Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm in a "should I buy skis" dilemma... lots of questions.

Poster: A snowHead
I love skiing, but haven't gone often enough in the past 7-8 years. After my recent trip, first since a long weekend early 2020, having rediscovered the pure joy and elation skiing gives me, I have sworn to myself to try to begin going twice a season. I'll sacrifice a summer holiday for it. I can still lounge on the beach with mangled knees in 30 years.

Anyway, for my recent trip I splurged on my first pair of boots since childhood skiing, as I didn't fancy stepping into another pair of super-flexy, smelly, misfit rental boots. They weren't cheap, but I saw them as a reasonable investment that would hopefully reward me for 6-8 years, if well looked after. Thankfully skiing in them was a real pleasure, it felt great to have something stiff and responsive around my feet. Inevitably the boots whet my appetite, and now I'm longing for the feeling of skiing on my own skis, too, instead of playing the rental shop lottery.

While I would consider myself an expert on the slopes, I am pretty clueless when it comes to equipment, so I have some questions (which have definitely been asked before....):

Q1) When is the best time to buy skis, hoping to land a good deal? Now, later in the summer?

Q2) Where is the best place to buy skis? Would it be best to head into a physical shop? I got my boots at Ellis Brigham and although the service was excellent, their stock range was limited and the price was comparatively high. OK for ski boots, I thought, as they need to be fitted, but are skis better bought online? Then, there appear to be lots of EU-based warehouse stores (e.g. glisshop, ekosport); good range and prices, but I'm slightly worried about import charges and receiving damaged equipment in the post. Or alternatively, do people buy their skis in the resort before/during a trip? Lastly, I will be in the EU over summer and could head into a sports superstore there?

Q3) Do you ever demo skis before buying, or do you buy skis happy-go-lucky?

Q4) Any advice on buying used skis? Good idea/bad idea, anything to look out for? I wouldn't consider skis from pre ~2016/17, probably.

Q5) The big one... what type of ski? I grew up carving and watching racing, so most of my skiing is definitely on-piste, but I haven't been too lucky with fresh snow the last few trips. So, I would definitely like something that will allow me to carve fast and aggressively, but it should also cut through fresh snow, slush and allow an occasional venture off-piste or down a mogul pitch. I have never skied on an all-mountain ski, but I'm not sure I can imagine carving well on some of them. I do really like the look and sound of this Nordica, or perhaps the 80 version: https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/men/skis/on-piste/spitfire/dobermann-spitfire-76-rb-fdt . What are some of the key technical specs to take into consideration?

Q6) Ultimately, for somebody who doesn't have a ton of disposable income but plans to ski 1-2 weeks a season, are skis a sensible investment? While I could convince myself the boots were, I'm not so sure about skis... I'm thinking they will go out of date quicker, I may not enjoy skiing on them, I may damage them, I will have to transport them (though I prefer train to plane), I will still have to pay for a regular service...

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Curious to hear some sensible opinions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@samr96,
Quote:

While I would consider myself a decent skier on the slopes*

FIFY

This year is odd. Stocks are weird. Lots of the decent stuff was sold early in the year or last year (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic).

If you can, the best option is to befriend a good shop in a decent area - e.g. as example Concept Pro in Chamonix and trial a few pairs. Concept is somewhat free-ride/off piste oriented so may not be exactly what you are looking for.

* I made that mistake myself a million years ago, to have it corrected by an actual trainer of instructors type expert wink

I would not buy 2nd hand except exotic full bore race kit that is +/- unused.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1/ End of season is probably best since you can try them out before you buy, but you may get a chance to try before buying in somewhere such as Tignes.
2/ Almost certainly in the resort where you can try them before buying
3/ I cannot imagine not testing skis before buying them.
4/ Yes buy used skis. Look at the edges to see if there is sufficient meat on them. Look very carefully that the skis are "true" and that there is no delamination. Used skis are about 1/4 the price of new ones.
5/ Well try before buying. I have some all mountain skis that are actually very good carving on piste. For variuos reasons I would not reccomend twin tip skis.
6/ My current skis have about 120 days on them and still ski well. They were expensive at over £500 - so about £4 per day. I have paid for ski transport once when going to Japan and paid 25€ to get them serviced once. Usually, I service them myself every 10 days or so.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name,

Thx for the reply. Befriending a local shop sounds like more of a long-term mission to me, certainly a challenge on a week-long holiday. Or would you suggest e.g. taking out different pairs of demo skis on day 1, 2 and buying on day 3? Is demoing usually free of charge, if followed by a purchase?

*Expert for a leisure skier, perhaps... Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Is demoing usually free of charge, if followed by a purchase?

Only one free day is allowed, otherwise you pay the daily rental rate.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE,

Thanks John, sounds like demoing is the way to go to make it a worthwhile investment.

Quote:

End of season is probably best since you can try them out before you buy

with this, do you refer to manufacturers setting up in bigger resorts for a few days, letting you test their latest gear? I've seen the gazebos before.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not sure that, in your case, skis are are a sensible investment when you take into account depreciation, servicing and lugging them about. Also, the type of ski you describe is exactly what most hire shops have in spades and replace regularly, so if you have concerns about the age of the skis, you should hire but upgrade to a better package than the base level. It also means that if you don't like the skis, you can take them back and get something different.

Demo days happen all over the Alps on a regular basis (corona-times excepted). Look out for one in resort while you're there, or find a large event in advance and book your trip around it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
samr96 wrote:

Q1) When is the best time to buy skis, hoping to land a good deal? Now, later in the summer?

Probably end of season.

Q2) Where is the best place to buy skis? Would it be best to head into a physical shop? I got my boots at Ellis Brigham and although the service was excellent, their stock range was limited and the price was comparatively high. OK for ski boots, I thought, as they need to be fitted, but are skis better bought online? Then, there appear to be lots of EU-based warehouse stores (e.g. glisshop, ekosport); good range and prices, but I'm slightly worried about import charges and receiving damaged equipment in the post. Or alternatively, do people buy their skis in the resort before/during a trip? Lastly, I will be in the EU over summer and could head into a sports superstore there?

If you have a good shop nearby, it can pay to support them and get their advice. Our localish shops have closed as they couldn't compete with online prices. I have used Glisshop on several occasions, getting over 60% off for previous seasons skis. Since Brexit, their delivery charges include everything. Buying in resort during the season may not get you much discount - but allows you to try skis and then generally have the hire fee waived if you buy

I have nearly always done a lot of research and bought blind....but it's less risky to try if you can. For me, this has always worked out....except when I got a recommendation from the SCGB over the phone in the early 80s

Q4) Any advice on buying used skis? Good idea/bad idea, anything to look out for? I wouldn't consider skis from pre ~2016/17, probably.

I have never bought used and am unlikely to do so, as I'd rather get a good discount on a new ski

Q5) The big one... what type of ski? I grew up carving and watching racing, so most of my skiing is definitely on-piste, but I haven't been too lucky with fresh snow the last few trips. So, I would definitely like something that will allow me to carve fast and aggressively, but it should also cut through fresh snow, slush and allow an occasional venture off-piste or down a mogul pitch. I have never skied on an all-mountain ski, but I'm not sure I can imagine carving well on some of them. I do really like the look and sound of this Nordica, or perhaps the 80 version: https://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/en/men/skis/on-piste/spitfire/dobermann-spitfire-76-rb-fdt . What are some of the key technical specs to take into consideration?

This is a question only you can answer - and it depends where you spend most of your time and what you want to try in the future.

68-74 Piste ski, if this is where you spend all your time and have no wish to experiment elsewhere

82-86 AM ski, if you want something that carves well, but has a little more flexibility re different snow conditions and is probably easier in the Bumps

88-93 AM Ski, if you are prepared to sacrifice edge to edge quickness and On Piste performance, in return for much better Off Piste performance

Q6) Ultimately, for somebody who doesn't have a ton of disposable income but plans to ski 1-2 weeks a season, are skis a sensible investment? While I could convince myself the boots were, I'm not so sure about skis... I'm thinking they will go out of date quicker, I may not enjoy skiing on them, I may damage them, I will have to transport them (though I prefer train to plane), I will still have to pay for a regular service...

I now ski 1 week per year and own my own skis - probably because I've owned skis since before Ski Carriage charges were introduced. I put up with the extra hassle and cost to be on Skis I really like. All the downsides you listed apply

Unless you ski on multiple trips, drive to the Alps and do your own servicing - then one doesn't buy skis to save money. You buy skis to have consistency and always be on something you know you really like. Not queuing to hire is also a blessing.

What construction/type/length of ski you buy depends on Weight/Ability/Aggressiveness/Turn Shape preference/Where you ski/Whether you like Playful or Damp skis.

See above for answers.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 29-04-22 11:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@samr96, got to say, I am rather with @Scarlet & @Old Fartbag on the whole topic. I spent weeks/years renting back in the days when I skied rather a lot based out of the UK. And skis were going thru that awkward period.

So if you are happy with your boots, very excellent indeed. Maybe not buy skis.

But ask on here for rental shop recommendations?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, I reluctantly agree, I think @Old Fartbag and @Scarlet have talked the sense into me I was looking for, thanks. Rental shop recommendations is a good idea, so it will be less like playing the lottery and more like dealing with attentive experts that try to match you with the best possible ski. Assuming that exists...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Q1) When is the best time to buy skis, hoping to land a good deal?

As elsewhere, end of season BUT stocks/range will be lower and it might be time consuming finding that stockist who has just what you want. Personally speaking, I’d hire rather than risk purchasing what might turn out to be dud deal, particularly if you don’t know what you want. If you do, then budget permitting buying at the start of the new season would mean you had the latest model and hence a longer time to obsolescence – unless you wear the edge’s away first..

Presumably you could work out the full cost (import charges etc) before buying. I bought mine from a website and they were shipped from a shop in Alpe d’ Huez and arrived in perfect condition. If they hadn’t, a photo would have been taken and an instruction sent to Visa (I got them on credit card) to withhold/claim back the payment. Also, I’ve known two friends buy in resort after liking their hired skis – worked fine. Note though this was by chance..they didn’t ask for a particular brand/ski – they just liked what they were skiing on so much they bought them.

I demo’d demo’d demo’d. This allowed me to identify which brand/make suited me best in general and then bought skis based on the brand/make that suited me best. I took punt and bought the then latest model (advanced piste) unseen. It wasn’t a problem. The differences are greatest between brands rather than within brands I think (unless manufacturer does some major redesign). Note that demoing isn’t always straightforward if you don’t/can't go to big events. I found it almost impossible to get exact skis I wanted and in many cases just ended up trying different skis based on what the shop gave me. This turned out to be ok though..meant I got a feel for which brands/makes I didn’t like. It depends what you want from your demo.

None.

Can’t advise on the technical specs issue butI had similar dilemma. Someone advised me to be realistic..how much time do I normally spend off piste on an average trip and is it my skis (rather than lack of snow) that are holding me back from going off piste. Or am I happy most of the time on piste with the odd foray off piste. There is probably some sort of rule-of-thumb ratio e.g. 80 (on)/20 (off) that might serve as guide. I went with that advice and bought a good piste ski, which for me has been ok off piste. If it came to pass I wanted to spend more time off piste I’d hire an AM ski but it hasn’t happened so far. But if you are leaning to off-piste them demoing a few would obviously make sense..and you could see if what you lose on the calving front is worth it to you.

Boots certainly are. As noted, your own skis do not save money, you buy them for other reasons. I certainly haven’t regretted buying mine (but I had some additional physical problems that were exacerbated by some hire skis that made it even more worthwhile) and will do so again. However, hired skis are much better than they used to be (so I hear – many of my friends who do 1-3 trips a year who used to have their own skis just don’t bother now) and less costly in the long run.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@samr96, Don't let me put you off buying skis, if that is what you want to do. I simply tried to lay out the arguments - of which Cost is but one - so you could weigh them up and decide what is more important to you.

Most on here go skiing because they are addicted to it....and using skis that you know you like, enhances that, so it could be worth the extra.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It seems to have little financial sense to fly with your own skis (after you factor in transport and maintenance costs), plus the lack of flexibility.

I have recently been through the same thought process, as it was the first time I was driving to the snow rather than flying (and I had had my own boots for the fitting reasons for some years).

I just bought skis that seemed good on ebay (paid £150 for the skis that were 4-5 times more expensive when new - and really love them).

We bought the skis for my wife in the ski shop in France - those were new - and they were 'discounted' - but those discounts seem to be perennial.

For both skis I read online reviews and compared the prices to make sure people were happy about them, and the price was good.

I had tried to find an 'end of season' bargain in ski shops, but I don't think such thing exists - these 20-30-50% "discounts" seem to be advertised in the shop windows all year round.

Some rental shops put put the old rental skis, but the prices were not particularly attractive, so if you go for the used ones, facebook or ebay are better bets, in my view.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just bought these
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/speedzone-8-ca-xp-11-gw-red-b-2020-DYNA00372.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIndqevK259wIVMIBQBh0RrA3nEAQYAyABEgJzKPD_BwE

They arrived pretty quickly and with good comms. I had to pay parcel force for the tax and custom charges but the French (?) tax was removed at time of purchase.

Whether I have done the right thing or not is another question. I've never had my own skis before and not tested these but they seem to suit me as only ski on piste. I'm a goodish intermediate and can get down most pistes just the speed, style and swearing will change from green to black. I just fancied some skis. I'm planning to go to Manchester Snowdome a few times and possibly 2 holidays a year which I will drive too so as long as they don't try and kill me they should pay for themselves and be better than rentals and give me a little consistency. I got lucky buying my boots so hopefully will do with my skis too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One underconsidered factor about your own skis beyond familiarity and picking exactly what you want is lack of worry - you hit a rock or ding an edge - no worrying about what the rental shop will say, easy to shrug off with a tools not jewels attitude - glop some ptex or epoxy in later (admittedly looking at the bases of my skis compared to what some on the EOSB were showing to @spderjon as "damage" I maybe on the extreme tool end of the spectrum rolling eyes )
ski holidays
I bought my own skis in 2014 and have never regretted it. It's been well worth it to have consistency and not to have to deal with hire shops. The sole length of my boots is quite short compared with my weight, and I found hire shops had limited (if any) suitable skis where the bindings could be adjusted small enough. I now service my own skis, which means I know when and how well they were last serviced.

Over the years, I've skied with people who've been hired poorly serviced skis and on one case completely unskiable. I now service my own skis, which means I know when and how well they were serviced.

I've never really found transporting them to be any hassle or significant expense. If you pick your airline carefully or travel by train there's no additional cost. I carried them to Val Thorens and back on trains and buses for the EoSB without any trouble or additional cost. On package holidays with charter flights I've had to pay extra, but that cost has been well below the price of hiring equivalent skis.

They're also very pretty sitting in the corner of my lounge waiting to be serviced snowHead
ski holidays
I'm glad you are getting some positive views for owning....as there are good reasons for doing so.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:

I've never really found transporting them to be any hassle or significant expense. If you pick your airline carefully or travel by train there's no additional cost. I carried them to Val Thorens and back on trains and buses for the EoSB without any trouble or additional cost. On package holidays with charter flights I've had to pay extra, but that cost has been well below the price of hiring equivalent skis.

They're also very pretty sitting in the corner of my lounge waiting to be serviced snowHead

This. Its not too bad travelling with them and if you squeeze a few pairs into a ski bag then it defrays the cost if you do have to pay for ski bag as luggage (never been checked for one pair only). As does buying second hand, let someone else take the big hit on purchase price depreciation and snap them up when they have to have the latest and greatest.

You get what you know and you know what you are getting. No schlepping to the rental shop (as we also have boots) to see what they have.

But now ours are also sitting in the corner waiting to be taken to get serviced!
snow report
Thanks all for a balanced discussion. I also agree that travelling with skis would be the least of my worries, as it is I'm trying to take more trains than planes.

Quote:

Most on here go skiing because they are addicted to it....and using skis that you know you like, enhances that, so it could be worth the extra.

Yes, this is really why I'm considering owning skis. Mind you, if I rent high quality skis for 1.5-2 weeks per winter, on average, it will probably cost me ~£150 annually. In 3-4 years, that's a good quality pair of skis (without the associated maintenance costs).

My thoughts are: either spend relatively little money on a pair of used skis, if a good deal crops up, or keep renting and hold back for an opportunity to test, test, test, to make an educated decision on a new pair, in resort. I'm more reluctant to make an impulse purchase of new skis from online retailers, I think that's probably off the cards. Maybe something I might do in the future, once I have a better idea of what kind of skis, brands I enjoy skiing on.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I maybe on the extreme tool end of the spectrum rolling eyes )

I would agree that you're at the extreme tool end of the spectrum Laughing

No point buying skis to save money, by the time you factor in carriage* and servicing it doesn't really end up cheaper. It does give you the chance to know what you're skiing and ski the type of thing you want, but if you're mostly bashing around pistes and don't want something silly stiff (like cheater race skis or the like) then I'd have though you'd be able to mostly get what you want from rental stores. I'd advise sticking to rental skis and trying a few options to work out what suits you best before making any kind of purchase**.

*slightly reduced if you're driving, but flying with skis usually gets expensive because you end up having to pay for extra baggage, especially if you end up tied to EJ flights.

**Note: I may not have followed this sage advice myself Embarassed
snow conditions
I first wrote these answers but realised they'd be no help at all...
Q1) when they no longer match your jacket/sallys/underwear.
Q2) A ski shop.
Q3) Depends.
Q4) Don't. It's a mine field.
Q5) Ah now, that is the question. A one ski quiver? We all start out wanting the perfect ski for every condition, but I bet we all end up with multiple planks. The guitar players have an anacronym...GAS, which stands for guitar acquisition syndrome, I bet there's an equivalent for skiers!
Q6) what you need to ask yourself is...Is skiing a sensible pastime for someone who doesn't have a ton of disposable?

but really,...

Q1) when you get fed up with the hire shop gamble and have realised that buying ones own skis is more on a practical, emotional level than a monetary one.
Q2) A ski shop. I've bought all mine online either on fleabay (don't) or from a geezer on a ski forum (here...twice and both times have got a really good pair of planks) or online from a ski shop (Ekosport, highly recommended). All after mucho researcho. Not for everyone though, depends on the sort of person you are.
Q3) Only after a lot of research as I've never demoed skis, I don't really have the ability or experience to form an opinion after a couple of hours I don't think. Plus demo-ing a pair of skis for one day max doesn't really let you test them in all conditions, and can you really compare those yesterday from those today? (I've got over 28 weeks under my belt now)
Q4) bought three pairs of used skis, the first was great, the second were ex-hire and knackered, the third were from a geezer on an internet forum...you guessed it, and were great. I'd never buy used again mainly because there are so many good deals end of season, unless I could buy from a geezer on an internet......!
Q5) Ah now, that is the question. A one ski quiver? We all start out wanting the perfect ski for every condition, but I bet we all end up with multiple sets of planks. The guitar players have an anacronym for it...GAS, which stands for guitar acquisition syndrome (I've suffer from that that too), I bet there's an equivalent for skiers! Seriously, do your research if you can't demo, there are loads of good internet reviews. I'd guess you are looking at something quite stiff with a short-ish radius and no bigger than 90mm waist...but that's just (I'm in a minority of 1...I like BBRs...@DotM recommended Line Blades to me, they might be your thing?)
Q6) It looks like to me that you are on the slippery slidey slope (sorry) that we have all been on. You are asking a bunch of alcoholics if buying a good scotch is a good idea! Of course it is, what do you expect me to say!

Also, don't forget that you'll need a ski bag. Just buy one with wheels that you can get two pairs of long skis in, or a board and skis, plus masses of kit, because if you fly you'll get one in the end, they make life so much easier.
Plus, don't forget that if your partner doesn't buy into the whole winter holiday thing, they'll end up a ski widow/widower.

You can service your own kit, I have done. But I prefer to get a trusted local shop (thanks Scott) to do mine. Some people love the whole ski prep thing, but then they don't live with my partner who hates even the thought of mess. (Even if I do it in the garage!)

Just my thoughts.
latest report
Quote:

I'm trying to take more trains than planes

Trains are worse than planes for lugging around skis imo. Plane is easy, usually very little walking from car to check-in and then from departures to transfer. Train can be a huge hassle if you have to swap platforms at a busy station, and I can tell you from experience crossing London on the underground with a change along the way with snowboard bag was not particularly fun.

Quote:

Mind you, if I rent high quality skis for 1.5-2 weeks per winter, on average, it will probably cost me ~£150 annually. In 3-4 years, that's a good quality pair of skis (without the associated maintenance costs).

Assuming you buy the right pair to begin with. Which if you don't know what you want is perhaps not so likely. (If you have to ask what type of ski you need, you probably need to get out and demo a variety before you think about buying). The advantage of renting is flexibility - you can pick something based on conditions and what type of skiing you plan to do. Your interests and skills may well change in less than 3 years.
snow report
Just a quick point.

The benefit of having your own boots that have been fitted to your own feet is immense. Skis that fit change your skiing. And with a bit of planning they can be transported in ordinary suitcases/holdalls.

The benefit of then having your own skis is small, in terms of skiing, if you are hiring you can always go back at the end of the day and ask to swap to something else. There is a benefit in cost if you ski a lot - but not if you have to pay for ski transport and have to lug them around interchanges. However if you drive to the slopes and can transport skis easily, or have your own place where you can store them, then it makes life much easier to have your own and never go near the hire shop.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

I'm trying to take more trains than planes

Trains are worse than planes for lugging around skis imo. Plane is easy, usually very little walking from car to check-in and then from departures to transfer. Train can be a huge hassle if you have to swap platforms at a busy station, and I can tell you from experience crossing London on the underground with a change along the way with snowboard bag was not particularly fun.

With skis it's no problem at all. The trick is to have the skis (or presumably the board) in a simple bag on their own. That way they're really light and go up on the luggage rack and are easy to carry. If you use a one of the big wheeled bags with your skis/board and all your gear in it's a struggle.

@gixxerniknik is right that you'll need a bag to carry your skis in, but not necessarily the type he's suggesting. I have one of those big bags on wheels that can hold skis plus all my gear, but it's a real pain to lug around, particularly on buses and trains but it also doesn't fit easily in the back seat of my car. They're also not that straightforward to pack. The only reason I have it is that BA let you take that as your hold luggage, so you don't have to pay extra for ski carriage, and with Easyjet you can book ski carriage without any other hold luggage.The rest of the time, I use a holdall for my gear and a simple bag for my skis, which is far easier to deal with. A ski bag can fit into all sorts of places that the giant wheeled bag doesn't.
snow conditions
I'm of the chain of though
you can never have enough skis or bikes.
there's a ski or mtb for every occasion
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Surely a "Chain" of thought only applies to bikes. Embarassed
latest report
If you live in relatively easy drive of ether Oktobertest locations. Why not join that. You will get to try out different skis. Help give you insight into what you like.

We all now have our own skis, even the girls. For me it is a safety thing. With my skis I have knee bindings which I use.... these allow a laterally heel release, which is supposed to reduce liklihood of ACL rupture. Having ruptured my ACL in one knee (while skiing) and subsequently damaged the repair (while playing hockey), it is a worthwhile investment in an attempt to preserve as much of my knee as possible.

We ended up getting girls there own after some rather shocking offers of skis and conditions they were in. Now had no issue when I highlight there state with different ones being offered in hire shop. As I do all the servicing and have all the kit, doing 4 sets or 1 just takes more time. There is also something nice about not needing to take time to go to and queue at hire shops at start and end of holiday
snow conditions
Try to take more interest in the ski's you rent. Talk to the shop about what you want and what they have. Make a note of what you've skied on. Try another pair halfway through the week.

Basically build up a bit of knowledge so you can buy with more confidence.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Other considerations:

How tall/ heavy are you? Ski hire stock tends to be pitched at the average, lightweights or heavyweights tend to have a limited choice.

How do you tend to travel? By car makes travelling with skis a doddle, plane is easy too if you get to the airport by car, but not necessarily if you get there by train. Train and tube are a complete PITA.

My advice would be to go to the OktoberTest, see if there's a ski you'd give 10 to, then try and snaffle it at a bargain price. IMO the purchase of skis isn't a huge proportion of the total cost of skiing as long as you buy wisely.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@samr96, got to say, I am rather with @Scarlet & @Old Fartbag on the whole topic. I spent weeks/years renting back in the days when I skied rather a lot based out of the UK. And skis were going thru that awkward period.

So if you are happy with your boots, very excellent indeed. Maybe not buy skis.

But ask on here for rental shop recommendations?

I’d also tend to agree with this, especially as your stated aim is to ski 1-2 weeks a year. I’d be interested to know what you believe constitutes an “expert” skier? Personally, I tend to start with racers or experienced instructors (not necessarily always Laughing ) and work backwards from there…
latest report
A few more thoughts on ski buying:

If you ever intend to do some serious (or any really) training on a dry slope then you will need specific skis for that. I don't know if this applies to indoor slopes, but on my annual trip to an indoor slope, Landgraaf usually, I use my dry slope race skis.

I've never been able to understand ski reviews - to me they are just a load of advertising waffle, but I do trust the views of friends

I do recall testing out a pair of skis that were apparently the right length for me but found them too long and unweildy (I know to many expert skiers the concept of skis being too long is an ailein concept). Even the ideal length of skis varies from model to model. You can only find this out by trying them.

Consider the purchase of bindings as well as skis. They are not always included in the quoted price. IIRC the last pair I bought came without bindings.

It has happened to me and to my son in the past but we have had hire shops refusing to rent out skis without also hiring boots from them.

@gixxerniknik, I just love the smell of hot ski wax in the morning. As does my wife. Its addictive
snow report
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

I’d be interested to know what you believe constitutes an “expert” skier? Personally, I tend to start with racers or experienced instructors (not necessarily always Laughing ) and work backwards from there…

Just being a racer does not make you an expert. I race but would not under any circumstances call myself an expert, moderately competent* is about as far as I'd go.

*Even that is a gross exaggeration
snow report
@johnE, I was always under the impression that one kept old skis for dry slopes because Dendix trashed them?

Agree totally on reviews. Back in the day a mate's brother worked on a ski mag and his extensive testing for reviews involved reading what everyone else had written previously rolling eyes

I have skied a couple of models that clearly were designed for someone much heavier than my little 60kgs. One pair I know were designed by and for a 100kg ex downhiller. I could barely turn them.

The others, many years ago, apparently had been built for Tomba by Atomic. I couldn't turn them at all Shocked
snow conditions
I
Quote:

@johnE, I was always under the impression that one kept old skis for dry slopes because Dendix trashed them?

Edges go very fast, because of obsessive sharpening. Bases not so much as long as the mat is wet. Super hard wax frequently applied helps too. My plastic skis almost never see snow.
ski holidays
@ski, ah yes, nothing quite like Hillend in heavy rain Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Quote:

I was always under the impression that one kept old skis for dry slopes because Dendix trashed them?

My dry slope skis are 155 long slalom skis bought especially for dry slope use. My long wide snow skis with a 20m radius would be terrible on a dry slope. As @ski, says the edges have to be sharp and you shapen them at least every week. The bases actually last longer than the edges, but do wear down so to avoid the edges being proud rails the edge bases need filing occaisionaly. I have to confess I never wax them.

I listened to a lady presenter on the wireless the other day who confessed after losing a bet with her husband agreed to do anything as a forfeit provided it didn't involve waxing. Up until then I hadn't realised that she was a skier.
ski holidays
I bought boots decades ago, but have never bought skis, although many of the friends I ski with have done so. However you travel not having skis is easier. If driving or hiring, everything fits in any small-medium size vehicle: no need for an estate, ski-hatch or roof-box. By public transport I can just walk to the station with a rucksack. Skis are a pain crossing London or Paris by tube, particularly in rush hour when people often don't expect extra long accessories - and you yourself can easily forget and cut people up on corners. No worries about carriage: drop-off, charges, whether they will actually be on the same plane, or whether they will get damaged.

Financially it has probably cost me a bit more to rent, although once allowing for ski, bindings & poles; servicing / repair; and carriage; not by a lot. I always book in advance, to get a good discount on walk-up prices, and typically am in the store early Saturday when there is little or no queue. I have never had a poor rental pair; most are probably this or last season's skis - and in better shape than my friends' skis, which are on average perhaps 5-10 years old. And when you get a step change in technology, as with the move to carving ski some years ago, with renting you get the benefit immediately - without having to ditch the skis you only bought last year!

Never heard of any shop refusing to rent skis unless you also rent boots!

I always check the DIN settings before leaving the shop. Most are about right, occasionally I ask them to turn them down.0.5 or 1, and only at one shop have they been set ridiculously high.

I
snow report
johnE wrote:
@Cacciatore,
Quote:

I’d be interested to know what you believe constitutes an “expert” skier? Personally, I tend to start with racers or experienced instructors (not necessarily always Laughing ) and work backwards from there…

Just being a racer does not make you an expert. I race but would not under any circumstances call myself an expert, moderately competent* is about as far as I'd go.

*Even that is a gross exaggeration

rolling eyes

OK, so how would you describe a ski racer (in the professional context)? I’m not a racer, but do occasionally ski with ex-racers and instructors. They’re all, IMV, more than “moderately competent”.
snow conditions
@johnE,
Quote:

I just love the smell of hot ski wax in the morning.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Smells like holiday?
Laughing
snow report
@gixxerniknik, Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy