Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding sizes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any help welcome...

I'm a 9.5 well worn in boot and not sure if I'm better with M/L or L/XL Rome bindings.

My boot fits perfectly on the footbed and straps for the M/L but with zero highback I'm centred on the board and can't adjust any further to the heel (maxxed out) so if I increase highback have increasingly more toe overhang.

The L/XL is slightly larger footbed so have maybe 5mm each side of boot to binding so not as snug, but the straps tighten fine with plenty of extra space to tighten further if needed. I'm in the middle of the heel/toe adjustment so from that point of view perfect.

Would you
A) size up and get more adjustability
B) size down and get a snug boot/binding fit
C) Go for a different binding?

If anything, next set of boots I'll get would be a half size smaller but doubt that makes that much difference.

Don't know how much it matters having a bit of extra width on the footbed?

Thanks for any thoughts!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is zero highback ?
How does increasing highback give toe overhang ?

Do you mean ....
If you increase highback forward lean your flexion at the ankle has to/must be increased ...you dont ever move the boot forward in the binding ???
The boot heel will still remain setback hard in the binding heelcup .....with any increased forward lean .
If you cant hold a increased dosiflexed position from increased forward highback lean .....dont add forward lean at the highback .

Personally I run the smallest binding size that fits the boot size as this gives no boot movement in the binding ie slop .
Less binding size is better on weight also fits better on narrower boards..... and bootfit stays tight .

You are talking boots in the binding cross over sizes ie can use medium or large .
Size 9 boots and size 9.5 may well be exactly the same boot or not ie 27.5 and 28cm .....it depends on boot brand and if they are 1:1 or 1:2 boot lasting.
You need to work in cm/mm /mondo with boots .....you can forget uk school shoe sizing its not snowboard boot sizing....same with your feet

With a 27cm 27.5cm boot I run size medium bindings in Burton, Salomon and M/L in Union note 28cm could be maxed in some brands fine in others .

Using Salomon med binding I can lift the board off the snow with one foot in the binding and both straps undone ...this means I need to use less strap pressure or tightening .
Some riders would hate this and do prefer larger bindings but in my case I run as small as poss on both narrower and wide boards
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

What is zero highback ?

I mean minimum forward lean on highback - ie as vertical as the setting will allow.

Quote:

How does increasing highback give toe overhang ?

Do you mean ....
If you increase highback forward lean your flexion at the ankle must be increased ...you dont move the boot forward in the binding ???
The boot heel will still remain setback hard in the binding heelcup .....with any increased forward lean .

Hmm my ankle dorsiflexes a long way - get 12+cm on knee to wall test so don't think that's the issue. The boot doesn't seem malleable enough to not push it forward from the very back of the heel cup with forward lean.

Quote:

If you cant hold a increased dosiflexed position .....dont add forward lean at the highback .

Yes, I must be honest I normally ride with my highback at minimum forward lean Laughing but heelside carves a bit sketchy and might have wanted to play around with it... Probably makes the whole discussion a bit academic admitting that

Quote:

Personally I run the smallest binding size that fits the boot size as this gives no boot movement in the binding .
Less binding size is better on weight also fits better on narrower boards..... and bootfit stays tight .

Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards, rather than having a looser binding, but wanted to know what others thought.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Others will think COMPLETELY different .

That doesnt mean what they thinks wrong or ..... what you personally want or need long term .

Most snowboard shop salesman will oversize your bindings if you are in the cross over boot sizes ie size 9uk or 27.5cm roundabouts .

The whole bootfit control thing starts from the footbed and socks through liner and shell and also the binding .
Buy any of them too big and its just not ideal ..in laymans its a fk up or learning curve .

Dont forget to start working in mm/cm/mondo for both feet an boots .
If you dont know this your on the wrong path and it will effect the foundations of bootfit and control

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 25-03-23 21:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on your angles ...but more specifically for softboot carving running a forward angled stance..... the forward lean will be more on the rear highback .

You can crank the forward lean up for perfect piste carving conds ie. on a temp basis or test basis and it will help but its not going to work if you veer off piste an hit tight tree powder ..not with my legs anyway ... far to restrictive and even dangerous as wood is hard, hurts and never losers a fight .

Something I found softboot carving that is not mainstream but you will hear it from the most knowledgable bootfitters/skiers is you need to train the Anterior Tibialis .
Its the most untrained muscle in skiing snowboarding ...surfers know it already especially those in the barrel (or tube riding) which is high level flexibility and even very high risk over sucking shallow reef or with coral heads .

You need strenght right through a increased range of motion at the ankle to carve well or snowboard well ie dorsiflexion .... and crucially this strenght through increased range .....must be both in compression and extension..... which probably isnt the correct physio terms (as I have forgotten)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 26-03-23 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for the advice!

I'll get working on my tibialis anterior for next year... I'll have shins like Popeye

I'll try cranking the ankle strap tightness right up if I do try some forward lean see if that helps keep the boot centred
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy