Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown-Southern Lakes NZ 2022

Poster: A snowHead
All smiles in this part of New Zealand with the winter season just starting. The smiles are due to a multi day winter storm that has left between one and two meters of snow on the local ski areas. Multiple roads closed and snow nearly down to sea level on the south coast. Only down side is that there was considerable wind along with the snow so the avalanche level is at 4 for most of the region. Cardrona will be probably be open tomorrow weather permitting, Coronet Peak opening on Thursday 16th, The Remarkables opening on Saturday 18th and Treble Cone due to open a week later on Saturday 25th. There could be a few more cm's today and over night and then a few days of clear weather. Lets hope that in these times of global warming we can still have a good season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will be pleased to say hello to Queenstown on 3rd Sept snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ll be there on August 1. Can’t wait snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Australian Alps have had some massive snowfalls too

Have fun folks...I'll be remembering a few cracking days at Cardy and TC...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m going to catch some spring turns just before Ruapehu shuts in October.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve managed a couple days touring in Mackenzie already, but with the huge storm last week the avi risk is way too high for that now.

Heading to hanmer for a couple of days this week to get brutalised by a rope tow.

Hutt is opening the lower mountain on Friday, looks like most of the new snow got blown off the top.

Pick of the bunch locally looks to be ohau. Huge amounts of snow should set them up for the season. For any Queenstown visitors it’s well worth a trip there if there’s new snow. Great off piste, not usually too busy and epic views. Even has a chairlift.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hang11, make sure you keep us all updated on your part of the country Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sarge McSarge, spent a bit of time down your way last month. My little truck got killed at Christmas, so bought a new one and went a bit nuts on the upgrades. Took the new one on an adventure through southern lakes and Southland. Managed to sink it in a river. Still trying to get the carpets dry Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good to hear you are having fun. I just got myself a used but very tidy SWB Pajero (Shogun) which I will try to keep dry Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There has been a little snow down this way over the last week. 10 -15cms on the mountains. Surface conditions on piste have been generally good and off piste variable with thin patches on a lot of the ridges. A storm is coming through over the next few days and 25 plus cms forecast. Heaver falls as you move north so Treble Cone and the South Canterbury ski areas may get considerably more. School holidays starting at the end of the week so it will be getting busy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roll on Sep 3rd …
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just interviewed NZski.com CEO Paul Anderson in Episode 96 of The Ski Podcast - will probably be of interest!
https://open.spotify.com/show/4eE7knukG2zdmdlsiCIqxK

http://youtube.com/v/fnecgMHA19U
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A local kiwi mate sent this yesterday saying the conditions are great in Wanaka at the moment, while we melt in Europe. He had to hit the slopes having depressed himself watching rugby......don't know what he expected from the world no. 4
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a great day for skiing down here today with cloud, rain and snow on the mountains. Reported snow falls from 10cm to 50cm from the different ski areas. 30cm to 40cm at The Remarkables sounds like the best result. 50cm at treble cone followed by rain soaking the snow pack. So wet that they cannot run the groomers. But the forecast is for colder temperatures and another 20cms so it should be great fun when the weather clears. As you can see from the photo @polo, has posted there is already good coverage so everyone is looking forward to out there. Rather crowded due to school holidays and problems with staff shortages due to covid sickness.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sarge McSarge, I see the Freeze Level is forecast to be between 0 and 1000m this week before rising, but pretty dry near Queenstown.....what would you say is the natural season long snowline for most resorts?
i guess it varies quite a bit, in France it's 1000-1200m in the northern alps, but probably 1200-1400m further south.
latest report
@polo, Snowline usually about 1100m on the southerly aspects.
snow conditions
Snowing heavily at Cardrona at 4.30pm, raining heavily in Queenstown at 6.30pm
snow conditions
No snow condition updates since 19th July -but looks like it's been a decent season down there??
snow report
Sarge has probably been waiting for a bus or a fergburger since 19th July
snow report
Some nice fresh snow over the last few nights ... really freshened things up.

Can even see some of it today Very Happy
ski holidays
Hutt was great this morning. 20-30cm of the cold blower type of goodness and no grooming.

Did a quick 3 hour pre work trip to pack the snow down for the weekend crowds.

Civic duty is important Eh oh!

Legs are killing me and got a 12 hour shift at work now
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy