Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 9 - 11 December good for low to high intermediates?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

now to wait till closer to the time to see if VT open or elsewhere on the Friday 9/12

If VT is closed for lack of snow nowhere around will be open. But you don't need to book accommodation yet and lots won't be "on the market" till later in the year anyway. Many folk are currently going into their "inter-season" time of lolling round doing nothing much until the summer season gets underway.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi everyone! Well I am on track with my husbands 50th ski holiday weekend flying to geneva on 8 december leaving on 12 december. He was thrilled with the mystery holiday gift! So where's looking good for those dates, or should a wait a while longer. Looking for somewhere not too far from airport. I think though the highest recommendations were verbier or VT but transfer time and cost are quite a challenge for a weekend. Any updated suggestions graciously received! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fens, nowhere's looking good, or bad, yet.

Way too early to get any idea on what's going on, snow-wise.

Verbier, by train, hardly a challenge in any sense ... economic nor time?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @under a new name, Verbier and VT were the options given to me earlier this year. It's just that we only going for 4 nights. I'm a blue intermediate so just checking also not too challenging for me so I can practice technique rather than terrifying myself. Have you made the verbier transfer by train. Certainly more affordable than private transfer. Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fens, I haven’t actually done that exact journey, but I have spent a lot of time on the Swiss travel system, it is extremely easy and well organised.

Verbier is fine level wise and has a reasonable chance of being open. You can’t say that about all that many places.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, thanks. Is La Clusaz or anywhere else a prospective or do I just need to hang on some more?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Fens, a. you need to hang on, probs till week before, b. I don't think Clusaz is high enough.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, just enquiring with verbier accommodation host re dates. I'm sure theughhh have gone up. There just doesnt seem to be mu h option outside verbiercar I dont fancy the long trip to VT or Val D. This is quite foreign to leave accommodation so late and worried it will be much more expensive especially verbier.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fens, it won’t. It really won’t.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, thanks, ok need to keep holding out. I do like the idea of taking the train rather than driving myself or the cost of private transfer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Clusaz is only partially open that early - details here https://www.laclusaz.com/live-pistes.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As noted above, far too early to make firm decisions. The first snowfalls often happen in October and are often gone by November.....

The Swiss train system, of legendary efficiency, would be a good bet if that fits with your plans but if you decide on a French resort the cheapest and quickest transfer could well be by renting a car. A private transfer costs the same for a weekend as for a week, whereas renting a car is only half the price! A car also greatly opens up the accommodation options - it's unlikely that ski busses will be fully operational that early and you might need to drive to the slopes. Parking shouldn't be a problem that early.

Near Geneva choice is limited. Even Flaine doesn't open till 10 December. Avoriaz might be the best bet, opening 8 December, but it would not be wise to commit to accommodation at this stage. It could well be, if the weather has turned out that way, that your nearest properly snowy place is in Italy, not a difficult drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel. More likely that you'll need to drive an extra hour or two and go to the Tarentaise, with access to easy skiing at a higher altitude.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fens, you can almost certainly find some good snow and some good skiing. You just need to wait. Till the end of November....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Thanks so much. I was researching Tarentaise last night and La Plagne as you suggested. I wasnt looking honest, but came across a deal 11/15 December slightly later. It was through club med all inclusive. Was v reasonable £1600 including transfer food drinks ski pass lessons but I'm guessing this is still a risk? I understand there is glacier skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think it was I who suggested La Plagne. I've only been there once, ages ago - can't comment on the glacier skiing. Have you not booked flights to Geneva already? That makes sense, as flight prices will rise.
snow report
If this is about having a 50th birthday long weekend celebration with some standard piste skiing then I don't see an issue with booking now. Just go to a ski area that is sure to be open like Val T or Tignes (not the only options - just obvious ones that spring to mind).

Waiting until last minute and chasing the best conditions is all very well if you are super relaxed/flexible and having good conditions is important to you. But if you are an intermediate skier and this is as much about getting away then I am not sure that is the case.
snow report
@Layne has a good point. If you are desperate to book now (and I appreciate that you are very anxious about leaving things to the last minute) that's fine, as long as it is somewhere like Val T or Tignes Val Claret (not one of the lower parts of Tignes where you will probably see some tempting offers.....).
snow conditions
@pam w, @Layne, thanks both you got it. Standard piste skiing is what we want cant believe how challenging and invigorating the blues are now 50. In my 20s I was cruising reds on my own! How??? Is La Plagne 2100 a contender as that is where the deal is located arriving on 11 December for 4 nights.
latest report
No idea about Plagne 2100 I'm afraid. Is that Club Med? You could change your thread title and ask specifically about that - somebody here is sure to know it well. But nobody sensible will give you any guarantees of snow conditions that early in the season.
snow report
@Fens, that would be Aime 2000. Known as the big ship. Some don't like the look of it. But I've stayed there and it's fine as it goes.

But you could stay anywhere in the main area - Belle Plagne, Bellecote, Soleil, Centre, Villages and they would all be as good.

I love La Plagne and Paradiski. I usually stay in Les Coches but that doesn't open until 17th. The area and villages named above opens on the 10th December.

I think you would love the skiing.
snow report
@pam w, @Layne, Yrs it is club med wouldnt normally consider but I have found such a good price with transfers all inclusive which would be so lovely just to not have to worry about driving and if doing all separately tuition probably wouldnt ne affordable. Ok thanks so ver much for all the advice. I'll start a new thread on La Plagne.
latest report
@Fens, what made you choose Geneva over innsbruck Airport?
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@Fens, what made you choose Geneva over innsbruck Airport?
at a guess- Insbruck has only a few flights from the uk- they have a narrow window of flight dates and are almost all from Gatwick
ski holidays
regards original post- we love skiing, mostly ski in chamonix and I wouldn't risk that early in cham myself. For us flights are easy- LVP-GVA and we live about 10-15 mins away. but we've never been able to find flights to Innsbruck from anywhere other than Gatwick and then only for part of the season- eg no late season flights at a reasonable cost (or even unreasonable). But- if people know of flights to Innsbruck from nearer and at more regular time- please let me know. Would love to ski there.
ski holidays
@ed123, A drive further this side to get to Gatwick could mean less of a drive that side with more open station options. Hire car with guaranteed snow tyres in Austria or Germany, Munich airport is also an option.
latest report
@Fens, I wouldn't hesitate over Club Med and their "all inclusive" approach, with lessons and equipment, should suit you very well. The Club Med instructors will also find the best snow going. Rather than start a new thread, edit the title of this one, then you won't need to explain your rather specific requirements all over again.
ski holidays
@pam w, brilliant you have got me to a T. I didnt know you can edit title will do great thanks.
snow report
On a final note with lessons learnt. I booked flights with easyjet in May and they have reduced in price. Not sure if this is usual but just thought I'd let others k ow. Also had to change dates so that was 25 per per per flight!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All just a quick update re my long awaited trip all went really well booking CM early december in La Plagne I have given a quick summary on a cm la plagne post. So it can be done early december in this resort thank you
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy