Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another help-me-choose question.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

Can anyone recommend a ‘secret’ resort , where I can learn to board in peace. Here’s my list of demands:

Be attractive
Be amongst spectacular scenery
Have a small ski area (40 kms would be fine)
Have a number of easy runs up at altitude (I’m going the week before Christmas)
Have comprehensive snowmaking
Have some easy runs in the trees too.
Be good value!
Have easy to book self catering accommodation
Be easily accessible by public transport, I don’t mind a long transfer, just so long as it’s simple to arrange independently.

I have a preference for Italy, and Macugnaga would fit the bill nicely, except that self catering apartments could be easier to book, and the tourist office has been ignoring my emails. A lot of Sud Tirol places seem to present themselves, except that they fall down on the public transport front.

Any ideas?

Thanks! Liam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Liam,

Have you considered Saas Fee? I reckon it fits most of your requirements. Beautiful Swiss village set in stunning scenery; ideal for beginners and intermediates; glacier skiing area means guaranteed snow at altitude; reliable Swiss public transport makes it easy to get to from Geneva or Zurich.

On the downside, being in Switzerland means it's not particularly cheap, but apart from that it sounds like it's almost exactly what you're you're looking for.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Purely from my own personal experience (as opposed to what it says in various ski-guides) there is a place in Switz called Anzere, near Sion. It is reasonably high (tops about 2500m) and has a decent snow record. Nursery slopes at both resort level and top. Snowmaking on home runs but maybe only reds and blacks back to base (check that, some years since I've been). There is a modern gondola you can get back down tho. Ski area is about three-quarters red, but there are several blues as well. About 40km in total, above & below tree line.

We went self-cat but a mate booked it. You could try the usual websites for that kind of thing. I learnt to ski there, local branch of the swiss ski school were fine, had some english-speakers. We flew to Geneva, got the train to Sion, then cheated and got a lift! There is probably a bus up to Anzere I should imagine, it is not far at all.

Not the place for riotous apres but you don't seem to want that. Good scenery too.

Quote:

the tourist office has been ignoring my emails

Well, that's Italy for you! I have tried DIY to Italy before and had exactly the same problem.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-06-06 17:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funnily enough Saas Fee is the one big resort that I'm considering (and it's not even in italy!). I'll take that as a sign and consider it closer. I might be a bit more interested in Saas Grand and the other Saas whatever it's called. Have you anyone got any experience of those two?

And thanks perv for the Anzere suggestion - looks like the kind of place I have in mind, and you're right about the apres.

L
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lrx28, I'd give Peisey, Vallandry, Nancroix a thought. It's around the west corner from Les Arcs opposite La Plagne and with a huge available area if you want it, but the area above Vallandry ticks all your boxes and if you Give Flying Squirrel a PM he runs a bar there and can organise apartments for your party (also does stunning burgers and a Snowhead beer discount)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lrx28, I went to a place called Melchsee-Frutt in Switzerland. It's a tiny hamlet set in a bowl at 1900m in the next valley from Engelberg with about 50km of runs. The only way in is by gondola. It's a proper hidden gem; frequented only by the Swiss (and me and my ex-pat mate Cool ). There's a photo of the bowl in my bit on the snowMedia zone. It's only 1.5 hrs from Zurich but you'd better speak good German...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamrousse
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, I must call in at Chamrousse sometime on my way past.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard,
I've been eyeing up Chamrousse, does it come highly recommended? Very handy for Grenoble and I fancy trying somewhere different.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andorra, not Soldeu(busy) but el tarter next door. Nice board park, a few lifts, about 90 km of pistes if you venture further. Minibuses to lifts ( 700m)Private nusery slope to learn on in Val Incles (500m)
Cheap for most things(tax free) but not as cheap as the brochures make out.
try Stansted to Perpignon or Nice - 2 hours
Great boarding schools (award winning)
Goverment have poured millions into the area and it can make italy look Old fashioned and worn out, although ive boarded in Passo Tonale and that was good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lrx28, Think about the resorts that make up "Les Quatres Vallees" in Valais, Switzerland. Verbier of course is the principle resort, but there are a number of satellite resorts which all link up together. Our favourite is Nendaz which fits all your criteria check out the tourist office on www.nendaz.ch the slopes on www.telenendaz.ch and loads of self catering options on www.interhome.co.uk.
Happy hunting!! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
December? Better go high then, snow can be patchy in December. The higher you go, the less trees. If they are not major issue and you want guaranteed snow, litterally on the doorstep, try Val Thorens
IMHO:
Be attractive - Not 'pretty' but good enough!
Be amongst spectacular scenery - WOW
Have a small ski area (40 kms would be fine) - Itself is relatively small but bigger than some, BUT does give access to the 3 Valleys, huge!
Have a number of easy runs up at altitude (I’m going the week before Christmas) - Definately snow on the ground. resort level is 2300m.
Have comprehensive snowmaking - rarely needed, also glacier with guaranteed snow cover
Have some easy runs in the trees too. Few trees at resort level, but you can ski down lower where there are.
Be good value! - Yes for guaranteed snow
Have easy to book self catering accommodation - lots of appartments
Be easily accessible by public transport, I don’t mind a long transfer, just so long as it’s simple to arrange independently. - EuroStar \ snow train to close, Moutiers.

Good luck!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're going the week before Christmas you will have no problem finding accommodation at the last minute. Why not wait until you know where the best snow is and then decide where to go? Last season the early season snow in France was not as good as some Austrian (and Swiss?) resorts: leaving it until last minute to book will give you the chance to head to the best snow.

If you do want to book ahead, I'd say that finding a resort which has high altitude skiing is a wise choice. As Masque suggested, the Les Arcs resort offers something for most of your criteria. It's very easy to get to on public transport (direct train service from London), has a good range of high altitude and tree-lined skiing, with good artificial snow-making coverage, wide choice of self-catering and chalet accommodation, a good Brit-run ski school in Vallandry, etc. The only thing it doesn't have is a small ski domain!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saas Grund is a good alternative to Saas Fee. The ski area at Saas Grund is quite small....but adequate for a beginner, and is over 3000m at the top. There is also a regulular bus upto Saas Fee should you want to/need to use the glacier.

Saas Almagel is the other village in the area, and would be my last choice of the three.....but then the day I skied there was really bad conditions, so that may have tainted my view.

I haven't self-catered at Saas Grund, but have stayed in several hotels there.....if you want any info then just ask!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lrx28,

Livigno in Italy

130km piste
Snowboard friendly
Good Value
Excellent snow record (1800m-2800m)

Downside is 4-5 hr transfer (but worth it)
snow report
Macunaga fits the bill perfectly.We stayed there a few years ago at the Cima Jazzi (sp?) apts which were to a vg standard.

The other option worth considering, if budget is not a consideration is Obergurgl, this has approx 110km of piste but is attractive & an excellent resort for beginners.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 3-06-06 19:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Steinach in Austria. Just off the motorway to Italy, shouldn't be any transfer problems. Don't think there's self catering, but there are several nice little pensions (one run by WC skier Heini Messner). Beautiful little place - not very high, but good snow record + lots of cannons and lots of trees + lots of atmosphere and no TOs!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Monte Rosa area in Italy?
Also try Flims-Laax in Switzerland. It's not especially secret but has a glacier, and when we were there the piste map marked all traverses as such so boarders could ignore them. Loads and loads of self-catering bookable through the tourist office.
snow report
Not sure how snow sure they will be early season but may be worth looking at Puy St Vincent or Alpe des Grand Serre - both have very reasonably sized ski areas but will definately not be busy!
latest report
lrx28, Have you got this book? It gives loads of v accurate info and has tables at the front listing resorts that match various requirments. Might be worth a look - and you can get the cost of it back if you book through Ski Solutions / ifyouski.com. I have bought 2005 and 2006 and not paid for either of them!
ski holidays
Even though Peter Hardy does a great job advertising this place I thought I'd add my 2pennith! Vaujany - very pretty village which has linked runs to alpe d'huez which is far less pretty! The pistes are really pretty - lots of trees, village quiet and very typically Alpine. Just over an hour from Grenoble. I' sure the tourist office can help you on the accommodation front. Worth a look at this place!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy