Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if the direct train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice is running 2022/23 season
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes but I think it's only available as a package from Travelski Express
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arsenal wrote:
Does anyone know if the direct train from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice is running 2022/23 season

I don't think there's been any definitive news one way or the other. If it isn't, changing trains in Paris is an option and really straightforward.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just got an email about it: looks like it's the Travelski package again. I don't know whether nearer the time they may sell some seats as ticket only?
https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/blog/travelski-express-2022-23-goes-sale
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ShakiraShakira wrote:
I just got an email about it: looks like it's the Travelski package again. I don't know whether nearer the time they may sell some seats as ticket only?
https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/blog/travelski-express-2022-23-goes-sale
That's very frustrating. Can't see why Eurostar wouldn't want to operate a normal scheduled service now that we are over the worst of Covid travel restrictions. Whenever I used the ski train, even in the quietest weeks of January, the train had an extremely high occupancy rate with very few unsold seats.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

That's very frustrating

Agreed. Really I'd have thought with a bit of marketing Eurostar could sell out two or three direct trains on many weeks of the season.

I'll be using the train for a couple of trips next year. I don't mind changing in Paris, but will be doing overnight stays outbound both times. By the time you factor that in, I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for an overnight couchette service direct from St Pancras. Maybe one day...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh my, just looked at some of the package prices on TravelSki - they are phenomenal when compared to half term costs driving, such a shame as the ski train worked so well for us independently three times when the children were younger.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not sure Travelski have got their offering for UK skiers quite right yet. Their core (French) business appears to be providing self-catering apartments - which is fine when you are driving down, can bring supplies and if necessary can top up during the week; the apartments don't even have to be close to shops. But that doesn't work half as well for people arriving by train. My guess is that the majority of UK skiers wanting to travel by train (or plane) are looking for half-board accommodation.

On top of that, their website doesn't seem to be very flexible (not sure if they offer more if you try to get through on the phone). Almost all the offerings require two people to sleep on sofa-beds in the lounge, and in some case for others in mezzanine area or corridors, when I am sure many would be prepared to pay a bit more, e.g. for 6 people to actually have a 3-bedroom apartment. The inclusive ski-pass pricing operates against older skiers who would get a discount (or even free) pass in resort, as the option to provide ages only allows for children. And there seems to be no way to extend to a full-area pass, despite most of their resorts offering that: e.g. one property in Peisey-Vallandry is "only 50m from the Vanoise Express", but you don't even get the option of a Paradiski pass.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About 15 years ago I resigned from TUI and went to a smaller operator. The new company's staffing model was recruit in the UK and move all staff out in one fell swoop before the season started and this had always been by coach. I asked one of my contacts at Eurostar about taking everyone out by train and there was no problem for them. BUT, E* were taking the view that the group booking would have to provide them with the same nett profit that the same train would otherwise produce doing services to Paris, Brussels or Disney so that one didn't work. Likely as not the same attitude to "profit" prevails today (FWIW I am not averse to reasonable profit!)
Also, BSM station is so busy on a Saturday that I suspect that even if E* had the customer demand for two or three trains to arrive on a Saturday they would struggle to find the "paths" down the single track line between Albertville and BSM.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree. It's a simple commercial decision for them and strategically they have decided to focus on their 'core' destinations. The only hope is other innovators like Travelski leasing the trains. The French are certainly keen on more train options overall https://www.actumontagne.com/economie/les-maires-de-stations-de-montagne-demandent-plus-de-trains

@ecureuil - these are excellent points. Needs more understanding from Travelski
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ecureuil wrote:
I'm not sure Travelski have got their offering for UK skiers quite right yet. Their core (French) business appears to be providing self-catering apartments - which is fine when you are driving down, can bring supplies and if necessary can top up during the week; the apartments don't even have to be close to shops. But that doesn't work half as well for people arriving by train. My guess is that the majority of UK skiers wanting to travel by train (or plane) are looking for half-board accommodation.

On top of that, their website doesn't seem to be very flexible (not sure if they offer more if you try to get through on the phone). Almost all the offerings require two people to sleep on sofa-beds in the lounge, and in some case for others in mezzanine area or corridors, when I am sure many would be prepared to pay a bit more, e.g. for 6 people to actually have a 3-bedroom apartment. The inclusive ski-pass pricing operates against older skiers who would get a discount (or even free) pass in resort, as the option to provide ages only allows for children. And there seems to be no way to extend to a full-area pass, despite most of their resorts offering that: e.g. one property in Peisey-Vallandry is "only 50m from the Vanoise Express", but you don't even get the option of a Paradiski pass.

They do allow upgrades of passes, and equipment hire, tuition and premium class seats. Hotels are also available as are larger apartments negating the need to sleep on sofa beds plus hotels. Maybe if you gave an agency a call they would do all of the leg work for you in sorting this out and the price will be exactly the same - you just get the benefit of an expert knowing the system and product. If only could think of one such agency that would welcome a call from you............................. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ve started seriously looking to book now in Belle Plagne

21st jan. I can get E* cheap and the train from Paris to bourg at good value. So about £300 for 2 people.
Accommodation with a separate bedroom I can’t find below £650. I am fussy and want a double bedroom so looking at apartments that actually sleep 5/6 for just 2 of us.
Lift pass is £700 for 2
Travelski is offering a deal at £1700 for 2, premier class, including transfers and ski pass.
My planning is already at £1650 no transfer/no ABTA coverage/and second class. Seems like a no brainer!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy