I was shocked at how bad they sucked in the cold.
ski holidays
Quote:

I bet you can buy an Audi that comes with them, though

Not in the UK. They come with standard general purpose tyres. I have an Audi and my wife has had a couple.
latest report
@MogulMonkey, you can rent winter tyres, it's an option I'm considering Very Happy https://www.felthamtyre.co.uk/services/1/tyres.html
ski holidays
radar wrote:
@MogulMonkey, you can rent winter tyres, it's an option I'm considering Very Happy https://www.felthamtyre.co.uk/services/1/tyres.html

25p a mile Shocked

A round trip to the Alps will set you back well over £300!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy