Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
It's October already and there's only about 50 days until the new season starts! I normally wait for @offpisteskiing to kick things off, but I haven't seen anything started yet (apologies if it already has been!) so thought I'd get the ball rolling!

The good news is that we've already seen a dusting of snow all the way down to resort level in Val Thorens - and while it's still early, you'd hope that anything above 2500m has half a chance of hanging around

Most of us wouldn't have skiied last year at all, so I thought it was worthwhile re-posting the 'What's New' update from LaTania.co.uk from this time last year, as even though they're not new new, most of us wouldn't have seen or experienced any of the new changes.

Part 1: La Tania / Courchevel

Including development of the new World Cup 2023 piste, named L’Eclipse; in 1850 work on the new Stade and Racing HQ (completed?)

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2021-the-definitive-guide-part-1-of-3/

Part 2: Méribel / Mottaret

Including the new Bouquetin chairlift above Mottaret replacing the old Plattières bubble; changes to the Piste des Animaux which was part of the Disney Frozen II promotion

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2021-the-definitive-guide-part-2-of-3/

Part 3: Val Thorens / Orelle / Les Menuire / St Martin

Including - new ice rink in VT (La Patinoire); New gondola from Orelle sector to Cime Caron; New bottom to top Gondola at La Masse in Les Menuire

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2021-the-definitive-guide-part-3-of-3/

Hopefully they'll be an updated 2021/22 version of the above out soon...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Tania also remodelled the beginners area, and re-routing skiers above it so should be a much more enjoyable area for beginners to ski without being passed by skiers tucking to get over the flat section back to the gondola!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone know if Boot Lab are still going? Website was down when I looked.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, Any news if the Chatelet chair has been repaired? It was avalanched this year and bottom bit wiped out. I would assume it has been given new Bouquetin chairlift
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're going to be in Meribel in January, assuming nothing happens Covid wise!

Looking forward to it, it'll be nearly a decade since I was last there, so will be good to reacquaint with the area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
@Handy Turnip, Any news if the Chatelet chair has been repaired? It was avalanched this year and bottom bit wiped out. I would assume it has been given new Bouquetin chairlift

It's on the new piste maps, with no indication that it's closed or in a state of repair, so I agree, I would assume it's been repaired. You can also see the new Bouquetin lift.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good work @Handy Turnip, have been a bit busy with work and other stuff so good to see a 3V thread kicked off!!

@Rhoobarb, as far as I am aware they should be - I know Tom & Gav so will ask next time I see one of them and let you know… Wouldn’t surprise me if they have let the website go to mothballs during the ‘pandemonium’….
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Confirmation from S3V that the Saulire Cable Car will be out for the season.

The accident happened when performing a bi-annual stress test running it at maximum load and maximum speed - way more than in normal operational.

These tests are performed to ensure the absolute safety of passengers in normal public use.

There are still another 3 fast lifts to get up Saulire and across to Méribel (although the highest point to access Grand Couloir and the Panoramic Restaurant - if it opens - is a bit of a hike up or via the Saulire Express 2 Gondola from the Méribel side).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rhoobarb wrote:

The latest is they will definitely be opening, but probably only the Meribel shop. tbc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Méribel is rubbish anyway. Will they be discounting the lift pass? Or they could subsidise the price of a beer in town...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Méribel is rubbish anyway
Yes - not a single run (either on or off piste) that is worth skiing. It's a total waste of time.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Méribel is rubbish anyway
Yes - not a single run (either on or off piste) that is worth skiing. It's a total waste of time.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

haha agreed - it also keeps the poor people out of Courchevel. I hate it when they rub up against Armani Snowsuit !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect this may put quite a bit of pressure on Vizelle (if going up from Courchevel) at peak times. For those staying in La Tania, the best option would be to head to Meribel and then up the Saulire Express. I'm so bloody desperate to get out there that I've just saved the 3V piste map on my desktop.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing wrote:
Rhoobarb wrote:

The latest is they will definitely be opening, but probably only the Meribel shop. tbc.

That’s good news.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cant seem to buy a season pass on the official site. Any reasons?
ski holidays
sparkzter wrote:
Cant seem to buy a season pass on the official site. Any reasons?

They're only sold in person at a ticket office so they can take your photograph and link it to the pass.
latest report
Link it to the Covid pass or link the photo to the ski pass?

Just asking as we have bought our season passes online before.
latest report
@Raceplate,

Thanks for that.
snow report
Just a quick shout-out to this wonderful chap who posts endless pictures of new ski lifts and other developments in the Three Valleys:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skifan/
snow report
L0ve2ski wrote:
Link it to the Covid pass or link the photo to the ski pass?

Just asking as we have bought our season passes online before.
The ski pass. They don't sell more than a 21 day pass online anymore and haven't for at least 3-4 years. It's to prevent fraud (pass sharing).

For anyone that doesn't know:
With a normal pass, an automatic photo is taken of you the first time you activate a lift and then flashes up on screen at the major lift checkpoints for the rest of your stay. Obviously, for most people, it's only 6 days and sharing is not common so a photo in helmet, goggles, buff etc. is sufficient. For seasonaires, they want a proper photo to distinguish between say, TO staff that are all in the same uniform.

And don't get caught borrowing a pass! A mate of mine borrowed a seasonaire's pass for a weekend many years ago and got caught by the cameras. They confiscated the pass and charged him €400 to get it back at a time when the season pass was around €800. Expensive weekend! Laughing
snow report
@Raceplate, that may be right if you don't have an account already and a pass that can be recharged-which I'm 99% certain we did for the 2019/20 season.
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
@Raceplate, that may be right if you don't have an account already and a pass that can be recharged-which I'm 99% certain we did for the 2019/20 season.
Yes, I think you're right, recharging would still work but you probably bought the original pass physically so your photo is already stored.
latest report
@kitenski,

Just confirming that you mean the saulire express is our foe the entire season?

My father in law was looking forward to getting the cable car to folie douce!
ski holidays
Saulire cable car in Courchevel is out of action not the Saulire Express gondola in Méribel. If going to the Folie from Courchevel, you still have Vizelle, Marmottes and Suisses to get over the top or you can go via La Tania.
latest report
@Raceplate,

Ok thank you for clarifying! My father in law doesn’t ski so it’s one of the few places he go and enjoy a lift journey up to a fun restaurant!

Glad to hear it’s the wrong lift I had in mind Eh oh!

Is saulire the lift that one often uses to get back to meribel from courchevel?
ski holidays
@L0ve2ski, well I'm tempted to say, 'How would I know what way you often use to get back to Méribel?' Laughing but facetiousness aside, it is the most direct route {if not always the quickest} so it could be. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
L0ve2ski wrote:
@Raceplate,

Ok thank you for clarifying! My father in law doesn’t ski so it’s one of the few places he go and enjoy a lift journey up to a fun restaurant!

It’s one of the routes back but I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as the most pleasant … particularly at the end of the day. Lanches lift above La Tania, dropping down to the Altiport is much more civilised …
snow report
Am I right in thinking that with Saulire cable car out of action for the season, coming from Meribel will mean better access to Grand Couloir on a powder day, so better chance of fresh pow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, Méribel will be the only direct access to Grand Couloir. Also means that the Courchevel pisteurs will have to skin up or come via Méribel though so I wonder if it'll have reduced/delayed opening. Must make early morning avi control more awkward.
ski holidays
@Raceplate,

Very Happy

I seek to think that was a suggested route getting back. And it became our go to.

@franga,

I will have to check that out on the map.

We only had a few weeks there as we got our apartment December 2019.

Am looking forward to exploring more! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
Yes, Méribel will be the only direct access to Grand Couloir. Also means that the Courchevel pisteurs will have to skin up or come via Méribel though so I wonder if it'll have reduced/delayed opening. Must make early morning avi control more awkward.

Given the number of snowmobiles/piste machines etc at the disposal of the S3V I would be very surprised to see any pisteurs skinning up to the Saulire to do avvy control!!

In some ways it could be a good thing though as, like the 'Freeride area' at Creux Noirs, a short walk for those arriving from the Vizelle/Suisses side will definitely keep some numbers down, but I will be sad to miss the early season 'nail a couloir + the continuation pitches down to the mid-station in time to hop on the same cabin that just dropped you off' fitness training!
snow report
Any news on the potential bubble from Bozel? I’m sure I saw something pre covid that it was looking much more likely?
snow conditions
About to pull the trigger on an Airbnb in Val Thorens over the Easter weekend.

It'll be myself and girlfriend, which it'll be fine for, but her sister and partner are coming as well, and it'll be their first trip, although they're planning on some lessons at a snowdome beforehand.

It's been a while since i've been to Val T, am I ok assuming that the triangle sort of area between the Cascades lift and the 2 Lacs lift will be fine for them? Sisters partner will be fine, but Sister is likely to be quite cautious. I know there's the magic carpets right in the centre that'll be fine for them to begin with, but would be good for them to then progress and on the map, they look like they could be decent areas to move up to.

Beyond that it then looks like a decent amount of blue pistes of the Caron lift, and they can lap around the Cairn lift also. Maybe also the Tête ronde piste off the Peclet lift as well?

Thanks
ski holidays
@swskier, yes that triangle is perfect for first time skiers. I assume they'll be getting lessons so you can take a steer from where the instructor takes them.

From that triangle, once they get a few days under their belt, the blues Gentiane, Hermine, then Plein Sud (in the morning), Pluviometre, Moraine and Tete Ronde are the ones to progress too.
snow conditions
L0ve2ski wrote:
@Raceplate,

I think the problem for a non skier is that you could catch the bubble up to vedon and then the tin can up to saulire and then catch the lifts down into merible, then repeat on the way home. Now though from courchevel it will be chair lifts only from Verdon and on the way back as well. This would mean that you'd have to have skis or a board on to get into Meribel to get to folie.
snow report
@Handy Turnip, thanks. As we're only there for 4 days skiing, they probably won't have any lessons, but instead i'll be helping them out. I'll have finished my shadowing hours and be Level 1 qualified, and we will all ski around together, and it'll be good teaching practise for myself as well, and will definitely help when I do my Level 2 next year.

Have spotted all those pistes on the map, I remember Plein Sud from my last trip as that's the run down from La Folie Douche and remember how mental that run is around 5pm!
ski holidays
@swskier, be *very* *very* careful giving any form of instruction in France!
ski holidays
@kitenski, I'll be sure to make it clear i'm family and i'm just helping them....
snow report
swskier wrote:

Have spotted all those pistes on the map, I remember Plein Sud from my last trip as that's the run down from La Folie Douche and remember how mental that run is around 5pm!

Yes that's the one, and that's one of the reasons why I specified the morning for that one. To avoid the File Douce mob in the afternoon crashing all over the place on the run. The other reason is that it's south facing so gets the full force of the sun, and at Easter will be one of the first runs to get soft and horrible. I'd only ski the runs over that side in the morning.
ski holidays
@swskier, just chat on lifts, lift queues - don't get them lined up in front of you, or doing drills behind you etc etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy