Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Antagnod or Champoluc for ski school

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, fellow ski types. I have a question for those of you who know the area well. Would you go to Antagnod or Champoluc for ski lessons for 1 adult learner? The rest of us can ski and so would then meet them after their lesson and ski for the rest of the day, but don't want the learner to have to navigate scary slopes. Does anyone know if one ski school or another is particular good value for money etc? We will have a car and so can drive to the base stations at either place easily enough. It would be helpful to know about facilities at each of the base stations - is there somewhere to rent and then store equipment at both? Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom . . .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a (very) beginner ski area at Crest, at the top of the gondola from Champoluc. Mainly for kids, I think, but there's also a very easy red run down from the next lift up. Depends a lot on whether you're talking about a complete beginner or not. An excellent ski shop with storage by the gondola base station there as well.

So that option is easier for the group. However, Antagnod would be better if meeting up with the rest of the happy throng is not a priority. In any case, make sure any beginners avoid the run back down to Champoluc from Crest... Shocked

It's a great ski area. Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks so much for taking the time to post a reply - that's much appreciated!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skiingthebrightsideoflife, Welcome to SHs. Antagnod is a very small, kids oriented, area. iirc there are 2 runs?

Can be useful on an unstable storm day for powder Twisted Evil but otherwise not so much.

So, defo Champoluc. I am presuming absolute beginner? Were you thinking private lessons? Last question only because if a 1st thing AM private, and your friend is making strong progress, you might be able to persuade the prof to start from Frachey, which gets you all into the "main" system but avoids the first steep pitch from the top of Champoluc. Which a first week skier will not like, probably.

If they do make good progress, most of the steeper skiing is very benign reddish and all of it is immaculately groomed every night. So just thinking about it, and if you aren't thinking nice long lunches, you probably could meet them and drive to Frachey (about 5 mins) and ski the afternoons from there. Anyway, you can make those calls once you see what I mean snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skiingthebrightsideoflife, I second the suggestions from @under a new name,

Champoluc is a fine place to learn to ski. The only problem is the run from there into the main system, it starts with a short sharp gully which would be unsettling (and dangerous) for a beginner. This can be avoided by either arranging to meet a private instructor at the Frachey lift, or you adult beginner driving (or taking the bus) to Frachey after lessons in Champoluc. The rest of the slopes are (mostly) ideal for improvers. As the week progresses, your learner will have no problem skiing back to Champoluc and downloading on the gondola from there so the bus to Frachey might be the best option.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@zikomo, that's a good point. Champoluc=> Frachey on skis involves one tricky pitch. The other direction is on completely different slopes and is totally fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy