Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Pay As You Go SIM Card

Poster: A snowHead
So......as a lot of French websites want a French phone number I thought that I'd buy an Orange PAYG SIM card. Trouble is I find that the credit expires in a very short time and you lose the number. Do any French providers offer a PAYG that doesn't expire like the ones that you can get in the UK.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Matt1959,if you are a Free broadband customer, you can get a free contract SIM. It is a very basic calls and data package, normally 2€, but FOC if you have your broadband with them. I didn't find a PAYG that didn't expire.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We got eSIMs when we went to Canada earlier this year which also gave us a +1 phone number.

That was a fixed cost for the 10 days we were there but this looks similar, gives you a French number (I think!) and is PAYG.

https://www.mobilitypass.com/sim/en/coverage_country?country=France&type=Pay%20as%20you%20go
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red by SFR is a no contract monthly SiM. Currently it's 5€ per month for 5G of data. You can cancel at any of time.

Not bad value if you want to pay a bit more for a SIM with more data too.

The other option but doesn't look such good value at the moment is Sosh by Orange. You only get 100MB for your 5€
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sno trax, SFR have the worst customer service I have yet encountered in France (after 16 years).

And they don’t work properly in Monaco.

I’d avoid SFR like the plague.

Bouygues also do no contract SIMs worth checking out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, SFR have just installed Fibre at our residence. Not quite complete, and I think I am OK to use another provider for my contract. I know others who have had dreadful experiences with them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, the two specific problems I have are,

1. if you need to complain about something they employ first line of call centre defence whereby you have to be really quite rude and shout a lot before you get connected to someone whose response is not, "it's all your fault"

2. If they want to upsell or query your contract cancellation, they will call you about once an hour until they've decided you are a lost cause.

Truly appalling.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have an sfr sim - the credit expires after 1 month or something, but the sim stays active. Whenever I'm not planning on being in France for a while I turn the phone on and send it a text from my uk mobile, it's kept the sim active.

Last top up was in Nov 2021, but received a lot of texts when was out in France in march, sent it a text a couple weeks ago and it still worked, I should do that again today, will be out in France from beg august so will buy more credit then
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basic Free sim is €2 pcm - I had that for a long while (double sim phone) and actually upgraded that to €17.50 and I use that for all my data (cut back my UK contract), and sometimes even at home as old school adsl can be so slow.

@Hells Bells, you've done well to get fibre - but is it connected into the building?

As that seems to be the problem with a lot of co-props we were told March and still waiting, I don't think I know anyone yet that has it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, yes, it was being installed in the hallways of each residence when we were there last week. We just have to arrange our own subscription once the work is signed off. Our coprop agreed the work at the AG last year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Matt1959 wrote:
So......as a lot of French websites want a French phone number I thought that I'd buy an Orange PAYG SIM card. Trouble is I find that the credit expires in a very short time and you lose the number. Do any French providers offer a PAYG that doesn't expire like the ones that you can get in the UK.
I have an Orange SIM (from ebay, delivered to the UK) You can get top ups which expire after a month, but the line will stay active for 6 months, it specifies that on the orange topup web site. I dont have to worry about sending messages to keep it active because every week I get an SMS telling me there is 220 EUR in someone else's bank account.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Matt1959, I was in a similar situation to you, I needed a French number to order furniture for our apartment.

I got a pre-paid sim from https://www.lefrenchmobile.com ; cost me €25 delivered to my UK address, but the credit doesn't have any time limit to be used up. If you go over 31 days without making or receiving a call I think they deduct €2 from your credit as a 'service charge', but I just make sure I turn the phone on once a month when i'm in the Uk and call it from my Uk mobile, answer the call then hang up, and i've never been charged. Still got around €21 credit on it and had it for ages now Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, with RED, there is no customer service, it is very much a self-service package. The first SIM I had was cancelled easy enough via web chat.

The second one I have had has rolled on for a few years now. Apart from cancelling the old one, I've never needed to contact them. Gives good coverage and speed as I use it in a 4G router. It's faster (and cheaper) than fixed line. Probably worth looking to see if there are better deals to around to swap to.

@Hells Bells, @Weathercam, our co-prop also agreed fiber install last year and has been going into each floor of our block in LaDaille. Once it's signed off I might look.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sno trax, tbh no contact with vile horrible humans would be better than the service we've had. We are definitely switching once our phone contracts are up in Nov however.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, I prefer a chat bot, they are programmed to try and be helpful. Plus, it's always easier to copy and paste into translate if it goes beyond the limits of my French.

Good luck with your switch later in the year. Very Happy
ski holidays
You could try the CloudSim app. It's an e-sim that provides me with a French mobile number and I just use my normal handset - you just open the app to make calls/send texts, and if anyone calls/texts you your phone responds as it normally would (slightly different ring/text tone if I remember correctly Smile )

I can't remember exact costs but I think it's approx £20+ for the year, and you have to buy credit on top to make calls/text. You can buy the number for shorter periods/less money up front, and it's easy pay extra to increase the period. I got mine when I was setting up the phone line/broadband for our apartment earlier this year. Quite a smart solution
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy