Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mallorca 312

Poster: A snowHead
@gixxerniknik, I think you carry your fuel for the day, but not breakfast, dinner and the following day’s fuel. That’s the same for lots of events.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski to the sea at Mt Baker

http://youtube.com/v/RfzL7WYQv80

known for having the worst cross country skiers... in the world

http://youtube.com/v/hNeg_2SQNsc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain of Hell, like the Megavalanche but with a reasonable start section

http://youtube.com/v/J_IFoSKTl1Y
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof,best bit of the mega is the start !! done it twice and one year had a 1000m white descent before the snow disappeared , was awesome fun , the rocky overtakes that come next are the bit to worry about
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dabber wrote:
@davidof,best bit of the mega is the start !! done it twice and one year had a 1000m white descent before the snow disappeared , was awesome fun , the rocky overtakes that come next are the bit to worry about

Looks really good from coverage I've seen.

Which bike did you use ? are the tires restricted or is everyone on rubber spikes ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy from embsay wrote:
@BobinCH, I haven't - lots of my mates have and rave about it. It used to go right round the island following the coast but they now go along the Tramantura then back along the plain and do a loop down the east coast. The last feed stop apparently involves paella and beer...

Reservations don’t open until October but have booked an airbnb in anticipation. Thanks for the heads up!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
I've done the Eroica a couple of times, 220km on gravel roads on an old bike.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13071633/tr-2016-leroica-in-gaiole-myths-and-realities

http://youtube.com/v/afTztbS7nUY

and 2017

http://youtube.com/v/Z7nZhXNoTks

I would go back but what with Covid etc it has not been possible.

Also added this to the list. A mate did the Sion event last year and enjoyed it. Tuscany is a wonderful place to ride in October!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:

Also added this to the list. A mate did the Sion event last year and enjoyed it. Tuscany is a wonderful place to ride in October!

you will probably find it a bit easier than the Maratona event you did as although there is a lot of climbing there are fewer long sustained climbs

also the Berg Konig near you: https://blogs.letemps.ch/jerome-bailly/2017/09/26/bergkonig-chic-et-velo-vintage-a-gstaad/ - article by my ex-colleague Jerome Bailly who you may know. His brother runs the Lyon-Canton (yes that Canton, in China) e-bike race.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Marathon du Medoc. 23 wine-tasting stops en-route. A fantastic day out - no expectation to run fast (or much at all). If you run one marathon this should be it...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mallorca 312 on Saturday. Only been on the bike 5 times this year - whoops. Hopefully the skiing helps snowHead

Anyone else doing it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good luck
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, you obviously missed my comment(s) in the road bike thread Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not in Europe but im signed up for the silk road mountain race this summer. 2 weeks to cycle (and plenty of hike a bike) 1800km with 30500m climbing through the kyrgyzstan mountains. Definitely something a bit different.

In UK Bob Graham round is the one that tempts me although not really an "event".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boarder2020, good luck, that looks both beautiful and horrendous Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:

Thanks. I've spent quite a bit of time out there so am aware how beautiful it is. Definitely going to be some suffering!
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Not in Europe but im signed up for the silk road mountain race this summer. 2 weeks to cycle (and plenty of hike a bike) 1800km with 30500m climbing through the kyrgyzstan mountains. Definitely something a bit different.

In UK Bob Graham round is the one that tempts me although not really an "event".

If you want a warm up for the Bob Graham, you could have a go at “The Old Crown Round” either as a race event, or an event at your own time of choice, or as a walk. https://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races/35eceb3d-987e-4a50-87f6-331f4f9b6f1e
When the pub organises it they sometimes get a barrel of beer to each relevant summit - so a barrel of “Skiddaw” at the top of Skiddaw, a barrel of “High Pike” to the top of High Pike and so on. Maybe that part isn’t for the serious runners though
snow report
Pierra Creta is a ski mountaineering race held in the mountains of Crete
https://pierracreta.gr/en/
snow report
Arno wrote:
+1. I had to have a lie-down just reading that!
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:

That is nuts Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@boarder2020, I will probably be dot watching from the comfort of my office
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Mallorca 312 on Saturday. Only been on the bike 5 times this year - whoops. Hopefully the skiing helps snowHead

Anyone else doing it?

Good luck. I've got a club mate riding but last time I spoke to him, he was considering one of the shorter routes as he hadn't managed enough training. Another friend rode last year, got lost and added an extra 50km to the route. Nobody who knows him was surprised rolling eyes

Meanwhile another club member is training for the Transcontinental. Madness!

https://www.transcontinental.cc/
latest report
adithorp wrote:

Good luck. I've got a club mate riding but last time I spoke to him, he was considering one of the shorter routes as he hadn't managed enough training.

Thanks! Unfortunately I’m in the same boat as your mate but still looking forward to some sunny riding
snow report
@JHS, I did the Old Crown Round a couple of times years ago, before it became a big thing. First time solo, great fun, then with the son-in-law, he had done a couple of half marathons by then but was nowhere near tough enough. His legs were collapsing underneath him on the descent from Blencathra, so I abandoned him at the phone box at Mungrisedale and finished on my own. He did manage to phone others in our party and get rescued - they found him collapsed on the floor of the photo box.
He did get revenge though, ten years after I had last raced a mountain bike he signed me up for a 40 mile enduro race in deep Thetford Forest winter mud - almost killed me (especially as he had told me it was 32 miles!), but at least I finished.
latest report
Majorca is simply stunning to cycle in, great roads too, not sure about 312kms of them though! Good luck Bob.

I think I watched a youtube documentary on that silk road race, with a crazy French postman / courier who won it. Was soul achingly beautiful made me want to get out there. There are some great escapist bike packing videos online.

Crete in Winter is also on the list. Go to Greece most years but have never been when its anything other than brown and bone dry.
snow report
Quote:

I think I watched a youtube documentary on that silk road race, with a crazy French postman / courier who won it. Was soul achingly beautiful made me want to get out there.

Sofiane Sehili. Think he's a professional ultra endurance athlete now. Set the record for the tour divide - 2700miles in less than 15 days Shocked Seems to be able to function on basically no sleep.

Kyrgyzstan is a beautiful place if you love outdoors. Country is 90%+ mountains, including a few 7000m peaks. So sparsely populated and undeveloped. Other than the most famous hikes (e.g. ala Kol) there's no tourists, just the odd yurt of friendly locals welcoming you in for tea and fermented horse milk (definitely an acquired taste!). Also ridiculously cheap - nice homestay with big breakfast around £10-15, nice restaurant meal less than £5, vodka £2 per litre Toofy Grin

I do some hiking guiding out there in the summers, and have done a bit of skiing out there in the winters (mostly touring but there is a couple of little resorts with lifts). So if anyone wants to head out that way feel free to pm me and can give you all the info you need.

Actually looking for partners to ski Corona peak (unfortunate pre virus name, although even worse for the company who's drinking water is named after the mountain!) in ala Archa national park in march or early April if anyone is interested. https://peakvisor.com/photo/Kyrgyzstan-Korona-Peak.jpg

Long term plan is to run trail running camps out there. There's a beautiful village at 2100m with routes of all kinds of distances up to 3500m that would be the perfect base.
snow conditions
Does it need to be a formal event? Both the following are absolute classic IADs of their type, but you just go and do them:

Black Cuilin Ridge on Skye
West Highland Way by bike

If you're into rock climbing then soloing 100 routes on gritstone is a good one, and significantly easier than the above.

In terms if events, Fred Whitton is a proper classic.
snow conditions
Early start with alarm set for 4:50 hoping to get towards the front for the 6:30 start. Fortunately my hotel was right by the checkpoint so joined into the queue towards the front

The best part of 8000 people lining up for the race. The gun went off about 15 mins late at 6:45 and then we waited a few more minutes for the VIP lanes to clear

The race started as the sun came up and the first 20km is a leisurely flat section to Pollença

After Pollenca the road kicks up on the first climb to Col de Femenia

Not quite the empty roads from the reccy last October

Fab scenery in the Tramuntana mountains

Dodged the first drinks stop as it looked a bit busy

http://youtube.com/v/T-uLuiNic-U

Onwards and upwards to the highest point of the race at the Puig Major and then the wonderful fast descent to Soller

Then up the other side to Deia and the fabulous scenery of the North-West coast

Lucky the 2nd food stop was quiet Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/vmGAPtIngXQ

Ditched the pre-race plan to do the 167km route, in a moment of adrenaline fueled madness and turned right for the 225km route. The stunning scenery continued down to Andratx

After the 100km mark the sun was high in the sky, the temps heated up and I started to suffer

The missus sent a sympathetic motivation message

From 150km to the final food stop at 190km was pretty dire. My water ran out, I couldn’t stomach any more gels and felt like I was having a caffeine overdose. Fortunately I got my hands on the final can of lemon Fanta at the Alaro corner shop which got me to the last food stop. Delighted to get hold of some real food

It was a final horrible 100m climb to the last Col and pure joy to see the sign. Even better just after the summit a couple of local guys cruised past and I hugged their tails for the final 35km descent to the line. Relief at the finish!

Reckon I deserved this after over 10 hours on the bike Very Happy

The longest I’ve ever spent on a bike!

Fantastic event and will be tempted to have a crack at the full 312 with a bit more training under the belt! I think that first 100km is the most beautiful stretch of any ride I’ve done.
snow report
Holy cow!
I had.no idea you were doing this and the Bec in the same week...
I think you need at least 1 day of Milsy inspired lolling by the pool before you swim the channel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great write up and epic effort @BobinCH!
latest report
Excellent, Mallorca looks really pleasant.
snow report
@BobinCH, big day out, well done!
snow report
I did the Passportes du Soleil a good few years back, great fun lift assisted mountain bike tour in a day.

Id rather take my chances at the MdS @gixxerniknik than the Megavalanche, it’s total carnage at the top and definitely a young riders game, not one for my aging bones.

Last year I did the Calder Divide challenge on my gravel bike, very nice low key two day event and signed up for it again this year.
snow report
Wow! Well done!
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Holy cow!
I had.no idea you were doing this and the Bec in the same week...
I think you need at least 1 day of Milsy inspired lolling by the pool before you swim the channel

Probably not the greatest preparation but when the Bec is in condition you’ve got to go snowHead
snow report
Great ride Bobin. Know a few who have done the full 312, and a couple who have done the original route round the island.
It's a great place to ride and the coast road is stunning.

Nice jersey btw (I have the orange version!)

Another one for you is the Route des Grandes Alpes, from Thonon les Baines to Nice / Antibes.
Or there's Raid Pyrenean - 96 hours to get from Med to Atlandtic (or vice versa).
There's also a Geneva to Venice, traversing the Alps west to east.

All the Spring Classics have fondos - so Flanders, Paris-Roubaix etc
I've done 3 Etapes du Tour.

There also the Tour du Mont Blanc which is something like 300 kms and 8,000m elevation IIRC.

Simply there are loads and loads of cycling events and challenges in and around th Alps.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Excellent, Mallorca looks really pleasant.

It has its good days, wink
ski holidays
JDL65 wrote:
Great ride Bobin. Know a few who have done the full 312, and a couple who have done the original route round the island.
It's a great place to ride and the coast road is stunning.

Nice jersey btw (I have the orange version!)

Another one for you is the Route des Grandes Alpes, from Thonon les Baines to Nice / Antibes.
Or there's Raid Pyrenean - 96 hours to get from Med to Atlandtic (or vice versa).
There's also a Geneva to Venice, traversing the Alps west to east.

All the Spring Classics have fondos - so Flanders, Paris-Roubaix etc
I've done 3 Etapes du Tour.

There also the Tour du Mont Blanc which is something like 300 kms and 8,000m elevation IIRC.

Simply there are loads and loads of cycling events and challenges in and around th Alps.

Thanks for those ideas. Cyclotour du Lac Léman and Tour des Stations on the list for this year. Tempted to return to Mallorca next year if it doesn’t clash with the Patrouille des Glaciers. Mallorca is a fabulous place to ride!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy