Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of the season in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
As had become my pre-covid routine, I booked a four-night trip to Saas-Fee for their last week of the season. Having skied in bitterly cold January and slushy mild March, I was not expecting much, to be honest, in terms of snow conditions. But I was pleasantly surprised and conditions were much better than at Nendaz/Verbier in the middle of March. Against a backdrop of reported horror stories of ski bags not making it onto flights at Terminal 5, I switched to an early Swiss flight from Terminal 2. Ironically, on the evening before travel, my flight was cancelled and rebooked onto a flight departing two hours later. This scuppered plans for skiing in the afternoon but otherwise was ok. Baggage reclaim at Geneva was far less hassle than in March and straight on to the train and to Saas-Fee via the connecting bus from Visp. I stayed at the Hotel Christiania in the main street - traditional, friendly and comfortable and decent value at just under 100CHF a night. Also fortunate to have the Magic Pass 2022/23 spring supplement which meant I could ski all week for just 99CHF - an exceptional saving on the normal lift pass prices. Inevitably, the resort was beginning to wind down for the end of season but there were plenty of bars and restaurants still doing good business. The Spieldboden ski area was closing but the rest of the mountain was open and uncrowded. The snow was typically spring-like, hard first thing, softening through the day, slushy later. But above 2,300m and up on the glacier conditions were excellent. Had an outstanding lesson with Ski Zenit's ski school director - perhaps the best instruction I've had in 50 years of skiing. The return trip was painless. Ski until 2.15pm, quick change and back on the 3.22pm post bus and the train straight into the airport with no dramas! Unlike March, the security/passports etc were busy but the lounges were open this time so took full advantage of the refreshments and food in the Swiss business lounge (felt they owed me a little bit for the cancellation!). Back in the UK at 9.30pm to conclude a most satisfactory 21/22 ski season! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LOTA, Well done ... I've never been to Saas Fee, 99Chf ..... wow that is the best bargain in Switzerland .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DrLawn, the Magic Pass, bought at pre-season prices, is magnificent value, even more so for Switzerland!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @LOTA, what area's are covered on the Magic Pass?
I'll probably look it up in a minute.

My daughter lives in Switzerland .. but they never mentioned it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, I got it for 399CHF - now gone up to 459 CHF.

Covers 53 areas - some big, some much smaller.

https://www.magicpass.ch/en/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Magic Pass…

Look for day it launches…
Wait by computer for the moment it becomes available…
Press ‘buy’ immediately…panic that the website won’t work…heart in mouth
All works really smoothly…
Take the hit on that month’s credit card bill…
Get them at 399chf - hurrah!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Magic Pass is a ridiculous bargin, so much so the first year it came out we had to check with Swiss locals to make sure it wasn't some sort of scam. I'm guessing that there is a finance arrangement with the Canton, otherwise it doesn't make financial sense for any of the resorts.

When skiing in Saas-Fee the 399CHF paid for itself in 9 days I believe, there have been odd exceptions though, one year Saas-Grund across the valley wasn't on it. If is makes financial sense for a holiday skier, it is a must have for locals reducing skiing costs by a huge margin as the biggest expense of the day has been removed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict, agree with everything you say. Saas Grund is still not on the Magic Pass - apparently they wanted to be but were turned down! That's what I was told and it makes no sense whatsoever!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Magic Pass - previously included Crans Montana our local manor. Now it doesn’t - complex politics. Grrr.

Get in car.
Where are we going?
Nax
Get out of car.
Walk back up 63 steps to chalet.
Grab Magic Passes and put Crans M passes in jar by the door.
Phew.
Arrive at Nax with the right passes.

Next day
Where are we going?
Barzettes.
Get out of car.
Walk back up 63 steps to chalet.
Grab Crans passes and put Magic Pass passes in jar by the door.

Must try to L E A R N
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:

Must try to L E A R N

Hehe. With me it's usually the opposite problem - get half way down to the lift before remembering that the lift pass is in my other jacket, if I was teaching the previous day or vice versa. Couple of times I've had to buy a day pass, which is then fully refunded on presentation of the season pass, so it's not the end of the world.

As for the Magic Pass, yes, it's always looked great, but doesn't include the PdS (or Verbier, IIRC) so is of no use to us. There was a 'Flash Sale' of full PdS 22/23 season tickets for around 600 chuff/euros last month, limited to the first 5000 applicants, but there's a much better deal for proper residents ( we have C permits here) of the local commune if you buy before September, and I get mine (not for free) through the ski school of course. Full price season pass is an eye-watering amount, >1100 last year, so these deals are definitely significant.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We finished the season in switzerland too, first time I have ever actually skied there and similar to you was not expecting a lot after a bit of a slushiest in Mayrhofen mid march. Arriving in the village it was so quiet briefly until thousands of just eat staff on a work p up arrived. To be honest though they kept the town and nightlife busy and buzzing while most didn't bother to hit the slopes really so they were almost empty. This was the weekend before the close down weekend and my little single room cost me 110chf for 3 nights and the lift pass was 99chf for 3 days. Snowed every night and bluebird days every day.....fell a bit in love with switzerland
[img] /img]
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ollski2.0, where's that?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@telford_mike, Arosa is written on the gondola.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arosa - one of my favourites. Must return soon...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HutToHut wrote:
well spotted! Went for a week 20+ years ago and enjoyed it. Nice mellow skiing.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
HutToHut wrote:
well spotted! Went for a week 20+ years ago and enjoyed it. Nice mellow skiing.

Not quite so mellow now it's linked with Lenzerheide!
latest report
Hi @valais2,
I'm going to Crans Monatana with my family for half term in February as thats your parish ..
Are there any early lift pass purchase discounts or bargains to be had ?
Especially for a 73 year old ...
And/Or are there options for non skiers to get up the hill for a Lunch meet up?
snow conditions
@DrLawn, ....sorry for late reply....been focussed on mtb-ing....best option I think is a five day or seven day pass from CMA lift company - I think discounts for over 70 (none for over 60s now, all shifted upwards) - the CMA website is good for clear guidance on passes ... there are discounts for early purchase.

https://mycma.ltibooking.com/en

actually some lovely options for gettng up hill.

Get bus from Crans to Aminona - walk up road signed 'Colombiere', then 1.2km up, great restaurant with views to Matterhorn and Weisshorn - cafe La Cure. Worth booking since popular on a sunny day. No longer skiable to from top, unless piste open from Petit Mt Bonvin, which it is ... sometimes. But mostly not. Fine if you are confident off piste - some secret stashes on the way down to La Cure that even I don't know about...Alison and Co from Geneva are keeping it secret.

Get bus up to Plan Mayens - then walk up through woods and then hardpack snow path to Chez Irvine - lovely tiny place regret cash only. About a 15 min walk.

Lift from town - Grand Signal up to Tom Pouce - was free for non-skiers, now needs pass I think - the at top of lift is Arnouva Restaurant. No views, but good place to meet.

Good food and good meet point is cafe and restaurant Zerodix. At base station Crans.

Lovely but a hike is Chetzeron - owned by Sami and Family - voted one of the best hotels in the world - but not with 3* food prices thank goodness - lift up to Cry D'err from Crans then 40 min walk at side of piste. It's the old lift station at the end of the long blue piste. Views of .... Mont Blanc to Matterhorn - in fact six 4000m mountains.Stunning.
latest report
Cheers @valais2,

I'll have to have a deeper study of your lovely options for gettng up hill

I'll do that when I have more time...

I looked at the MyCMA site .. it looks clear if quite complicated .. I can't understand why some of the shorter options have a bigger discount than the longer ones.
I'll study that later and try and work out the logic of it.

Big thanks I'll let you know how we get on.

Oh forgot, there is a new funicular up from the valley. When we arrive on the Saturday afternoon in February by train .. is this the best way fo come up from the station in the valley?
Or do we take the bus?
Is the fair part of the liftpass or is it an insignificant amount?
snow conditions
@DrLawn, ….ah….up from Sierre. Depends on time. Last bus is 9pm ish.

Bus - two routes up - via Randogne-Bluche-Montana….sort of anti-clockwise up.
Second via Chemignon en haute-Crans sort of clockwise up.

If you are staying in Montana side - get first.
Staying in Crans - get second.

Funicular arrives the Barzettes (East) end of Montana - not good for Crans.
400m walk from Rail station to funicular. 15min journey. (Compare 18km on road - taxi 80 chf)
Regret fare not included in lift pass. I think 13chf single.
latest report
Hi @valais2, the location of the apartment is somewhere about here:

https://w3w.co/joints.facelift.friction

46.31112865414727, 7.477549353661411

I'm studying your "Guide Book" now Madeye-Smiley

Our train arrives at "12:23 Sierre/Siders Plat 3"

So its the second bus up .. I think its Crans where we are.

Cheers!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy