Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the Volkl Deacon 72 the best new ski of 2023?

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting listening to Al, that's why I went for the Volkl Kendo.
The Deacon 72 looks and sounds like a throwback to the good old days of shorter/thinner piste skis. If that's your thing, then great.
Used to ski powder (when available) with Dynastar Dynasty or Course CdMonde and even Sally 9000 Equipe 2S power 8 (210cms), so for me the evolution of skis over the past 40 just shows the ebb and flow of design and functionality combined with increasingly modern materials, like Kevlar, Carbon, Titanal, Magnesium, Flax, etcetera.
72mm underfoot (for me) is not an "All Mountain" ski, methinks he doth protest too much! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skimastaaah, I'm not sure kevlar nor titanal are that recent an addition. The barely used Rossi 7SKs in my garage from about 1994 made a big thing of their kevlarity.

Plus why would you have skied S9ks Power "8" in a 210? My recollection was that the p8 was slightly detuned so I'd have thought you'd have been better off with a shorter power 9? Twisted Evil (I could of course be confusing with the excellent Völkl P9 and P10 of that vintage.)

not that it matters much now Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, I thought that the "power 8" bit of the original Salomon skis was the length.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, now you mention it, maybe? At the time* I was rather uninterested in Salomon skis, although I did own a pair of SX92s …

* hasn’t changed Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
@under a new name, I thought that the "power 8" bit of the original Salomon skis was the length.

It was.

Instead of selling in a cm length, they had a PR rating. I believe it went from PR5 to PR8. It took into account factors like contact length, flex and swing weight. I think that when you worked out your PR rating (say PR7), it then remained the same across the whole Salomon range, even though the length of those skis would be different.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-06-22 20:29; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, The Power 8 refers to length of the Salomon skis, and I can remember skis way before the nineties before Kevlar was being used.
My thoughts on the Deacon 72's is that they have a decidedly "retro" look about them especially at the waist, and the radius looks rather "parabolic" as the French would say.

But I remember skiing some very good Salomon X-Race, X-Wings, and 3V LAB's over the years. The SX92 Equipes were, to be honest, a bit of a fad. I soon swapped them for a pair of yellow/black Rossignol Course.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimastaaah, my first skis (1970ish) were 110cms wooden “Blue Masters” (Fischer) with no construction other than being wooden and iirc no edges.

I was enormously excited to upgrade to 130cms Red Masters with green plastic bases and !! Metal Edges Laughing

Yeah the SX92s were crap. So many adjustments, so little idea.

Upgraded them to the original Tecnica TNTs which were a delight. And a great colour.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
CH2O wrote:
Utter Nonsense, besides which he skied it with a rental binding, the final choice of binding could radically change the ski.......

Al skied it with the rMotion12 rail binding (as pictured) which is the only binding available on the Deacon 72. My pick would be the Deacon 72 Master which is the same ski but with a full aspen core (like their FIS skis) mounted with the Marker piston race plate and XComp bindings which is a much more rigid set-up.

Solid advice Jon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Husky Dave wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
CH2O wrote:
Utter Nonsense, besides which he skied it with a rental binding, the final choice of binding could radically change the ski.......

Al skied it with the rMotion12 rail binding (as pictured) which is the only binding available on the Deacon 72. My pick would be the Deacon 72 Master which is the same ski but with a full aspen core (like their FIS skis) mounted with the Marker piston race plate and XComp bindings which is a much more rigid set-up.

Solid advice Jon.

Now... If you are suggesting tuning up a ski to full FIS spec and mounting a binding to get it more rigid.. Then the AM aspect use of the ski is ridiculous.. Most people can't get the most out of a FIS ski on a prepared piste. Thought people wanted an easier ride everywhere AM ski with a "bit" of perfornance bias . Best get doing some extra heavy squats and lunges and some lessons if they're going off piste snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m not sure PJ was suggesting that as as an AM option but rather as a Piste smashing option. I have my eye on a Swiss precision engineering instrument Stockli AX 175 but am aware my German cousins may be pawning some new fangled tech… that may even be better…
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As per some o the above posts, the PR was Salomon's way to size skis. I think they did some 8000 models, which were detuned from the 9000s. Not sure if there was an 8000 Equipe though. There was an 8000 Expert, but I don't think there was an 8000 Force (would kind of defeated the object). They also did an S rating (1S to 3S) which indicated if the ski was aimed more for shorter or longer radius turns. I was working in a ski shop at the time, and it did take a bit of explaining when most punters would ask for a ski solely by its length, which would always be a multiple of 5 (though I think Rossignol had already started confusing people with e.g. 203s)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@viv, just to be a pedant, I think skis were in 5s until 200, then typically 203, 205, 207, 210 ...

Rossi decided with the 7S to shorten the tip, to reduce swing weight, apparently, which iirc were 197, 201, etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@viv, just to be a pedant, I think skis were in 5s until 200, then typically 203, 205, 207, 210 ...

Rossi decided with the 7S to shorten the tip, to reduce swing weight, apparently, which iirc were 197, 201, etc.

And some brands (like K2) gave a measurement that was Contact Length, whereas mostly, it was to the tip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@viv, That rings a bell - I had some 9000 Equipe 9E2S PR8's which I seem to remember were GS - fantastic skis at the time and used for every condition both on and off piste, but no visible sidecut and moguls were quite hard work since they were 203cm long!
Apologies for the thread drift...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, I'm thinking around 1990? I don't recall (!) K2 being so avant garde at that point ?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I'm thinking around 1990? I don't recall (!) K2 being so avant garde at that point ?

K2 were still measuring contact length in around 2007. I don't know when (if?) they went back to the norm.
snow report
Suggest this might be a better choice if you’re really looking for a good value All Mountain ski
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2022-2023-k2-mindbender-99ti
snow report
@iainm, what a great conversation starter (for early June!)
@BobinCH, the dinosaur comment made me smile
@Old Fartbag, “ In the UK we have Piste; All Mountain; Freeride and Powder skis” - what does the ROtW have if we’ve got the whole spectrum covered?
I just did a tot up and the vast majority of my skis are >91mm and that includes piste skis like my BC Camox which many would consider all mountain skis. Almost all my experience in the last 18 years has very much skewed my norm to wider skis since moving to Mantras (9Cool. Two out & out piste skis Fischer Curvs and DPS Cassiars are very rarely skied. For me, I’m looking at sub-100s as a very skiable piste ski and anything over 93 making it into the All Mountain category.
One thing I think we might all be able to agree on is that the DPS Spoons are a powder ski…
latest report
Grinning wrote:
what does the ROtW have if we’ve got the whole spectrum covered?

Sorry - can you tell me what ROtW is short for.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 6-06-22 8:35; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Rest of the World?
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Rest of the World?

Thanks.

@Grinning. They will have what the ski companies provide (same as UK) but may label differently. As I said above, the USA has AM Frontside and AM Backside. In the middle of all this, there is how the skis themselves are marketed by the different brands.

So, what I am trying to say, is we all, by in large, have access to the same pool of skis.....but how they are described in various parts of the world may differ.
ski holidays
Grinning wrote:
@iainm, what a great conversation starter (for early June!)

True enough and very interesting debate. I'll include some of these commennts in Episode 96 and we can continue the conversation!
snow report
Lots of credits for Snowheads in Episode 96 - listen in as Al addresses lots of these points (about 50 mins in IIRC)
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0kADu9ebiLfhcHPKLD3fM4
https://audioboom.com/posts/8106718-96-royals-on-the-snow-chamonix-neil-english-pre-loved-skiwear
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
Lots of credits for Snowheads in Episode 96 - listen in as Al addresses lots of these points (about 50 mins in IIRC)
https://audioboom.com/posts/8106718-96-royals-on-the-snow-chamonix-neil-english-pre-loved-skiwear

Hah - Fame at last!

Despite respecting Al's knowledge and experience - I still don't think that 72 underfoot should be marketed as an AM ski.....and up to very recently, I don't think it was/would have been, by any manufacturer. I do understand however, the fine (diplomatic) line Al has to tread on these matters.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, got a mention too. NehNeh
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
iainm wrote:

Hah - Fame at last!

Despite respecting Al's knowledge and experience - I still don't think that 72 underfoot should be marketed as an AM ski.....and up to very recently, I don't think it was/would have been, by any manufacturer. I do understand however, the fine (diplomatic) line Al has to tread on these matters.

Of course it shouldn’t. It’s utter garbage. As was his line about a 106mm ski being an All Mountain in the US while a 72/74 could be an All Mountain in Europe. When walking a fine line equals spouting misleading marketing drivel it’s gone too far. Look at the Blister reviews for the gold standard in ski reviews IMO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy