Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blaaaah! Bunch of skis, need opinions plx

Poster: A snowHead
Okkkk! I'm a preety good skiier so I'm looking for a decent ski that can cope with speed and can carve a fair bit. I'm looking for a cheap pair however, and I'v found a few on eBay that look reasonable.

If you can tell me which are the better skis and which ones I should avoid, that'd be awesome, just give a mark out of 10 or something! <33

Elan A02 2005
Elan A02 2006
Elan A04 2005
Elan Integra 6.0 2004

Fischer RX8

^^ Cheers guys <33

[EDIT]

Now looking at the Fischer RC4 Race, these skis any good?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 3-06-06 11:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never come across any of them, sorry,

I've tried the SFX fusion and I think Elan can make good skis...but I can't help on the ones listed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never heard of the elan models.

The RX8 is a great piste ski I think. You can't go far wrong there if they are cheap.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The RX8 is a great piste ski that rewards effort or lardyness,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very low end carvers:
Elan A02 2005 about 2
Elan A02 2006 about 2
Elan A04 2005 about 3
Elan Integra 6.0 2004 about 3 (though I don't believe the stated date)

Compared to:
Fischer RX8 about 9 except you want it shorter than you think you do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oof. Forget all that then, I'll snap up a pair of RX8s.

Thanks guys! They any good for racing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They're decent for short (amateur) 16-18m open sets like NASTAR in the US, otherwise different horses needed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sweet. I'm 6ft3" and my Public Enemies are 174's, I'm 16 soI doubt I'm done growing yet.

Should I get the RX8's in 170's or 165? wink

And again, a big thanks to everyone as you have just saved me from buying a pair of naff skis!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm. After a little more browsing [as ya do] I've come across the Fischer RC4 Race.

It's now between the RX8 and the RC4! Cool

Which ones the best?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For racing, the RC4.

But there are several versions of the RC4.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jono, what type of racing are you doing/intending? Have you actually done any race stuff yet, or just thinking about it? And is it plastic or snow, and if snow then SL or GS?

If SL on snow then the RC4 is a good choice, in 165, no longer, no shorter. If plastic, then you probably want 160cm, although I have friends who use 155. Height here isn't really an issue, it's getting around the courses, which are much tighter than on snow. I and several others have the RC4. As veeeight says, there are several versions: I have the Race SC, which is more flexible than the WC, and arguably therefore better for use on plastic. The "Race C" is probably too soft. If you're looking at snow, or already a demon racer (but in whch case you probably know everything I'm telling you better than I do) then you should probably go for the WC.

As far as I have seen so far (admittedly not far), there are quite a few RC4s around on the circuit. Other popular skis are Elan SLX (although I tried them on snow once and they didn't suit me at all), Dynamic VR27 (very good ski, but punishes mistakes big time, and I think needs quite a lot of skiing to work well on plastic), Dynastar 64, Atomic SL11 and Head iSL (none of which I've tried, although I know someone intending to move from the Head to the Elans) and Salomon 3V (although that one possibly more among lighter skiers and ladies). I got my RC4s off eBay last year from Lott-Sport in Germany, others have used ski-bilek who also sell a lot on eBay. As an indication of the kind of deals around last year, mine cost €243 with basic bindings, with an additional €65 for upgraded bindings (to FX12), mounting and delivery. The WCs were probably about €100 more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your response Graham.

The only indoor skiing I do is at XScape (twice a week with the Lions) so it's not really plastic, and then when I'm abroard on a real slope you can find me doing the slalom or ripping up the piste with my friends. I have my K2 Public Enemies for any off piste / powdery stuff / park, so I am looking specifficly for a racing ski. Although I've not done a lot of races, I am starting to take it seriously and getting into it, but like I said, my K2's just don't give me that edge in a racing scenario!

I looked at the Elan SLX, but the price is a bit too much for me at the moment as I can't find anything on eBay. I'm quite a fast skiier, and on a skill basis I'm probably intermediate+

The skis I've got in my watchlist are:

Fischer RC4 Race RC ::: Available in 175 / 165 / 160
Fischer RC4 Race SC ::: 175
Fischer RX8 ::: 155 / 165 / 170
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jono, I'd not go for that RC (as opposed to SC) - it's a lower performance ski. If you primarily want to do slalom you must get a 165cm (longer is too long, shorter is not race legal on snow). I'm a bit surprised that ebay.co.uk doesn't seem to be picking up the German site on International Sellers at the moment, but look on www.ebay.de and they have a reasonable selection, but not quite as cheap as last year, maybe more will come up later (I was looking during Sept/Oct). They do have a 165 RC4 SC with FX12 Railflex on buy-it-now at €329. I've not looked for any of the other makes. BTW I think gregh has a RC4 SC and goes to Lions - you should talk to him.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 3-06-06 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8817700876&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX
Racs sc currently on here at E299
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sweet, chears Kevin and thanks again Graham.

I'll go check my bank balance tomorrow and see if I can scrape a few pennies together! ...i hate this sport sometimes! snowHead
snow conditions
Theres a pair of 165 RC's at £8 with 2days left, I may be able to snatch up a bargain with that one... whats the difference between the RC and the SC?
snow conditions
2005/06 Lineup:

RC4 WC GS 103/66/88 FIS Legal GS Ski
RC4 WC SL 115/64/100 FIS Legal SL Ski

RC4 WC RC 112/66/97, 16m@175, detuned GS Ski (still will bite, stiff)
RC4 WC SC 118/66/99, 12m@165, detuned SL Ski (still will bite, stiff)
RC4 Race RC 109/69/96, 17m@170, recreational version of RC4 WC RC
RC4 Race SC 116/65/98, 13m@165, recreational version of RC4 WC SC
RC4 Race C 110/66/96, 15m@165, capped laminate version

Very Happy

I skied next years 2006/7 RC4 WC SC - what an amazing ski. Best edge hold ever on ice, super stiff, ultra responsive. You had better stay on top of this ski!
snow report
Jono,

As Graham says....

I got the Race SC purely for fun at the Lions Monday night, I'm no expert but they seem fine for me! Can't make it tonight, but hopefully next week!

I also got 160cm, as I ain't ever going to enter competitions etc!

Regards,

Greg
snow conditions
I have some RX8s and have done 2 race runs on them. I put my slow times down to the skis. I really should have hired some freshly waxed race skis and then I think i would have won. Rx8s are a also a very tyring ski as am usually bushed by about 2.30. They are also a very heavy ski to carry; OK in the morning but very heavy late afternoon. The gaudi colour scheme also makes me feel sick and gives me a headache most mornings. They have also made me unatractive to young ladies.

Not recommended. wink

Apart from the above they are a lovely on piste ski for a lardarse or for someone prepared to put in a bit of effort.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 5-06-06 11:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
At least the rx8 has improved its topsheet this year. You may be able to get a Volkl supersport 5* for a decent price at this time of year.
snow report
Hmmm. My budget can't stretch to get the 165 SC's, I'm already £200 in debt =(

So yeah, I can just about afford the 165 RC's, or the 175 SC's. << which one do I go for! ;s
ski holidays
Do you want a GS ski or a Slalom ski?

You've got those choices ar$e-about-face.

a 165 RC would be an GS ski that's too short whilst a 175 SC would be a slalom ski that's too long.

Shocked

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 5-06-06 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Jono, Have you thought about buying a pair now for doing XScape gates, then wait till nearer the season to get something more suitable for resort skiing?
I thought my little slalom skis would be great for resort skiing, but instead found myself wishing I owned a pair of GS skis, so ended up skiing my powder skis all the time instead as a compromise :/
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, utter plums. I beat you on unwaxed Rx8's that were 10cm shorter Wink
snow report
Quote:

Apart from the above they are a lovely on piste ski for a lardarse

Quote:

I beat you on unwaxed Rx8's that were 10cm shorter

I rest my case your honour wink
snow conditions
Jono, Neither of the skis you describe are suitable for doing race training at Castleford.

Look for something that is a softer flexing slalom ski, marc gledhill seems very happy with his Dynamic VR27s which are available for a relatively low price.
snow conditions
rjs, what makes you say the Fischer RC4 ain't suitable? I've been *very* happy with mine at Castleford!
latest report
What does GS stand for?

I'll be doing gates at CAS, yes, but I'll be using them abroard for piste skiing aswell.

I've not bid on those skis, partly 'coz I was with the missus and forgot but also 'coz I was confused!

So yeah, I'll be skiing at CAS doing the gates but they'll also get used on the pistes abroard, not primarily for racing with.

Feel free to reccomend me something, just so long as it's a fast! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh, I didn't write that all Fischer RC4s were unsuitable, veeeight had already written why 165 RCs and 175 SCs were bad choices.

I didn't suggest shorter SCs as I think that they have too small a sidecut radius, the WC SL is too stiff for someone just starting out.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, heh heh heh, touche! Wink
ski holidays
I have both the rc4 wc sc and rc4 race sc. Both in 160cm, used them for the first time at the end of last season. They are very diiferent animals. I also tried rx8's in 165cm, the rc4 race sc have a very similar feel to the rx8's. Very lively, quick edge to edge, reasonably forgiving. Both a cap construction skis. Brilliant fun ski, the race sc a bit more precise on icy pistes.

The rc4 wc sc is a sandwich ski, and much more demanding. It was really good in early morning icy stuff the edge grip was stunning, but my legs did not last very long on them, and any mistakes especially getting in the back seat was not pleasant. As a blast about for a couple of hours they were fantastic, but im not good enough (or fit enough) for any more than that. As a choice between them all (and a bias to gates) i would go Race sc.

Hope that helps.
latest report
rjs wrote:
marc gledhill seems very happy with his Dynamic VR27s which are available for a relatively low price.

I am snowHead . Jono, If you can find them cheap then get some. They're good for the snowdome and the piste. I've even enjoyed them in the deeper stuff.
snow report
Jono,

GS stands for Grand Slalom.

The primary difference between a Slalom ski and a GS ski is the radius of the sidecut, and the length of the ski.

From what I can gather:

You already own a pair of skis for pissing about (K2 Public Enemy).

You want a pair of skis for doing race training at Castleford, and also to ski on the mountain.

If you're really keen and dedicated about racing, then you should have a pair of dedicated race skis. I'm assuming that the racing at Castleford is predominantly slalom, as opposed to GS. So you should be looking at a pair of Fisher RC4 WC SC or RC4 Race SC, in 160 length.

BUT

If you opt for the RC4 WC SC - this is a demanding ski, so skiing it on the mountains will be tiring, as you have to be on top of the ski all the time, this is not a relaxing ski. But it is the better of the two skis in terms of edge grip on ice.

HOWEVER

If you're not 100% commited to race training, and instead want a pair of skis that you can use to race train - AND - to ski on the mountain on holiday, but are prepared to sacrifice some of the finer points of a slalom ski - then I would recommend a Skier-Cross type of ski.

Something like a Head iXRC1400.
snow report
I suspect the RX8 would also do the job. Its a great ski and certainly a great ski for ripping about on piste (for for hold on ice). I can't comment on it as a race ski.
latest report
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Back on the whole eBay thing, there's a pair at £90 atm, ends late-night tomorrow.
They're availble in either 160 or 170.

If I win it, it won't be for less than about £150 I would have thought.

Would it be worth leaving the 160/170 option and paying the extra £30-100 (whatever it will be) to get it 'em in 165?

Help^

+ if it is alot cheaper to go for the 160/170 option over the 165 option, should I go for a larger or smaller ski!

Puzzled
ski holidays
Which ski are you talking about?
snow conditions
Jono, Depends which way you want to play with these skis. Do you want a shorter ski that you may find a bit twitchy/unstable at high speeds but very easy to turn, or would you prefer the more stable longer ski that you may have to work a little harder. Shorter ski great for snowdome, and longer ski better for resort IMO.
Myself prefer the longer ski and just put in the effort. Depends what you want to do.
snow conditions
Well, having skiied on 174 PE's, the 170's will be a shorter ski I guess. Also, doing a slalom with them things on requires a hella lot of effort so yeah, I'll be used to the "effort" side of things! Very Happy

Cheers, one again, you're all e-heroes.
ski holidays
Quote:

What does GS stand for?

Quote:

I am starting to take it seriously and getting into it, but like I said, my K2's just don't give me that edge in a racing scenario!

golly - good luck (GS is actually Giant Slalom if we are being pedantic). Why not try and get a pair of ex-rental race skis, you'll get the best make of ski, and although used they are rarely trashed, for a decent price.
snow conditions
Powderhound wrote:
Why not try and get a pair of ex-rental race skis, you'll get the best make of ski, and although used they are rarely trashed, for a decent price.

You can't generally rent race skis, particularly not in Yorkshire.

A better bet would be to ask whether anyone at Lions Ski Club is selling something suitable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy