Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to buy new skies after 10 years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, next year (or even this year, if I can find it) I will buy new skis. The thing is,
that this year I returned to the skiing after a 10-year hiatus and I have no idea what to buy. This year I borrowed skis 10 times, but unfortunately I did not pay attention to the characteristics or I didn't keep a record of which ones suit me better.
I skied for 10 years, 20-30 times a season. I'm self-taught with a couple of instructions, so my technique probably isn't impressive, but I'm still pretty experienced. I mostly skied on harder (black and red) tracks, I ski faster than most, I like higher speeds and I like to make fewer turns, so I need skis that are fast and aggressive. I am also looking for something that is meant for groomed slopes, but that you can ski with it even after 6 hours, when the slopes are already in really bad conditions and there are piles of snow on the piste. I rarely ski on ungroomed pistes, but maybe here and there I turn off on a short forest path or ski a meter or so off-piste.
I have no idea what to look for. All mountain? racing probably not? Can someone direct me a bit? All I know is that I'm looking for skis about my size in terms of length and they need to be fast. Maybe not exactly expert level, but I have a lot of experience and I am demanding. It's nice that the tracks are suitable and arranged in the morning and also in the afternoon, when the tracks are sometimes disastrous. Howere, i am not expert level and im not looking for competition skiis.

Do these two skis correspond to the description or am I looking for the wrong one?

https://www.extremevital.com/sl/smuci/smuci-nordica-spitfire-dc-68-pro-plus-vezi-xcell-12-fdt-p-44001.html

https://www.snow-online.com/ski/voelkl-deacon-72-black-2023.htmlp
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@IceBlue, I'd go see a quality ski retailer in resort with loads of stock and try some demo skis from a shortlist they will likely provide for a day or 2, then do a deal rather than via a ski forum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends where you are but if in the UK a demo at a snowdome would help you. Otherwise I'd say the Deacon 72 is a solid bet for what you've described, a bit broader focused than the more pistey Spitfire.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies!
Another questions.
Are on piste skies good for skiing on pistes that are well groomed in morning hours, but tend to get in bad shape in the afternoon when there are a lot of skiers?
Cause i dont know if i should go for on piste or all round...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@IceBlue,
I am no expert on different skis but if the pistes have softened in the sun and are chopped up they will often be a bit easier on a slightly broader all mountain ski but very hard pistes in the morning will be a lot easier on a narrower piste ski.
Personally if I was sticking to piste I would take the latter recognising it would make the softer piste slightly more difficult, but it's a compromise and which compromise you make is up to you, there isn't a correct answer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all replies, it's been helpful. It's seems it's not easy to find appropriate skies and that i will have to spend more time searching.
One more question: can you buy too advanced skies, meaning skiis over your level? what can happen if you do this?
The thing is, i don't know how good i am. I don't know if i have correct tehnique, i just ski the way i it suits me.
What i do know though is that i like red/black slopes (not the hardest possible black though), that i ski quite fast and that i do feel in control most of the time. I skied a lot in the past, never injured myself and always felt confident.
Does that make me intermediate? advanced? are the skies i mentioned i am looking for good for someone with this description?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look on skiessentials.com, the ski reviews on there are great, happy hunting,
Andy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The wheel hasn't changed in 10 years! A ski is the right length for you, given certain parameters, they're as wide as or narrow as the environment you choose to use them in. Radius is helpful, however, theoretical, and the should be made of wood if possible. Don't let the artwork, team choice or marketing fool you!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Restless native, Ski Essentials is indeed the most helpful, however understand that they test skis with rental bindings, the subtle differences they discribe are more likely to be subject to the effects of different bindings rather than the actual characteristics of the unmounted skis, as described by the wonderful engineers talking to the marketing departments. Goodluck!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IceBlue wrote:
This year I borrowed skis 10 times, but unfortunately I did not pay attention to the characteristics or I didn't keep a record of which ones suit me better.

If you can’t remember which one suit you better or worse, sounds like you’re just not very sensitive to skis. Some people are like that. I’m one such. I can tell the difference different skis work. But I don’t have a very strong preference on that. I simply adapt my skiing to make the ski work on the condition at hand.

Given you are able to ski different skis, it doesn’t sound like you’ll have trouble with skis “too advance” for you, as long as you’re not buying race specific skis.

Find a pair with description matching how you ski and just buy it. You’ll probably be quite happy with it.

On the other hand, if you have the time, testing skis can be fun. Try them and make notes of them, you may find you like one model better than the rest. Then you can say you definitely bought the “right” skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That makes sense. Or all the skis were a bit too low for my level and i didnt notice difference.
Today i asked for something a bit faster and rented Head Shape SX R, and i noticed i had more control and stability at higher speeds. I was also more tired after 5 hours of skiing.
Despite that, i would prefer something a bit faster, but definitely not something for expert level.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always prefer blue skies.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy