Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfers! Are there any reasonable ones?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been looking up the cost of transfers....
Now I'm not sure if my memory is somewhat rose-tinged, but have they (and car hire!) become stupid-expensive?
I found the cheapest transfer from Geneva airport to Samoens is getting on for £450, with the very cheapest car hire at £400. Though not sure my skis would fit!
This brings the cost of flying, including transfers and parking in the UK to around £950!
I can drive there for nearer £600, including an Ibis on the way out and back.
Any suggestions? Or is it The Drive?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to a different country with a decent train and integrated bus system. Austria and/or Switzerland
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Leonard Smalls, I don't know about the cost of transfers, but as a general comment on the cost of car hire many sHs have commented on the fact that car hire in European countries at the moment is significantly higher than in previous years. An explanation often given, which sounds plausible, is that during the pandemic car rental firms sold off their vehicles as they had virtually no business, and when business picked up again and they started to buy vehicles to restock they were affected by the world wide shortage of new cars which in turn is due to automotive semiconductor shortages post pandemic. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Door-door Geneva-Chamonix transfers were a bit more expensive last winter than 2019 e.g. ~ €90 return vs iirc ~ €70.

No idea re Samoens transfer infrastructure.

The car hire business, marginal at the best of times, aiui, had a torrid time over the crise. Its pre-crisis business model essentially made no sense. And is broken. Probably never to recover long term. C.f. Autonomous vehicles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am not sure if you can expect to access next winter's transfer schedules and prices yet.

While it takes a little longer, an inexpensive solution is always to use public transport. Geneva Airport to Cluses by train will cost well under 20 euros each way, with an hourly service. I am pretty sure there will be a bus service from Cluses station to Samoens, though the timetable currently online is the very sparse low season one. With luck someone here will know the winter frequency.

However it does seem to be the case that transfer companies were hard hit by Covid, and the winter just gone the prices were higher than previously, and there were less frequent services for the shared transfers. However they still exist and we got a shared transfer to St Gervais for 46 euros a head each way, which is about the same distance as Samoens.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-06-22 15:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Leonard Smalls, oh and friends in March saved huge money by hiring their car from Veyrier, a modest taxi drive from GVA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
saved huge money by hiring their car from Veyrier,

I found much cheaper car hire in Annecy - about £220 for the week. But that's a bit of a hike with 2 cases and ski bag!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Leonard Smalls,
young miniRoll has today booked train from Gva - Bourg: admittedly mid week, and admittedly this summer, for €45 return. There's a lot to be said for public transport.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Leonard Smalls, I think their taxi was 4 mins? But a few CHFs!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did Samoens GVA transfer in March … taxi David … e480 return for 8 seater … great service and good price too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PBJ wrote:
Did Samoens GVA transfer in March … taxi David … e480 return for 8 seater … great service and good price too.

That's the sort of price I'm appalled at!
When a 77km journey using about 6l of fuel and taking about 1hr10 costs over £200 someone's extracting the Fosters!
It is after all the same price as flights from Birmingham for 2 with bags and ski bag!
Last time I flew it was a similar price altogether for airport parking, flight and transfer as driving, channel tunnel, tolls and 2xIbis hotel.
Now driving is about £300 cheaper!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 1-06-22 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was going to suggest the train as well. I've got the train to Cluses before from Lyon then the bus to Flaine, I suppose Samoens isn't much different.

Rome2Rio reccomends taking the bus for between £14 to £24.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That e480 return is for 8 people … so £50 each return … I think that’s fine.
You can get a bus to close to Samoens too for a bit less
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Leonard Smalls, but the someone doing the transfer doesn't work all the time - in peak season transfers can be doing 4 or 5 return trips to GVA a day, but they have to finance and insure a vehicle all year round, comply with onerous Swiss rules on who can drive, and run a schedule that allows for flight delays etc. They're not earning £200 per trip every day. If they were lots of them wouldn't have given up over the last couple of years. I have mates who run transfer companies who have got through by the skin of their teeth, and thanks to the B word can't employ people at the rates they could. So their costs have gone up again. The actual distance/time of the transfer isn't the issue - nthe fixed costs of taking a minibus to Geneva airport have gone up significantly - so of the c£200 (Morzine is c£180 each way) you spend, most is fixed cost rather than diesel.

We generally hire now and hire cars can be as little as £50 a day, but normally £80 and often £100+ next winter. So if you're going for a week and there's more than 4 of you a £200 transfer can be the best way (assuming you can't get the train - which we generally can't as we do evening flights).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay wrote:
[ and there's more than 4 of you a £200 transfer can be the best way

I'm still waiting for some ditherers... But there may be 4 of us on a transfer, which does make it reasonable. Just not for 2!
However, if those ditherers were to come with us in our car we'd be looking at transport/tunnel/hotel costs of about £175 each! It 's still double that if all 4 of us were to fly...
snow report
@Leonard Smalls, not sure why you can't find a shared transfer ... ?
ski holidays
Nowt comes up - Samoens isn't that popular despite being a great place (shhhh)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy