Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blackouts for Saunas & Ski Lifts this Coming Winter.

Poster: A snowHead
""Nun aber droht Lichterlöschen, im wahrsten Sinn des Wortes.""

but now there is a threat of lights going out, in the truest sense of the word.

https://www.msn.com/de-ch/nachrichten/other/blackout-f%C3%BCr-saunas-und-skilifte-branche-warnt-vor-stromkrise-im-winter/ar-AAY1488?

In Austria there are some rumours circulating the the Lifts may close for 60-90mins at Lunch Time next season.... This used to be quite normal back in 70's early 80's
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I knew this was by Stantit as soon as I saw the title Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MorningGory, yeah we really shouldn’t perpetuate his crap Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MorningGory wrote:
I knew this was by Stantit as soon as I saw the title Very Happy Very Happy

Ditto Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MorningGory wrote:
I knew this was by Stantit as soon as I saw the title

Not checking for an existing thread on a topic is a giveaway too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

In Austria there are some rumours circulating the the Lifts may close for 60-90mins at Lunch Time next season.... This used to be quite normal back in 70's early 80's

wouldnt affect many french skiers in france then, usual 2 hour lunch break taken, they will not notice any difference Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MorningGory, maybe admin could change his name to @theharbingerofdoom
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awdbugga wrote:
@MorningGory, maybe admin could change his name to @theharbingerofdoom

Or Private Frazer. Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/sxqvwkmTNy8
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Awdbugga, @Alastair Pink, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Battle for Keeping the lights on in Vienna ...

ÖVP-Tourismussprecher Hörl will lieber Strom für Seilbahnen als für Städte

ÖVP tourism spokesman Hörl wants electricity supply for cable cars rather than for cities

Franz Hörl calls for security of supply in view of the impending energy crisis. He wants to "fight back" if electricity is produced exclusively "for the city"

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000137173158/oevp-tourismussprecher-hoerl-will-lieber-strom-fuer-seilbahnen-als-fuer

Enjoy Austrian satire ..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

https://dietagespresse.com/tirol-seilbahnen-erhalten-menschenrechte
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm surprised this issue not being discussed more seriously as it may not be far off being existential threat to next year's skiing. Barring some unforeseen turns in events it seems almost certain there will not be enough electricity supply across Europe next winter to supply all needs; how much of shortage hard to predict. But at this moment in time I think it's difficult to expect it will be business as usual. I would predict fewer lifts open, shorter opening hours (possibly shorter season); little or no snowmaking, and none of that associated with any discount in price. Austria+/- Italy likely to be most affected, but nowhere escaping
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, food for thought, no question. What would we do as ski area operators in this unenviable situation? "This situation" also including, I'd think, continued labor shortages. I can see them being closed Mondays and Tuesdays, and having operating hours equal to a normal shift interval.

In the bad optics department, I expect we can kiss the seat heaters goodbye for a while! They always seemed a bit much anyway.

Would they run some lifts on diesel backup power, or is that just robbing Peter to pay Paul?

My impression is that winter tourism in Italy is dependent on snowmaking, and that they know it. But its no stretch to expect them to have to cut back anyway.

This is really just a dress rehearsal for what's coming....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it depends to some extent where the electricity comes from. Here, all our power is locally produced via hydro stations. This includes our domestic and commercial supplies, the local railways and the ski lifts. The same goes for many of the mountain regions in CH.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Yeah, food for thought, no question. What would we do as ski area operators in this unenviable situation? "This situation" also including, I'd think, continued labor shortages. I can see them being closed Mondays and Tuesdays, and having operating hours equal to a normal shift interval.

In the bad optics department, I expect we can kiss the seat heaters goodbye for a while! They always seemed a bit much anyway.

Would they run some lifts on diesel backup power, or is that just robbing Peter to pay Paul?

My impression is that winter tourism in Italy is dependent on snowmaking, and that they know it. But its no stretch to expect them to have to cut back anyway.

This is really just a dress rehearsal for what's coming....

If this scenario plays out it is a concern for those of us that are spending big money for intercontinental travel to ski in Europe. I'd handle a shorter ski day and perhaps a break for lunch but not running lifts on some days would be hard to take. I guess there are tourists like myself that would be happy to ski self propelled but my wife for example wouldn't be a fan of that idea. I wonder if there will be clarity before season passes go on sale?
Thinking selfishly here - where do the big French hills source their power from? I'm guessing not hydro @telford_mike?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sbooker, From Wikipedia, In 2020, nuclear power made up the largest portion of French electricity generation, at around 78%.Renewables accounted for 19.1% of energy consumption.
So that makes fossil fuels (which may be in short supply) only 2.9%.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_France
snow conditions
@telford_mike, where are the Swiss on nuclear these days?

I know they'd followed the Germans in going anti-green on the greenest energy source a few years back.

Also, If therevwas a countrywide electricity shortage, I presume that's managed at Federal level?
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Thanks Alastair. Always a fountain of knowledge. And yes I could have done a google search in hindsight - just lazy I guess.
Kind of on the topic and sorry to derail the thread but most people and politicians in Australia won't even have the nuclear conversation.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, French nuclear power has taken a dive over the last few months, by about 10 GW, I think due to reactor shutdowns. The UK- French interconnector used to flow both ways through the year, particularly towards the UK in the summer. It has been virtually one way for the last 2 months or so. But France does seem to be exporting a bit to Italy, but importing from other European countries. How much of these UK exports are due to our ability to import LNG, I don't know, but we are burning gas that we don't need to this month to produce electricity.

All the detail for the last year is here, as well as instant readout, beware it can become quite compelling!

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

(There's a wee French icon top left)
snow report
@chocksaway, interesting link!
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

I know they'd followed the Germans in going anti-green on the greenest energy source a few years back.

Also, If therevwas a countrywide electricity shortage, I presume that's managed at Federal level?

Originally there were 5 nuclear stations. 2 have been closed, and they're closing down the remaining 3 stations (it'll take years though), but happy to buy nuclear generated power from elsewhere, needless to say. One of the remaining 3 (Beznau) is the oldest operational commercial reactor in the world. And yes, the Federal Council are developing some sort of strategy for the cities in the north, which rely not only on imported electricity, but gas too.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@chocksaway, interesting link!

Cool, bookmarked that!
snow report
under a new name wrote:

rolling eyes
latest report
@TheGeneralist, what's the eye roll for? Perhaps I should have said greenest baseload energy source? Although per the article on the nuclear thread, not entirely clear that e.g. wind/solar/etc. actually any greener, all told.
snow report
How will it work when Germany doesn't have enough electricity to meet basic / essential needs? Would power from France be diverted to Germany? Leading to some shortages in France?
latest report
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/08/risk-of-conflict-and-strife-in-europe-over-energy-crisis-eu-deputy-warns
ski holidays
Energy restrictions will be part of 2022/2023

Switerland

Almost 33,000 large consumers informed about preparations for electricity shortages

https://www.bwl.admin.ch/bwl/de/home/themen/energie/elektrizitaet/ostral.html

https://www.ostral.ch/de

I doubt Ski Areas will be spared ..,,,..
snow report
This is a concern, and fair play to @stanton, for flagging it. I know as examples St Anton lifts are 100% powered by the local hydro EWG from Kartellsee, I know the whole of the town was re-piped 3 summers ago for a combined heating system to all hotels etc powered by the same. Similarly Lech is 100% self sufficient via Biomass, however i'd have thought the government could quickly tap into those resources for the greater population of the country should the need arise.

Hope i'm wrong but I think next season could be a challenge on many fronts for the Alps, both economically in respect of visitor reduced footfall, plus outages/ shortages of power.
snow conditions
Anyone got any recommendations for a high resort at Christmas that has a good electricity record?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead wrote:
How will it work when Germany doesn't have enough electricity to meet basic / essential needs? Would power from France be diverted to Germany? Leading to some shortages in France?
ironically Germany is exporting power to France right now cos so many French nukes are offline...
https://www.merkur.de/bayern/atomkraftwerke-bayern-auswirkungen-preis-kosten-deutschland-frankreich-strom-gas-91651098.html
ski holidays
Little Martin wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations for a high resort at Christmas that has a good electricity record?

Not high, but there shouldn’t be any power shortages at Glenshee. It’s all off grid.
There may still be some ski resorts elsewhere that also generate their own power? Parts of Tignes used to but I think those days are over now.
latest report
@Markymark29, why reduced visitors?
latest report
@under a new name, European wide squeeze on people’s disposable income, fuel price rises, energy, travel etc. I for one won’t be skiing as much as I have done previously. Bookings will be down next season as prices rise.
ski holidays
The Malgovert hydro system which starts in Tignes still produces enough electrickery for 400k people, but as it's connected to the grid, needs must I guess. There is a small local hydro system but it's quite small, same for the new sewage works, but that produces enough to run the sewage works.
snow report
@Markymark29, hmmm fuel price rises in France certainly being mitigated, at least to an extent by government. uk in trouble certainly.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
This is a concern, and fair play to @stanton, for flagging it .

Thanks

Markymark29 wrote:
I know the whole of the town was re-piped 3 summers ago for a combined heating system to all hotels etc powered by the same.

Not Quite.. Only Phase 1 has been completed ... & came in under budget ...

Phase 2 will pipeline other parts of the Comnunity.(Nasserein, Oberdorf). They expected 5-10yrs to expand but now A Second Boiler is being expedited because of the energy crisis... but construction (materials) have significantly increased

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/nahwaerme-anlage-st-anton-am-arlberg-gesegnet_a5452897

http://nwsa.at/
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Markymark29, hmmm fuel price rises in France certainly being mitigated, at least to an extent by government. uk in trouble certainly.

Mitigations against the cost of living crisis here too. All Band D council tax properties and below have received 150 quid back. Those on the lowest incomes also started to receive payments this week via Universal credit system. All properties will get 400 quid off energy bills this winter.

There has been some shouting from the left over here about France ordering big business to reduce electricity bills. It's very easy when the French Government own 85% of EDF; it just reduces the government take.
latest report
@chocksaway, and is a strong argument that some organisation and functions ought to be state owned and directed.
snow report
@under a new name, But only if it works, France's nuclear generation is running at 47% next week, due to safety shutdowns, delayed maintenance and temporary minor reductions due the rivers being too hot to cool effectively.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, indeed.
latest report
Little Martin wrote:

Tignes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy