Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to buy teenagers first boots

Poster: A snowHead
A question for those with teenagers. Jr skis 2-3 weeks a season and has about 15 weeks under his skis. We always hire at the top level package for him and whilst the skis normally reflect this, sometimes the boots are a bit ropey. At 15 is he likely to outgrow a decent pair or is he likely to get a few years out of them? He’s a size 44-45 so the same as me; I’m just wondering if by next season he’ll have done with growing. Any experience or thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My money is on you wearing his cast offs after one season if you buy for him now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in the same situation. What I'm doing is buying second hand or remainder stock in DS mondo point size, in the (so far true) hope that he will find them a great deal better than the hire stock. Then aiming to sell on. As it happens, I've got a pair at the moment!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My money is on you wearing his cast offs after one season if you buy for him now

Yes. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had this discussion on here a few months ago and some agreed that you need to worry about calf ankle fit , if his toes are 2mm or 22mm away from toe box what difference does it really make
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Feet are among the first things to get big, and among the first to stop growing. You say he's matched you in shoe size already. If he's mostly caught or passed you height-wise his feet aren't going to have another big growth spurt, and you can buy. Otherwise...

For my kids I spent the time and effort in town buying stuff (and trading, and doing hand-me-downs etc to control costs) rather than messing around at the resort renting stuff that often doesn't fit or work very well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
joffy69 wrote:
I'm in the same situation. What I'm doing is buying second hand or remainder stock in DS mondo point size, in the (so far true) hope that he will find them a great deal better than the hire stock. Then aiming to sell on. As it happens, I've got a pair at the moment!

They don’t happen to be 44/45 do they
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. I’ll hold off on new ones but I will search the second hand/end of stock sales for now and see if we can get something comfortable but better than hires.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobH2017 wrote:
Thanks all. I’ll hold off on new ones but I will search the second hand/end of stock sales for now and see if we can get something comfortable but better than hires.

Good call. I’d also consider asking the hire shop if they’d do you a deal at the end of the week when he next hires a pair he likes. You might be surprised how cheap it is.

The advice I got from a boot fitter is that 18 is a good estimate for when boys feet stop growing. 15 for girls. He did say there was more variation with boys.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, I would leave it a few years from my experience or go second hand if they are decent quality/price. Also have more kids to get better value on hand me downs!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

go second hand if they are decent quality/price. Also have more kids to get better value on hand me downs!

This is what we've done for ski and snowboard boots for our two, although getting your money's worth out of ski-gear is a terrible financial reason to have more kids...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son was 16 and daughter 14 at the start of last season. We've mostly done second hand, we bought one new pair once because they were a good price and we knew we could hand them down from son to daughter to get use out of them. This year we bought new but cheapish (Decathlon) - partly because of time constraints. Bigger question for me is if/when we go to solutions4feet and get it all done properly. The Decathlon boots have been OK but they are really rubbish at staying/getting dry and the feet is no more than adequate. So maybe we'll bite the bullet this autumn.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't see how once you get into adult ski boots that buying new and planning on flipping on is particularly viable. Not least as cost is high and demand is low. Maybe if you buy the Decathlon Wedze range....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr P was able to give at least one of his boys his cast offs when they got to 16 or so. The thing with kids who had skied since they were 5 or 6 was that so much better than us, they were able to ski in any decent quality boots that were the right size.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
Mr P was able to give at least one of his boys his cast offs when they got to 16 or so. The thing with kids who had skied since they were 5 or 6 was that so much better than us, they were able to ski in any decent quality boots that were the right size.

I did this (and treated myself to new boots - win/win situation!). All good until his feet got bigger than mine. Seems that kids can ski in most things (and dont complain either ) also I guess their feet are more of a "standard" shape when young and don't yet have protrutions and growths that adult feet have and need fitting around.
snow conditions
My 17yo can complain with the best of em but yeah up to 14/15 they are very tolerant.
snow report
When their feet stop growing, otherwise it's a pair every year.
latest report
Personally I would buy boots right from when they are little kids. Here in Norfolk at the Snowsports Club dry slope there is a thriving market in second/third/fourth hand ski boots in all sizes, including good kids/teens race boots.
snow report
I have found little kids so tolerant of whatever boots they are given that until/unless they get really good, or into racing, I wouldn't bother with the hassle of buying and storing them. One of my grand-daughters was complaining very mildly about her boots in a lesson one day - the instructor then noticed that she had them on the wrong feet...... One of my nephews was bought a pair of boots by a keen, but utterly ignorant mother, for Christmas. He was about 13 and by the time he came skiing a couple of months later he'd grown out of them.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
My 17yo can complain with the best of em but yeah up to 14/15 they are very tolerant.

Possibly as in many cases I’m sure they get given boots that are too big (to grow into wink ) rather than ones that pinch.
latest report
Since my eldest grew out of full tilt adjustable boots, I’ve bought 5 pairs of boots in 1 size increments. I buy them during the summer when they’re 50% off and just keep them until he’s ready for the next pair. He always changes in the summer, I think because he’s skiing less, so less used to uncomfortable boots and because it’s hotter in the summer so you’re feet swell up a bit. The old ones then get put back in the box and my daughter is slowly working her way through them. I might sell them at some point or just keep them for my nieces kids.
ski holidays
No idea why folks think this is even an issue. My tip: When they ask for them for a Christmas Present!!

For Info: I have 3 and never bought boots until they asked. 22 year old (skis maybe 3/4 weeks a year) prefers to hire each season. 21 Year old (skis maybe 3/4 weeks a year) finally found some that he really likes this year and bought them. 20 year old (Ski Instructor Canada) has 3 pairs!! Very Happy
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, your kids obviously didn't have awkward shaped feet then. Mini_mg has very narrow feet with very high insteps. She was very happy in a pair of Roces adjustable boots for several years (cost £35 from Sports direct, IIRC) but a few years ago she started to comment that they didn't feel great. We went through pretty much every shop here that sells boots, and found just 1 pair that weren't painful but still held her ankles firmly enough. Hiring would have almost certainly been a holiday breaker for her.
latest report
we've got roces adjustables for both our kids. 1st pair have had 18 weeks skiing in them, chuck liners in the wash machine to freshen up. little un will get another 5 weeks next season in them. That's 23 weeks at £80 £3.47 a week. No doubt I'll be able to pass them on to someone else to keep the stoke flowing as well
ski holidays
@RobH2017, always a question we get asked at he shop, the answer is always difficult to be precise with as everyone is different.... normally we are seeing junior racers and parents want a size up so they don't grow out of them, not something that ethically i will do.... but.... for girls MOST feet will have stopped growing by age 13/14, boys it is completely different 15/16 and often 17 but every individual is different, personally i would hang off a year or 2 yet... the aim being you buy him one pair and by the time he needs another he has left home gone to uni and got a job to pay for them with Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@CEM, Like minds my friend and the boots you did for me at the start of the season are still fabulous, worth every penny! The other thing I've noticed is that it isn't just about feet! My 21 Year old Powerlifiting Rugby player has very large calves. Yes his feet stopped growing in late teens but boots would have been wasted by the subsequent changes in the shape of his lower legs. It all comes down to personal choice in the end I suppose.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy