Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer TR - First timers to the Mountains

Poster: A snowHead
We are having a fab time too but for various reasons have done very little since we got to our apartment. Dog a bit too old for long walks now and it has been pretty hot. Chilled out and relaxed now though. Enjoyed our slow drive down though with campsites in Epernay and Eguisheim . Dole on our list for next trip as we stopped for lunch there and it was lovely.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells, evan at 2000m today it was too hot. I dread to think what it was like down in the valley. Though quiet today, one child on archery range, one on bouncy castle and one on the bungee trampoline we were met by large number of mountaine bikers this afternoon. We'll plan our itinery better tomorrow and go for a via ferrata - I beleive they cannot go on them.

We may have a stop off on the way back next Thursday so Dole may be a consideration. Mind you such a decision will be hard as I sit at dinner just gazing across the Isere to to Mont Blanc through the window.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can only say, thank god we’ve got a pool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, absolutely, though our apartment is still reasonably cool.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ours was on a hill and though the terrace was at "garden level" the back was underground, with steps up. We found if we left doors open front and back we got a fantastic cool draught through - perishing in winter, when we kept the back doors and windows shut. Down in Albertville was awful - I remember scouring maps for easy walks at 2000m. I'm sailing to Cherbourg on Tuesday, where the temperature is forecast to reach 34. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It has started to get busy over the weekend.

Have been roasted on Friday by the hike around Les Arcs we decided to head highish and do the Roc du Vent via ferrata from the Cormet du Roseland. The drive up was very slow due to the large number of vehicles: camper vans, cars, lots of motorcycles and cyclists most of whom I think were just doing the drive to admire the scenery rather than actually going someplace. A couple of cars were driving so slowly that they caused some queues behind them. I wonder how the convoy of 10 Caterham 7 sportscars felt when overtaken by the cyclists on the descent. I made a mistake in parking at the very summit ( a fairly cool17 degrees) and faced by a 2km walk and then failing to find a parking spot at the true start we decided to go somewhere else.

It was, in fact a good decision. We headed to Pralognan and the delightful Cascade de la Fraiche Ferrata. This is a short climb up beside the waterfall that gives it its name. The spray from the waterfall keeps you fresh yet makes some of the holds damp and slippery. The view and the roar of the waterfall makes this an exciting expedition and the crossing of the top of the falls on a monkey bridge give a great view down the falls suspended directly over them. I recommend it if you are in the area.

I like Pralognan and if I wasn’t based in Les Arcs would like to stay there one summer – and perhaps a week in winter.

Yesterday we were joined by a friend and decided to do the Bettieres ferrata at the Rosuel gate to the Vanoise national park. This area at the top end of the Landry valley has some spectacular scenery looking up at the glaciers on Mont Pourri and is worth a visit (including the lead mining museum) in its own right.

The ferrata itself is over 500m long and rises 200m so is a full day’s expedition. It is in 3 sections: an easy first third and harder second and a harder still 3rd. Actually that is no longer the case since there is now an easy way around the overhang, which my wife took. You can descend after the first or second sections back to the start but if you do the last bit it is now a long journey back to the valley involving a climb to about 1950m 450m above the start point. I found the descent very hard going, much harder than the climb – most likely due to dehydration. The descent follows part of the GR5 long distance footpath going from Den Haag to Nice. I can now claim to have done part of GR5 Smile Leaving my wife to walk back up to the Rosuel car park to collect the car I headed for the bar.

Now the school holidays have started the resort is busy with the kids clubs in full swing, mountain bikers everywhere, the restaurants open and the car parking filling up. In summer the car parks are free.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drove down through U.K. Saturday & through France Sunday. Has to be the smoothest easiest drive we ever done over the years, nearly zero road work & traffic all flowing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996, There is a lot of road works here around Bourg st Maurice, much of it building new reatiing walls to hold back ladslides, but the centre of Bourg st Maurice itself is a series of traffic lights and single lane working. When we came down last week there was a fair bit of road works on the motorway but I suspect they have been finished for the summer holiday rush to the coast.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We’re half way through our second week in Chamonix with our “2 under 2”.
We love Chamonix in summer - depending on what is on, the town is taken over by different groups (wall climbing championships just finished, trail runners will arrive en masse sometime soon).
Definitely so many more regular tourists this year.

One downside is the lack of activities for toddlers and younger children. They don’t have a good park in the town, the outdoor pool hasn’t been open for a few years now and there are very limited hikes you can do with a double buggy. We took them on a shortish hike in a backpack and front carrier yesterday but it was hard work in the heat, especially with the 5 month old.

But we’re having a lovely time (most of the time) and I will definitely be looking at doing something similar next year, but maybe trying somewhere new and more infant-friendly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've been home a month now, and I was reflecting on our holiday last night.

I really enjoyed our trip to the mountains, I also really enjoy beach type holidays, so I think we will go to an alternate beach holiday one year, alps holiday the next. Feels like we need a proper relaxing holiday every now and then which the alps doesn't quite give us as we have the dog and do loads of walking.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After suffering heat exhaustion on the Sunday the next few days were taken rather quietly with walking. On Monday it was just having a walk around Arc1600 and doing some work on the apartment. We made a visit up to the Ridge apartment block to see Mssrs Fernand’s new shop and bar. It looked good, but is a long way out of the main part of the village. We also had a pleasant lunch at the “smoking boar”

I’ve never been across to La Plagne in the summer before so we went over on Tuesday. We caught the telecabine up to the Roche de Mio. The lift to the glacier was close Eh oh! as they are constructing a replacement lift, opening in December 2023. I’m not sure what is happening at the top but there was a small tower crane at the northern end of the traverse chair lift. We walked down the tunnel run back to Belle Plagne. It was a bit dusty at the top due to the lorries on haul road down to Champagny, but otherwise a very scenic and quiet walk down. On the way back we called into the Super U to stock the apartment up with beer, wine and other heavy goods for the winter. Oddly half a dozen wine bottles (Apremont etc) failed to leave the boot of the car.

We spent Wednesday working on the apartment then headed over to a friends house to do an evening via ferrata in the Chartreuse starting up the magnificent gorge from Saint Vincent de Mercuze. Sadly we started at 18:00 and by the time we got to the base of the via it was too late to start and get down for a dinner booked in La Touvet at 21:00. As in previous days it was very, very hot and I’m not good in the heat. Obvious really why I’m on a ski forum Eh oh! At one point I used some of our precious water to wash the sweat from my eyes. As it was the eve of Bastille day the large restaurant was packed. If you see it on the menu anywhere the tartar de thon is excellent. I don’t know why I have missed this excellent summer dish in the past. It’s much nicer than beef.

On Bastille day the drive to Calais was completely uneventful except that we just missed the earlier ferry and were the first one on our prebooked crossing. We had a 2 hour wait for our crossing. Though there is a lounge time building at the port it was mainly closed (Bastille day or is it usually closed?) so apart from visiting the toilet there it was just sitting in the car reading.

Even the 200 mile drive from Dover was quiet and stress free. We got home at 1:30 after a lovely holiday: 2 days sport climbing, 3 days via ferrata, the rest just walking. What we thought of doing but didn't: a night in the refuge Ruitor and climbing up in that region, hiring electric mountain bikes, and buyin some new matresses for the apartment
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
After suffering heat exhaustion on the Sunday

Started cycling into work this morning and the police municipale were at the neighbours.

"Problem?" I asked, thinking there had been another burglary

"Old dear croaked during the night, heat exhaustion"

and with that 4 men in black suits walked out carrying said old dear in a box.

I should have realized there was an issue as a very smart black van with blacked out windows was parked by the police car.

It was 39C yesterday and 33C at midnight. After two nights of that even the hardiest of souls would have suffered. Even I found it hot but madame was still wrapped up warm in her duvet complaining of cold feet.

Still mustn't grumble at the sun, better than last year when it was cool and rainy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rois1980, have you tried Paradis des Praz? That used to keep mine happy for hours.

Petit Balcon Sud from Les Praz to Argentiere has some great patches of wild alpine strawberries.

The pool being out of action is a huge shame- it used to be amazing. Lac de Passy is a great all-day alternative, or the hotel Aiguille du Midi lets you use its outdoor pool if you have lunch there - and there's an all-you-can-eat dessert buffet!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, thanks, yeah did all those things actually.
Our apartment has a swimming pool thankfully (indoor but we chose it based on having it as it would pass an hr or so in bad weather). We did Petit Balcon Sud from Argentiere down to Paradis Le Praz with baby in a front facing carrier and 22 month old in a back carrier. Went surprisingly well - stopped for a nice picnic and stretch at the climbing wall area. We also caught the festival of bringing the sheep from low lying areas to the hills up in Argentiere yesterday - our bigger little one loved it. The €2 glasses of wine were nice too Eh oh! And there was another park out there too with a slide and a couple of other random kiddie things. So I guess there’s more to enjoy if you seek it out.

Strangely (or not) we have had more relaxing days when not trying to squeeze into a restaurant for dinner with a double buggy!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
StG is getting really busy, you really need to book if you want to eat out now.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Great report @swskier,

I've asked the missus a few times and she's never been that keen. She thinks Summer holidays means beach or lake.

You could go to an alpine lake, where she could laze about and you could go hiking or biking Very Happy .

Each to their own - but we've not done a traditional beach holiday since 1984, when we discovered skiing and mountains. Very Happy

I hope the Mrs will try an alpine summer trip for you in the future. We are in France at the moment, having a great time in Val Thorens, hiking and mountain biking. It has been a beautiful 27C up here - but over 40C down in Moutiers Shocked .
snow conditions
Quote:
You could go to an alpine lake, where she could laze about and you could go hiking or biking
Indeed. We're just back from 11 days in Tignes.

Our first trip to the French Alps by car. As others have said, it was a pleasure to drive on empty French motorways. We camped on the outbound and return trips and visited some lovely places - such as Troyes, Beaune and the Burgundy region.

The weather was fantastic throughout our 15 day trip and we had a brilliant time hiking and mountain biking, plus activities like canoeing on the lake at Tignes, crazy golf...and eating crepes Laughing We also drove over the Col de L'Iseran and back and visited lovely Bonneval Sur Arc.

Another vote for summer in the Alps Very Happy

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy