Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here so go easy on me Very Happy

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Solden with the aim of attending the Giant Slalom World Cup race on 22nd/23rd October and then hopefully some skiing on the glacier for us (2 adults, 2 children) the rest of the week - have any of you been to this event before and able to offer some help and info please?

I almost always book our trips on a DIY basis but we have never been to Austria and Im struggling a little with this one...although our flights to Innsbruck and hire car are sorted.

The closest Iv got to a ski race is Eurosport and Ski Sunday so I know next to nothing about how to go about it and google searches are not helping on this occasion unfortunately - am I right in thinking that the finish line is in Solden town rather than being up on the mountain or am I completely wrong lol

Where do you buy a spectators ticket from? Iv been onto the Solden website (https://www.soelden.com/skiworldcup) but the ticket prices bit is not working and there does not seem to be a facility to buy tickets? Have I missed the boat and they are sold out? That would be just my luck Hahah!

Many thanks and apologies if I begin firing more questions across Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I usually go to Sölden the other end of the season, but I have some mates who go to the race every year.

I have not been to those races, but the videos I've seen are on the Rettenbach glacier. There's a black marked on the piste map up there which runs down to the stands at the bottom. At that time of year I'd expect you'd drive up the glacier toll road, park up there, and walk over to the stands. So not finishing in the valley bottom. The road's a toll, so they could charge you, but I don't know how that all works.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there last year as my daughter was boardercross training the next valley along in Pitztal.

Finish line is up by the main center on the Rettenbach glacier with plenty of parking behind it or a little further along on the Tiefenbach glacier.

Don't know about tickets but I guess side view on the slopes would be free access and finish line needs tickets but I'm only guessing. Not 100% sure on what happens on race day as I left on the Saturday morning.

Expect half of the glaciers to be set aside for junior/club race training, although if the weather god's smile on you there is still plenty of room.

Toll road is free/included with your lift pass.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys.

Id seen pictures of the finish area with cars in the background so assumed it was in the valley. Im going to email them to find out about buying tickets.

Do you have any recommendations on where to stay while there? Langenfeld has some realy decent apartments on Airbnb at a good rate but is there much going on in Langenfeld or
would we better off staying in Solden?

Many thanks again
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi PortSki. For info, the glacier is a 20-25 minute drive up a very alpine road - think 10 or 12 hairpins - but not a bad drive as mountain roads go. Or, it's free on the ski bus if you are in ski kit, with ski gear. We used both bus and car for access in May. The bus was great but could be busy when the skl race is on.

One other point to consider is that the road to the glacier is a toll road. It's free on the ski bus but you do need to pay if you drive up yourself.

It would be great to see the race but, unfortunately, it takes place on the best (ie steepest) recreational piste on the Rettenbach glacier. There is still some decent skiing though - served by T bars to spectators' left as you look up the mountain.

The Tiefenbach Glacier - over the back of Rettenbach Glacier - is also covered on the lift pass. It is accessed from Rettenbach by gondola (if that is in public use when the racing is on?) or via the road tunnel from Rettenbach. It is quite gentle on its lower section.

Längenfeld is OK for amenities, food and drink etc and is a pleasant enough place. More a functioning large village than a ski resort though. Having said that - and race atmosphere aside - I would think Sölden will be very quiet at that time of year.

I found the tourist office very helpful when I contacted them with an email enquiry in April. They responded very swiftly. I'm sure they will advise on tickets for the ski racing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
(If you have a lift pass, then the toll road is also free, just slow down, flash the pass, and they let you through.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks again for the replies folks.

I wouldnt be skiing on the race days, but will be hoping to get on piste on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Iv found a cracking apartment just outside of Solden in Zwieselstein which I believe is on the bus route between Solden and Obergurgl.

Very excited at the prospect of getting back on snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
Hi PortSki.

One other point to consider is that the road to the glacier is a toll road. It's free on the ski bus but you do need to pay if you drive up yourself.

Isn't the toll road free if you buy a ski pass? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Solden Tourist Info got back to me re: tickets for the race and they go on sale some time in august but they couldnt tell me what date or how much they will be Laughing Helpful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PortSki, Its pretty normal for the Tourist offices and hotels to be quite disorganised about upcoming season until they've all got back from their summer holidays, here in UK we like to have plans made for next season as soon as one winter season is done, in Austria ime folks seem a bit more relaxed about it, probably because they know the snow will come and they live there after all so don't need to make such long term plans. I'd also like to see the Solden races at some point, should be fun. Enjoy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, our continental cousins are a lot more lassez faire - meanwhile iv got holidays booked and iteneraries planned for the next two years NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PortSki wrote:
Thanks again for the replies folks.

I wouldnt be skiing on the race days, but will be hoping to get on piste on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Iv found a cracking apartment just outside of Solden in Zwieselstein which I believe is on the bus route between Solden and Obergurgl.

Very excited at the prospect of getting back on snow.

I stayed in Zwieselstein the last time I went to the Otztal; dead easy for bus to Solden, Obergurgl and Vent. A couple of decent bars/restaurants in the two hotels but not a lot else other than apartments and guest houses. No shops, for any essentials, for example.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tickets to both races are now on sale - Just got a weekend ticket for a very reasonable 40euros. Can not wait to see my first ski race in person!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1444029&highlight=#1444029
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ghost Dog wrote:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1444029&highlight=#1444029

AMAZING!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
A fun racing-geek factoid is that the toll road goes through the Rosi Mittermaier tunnel, and if you didn't drive up there you ski over it leaving the area.
snow report
I didn't know that - thanks. But you only drive through there if you go to the Tiefenbach; I almost always stop at the Rettenbach base, so I don't think I've ever driven through that. You don't ski over it at season's end either, as you don't want to go down that valley wink

Now I have to google down who Rosi Mittermaier was/ is.
snow report
What an absolutely fantastic day at my first ski race!

Got up to the Rettenbach area far too early (8am) as wasn’t sure what it would be like but bagged a great spot.

As for the race, Marco Odermatt took the spoils.

Iv had an awesome time and now looking forward to getting some time skiing myself tomorrow (weather permitting) and the rest of the week.
latest report
Conditions certainly look good on Eurosport...
ski holidays
albob wrote:
Conditions certainly look good on Eurosport...

Rain and thunder forecast tomorrow unfortunately. Tuesday and Wednesday should be good though!
snow report
Quote:
Rain and thunder forecast tomorrow unfortunately. Tuesday and Wednesday should be good though!
Looking forward to your skiing report PortSki! Any autumn turns are always such a bonus Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Conditions certainly look good on Eurosport

Interesting video (in German) showing the course building etc - 1"28 shows the state of the terrain before there's any snow Shock

http://youtube.com/v/mGPfcu9Jm9s
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Looking forward to your skiing report PortSki! Any autumn turns are always such a bonus Very Happy

Absolutely perfect on Tuesday. Unexpectedly dropped 15cm of fresh snow overnight plus sunny blue skies! I was accidentally one of the first up there as info pamphlet said it was open from 8am so arrived up to Rettenbach gondola promptly at 8 - only to find that the lift didnt start until 9am Laughing The only people there were race teams so as I got up to the top I was one of the first ones to head through the ski tunnel to the Tiefenbach side of the mountain and it was just a dream. Wide open, freshly groomed piste with pockets of powder to the sides. Unbelievable.

I got a couple of runs in before it started to get a little busier but still not too bad.

Kid behind me on T-bar lift somehow managed to get his bag hooked on the lift as he got off launching it 20 feet in the air and a hefty stoppage of the lift while they struggled to get it back down Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Sounds fantastic PortSki - great stuff Very Happy
snow report
Sounds good - bring it on!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy