Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax for dry slope

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I’ve taken the plunge and bought myself a pair of skis for the dry slope. I now need to learn how to wax them. There’s some really useful videos out there aimed at prep for snow, but not much for the dry slope.

I’m trying to decide what wax would be best. Most people seem to use Datawax Polar X. Has anybody tried 4Mattwax? They seem to reckon it’s the bendy leg joint of a flying insect, but I can’t find anything beyond their own website. Obviously they use it in their YouTube video.

Thoughts on a postcard. What wax do I go for for the dry slope?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Along with most people we use Datawax Polar X. Rub on base, then iron at quite a high temperature. Don't bother scraping, just polish with a green pad so it runs okay for the first couple of runs, the dendix will soon remove the excess.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cmoore, TBH I'm not sure there is too much difference. I've used CH-4 and Polar-X, I prefer Polar-X because it's a bit easier to apply. They both last about as long, and very (of not impossible) to detect any difference in ski performance. Most of the reason for wax on the dryslope is to prevent the base melting and wearing away. You can feel the difference between a waxed and an unwaxed ski, but between different waxes, I am not so sure. We won't talk about all the gloop that get's applied for the racers to get a good start.

You will need to keep those edges sharp however! -- So if you don't have a good quality file -- time to get one!

Also... look here ..... https://skiracing.co.uk/videos/ Very Happy video 6 is the one you want.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You can feel the difference between a waxed and an unwaxed ski, but between different waxes, I am not so sure.

Put a soft snow wax on and you will barely move until you've scraped it all off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr sheen
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mother hucker, I've seen people use a bar towel with fairy liquid on it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GlasgowCyclops, yes used that as well, put it in a tray with sponges in and slide over it. I've used all sorts. Base burn in the summer was a killer you could smell it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE,
Quote:

Put a soft snow wax on and you will barely move until you've scraped it all off.

Fair point, but the OP was asking about dryslope (not warm snow) wax.

Quote:

Mr sheen

Sheen is OK, but does dry the base out.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy