Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time, falls...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey people, I think your clock is one hour slow. I think you're on GTM, because I posted something at 09:00, not 08:00 which is what your UI says. I'm fairly sure it's you not me, but let's see if this post time comes up correctly as 11:20, or incorrectly at 10:20.
Here's an image from this May anyway.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a setting in your profile that needs changing when the clocks change. Needs automating really. Bl00dy hamsters, just can't get the staff Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK wise guys, which time do you want to be displayed:

a. the time on your laptop or phone (11:22), which due to your system settings is still in GMT even though you are in Germany which is now on summertime (13:22)
b. the time reported by your ISP or VPN/security service provider (could be EDT - 06:22)
c. the time on the server (12:22)

Answer: well, it depends...

- It depends on whether your browser is allowed to report your location
- It depends on whether your clock is set correctly (easier on a phone than on a PC)
- It depends which you'd rather see - current location time, or home time, or maybe you work for a company in California and your system is permanently set to PST

Since no-one can agree on the answer, the simplest solution is for you to set it once in your forum profile and be happy forever more - or at least until you fiddle with the clocks again. Why can't you guys just stop doing that? Confuses the hell out of me...

And before you say the system should automatically adjust for daylight savings, remember that while the whole of Europe changes on the same date, the rest of the world doesn't follow that rule, and in the US there are some real oddities - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#Procedure and be thankful you don't live in Morocco or deal with organising meetings with people there. DST rules are updated on most operating systems at least twice a year to catch up with some fun change somewhere in the world where this year the whole shift will be delayed by 3 days because it clashes with National Cat Day rolling eyes

:ham:
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I just generally accept I'm an hour out half the year. The right time is only a manmade construct anyway......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not complaining. No big deal. I don't like "daylight saving" as a concept either. However...

I'd just pass fully qualified time from the server, then render it on the client.
That way it's always correct and consistent wherever the user has told their client that it is,
which is irrelevant to the server and the problem.

The system should never dick with any of that and if UK based ought to run GMT all the time.
In fact it probably does wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
philwig wrote:
Hey people, I think your clock is one hour slow. I think you're on GTM, because I posted something at 09:00, not 08:00 which is what your UI says. I'm fairly sure it's you not me, but let's see if this post time comes up correctly as 11:20, or incorrectly at 10:20.
Here's an image from this May anyway.

Iceland? Looks great
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, good conditions, variable weather, more snow than you get in June.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Time is an artificial construct designed to enslave the masses and watch shoyte early evening TV ‘entertainment’.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you'll find it is precisely the number of seconds that have elapsed since the Unix epoch, excluding leap seconds. Depending on what you're using, of course.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doesn't sH's work on ski time? ...which by coincidence is the same as GMT.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@adithorp,
From 1884 until 1972, GMT was the international standard of civil time. It has now been replaced by Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), although GMT is still the legal time in Britain in the winter, and is used by the Met Office, Royal Navy and BBC World Service. Greenwich Mean Time is also the name of the time zone used by some countries in Africa and Western Europe, including in Iceland all year round. I suspect SH's time is UTC...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
F*ck GMT Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dr.Snow, yes but would it make any difference if Snowheads operated in UTC rather than GMT?

I thought that although there is a difference in precisely what they refer to, the actual time is the same.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:

I'd just pass fully qualified time from the server, then render it on the client.)

is the right answer
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, And is what happens on one of my sites. User has the option of local or UTC.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy