Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FIS SL Ski advice

Poster: A snowHead
I'm enjoying this thread. Very Happy Why? Because I'm @rwilson, 's coach Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski wrote:
I'm enjoying this thread. Very Happy Why? Because I'm @rwilson, 's coach Toofy Grin

Well! Well!

Just for my own enlightenment - why the need for a FIS ski, rather than a non FIS race ski with a decent Race Plate?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski wrote:

plot twist! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

why the need for a FIS ski, rather than a non FIS race ski with a decent Race Plate

Here you go.. Without wishing to share to much personal info about @rwilson, these comments apply to male Masters dryslope racing. Masters = over 30 years of age.

A FIS ski provides the right level of performance. On the dryslope we don't travel that fast, but we do need grip -- which this sort of ski provides. They aren't that demanding on plastic --- but they are proper race skis, so reward appropriate technique and tactics. The problem with non-FIS slalom ski/plate combinations is that there is a huge variation in what is marketed as an SL Race ski, so keeping up with what works or not is very challenging. Testing is not easy, and (IMV) changing skis from one brand to another (on plastic) does not hugely impact performace.

As far as trashing skis on the dryslope goes... well, all skiing destroys skis! My SLs (Rossignol Hero FIS SL) were bought specifically for use on plastic, and more or less never go on snow. If you are less good (like me), then skis last until there is no edge left to sharpen. Better (faster !) skiers will melt the base away from the ski.... But skiing slalom is so much fun that I think of skis the same way I think of tyres on my motorbike....

And here's a pic for you to scrutinise Very Happy

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uV7fdHieqF8CRUjM7

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 18-07-22 15:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ski, Thank you for taking the time to explain. Sounds sensible to me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:

You broke your binding! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You broke your binding! wink

Shocked Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski wrote:
Quote:

why the need for a FIS ski, rather than a non FIS race ski with a decent Race Plate

Here you go.. Without wishing to share to much personal info about @rwilson, these comments apply to male Masters dryslope racing. Masters = over 30 years of age.

A FIS ski provides the right level of performance. On the dryslope we don't travel that fast, but we do need grip -- which this sort of ski provides. They aren't that demanding on plastic --- but they are proper race skis, so reward appropriate technique and tactics. The problem with non-FIS slalom ski/plate combinations is that there is a huge variation in what is marketed as an SL Race ski, so keeping up with what works or not is very challenging. Testing is not easy, and (IMV) changing skis from one brand to another (on plastic) does not hugely impact performace.

As far as trashing skis on the dryslope goes... well, all skiing destroys skis! My SLs (Rossignol Hero FIS SL) were bought specifically for use on plastic, and more or less never go on snow. If you are less good (like me), then skis last until there is no edge left to sharpen. Better (faster !) skiers will melt the base away from the ski.... But skiing slalom is so much fun that I think of skis the same way I think of tyres on my motorbike....

Sounds like I need to get myself a pair of 155 FIS skis then to try out, that'll please the GF no end Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rwilson, did you manage to get a pair of FIS skis in the end?

I've got a pair coming from someone in the club, should get a go on them on Monday for the first time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
@rwilson, did you manage to get a pair of FIS skis in the end?

I've got a pair coming from someone in the club, should get a go on them on Monday for the first time.

Picked mine up tonight. Wow. What a difference. Took my skiing much closer to my snow ability, the stiffness of the FIS ski gave the feeling that I had a solid platform to press against, and they held their grip and just went where I wanted them to go. Race on saturday will be very interesting to see where they stack up time wise vs my previous skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, update, bought a pair of new 157 Atomic S9's in the end, a great ski, and also a pair of Atomic Redster 130 ti's fitted by Solutions for feet in Bicester who know their stuff. Now all set for the foreseeable future!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rwilson, I have the same and love then and I'm picking up a set of 165s in the next couple of weeks to use in the mountains
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, haha, I used to "race" on plastic at school and uni (I was rubbish) but this was the 70s and 80s and we just used any old crap as race skis were just longer and stiffer without adding much value.

A nice modern pair of SLs must make a huge difference in grip in comparison.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A nice modern pair of SLs must make a huge difference in grip in comparison

correct, can't imagine using a long ski on plastic back in the day - but being new to this dry slope lark, i'm still getting to grips with its all - the first time I used the skis and new boots it was a little tricky, but my last session was a decent step forward and my equipment now working with me as opposed to fighting/frightening me!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
[
A nice modern pair of SLs must make a huge difference in grip in comparison.

It does, with the dry slope, keeping the edges sharp is a huge must as well, as they blunt so quickly on the matting. Similar with wax, it strips off so quickly.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
For instance the Dynastar with R22 plate and SPX Rockerace binders feel very different to the non plated with rail bindings.

Yep, at the ski test last year I tried the (non-FIS) Dynastar 963 and the Masters SL - These are the same ski (so I was told) but 963 has the Konect rail system and Masters SL has the R22 plate. The difference was remarkable.
Also, I'm not sure what the binding delta is on the Konect system? The R22 plate is higher in the toe which offsets the binding delta to make the binding effectively flat (or about flat) - I suspect the konect might not, which would also make them feel different. Anyone know for sure?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy