Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Is it still a nightmare, flying out Saturday afternoon Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems like it's getting a little better, most schools in the area will be back in next week, so that should mean lower passengers and less staff on leave...hopefully.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think Easter Saturday, when we fly, could be very very busy Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still not great coming back … came from Geneva last night 4 flights at the same time .. had to run to get through passport control and then waited 50 minutes for our bags … allegedly baggage handlers are being recruited currently but only offering minimum wage … no wonder they are struggling for staff
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was fine flying out on Saturday morning terminal 2. Arrived 4.40 having breakfast by 6am for 8am flight
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We flew out on the day that was on the news but with a vey early flight we missed the worst of the delays. It was fine coming back through security on Saturday and heard from friends it was fine flying out of Manchester this week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It still surprises me that businesses that laid agency and 0 hours staff off because of the pandemic, think those people will suddenly spring to help for the offer of the minimum wage, that is already below the living wage, and will not even slightly keep up with current inflation. Boris has been president (oops, I meant PM) for too long.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kevali wrote:
Is it still a nightmare, flying out Saturday afternoon Sad

Depends on the terminal you're in. T2 is ok. T1 has the issues
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To our surprise, MAN was absolutely fine for our 19.00 easyjet arrival from Munich two nights ago Very Happy Minimal border queue; very quiet arrivals hall; ski bag arrived on the conveyor after a 10 minute wait.

Worst bit out of the return was the 20 minute wait for the car park bus... rolling eyes

I posted about our outbound experience (the previous week) on the other MAN thread - 90 mins of queuing for bag drop and security, so not too horrendous. However, the state of MAN does make you forget what a proper airport experience feels like...At Munich, we waited 10 mins to drop the ski bag and there was no queue whatsoever for security. All very pleasant.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We flew back to Manchester on Monday afternoon and had a 15 minute wait to get off the plane but no major delays going through passport control. We only had hand luggage so didn't have to wait for baggage but we saw quite a few items of luggage that looked like they been abandoned piled up to the side of the conveyor belts.
On the return journey yesterday morning we arrived 3 hours before the flight was due to leave and sailed through security. Again no bags to check in but not too many lanes manned at security check. I imagine if lots of people had items in their hand luggage that needed checking by security it could quickly grind to a halt.
The woman at the gate looked highly stressed and went into a bit of a meltdown for no apparent reason so had probably had a bad morning or maybe even week.
Only one lot of steps were available to get on the plane but everybody got on in time for departure.
However, the plane was delayed by about 30 minutes due to the luggage not being loaded on time and not having a vehicle available to push the plane towards the runway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all the replies
A friend flew out of T1 this morning and said it was chaos. Think we just need to get there in plenty time and be prepared for a wait.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kevali wrote:
Thank you for all the replies
A friend flew out of T1 this morning and said it was chaos. Think we just need to get there in plenty time and be prepared for a wait.

Son flying to Amsterdam from T1 this afternoon, doesn't sound great Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep 3 hours before to be safe for T1 .. we sailed through but others have had a nightmare when flying out
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scottland - actually most of the local schools are not back until Monday 25th so still plenty of people heading away this weekend. There is a photo in the MEN today of a queue all the way back to the travelators as you come up from the bus / train station. Apparently there were serious issues with TUI but security was (apparently) OK.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A friend flew out of T1 this afternoon - hand luggage only so no check in - and security took him less than 15 mins.

Said it took him longer to get a pint at the bar snowHead
snow report
Flew into Manchester T3 yesterday. 50 minute queue to get through passport control (no e gates working). Bags were waiting for us, the conveyor belt was completely full and stopped (with more bags to come) because no one had got through passport control to pick them off the belt. Could've been worse but not great.
ski holidays
Just on a bus from the car park to T1. I'll keep you posted
snow report
Bags dropped including oversize. No queue.
...but now security...
snow report
...and through security b.
Busy but moving on all gates. That was also with the worst/longest route around the barriers as I got unlucky on all the filters

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 15-04-22 16:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@adithorp thanks for feeding back, enjoy the trip!
ski holidays
@Russeh, actually will see you at l'oxley tomorrow Cool
snow report
Figured I’d throw my two pence in here…
Flew out with TUI Saturday AM and was through check in and security in about an hour. I got to the airport at about 0400 and the queue was steadily building after that, so might have been worse for people arriving later. Not the sh*t show I was expecting though
snow report
Both A+B security at T1 were full to the entry gates today but not back any further which is what's been making the news.

It still amazes me that people were getting all the way the the front with jewelry on, pockets full and liquids still loose in their carry on. They were also the ones complaining in the queue. When I'm ElPresidente they'll be sent to the back of the line (my position has softened from "first against the wall")
snow report
@adithorp, it amazes me that anyone can have everything ready to put in the trays. You can take off/take out and carry a jacket, belt, loose change, watch, phone, laptop, zip bag of liquids whilst shuffling forward in a queue? How many hands have you got? Not to mention the shoes! On or off? No consistency so can't have them ready, even if you wanted to. Then, when you've finally dumped everything in the tray, they decide they want everything separated into 3 different trays which are going nowhere because there are already too many on the conveyer belt. And although you've put everything they've asked for on the trays, you still get stopped for some random item that you've taken abroad many times, without any bother. In my case, this year, I had to unpack my rucksack to show them a magnifying make-up mirror because "it has a metal stand which shows up on the scanner and we didn't know what it was". rolling eyes

I'm really not at my best at 5.00am! Little Angel
latest report
We arrived at T1 at 4.20 this morning for our 7.05 flight (to GVA). We had hand luggage only and took 50 minutes to get through security. The Easyjet check in queues were quite substantial so we were happy to miss them.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
We arrived at T1 at 4.20 this morning for our 7.05 flight (to GVA). We had hand luggage only and took 50 minutes to get through security. The Easyjet check in queues were quite substantial so we were happy to miss them.

We were pretty much same time. Just a bit over an hour from arrival through security. Busy but well organised.

Now on plane. snowHead
snow report
T2 this morning, zero queue for check in and security, straight through. Plane took off on time, landed early, disembarked straight away…

Ridiculous, Geneva review pending.

Update: This is silly, bags appeared fast and my was like 4th on. Lardy bus guaranteed to break down now.
latest report
Just made it through bag drop and security at T1 in about 40 mins, for 12:25 Easyjet flight - despite the passengers in front of me at both EJ bag drop and outsize baggage having 'issues' with their bags.

I had speedy bag drop and priority security ticket. A bit of a queue for EJ bag drop for those with standard tickets, but no queues in the normal security lanes and only 3 queuing for outsized baggage.

It is quieter at the airport with less queuing than when I flew out at the beginning of March.

Not worth arriving earlier than 3 hours before EJ flights, as they won't let you drop your bags any earlier than that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From car park / through security 1hr
Arrived before bag drop off opened but they just opened flight and off we went.
Smile
snow report
No queue for Ryanair check in, then 10-15 min queue at security B. Total time from entry to airside less than 30 minutes. Security was quiet but still chaotic - loads of people waiting to have their bags searched. Looked like it was still a significant delay if that happened.
Overall pretty quiet at 09:00 on Easter Sunday though.
ski holidays
Here we go again... rolling eyes

Flying MAN - MUC at 13.25 today for a final fling on Austrian glaciers. A friend of a friend reported that check in/bag drop and security were a nightmare last Friday Confused And we've have had an email from easyjet advising that we should arrive 3 hrs before the flight.

Hmm....Watch this space....
snow report
We flew back from Basle into Manchester after a last minute trip to get a couple of days skiing in at Ischgl and to see the Top of the Mountain concert on Saturday. We arrived at Terminal 1 and there was quite a big queue at passport control but we were processed quickly. Our baggage was on the carousel and within Forty minutes from touching down we were loading our bags into the car in the multi storey. We've done six trips since December through Liverpool and Manchester and this most recent experience wasn't to bad to be honest. Roll on December when hopefully we can start again providing WW3 hasn't started. Puzzled
latest report
Also checking in at Manchester last Wednesday wasn't to bad either. We allowed 3 hours but on this occasion we had time for a coffee and then someone suggested a beer and as we're easily led we said why not. We had chance to buy a bottle of wine for the train journey down to Landeck. The flight was on time also.
snow report
After arriving at MAN just over 3 hrs before today's 13.25 flight to Munich, we had to queue before we were even allowed to join the easyjet bag drop queue.

Then directed downstairs to Security B - which had a never ending, and very slow-moving, queue. It was quite Disney-like - snaking round corridors with seemingly no end in sight. Only three scanners on when we finally reached the front.

1 hour 55 mins from arriving at the airport to dropping the ski bag and clearing security.

Now on board - with no take off slot available for an hour. All in all, a rather miserable experience today Confused
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, did you have security fast track? I’ve been sent down to B the last couple of times but fast track was reasonably speedy.
latest report
Just crossing fingers for our trip through the airport tomorrow morning. Our last couple of trips have been via Liverpool, much more civilised (though they could do with more coffee-making capacity air side).
snow report
Quote:
did you have security fast track? I’ve been sent down to B the last couple of times but fast track was reasonably speedy.
No Confused ....as (wrongly) assumed that - given the well publicised MAN horror stories - so many people would be buying fast track that it would mean long waits for that too Laughing

I live and learn!

Laugh of the day was staff saying that today was relatively quiet Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:
Did you have security fast track? I’ve been sent down to B the last couple of times but fast track was reasonably speedy.
Breaking news: MAN has now axed security fast track rolling eyes
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/manchester-airport-apologise-axe-fast-23863828.amp
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, still honouring it if you have it booked - which we have for our trips in June, July and August. I’d imagine it’ll be sorted by September!

Edit: And actually you can still book for early June so I think this must be a very temporary thing!
ski holidays
Noted andy from embsay. After two shockers in terms of our April and May MAN departures, we've thankfully got nothing booked following our current Austria trip. I wouldn't be looking forward to another MAN queuing experience anytime soon.

I hope all goes OK with your forthcoming trips.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy