Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passport needed between France and Italy ?

Poster: A snowHead
So , we are in Chamonix and fancy going back to our place in champagny via thr Mont Blanc tunnel and therefore Italy . Only we didn’t think to bring passports . As brits , do we need them to go to Italy from France ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boulevardier, I wouldn't have thought so, as you're already in the Schengen zone?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - that’s what we were thinking …. Fingers crossed !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In theory yes, you do. But it'd only become an issue if you are random checked.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely not. But in theory you do need some sort of proof of ID.

It's a theory I've never seen put into practice, skiing between Italy, CH and France at various times, the latter two being almost an everyday event in the last few seasons here, but you do get the occasional scare story in the press about such things.

I always have my wallet with me, including my Swiss driving licence, so I don't normally carry my passport as well, although again, in theory, all foreigners in Switzerland are supposed to do so at all times. In practice the only time one gets checked is driving across the border, so I make sure I do have it in the car if I'm starting the ski day at Linga or Pre la Joux. But as I say, that's a general Swiss rule, nothing to do with crossing the border.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 28-07-22 12:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks , Pam - debate now ensuing over whether to take the risk or not !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boulevardier, in most countries you are required to carry ID with you. For locals that means an official ID document for Brits that means a passport (some countries will accept driving licence or even a credit card). Most of the time no one is going to check but if you were to be involved in a road accident or were stopped by the Police eg for speeding you would be required to show your passport. The chances of anyone checking going from France to Italy are small but if they did you would need passports or equivalent ID.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Love the way I can get such quick advice on Snowheads ! Thanks everyone .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
In theory yes, you do. But it'd only become an issue if you are random checked.

+1. Probably a reasonably high chance that you won't be stopped, but no guarantee. Perhaps a bit more likely if you are in a UK-registered car?

Do you (all) have some other form of photo id (driving licence etc), that would give you a chance if you were stopped? (I think in France a DL is an acceptable substitute for national id card?). And also proof of vaccination status or recent negative test ...?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went through Mont Blanc tunnel couple of weeks back, no-one checking anything. But had passports in car just in case. Likewise no issues going Italy - Switzerland and Italy - France
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got the bus from Courmayeur to Chamonix a couple of weeks ago. The bus driver was insistent that we had our passports withy us in the bus (rather than in luggage) in case we were checked at the border. We weren't.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would definitely chance it. Very slim chance of any issue.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd chance it too - if you get turned back, you've just wasted the cost of a passage through the tunnel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone - really useful advice . We had decided to chance it but as we approached the tunnel saw a sign saying there were delays of 1.5 hours . Arrgh !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm surprised that some people have said a passport is not necessary. Even before Brexit Brits needed a passport to get into Italy, didn't we? Not that they were usually checked when driving through the tunnels, which I did several times.
latest report
@pam w, do you mean before Schengen?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I'm surprised that some people have said a passport is not necessary. Even before Brexit Brits needed a passport to get into Italy, didn't we?

No, if you're already in one Schengen country you don't need a passport to cross into another one, but in theory you do need an accepted photo ID, which for many Brits may mean a passport (whereas most other countries have an id card or accept a driving licence).

Requirements for foreigners to carry an ID card or a passport at all times vary between countries, independently from any entry requirements.

As I've said, in practice I've never heard of anyone being checked while skiing across the border, and I really would not even think about it if I were you.
ski holidays
@boulevardier, yeah, I don't quite know what's going on but the tunnels had big queues last few days Shocked
ski holidays
I'm confused by Schengen, I confess, but as we never belonged to it, I don't think it's relevant to the question. We had, as members of the EU, "freedom of movement" within the EU, till Brexit, but we don't any more, and even then you needed a passport to fly to Italy - and passport numbers were inescapable for checking into flights. But now, surely, Brits don't have the right to just saunter into Italy, even if, at Schengen borders, checks are minimal/random. I'm flying to France next week and had stern message from easyJet that without my passport details, I'd not be getting on the plane.
snow report
And as for sailing into an EU port on a yacht, that's a whole 'nother set of hassles.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'd chance it too - if you get turned back, you've just wasted the cost of a passage through the tunnel.

That's okay if you are turned back from entering Italy at the tunnel. More of a problem if they let you through into Italy, but then later you get stopped from returning to France!
latest report
Yes, that's true. The more I think of it, the more I think that Brits need a passport to enter any EU country, even if local Schengen habits mean they get away without one at the border. Also, if anything goes wrong - such as needing hospital treatment, or being involved in even a very minor RTA, the lack of a passport could be a problem. So perhaps, on reflection, I wouldn't chance it!
snow conditions
My passport was stamped into France a couple of weeks ago, at Cherbourg (we arrived on a small boat). We left from Carentan, which is not a "port of entry". The local port manager assured us that if we sent the French online form in, that would be fine. An ensuing email conversation with the Police aux Frontieres (PAF) confirmed they'd received the form though it wasn't straightforward (my initial link didn't work, and I had to scan a hard copy and send the scan). Even when they'd received the form, they said we'd need to go into Cherbourg to get the passports stamped. That really didn't suit our plans so I asked whether there'd be a problem if the passports weren't stamped. No, they said, by rapid return of email, there'd be no problem. I'm going back to France (flying to Marseille) next week and it will be interesting to see what happens. If the border control person is affable I might ask whether they have the information that I left France last Sunday. In terms of the 90 days it doesn't matter to me, and I'll get the passport stamped when I leave Marseille, I guess.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@boulevardier, in most countries you are required to carry ID with you. For locals that means an official ID document for Brits that means a passport (some countries will accept driving licence or even a credit card).

Driving license is not valid ID. It is on the EU website. You need a Passport if you are a Brit and can be required to show it at the border. EU nationals need an ID car or Passport and are not required to show it at the border but may have their identity controlled randomly.

Also don't confuse what ID you are required to have internally on you at all times with what is required to cross borders.

Those are Schengen rules. I think Germany doesn't require you to carry Id.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 28-07-22 16:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If the border control person is affable I might ask whether they have the information that I left France last Sunday.

Interesting to find out
ski holidays
@davidof, where on the EU website? I looked and could find info about entering Schengen for non-EU citizens, but little about crossing internal borders.

On the contrary, this page https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/schengen-area_en indicates that there can be no 'border checks' at internal Schengen borders. There can be random 'police checks', which can include checking identity - but nothing to say that identity needs to be proved via a passport. Wouldn't local police just accept whatever is standard practice to validate identity in their jurisdiction?
ski holidays
Years ago, when I was living in Brussels, a police officer threatened to arrest me when I popped across the road from my flat, in my slippers, to post a letter on a quiet Sunday morning. I said I'd nip back to get my passport from the flat, which I pointed out to him, but he remained super-excited that I didn't have it on me. To be fair, if I'd got run over by a passing car, he would have had a point. I also got severely reprimanded, on another occasion, for jay-walking on a completely deserted street. They're very law-abiding there, or at least they were then (mid-70s).
snow report
I cannot recall any passport checks when moving between Schengen countries. Afterall many of us have driven through France, Germany, Austria, Italy and never showed a passport from Calais onwards. However, I think you should carry your passport with you at all times.

Last year when I first went to France after stamping was introduced they didn't stamp my passport on entry and only on exit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, Germany does require everyone to carry some form of ID, for foreigners a photo driving licence or at a push a credit card would be accepted. In Austria it has to be an official ID, which means passport for Brits (so yes you should take your passport when you go skiing). If there is some sort of check whether at a border or not Brits will need to produce a passport. The chances are driving from Chamonix to Bourg St Maurice there will be no check but if there was to be not having your passport will cause grief.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@davidof, Germany does require everyone to carry some form of ID, for foreigners a photo driving licence or at a push a credit card would be accepted. In Austria it has to be an official ID, which means passport for Brits (so yes you should take your passport when you go skiing). If there is some sort of check whether at a border or not Brits will need to produce a passport. The chances are driving from Chamonix to Bourg St Maurice there will be no check but if there was to be not having your passport will cause grief.

thanks I couldn't remember if it was one that required ID or not as it varies so much. I'm susprised to hear Brits driving around Chamonix without ID even if you don't require it in France.

I see Switzerland doesn't require ID but I've been asked for it post Schengen so I guess the police make up whatever rules they like. I'mnot sure doing a "clarkson in a loud English voice" will get you very far Happy.

http://youtube.com/v/5wrDJJt2ZeI

and the Europa website

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/index_en.htm

which seems different from the link above.
ski holidays
I regularly drive France into Italy and back, never been challenged France to Italy but have had to show ID coming back into France more than a few times across the frontier at Montgenèvre.

I've also been subjected to a control off the main routes.

Main reason is that I drive a van and the frontier is a major crossing point for immigrants.

Today we were waved straight through.

I've never been stopped on my bike though Laughing

A long time ago we were traveling from Serre to Orelle through the Fréjus tunnel, Italy back into France, and were stopped and two of my friends with me didn't have passports but had driving licenses and that was ok.
snow report
I’ve been stopped Chamonix to Courmayeur by the Italians. One person in the car didn’t have a passport but was let off. Italy to France has been occasionally checking everyone on the french side.
snow report
I'd rather have my passport with me than leave it in my less than secure hotel/chalet/apartment.
ski holidays
Boy gave border guards a laugh by roller skiing through from Italy to Switzerland Laughing
latest report
Did they cavity search him DEEP just on a point of principle? Because that's normally what gives the border guards a giggle.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@boulevardier, in most countries you are required to carry ID with you. For locals that means an official ID document for Brits that means a passport (some countries will accept driving licence or even a credit card).

Driving license is not valid ID. It is on the EU website. You need a Passport if you are a Brit and can be required to show it at the border. EU nationals need an ID car or Passport and are not required to show it at the border but may have their identity controlled randomly.

Also don't confuse what ID you are required to have internally on you at all times with what is required to cross borders.

Those are Schengen rules. I think Germany doesn't require you to carry Id.

That's correct davidof Eh oh! Italy requires you to have ID on you at all times as stated above (not DL). It's an offence to not have it. I can use my ID card or passport as an Italian/EU national. But my English OH needs to have her passport as the UK has no ID card.

Having done the Tunnel MB many times, sometimes they check, often not. Just depends.

Pays your money takes your chances, but at least you know!
ski holidays
We got stopped by a bus inspector in Rome the other week (we hadn't validated our tickets). First thing they asked for was ID, preferably passport but photocard licence was acceptable. OH never carries ID but luckily had her passport with her, I had my drivers licence.
snow report
They cut you some slack, not validating tickets is a fineable offence...it's basically fare dodging unless you date/time stamp the ticket in the machine when boarding. Hopefully they let you off though as it's not obvious if you don't know!

Italy is a land of laws and different interpretation and who you know and how lucky you are on the day!!

Passport is still the correct document to be carrying for foreigners in Italy.
snow report
@Sweedish, We hadn't realised and no, they didn't let us off. 54 euro fine each; lesson learned.
snow report
Ouch that sucks sorry! Imo that's an unfair tourist tax they seem to get away with in places like Venice and Rome. It should be more obvious for tourists who would not know otherwise!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy