Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reccomendation - Alta Baia or Kronplatz

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just looking to see if anyone has stayed in Alta Badia or Kronplatz (even better if you stayed in Hotel Ciasa Soliel or Hotel Petrus respectively). Having difficulties choosing between the 2.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on what you want from the resort.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158987&highlight=
And an alternative view
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158864&highlight=

I am sure someone will give you a view on Alta Badia shortly.
Kronplatz is more "out on a limb" and Alta Badia gives easier access to the Sella Ronda and more mainstream areas

Which makes me prefer Kronplatz but everyone is different
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in San Cassiano (Alta Badia) twice, both at the Steinrosl. SC is very quiet, I love it, but note there is almost no nightlife. AB has mostly easy skiing but connects well with adjacent areas with more difficult terrain. I'll stay there again but I prefer the skiing at Kronplatz. There are more black runs, and more long runs due to the greater vertical at K. Also a very good lift system as long as you don't mind gondolas, which they have in spades. There are also two good museums at the summit. If you like long, fast cruising laps, check it out even if you stay at AB. If you don't have a car, there is a bus between Sponata (AB) and Piculin (K).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So I like to be different. I was disappointed by kronplatz. Probably because the weather was warm and the lovely long blacks and lower runs were horrid slush. A great beginner resort though as lovely gentle long blue runs on the main plateau

Alta badia is directly, if slightly on a limb, connected to the sella ronda and has huge benefit for that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you haven’t skied the Dolomites before, go with Alta Badia, the vista will blow you away.
If you have skied the Dolomites before, try Kronplatz. Unlike the Sella Ronda they have proper long runs and proper long blacks. The vista is more alpine than Dolomite tho.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Unlike the Sella Ronda they have proper long runs and proper long blacks.

La Villa and the other side of Arabba?

Sasslong is pretty long.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AL9000, Kronplatz is mostly made up of long runs. Sella Ronda is mostly made up of not that long runs.
Both are great areas.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

Unlike the Sella Ronda they have proper long runs and proper long blacks.

La Villa and the other side of Arabba?

Sasslong is pretty long.

If you stay in La Villa - Kronplatz is an easy day out (and Kronplatz is only small - 1-2 days of skiing and you might get bored if located there ?).

Plus you have Alta Badia (and the rest of the SR ) right on your doorstep.

Its also cheaper to stay there than Selva / Corvara.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If you stay in La Villa

A very good idea.

Plus the charming Santa Croce area on your doorstep.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Santa Croce area and visit the little chapel presumably of Santa Croce, at the top and the restaurant next door was very pleasant a few years ago.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everyone is different but for me Alta Badia every time but typically we like to get out the door and ski off to somewhere for the day.

If you have ski school every morning so have limited time and like longer blacks it's a closer call. We only spent a day at Kronplatz but will go back for another day, it's a strange resort compared to others in the area as it's primarily one mountain with many lifts taking you to the top and giving different run downs. We're not advanced skiers but a couple of days would be enough for us.

The AB area is popular with improvers / early intermediates because it has plenty of long blues.

So From AB you can easily do the following for a day (we've done all of these)

get the bus or drive to Kronplatz
Ski to Marmolada and Arabba for steeper slopes
Ski to the nearest part of Cortina (Tofana - short shared taxi ride needed)
drive to the further part of Cortina (Misurina)
Ski to Val Gardena (and do the fantastic run down to Ortisei)
Ski hidden valley & Cinque Torri
Ski to Canazei
Ski the Sella Ronda and spend a few hours in one of several resorts mentioned above.
drive to Alpi di suis (ca 45 mins to an hour)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for the replies.

Ultimately Ive chosen to stay in La Villa (Alta Badia) as it is our first time in the Dolomites so I would definitely like to try the Sella Ronda circuit.

I definetely will check out those long runs in Kromplatz on one of the days I am there.

Has anyone taken the Corvara Express from Venice Airport. First time booking flights & transfer seperate from the package and couldnt believe they were charging €700 for a private transfer
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Adrii, I know this doesn't answer your question...

but we always rent a car, it's an easy drive, the stereotypical Italian driving experience is only really true for big cities and car rental always used to be cheap, Covid seems to have scuppered that for the moment but who knows for next year. Worst case scenario and there is snow you can take the long route via Trento and Brunico that misses out the high passes.

Also, have you tried your hotel or the local tourist board ? in some resorts hotels club together and arrange shared transfers for guests.

Finally IIRC not many of the Cortina express buses actually go on to Alta Badia but it should be easy to get a taxi from Central Cortina as it's a proper town, again the hotel will be able to help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, We've skied that area a few times and I think you have made the wisest choice to do an away day to Kronplatz. Very straight forward from La Villa.
As for airport transfer - we usually rent a car but have found for December we might opt for a private transfer as the car hire prices are through the roof (we're going for 2 weeks, twin centre La Villa and Selva) ). I also looked into the Cortina Express, it will take you from the airport to Cortina, you then get another bus (or taxi) to La Villa but unfortunately it is only going once a day when we arrive and departing 4 hours after we land. We are heading from Marco Polo to La Villa on Dec 10th, if (by a miracle) you're the same dates then private message me and we could maybe share a transfer?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Adrii, We usually pay about 240Eur for a minibus (7 px) each way from Venice to Arabba. Try Venicecabs.
snow conditions
@johndory. Thanks for the offer but we are going later on the 21st January; hope you have a good time though.

@richb67. I have already bought the coach tickets but I will definetely ask my hotel for next time. Thanks for the advice Smile Cant refund these tickets as their customer service is non-existent. Accidentally paid for extra baggage cause it wasnt specified that 1 hand baggage & 1 hold baggage was included in the ticket until I got the ticket, and they have ignored every form of communication from me including whatsapp, whatsapp call, email, facebook chat etc... Then again it is rather cheap at €78 return and baggage was €5 a piece.
snow report
@Adrii - no worries at all. Can I ask who you have booked the coach with?
@MorningGory - thanks for the tip, I've emailed them. I've been getting quotes form the Dolomites end - never thought to try Venice end!

Bot more tricky for us as we need taking to La Villa then picking up again from Selva.
ski holidays
JohnDory wrote:
@Adrii - no worries at all. Can I ask who you have booked the coach with?
@MorningGory - thanks for the tip, I've emailed them. I've been getting quotes form the Dolomites end - never thought to try Venice end!

Bot more tricky for us as we need taking to La Villa then picking up again from Selva.

try these guys
https://www.verona-airport-transfers.com/contact/

A UK based agency with local taxi contacts, this site is for Verona but I'd imagine they do Venice as well and this is just one of their websites. They advertise one way and TBH it shouldn't make any difference.

We used them to arrange a short city transfer and it was very straightforward, the company who actually drove us were professional and it was a nice car.
snow report
@Adrii, if you are going on 21.01.2023 then be aware that there is an event at Kronplatz that week.
Depending on your views you might want to go for this. Or avoid this.

ski holidays
Good call @JHS, that will take Erte off the table, a nice black. Leaving four others, though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy