Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carry bag - newbie question

Poster: A snowHead
I am new to travelling with skis having just bought a pair at last. I used to rent them and carry only boots and helmet.

Would airlines flying out of the UK (BA/Swiss/Easyjet/Ryanair/TUI) be OK with a bag this size?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bag-for-4-skis-3-snowboards-grey/_/R-p-156416

Idea is to fill it with clothing as well and pay for 1 luggage (20 or 23kg) only...

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-05-22 11:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, should be fine - its common enough plan, shouldn't be an issue if you watch your weight limit.... (can you sense the 'But' coming)...

But,

You may find that your Terms and Conditions state that ski bags can ONLY contain skis - this is to protect the airlines from insurance claims on vast quantities of kit should your bag get left behind - outsize baggage is often the first stuff to get left should there be an issue with loading the plane. TBH don't worry too much about it, nobody is going to root through your luggage at check-in, but do make sure that you've got enough to survive for a day or so in your carry on luggage if the big bag doesn't turn up quite to plan.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tonyfo, I usually put my boots and skis in the ski bag, with clothing in another bag. That way if skis don't make it there (which does happen), you at least have something to put on. I can get two pairs of skis, one pair of boots and sticks in a bag like yours and end up with a weight of 20Kg. One pair of alpine skis is about 5kg.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If using EJ or Ryanair, don't take the package that includes hold luggage, and add the skis as sports equipment instead. Then pack to max weight allowed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends on the airline. All will let you carry that bag but the costs will differ. There isn't a single answer.

With BA on all bar the cheapest fare you could use that bag as you included hold luggage.

Swiss and Lufthansa carry skis for free in addition to your hold bag on all bar the cheapest fare, so no cost advantage to a big wheeled bag over a simple ski tube.

With EasyJet you can book a ski bag instead of hold luggage, so could use the bar you're looking at.

I'm pretty sure with Ryanair/TUI etc you'd have to book ski carriage for that bag.

There are a few additional things that are worth thinking about when choosing a ski bag. Personally, I have two: a simple ski bag that's basically just a padded tube and a big wheeled bag similar to the one you're looking at. For several reasons, my preference is to use a standard holdall for my gear and the padded tube bag for my skis. I've only used the big wheeled bag when there was a significant cost benefit, but other than that it was a pain. (Traveling to the EoSB by train avoided the cost issues with flying and worrying if my gear would arrive in the same place as me at the same time.)

Once loaded with all your gear, the big wheeled "coffin" bags are quite unwieldy and can be awkward to manoeuvre. They can be quite tricky to carry on the transfer buses from airport carparks etc. My padded tube bag easily fits diagonally across the back seat of the car with one end in the foot well; the big wheeled bag doesn't.

Another issue is that if the bag goes missing or if they choose not to load the oversize baggage for some reason, you'd end up without everything in the wheeled bag, compared to just skis (which are easy to rent).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
It depends on the airline. All will let you carry that bag but the costs will differ. There isn't a single answer.

With BA on all bar the cheapest fare you could use that bag as you included hold luggage.

Swiss and Lufthansa carry skis for free in addition to your hold bag on all bar the cheapest fare, so no cost advantage to a big wheeled bag over a simple ski tube.

With EasyJet you can book a ski bag instead of hold luggage, so could use the bar you're looking at.

I'm pretty sure with Ryanair/TUI etc you'd have to book ski carriage for that bag.

There are a few additional things that are worth thinking about when choosing a ski bag. Personally, I have two: a simple ski bag that's basically just a padded tube and a big wheeled bag similar to the one you're looking at. For several reasons, my preference is to use a standard holdall for my gear and the padded tube bag for my skis. I've only used the big wheeled bag when there was a significant cost benefit, but other than that it was a pain. (Traveling to the EoSB by train avoided the cost issues with flying and worrying if my gear would arrive in the same place as me at the same time.)

Once loaded with all your gear, the big wheeled "coffin" bags are quite unwieldy and can be awkward to manoeuvre. They can be quite tricky to carry on the transfer buses from airport carparks etc. My padded tube bag easily fits diagonally across the back seat of the car with one end in the foot well; the big wheeled bag doesn't.

Another issue is that if the bag goes missing or if they choose not to load the oversize baggage for some reason, you'd end up without everything in the wheeled bag, compared to just skis (which are easy to rent).

Thank you - that's quite a dilemma then when flying with anyone besides Swiss and lufthansa....how common is the issue of a ski bag not making it with EJ or BA?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the airlines have some sort of dimension limitation on luggage and sometimes particular dimensions when its declared/paid for as a ski bag. That one might be too big in terms of some airlines' dimensions but whilst I have had a ski bag weighed I have never had it measured, I guess if it looks ok they dont worry about it (Easyjet might as they would like to charge you for large sports equipment vs normal)

But overall I reckon that one would be ok.

Nor have I had it opened to see whats in it to comply with the one pair of skis/snowboard stipulation, so they dont really care whats in it but as has been said if you say its a ski bag and they say only ski equipment to go in (i.e. skis/board boots/poles) then if it gets lost or the other stuff gets damaged or left behind they wont pay for the replacement/renting the non-ski equipment you have in it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ster wrote:
All the airlines have some sort of dimension limitation on luggage and sometimes particular dimensions when its declared/paid for as a ski bag. That one might be too big in terms of some airlines' dimensions but whilst I have had a ski bag weighed I have never had it measured, I guess if it looks ok they dont worry about it (Easyjet might as they would like to charge you for large sports equipment vs normal)

Nor have I had it opened to see whats in it to comply with the one pair of skis/snowboard stipulation, so they dont really care whats in it but as has been said if you say its a ski bag and they say only ski equipment to go in (i.e. skis/board boots/poles) then if it gets lost or the other stuff gets damaged or left behind they wont pay for the replacement/renting the non-ski equipment you have in it.

Am I right in guessing that ski boots are excluded from that policy? Happy to lose t-shirts and underwear otherwise....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tonyfo, I have that exact bag, and used it twice this season, once with TUI once with Easyjet, both times with 2 pairs of skis, 2 sets of poles plus a few bits of clothes and had no issues either time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tonyfo, BA actually allow a ski bag as normal luggage but not on the cheap fare. Note that these cheap fares are only from Heathrow and Gatwick. If you fly from Glasgow or Manchester via Heathrow or Gatwick the cheap fare includes a hold bag which can be a ski bag.

I have a 50L Rab holdall with rucksack straps. I put my boots, helmet, gloves base layer and a pair of socks and ski trousers in that. Plus some smalls and a few T shirts etc to see me through if the big bag goes missing.

That way if the bag does get lost you have the gear to at least ski for a few days on rental skis until it arrives.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tonyfo wrote:
ster wrote:

Am I right in guessing that ski boots are excluded from that policy? Happy to lose t-shirts and underwear otherwise....

Usually ski boots are allowed as part of the ski carriage, so should be covered but I wouldnt rely on a new for old if things get lost. You might get a settlement depending on age?

You could ask geepee as an airline lost his ski boots recently. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4958994&highlight=boots#4958994

Just put those in your handluggage, lost skis are one thing to replace, lost boots quite another.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 6-05-22 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Once loaded with all your gear, the big wheeled "coffin" bags are quite unwieldy and can be awkward to manoeuvre.

This! They won't easily fit in the average rented car unless you are the only one with any baggage, and the last time I was on a transfer bus - quite a small one, at the pre Birthday Bash a couple of years ago, all those chunking great bags had to be lifted in through a rear window and stacked up in the aisle of the coach. We had lots of strong blokes to help with that, but it would have been impossible even for a strong man travelling alone.

Personally I would always be very reluctant to entrust my ski boots to the hold. I also have a strict policy of not travelling with luggage I can't carry myself up and down a set of stairs or through a turnstile - which would rule out one of those bags for me, but then I'm not very strong. Travelling across Paris or London by public transport (which I've done several times) I would go for a good backpack and a simple ski tube with some lightweight fleeces, socks, etc packed round the skis.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The starting point here is a BA Amex card. The BA Amex still allows you to accumulate Avios, which you can use to buy BA flights. If you plan far enough in advance, you can fly at very low cost. I recently took a family of 4 to GVA and back from LHR for £4. This removes the need to fly Easyjet or Ryanair and deal with their baggage policies.

As others have noted, BA's standard terms allow one double ski bag and two pieces of hand luggage. I have a Dakine fall line double, which will take two pairs of skis and enough gear for a week. I also have a Lange basic duo, which is a ski boot bag that fits in a hand luggage gauge. Thus, the ski boots go in the cabin along with heavier items that fit in a rucksack. If you hang out by the oversize baggage carousel at GVA, you will see the magic that economic incentives have wrought on the luggage choices of middle aged guys as I'm far from the only one doing this.

I have noticed that the 190 Dakine bag is too long for both the baggage scales at LHR and GVA. It registers at around 16kg when the measured weight on Gorilla's bathroom scales is closer to 23kg. Now, I am far too much of a goody two shoes to exploit something like this but others might not be.

Re hire cars - book a bigger hire car or just unpack it when you get to the vehicle.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ster, GeePee's boots were actually taken from the boot room in alleghe so he didn't have a pair for the BB week.

I believe because they were old he wasn't compensated by insurance.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GlasgowCyclops, who would take old boots??? Its not as if you could mistake them for yours like you might with skis.
ski holidays
Foot fetishist.... Puzzled
ski holidays
@tonyfo, how long are your skis? If they're much shorter than the bag, you'll end up with a bag that sags a bit below the handle and is a right pain to pull.
If you're only traveling with a single pair of skis (or perhaps 2 pairs) and they're not super long, a shorter bag will be better.
ski holidays
Long bag and relatively heavy. Airline checkin staff and particularly the guy at Oversize baggage drop won't give a poo-poo generally but you may find a stickler that won't like you cramming beyond 15kg or 20kg or whatever the weight allowance is or says that over 190cm is too long. Full disclosure - I have a Da Kine bag that is marked 185cm but I know fits skis maked up to 193cm in length,

Muppets in airports never give you enough room to tow your bag - just run over their feet and fake an apology afterwards.
snow report
Quote:

Muppets in airports never give you enough room to tow your bag - just run over their feet and fake an apology afterwards

Laughing Hmm. Seeing those bags coming is a bit like seeing those big straw donkeys of yester year - run for cover!

The huge confusion and complication of airline rules displayed on this thread is a good advertisement for every airline to have a simple policy of £ per KG for all luggage (and if you're being radical, everything taken onto the aircraft wink ) Why a skinny 5 year old with her Trunki should be charged the same as a 200 lb bruiser pulling along a coffin on wheels defeats me. Having done a huge amount of air travel on "full service airlines" and never anywhere near my full baggage allowance I resent subsidising the people who can't go anywhere without the kitchen sink. Even if it was mostly the British taxpayer paying for my ticket.
And Yes, I know I'm a miserable cow.
ski holidays
I've had two cases of muppetry in the last couple of years, one where I went to the boot room in the morning and my boots weren't there but there was a Dutch guy on the bench outside swearing loudly at the boots he was trying but failing to put on (mine!), and the other this year where we went to the ticket office on day 1 to get our passes for the week, and returned to the rack 15 feet away to discover my mate's skis were missing. A quick scan showed a puzzled German on the first 6 feet of piste trying to work out why his boots weren't engaging with the bindings on his skis - instead of his white and red Salomon skis that he'd just hired and which had the hire shop label on them, he had picked up the black and green Atomics which were older, longer, wider, and not carrying a hire shop label rolling eyes

All of my kit now has prominent labels with my name and a saltire, firstly to try to head off that sort of idiocy, and secondly to avoid any possible reply of "No, you must be mistaken, these are definitely mine".

I've also had someone attempt to walk off with my wheeled bag from the outsize baggage delivery point in Luton - he was collecting his mate's skis as well as his, and remembered that his bag was black, but the possibility that there might be more than one black bag had never crossed his tiny little mind. I usually try to make sure I get to the baggage area as fast as possible for exactly this reason.

In 10+ years of 2-3 trips per year with Easyjet (20+), Thomson (5+) and Jet2 (~3?) they've never yet failed to transport my wheeled bag. Even Ryanair (1 trip) and Lufthansa (1 trip) couldn't lose it. Fingers crossed that hasn't cursed me...
snow report
And on car hire, we regularly get 3 adults in a Skoda Fabia or VW Golf with 3 sets of skis of 155, 167 and 176 length respectively, and all in wheeled bags. It helps that the back seat passenger is 5'2", because the front seat passenger is 6'4", and I'm in between so don't have to drive with the seat all the way back.

The split rear seat is folded down on the driver's side of the car, the ski bags are run diagonally, and our hand baggage is put on top and around the bags in the boot area without any drama.
snow conditions
I've got one of these bags and they are quite common. I saw a few others at GVA this year, so make sure you clearly mark it so that someone else doesn't walk off with yours.

The bag itself is pretty good. One complaint is the handle at the front is fixed on the top of the bag rather than at the bottom, and you don't get enough height and you need to lift it slightly to avoid the bag dragging on the floor. If you are tall and/or have short arms you may be OK.
snow conditions
I've used a similar one for years with no problems. Carries skis and boots and some clothes, rest in hand baggage. Biggest difficulty was a train from Birmingham!
snow report
Quote:

I've also had someone attempt to walk off with my wheeled bag from the outsize baggage delivery point in Luton - he was collecting his mate's skis as well as his, and remembered that his bag was black, but the possibility that there might be more than one black bag had never crossed his tiny little mind. I usually try to make sure I get to the baggage area as fast as possible for exactly this reason.

I slap a few unique stickers on mine:

- a snowhead sticker which is rather rare in the US
- a EpicSki sticker which is rather rare in the continent
- a skidiva sticker which is rather rare for blokes

But now I need new carrier, I'll have to figure out what to put on it.
snow report
Biohazard tape? wink
snow report
This is why I love this forum... thank you for all the great answers - Ordering now.
snow conditions
Rather than start a new thread, figured I could hijack this one

Just checked in for my EasyJet flight in late jan, it had a notice saying prohibited items in hand/hold luggage etc

It said no sports equipment allowed in the cabin, and no cameras allowed in the hold

Normally, I just take a my helmet in its bag with a few small items as hand luggage to prevent it being squashed by baggage handlers (i quite like my brain)

And I'll usually have 2/3 GoPros in the hold, they are older ones with built in batteries, so no spares will be packed

Anyone have any idea if things are likely to go south if I pack as usual? Or is this more geared towards "no ice axes in the cabin" and your DSLR type cameras and accessories in the hold?

Cheers
latest report
MountainIdiot wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, figured I could hijack this one

Just checked in for my EasyJet flight in late jan, it had a notice saying prohibited items in hand/hold luggage etc

It said no sports equipment allowed in the cabin, and no cameras allowed in the hold

Normally, I just take a my helmet in its bag with a few small items as hand luggage to prevent it being squashed by baggage handlers (i quite like my brain)

And I'll usually have 2/3 GoPros in the hold, they are older ones with built in batteries, so no spares will be packed

Anyone have any idea if things are likely to go south if I pack as usual? Or is this more geared towards "no ice axes in the cabin" and your DSLR type cameras and accessories in the hold?

Cheers

No hijacking whatsoever. Thanks for posting. I will be flying with easyjet and have just bought a fancy POC helmet that I was hopping to carry in cabin. Can anyone advise?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always have my helmet in a rucksack as hand luggage. It's never a problem, including for people who have their helmets dangling from the outside very visibly.

For hold luggage, anything with a lithium battery is banned because of the small but real fire risk especially if the baggage grunts manage to damage it. Put that in your hand luggage as well. It also prevents theft - I wouldn't put a GoPro in hold luggage, no matter how old.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
It's never a problem, including for people who have their helmets dangling from the outside very visibly.

Yup, never had a problem with doing this (on BA & EJ anyway). Doesn’t then take up space in the carryon. But careful they don’t impact on hard objects and impair their protective capabilities when they are swinging around, like onto fellow passengers’ heads when you are walking along the aircraft’s aisle.
snow report
No batteries in the hold!

http://youtube.com/v/R5uwBkpsiZo

Flying Easyjet og Ryan - I would advice helmet on! Toofy Grin

If boots in the hold mark them - bootbags look all alike, biohazard og radioactive would not be the best marking - would not make the plane. Shocked
snow conditions
Anything with battery should be on your person in the cabin.
Where does it say about sports not being allowed in the cabin? Travelled last March under the new baggage size with my boots in my bag & helmet clipped outside without any problem!
snow report
Gored wrote:
Anything with battery should be on your person in the cabin.
Where does it say about sports not being allowed in the cabin? Travelled last March under the new baggage size with my boots in my bag & helmet clipped outside without any problem!

I can't find it elsewhere, it was just in the app when I checked in to get my boarding passes, tbh I can't see EasyJet staff being too concerned, just wanted to check others actual experience this season.

got some weird looks from Manchester airport security once for my helmet, but that's a whole other issue with that airport......
ski holidays
I always put my boots, skins, helmet and a couple of item of clothing in the bag. Never been an issue with people checking. I would be over the weight if I put all my clothes in. For context, I’m 6’ with wide skis and quite big boots!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy