Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's going to Hemel Fridge today for Moguls?

Poster: A snowHead
I should have posted this before ... but I thought someone else may have done.
Hemel Snow Centre plan to to have some moguls for us to play on this afternoon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.thesnowcentre.com/newsevents/give-it-a-go-bumps
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems to say that they will have bumps plus coaching on the 25th June and the 27th August.

I like the former but don't need the latter, or the crowds it implies.
Will the bumps be maintained between those two days so if I rock up and a quiet Monday morning they'll be usable...?

If anyone has pictures of the bumps that'd be helpful - I've heard people talk of bumps there before, but the
only ones I've ever seen are so small they're straight-linable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can definitely see your head over them so they aren't as deep as some of the all time faces.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's when you've fallen over, or when you're standing up?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They were quite a bit bigger than I've seen there before on moguls days. @philwig, no they'll flatten them overnight and rebuild next time. The coaching isn't mandatory and there were few enough people this morning that you could get a run without having to negotiate carnage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
. . . pictures of the bumps .. .

Your assessment pretty accurate, but not so busy as all that on the bumps as per @Tubaski. Queueing for the drags more of a nuisance and to be expected on a Saturday?

However the bumps were not so well made, so they only really became a bit friendlier after being bashed about a bit. I believe they will be demolished overnight.

For pics see the Hemel webcam. Not a good angle to judge them from, but they seemed pretty well like what I understand to be ‘competition’ dimensions and spacing. I believe Mr. G. Bell was there. Also some sHs, so there could possibly be some piccies.

Webcam screenshots:

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks both. I guess it's the 27th August or nothing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

you could get a run without having to negotiate carnage.

Where’s the fun in that? rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

In fairness you could also time it right to have some carnage to negotiate if that's your thing, just it was a transient rather than a persistent state today Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tubaski wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

In fairness you could also time it right to have some carnage to negotiate if that's your thing, just it was a transient rather than a persistent state today Wink

The key is to make an assessment of which of the punters are likely to lose it then time your run accordingly.

A proper test of resort-based mogul skiing instead of the boring Olympic fluff. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tubaski, Bigger? Do you know if the guys have come down from Manchester to make them this time?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Junior was there this afternoon. Said the moguls were ok, but looking at the video they weren’t as uniform as they looked in videos from the last Chill Factore session.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anarchicsaltire wrote:
@Tubaski, Bigger? Do you know if the guys have come down from Manchester to make them this time?

I don't think so, but I know there have been groups gone up to Manchester a couple of times when they've had moguls on, so maybe got some ideas.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 on wot @Tubaski said.

philwig wrote:
. . . 27th August or nothing. .

But there’s always Chillfactore Manchester. Difficult to justify a day’s travel from Way Dahn Sarf maybe, unless you’re that desperate for moguls in a fridge.

But CF do do the bumps for 2 or 3 days on the trot, and Hemel’s just the one day. So if one is prepared to do a full day, or two/three + staying overnight, more, but for more of your money and time.

Chillfactore events calendar says Moguls on Fri 07/Sat 08/Sun 09 July.

Purely as a personal opinion, based on my limited experience on the days I was there, I’d say CF did them better, and of course there’s more of them there, as CF’s that much longer and bigger.

For comparison, photo from CF visit last year.
:

latest report
Bah! Missed them, I might have been tempted to make an appearance if I'd known.
snow report
I was coaching there on Sat and the moguls were the best I have seen at Hemel. Their slope team had gone to Chill to learn how they make em up north and the result was some very nice bumps. Fairly big and narrow troughs for early stage mogul skiers. Here is a video clip to get an a better idea

Hemel Bumps June 22.mov from InsideOutSkiing
https://vimeo.com/724204114

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 26-06-22 16:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@skimottaret, I am very impressed. How steep?
ski holidays
@under a new name, blue run gradient and they were big for that but normal for a red or black bump run. fairly narrow trough on the lower ones but a decent round line on the upper ones. Quite nice to learn on as you didn't pick up much speed as shallow

Wasn't particularly busy imv, myself, Graham and one other independent coach had perhaps a dozen clients in and out of the bumps and the Centre had a coach on hand offering tips to casual users. Probably another dozen off duty instructors and race team people.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
. . .How steep?

I think the publicity has had it at 15 degrees for the top bit, i.e. where the moguls were.
My guess is that it’s actually a bit shallower than that in real life, but that may be just me.
Will have a go at measuring it on Monday and see!
Also it does flatten out to a significantly lower pitch where a drag has the ‘beginner’ area to skier’s right going up.
snow report
Looks good, I shall note their next date.
snow report
@skimottaret, got to admit, looks like a fine learning (or showing off wink ) pitch.

@Fat George, my only experience of a fridge was once at Braehead and all I discovered was how truly awful their rental boots were!
snow report
@under a new name, I just replaced the video link with a longer one with a few more skiers including one ex GB team athlete

latest report
Looks good. Bumps way bigger than I've seen them before. Skier no 2 needs to use shorter poles.
ski holidays
Which one's the athlete?
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Looks good. Bumps way bigger than I've seen them before. Skier no 2 needs to use shorter poles.

Your right in that the trend for mogul skiers is to use short poles. For skier 2 perhaps shorter poles would "look" a bit better but the bumps at Hemel aren't representative of mountain conditions as they would never be that tall on such a flat slope. If skier 2 had skied those while holding the poles 6 inches lower not sure his outcome would have been much different.

Only mention as I don't want people to think that you need/should have a caddy of poles to cater for moguls sessions.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, maybe it's the flappy straps and flappy arms making them look longer?
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Wasn't particularly busy imv, myself, Graham and one other independent coach had perhaps a dozen clients in and out of the bumps and the Centre had a coach on hand offering tips to casual users. Probably another dozen off duty instructors and race team people.

Junior did comment that there were some old men there on Saturday afternoon who were quite good. High praise indeed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@doddsie, not sure he meant me Madeye-Smiley Graham Bell was looking decent as well as Will and a couple of the Hemel guys.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Your right in that the trend for mogul skiers is to use short poles. For skier 2 perhaps shorter poles would "look" a bit better but the bumps at Hemel aren't representative of mountain conditions as they would never be that tall on such a flat slope. If skier 2 had skied those while holding the poles 6 inches lower not sure his outcome would have been much different.

Only mention as I don't want people to think that you need/should have a caddy of poles to cater for moguls sessions.

You definitely don't need a quiver of poles if you are doing moguls indoors - you just grab shorter ones from the rack. It just struck me as the easiest variable to adjust between skier 2 and the performance of 4 and 5.

Besides I think one of the equipment things that most improved my skiing was the cheapest and easiest - using adjustable poles and finding my real effective length. Not that I don't still open doors and look like a lamppost at (a lot of) times.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 27-06-22 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Fair enough, if you look at the tall skinny guy in a race helmet he is using telescopic poles
ski holidays
@skimottaret, who was the final skier in that video? I used to goto moguls in Leeds fairly regularly, they were definitely easier than Alpine bumps, perhaps easier/wider troughs??
ski holidays
@kitenski, A bud I used to coach with at MK race team, don't want to name as I didn't ask to film him.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Hemel . . . How steep?

Well, the publicity isn't far out. On closer inspection today, the slope, rather than being two plane areas of different gradient, is somewhat convex with a smoothish transition.

My measurements:
-- Top bit 14-15 degrees.
-- Lower bit Flat-10-12 degrees.

So broadly speaking, taking the approximate slope vs. 'colour' for the steepest section on the run, using as a rough guide the minefield of random resort piste classifications as applied in French resorts, which for marketing reasons may, or may not even there, or indeed, anywhere else, be applied, as :: maximum slope for Green <~11 degrees/20% / maximum slope for Blue <~14 degrees/25%, I pronounce Mount Hemel to be :-

Turquoise, verging on purple.

And rightly so.
ski holidays
@skimottaret, Thanks for the video, Hemel moguls look much better then the Chill Factore attempts, they seem deeper and will offer a greater challenge.
latest report
Fat George wrote:

Well, the publicity isn't far out. On closer inspection today, the slope, rather than being two plane areas of different gradient, is somewhat convex with a smoothish transition.

My measurements:
-- Top bit 14-15 degrees.
-- Lower bit Flat-10-12 degrees.

So broadly speaking, taking the approximate slope vs. 'colour' for the steepest section on the run, using as a rough guide the minefield of random resort piste classifications as applied in French resorts, which for marketing reasons may, or may not even there, or indeed, anywhere else, be applied, as :: maximum slope for Green <~11 degrees/20% / maximum slope for Blue <~14 degrees/25%, I pronounce Mount Hemel to be :-

Turquoise, verging on purple.

And rightly so.

What a fantastic piece of in depth "Technical Snowheadary". snowHead
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Thats nothing for @Fat George, I was on a lift with him once and he calculated the electrical power required to drive the individual ski lift, he then worked out the total power requirement for the resort and estimated the percent of the pass price that was needed to pay for the electricity! Top tech Snowhead.
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
@under a new name, I just replaced the video link with a longer one with a few more skiers including one ex GB team athlete

Meh. Awdbugga could do those backwards.
snow report
@Seahoob: Hey Rick, you’ll be getting me into trouble with the nerds!!

I think that was on a nice long chair in the 3V, and started on the topic of people whingeing about pass prices? So it was a bit more of a ramble on people not knowing what they were paying for, like the cost of driving us up the mountain?

PS. I would have ‘guessed’ rather than ‘calculated’. And I think in fact you one-upped me at the time by your knowledge of the innards of the Remontées Mécaniques website so you’re no mean nerd yourself? Very Happy
snow report
@Fat George,

I'm more of a general-nerd rather than niche-nerd and I am certain the Remontées Mécaniques info came from a nearby website for ski-nerds Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy