Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mmmmmm c r u n c h y … when to wash

Poster: A snowHead
I actually struggle with sweaty hats the most for touring. It’s hard to find a good hat and they get super nasty with sweat. Last years favourite was nasty by end of season so I tried to clean it with an upholstery cleaning machine but it lost its shape.

Got a supposedly machine washable pattagucci cap for this winter so keen to see how it goes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hang11, …In skiing I have become used to using helmets in every context but with Grom2’s growing interest in touring I will need to learn more about hats. Head protection from UV is so important, something which I have increasingly become aware of whilst climbing and hiking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve a cheap floppy sun hat from decathlon which has been great for touring
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2, For clmbing back in the day I used to wear the classic "Smelly Helly", of which the early 1980s ones were virtually indestructible - 20 winter seasons! Nowadays for skiing, mountain walking etc my favourite is a Helly Hansen, but a mix of the man-made fibre and merino wool - it seems to give the advantages of both, not as smelly as the old ones, but much harder wearing than pure merino.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With regard to ski socks, I thought the general rule of thumb was; throw them at the wall. If they stick and do not slide down the wall, it's time to change them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You need to get on top of your moth problem. The NT (national trust) freeze all fabrics in meat transporters for a month to kill moth, but chemicals will work IF you keep using them until all the bugs are dead.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@joffy69, ...interesting. One problem for us is that we heat the house with wood, felled in the six acre wood around the corner. The stored logs often harbour small moths, which wake up when bought into the house in midwinter. I bag all woollens, and that works. We don't have the terrible infestations which other people have had in the village, but my partner's unbagged merino occasionally gets hammered by a couple of hungry larvae.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The moth is not in the wood. If you've got carpet laid anywhere, they're probably in the underlay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fil old house wool carpets horrendous moth problem! New house (400m away) wooden floors no carpet no moths except the few he transferred in jumpers and soft furnishings.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I rarely wear base layers, it's usually just a shirt underneath the jacket, and I wash it if it starts to smell iffy. When I do wear an extra layer (a long sleeved shirt) I normally take it off before I get sweaty so it usually survives the entire trip.
As for socks, if they stink (which has been the case nearly every day lately) I quickly hand wash them and it makes a world of a difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@joffy69, …definitely from the logs. We fell our own timber, store stacked for two years, and then it does get a few animals living in it…peacock butterflies, spiders and moths…we have oak floors throughout, and no wool furniture. My lovely Icelandic blanket lives in a bag and gets put away every time I lurk underneath it on the sofa….

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 30-04-22 19:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Curious as to detergent/soap used to generally wash clothes and sensitive materials that people are using.

Currently we are using this https://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/dri-pak/liquid-soap-flakes-750ml/?PCode=DSGPESS152&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInNnE-ay89wIVr4xoCR1WTQXCEAQYHSABEgIfPPD_BwE for all materials, are there any other interesting choices out there?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, I use this which I think is similar: https://www.ecover.com/products/laundry/delicate-laundry-liquid/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, …here’s an interesting one re what detergent to use on tech gear: shampoo. Very gentle, and optimised for removing human grease, which can accumulate around collars, chin guards etc. Far cheaper than technical washes, just as good, and gentle on the fabrics and finishes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, yes we've used their non scented liquid for some time, but started to get more difficult to find (but brand exclusion practices in retail ? ) and now find it easier to aquire the soap flake one.
As you note, they seem very similar in composition and intent.
When we first started using Eco there was talk of getting bottles refilled locally but never appeared to get established anywhere within supply range to us. Conscious of the plastic waste element with no immediate route to mitigate, but product seemed fine.
snow conditions
@valais2, yes of formulated for just that eventuality, the shampoo is.

Interestingly the Dri-Pak liquid soap is advised for shower wash etc of body and so will cover that eventuality too. Whether it's a cost advantage too could be interesting with liquid soap at less than £3.00 per 750 ml.
ski holidays
I use this for all my hand washing (decanted into a small bottle when travelling): https://www.lakeland.co.uk/23002/lakeland-lavender-wool-wash-liquid-detergent-1l#product-details-accordion
ski holidays
My (possibly not great) solution to washing outer wear is to do a pond skim comp at the end of the season, and go for the full 10 points with a big method. The thing is they put blue dye in the water because otherwise it would be a muddy brown colour. Looks good on the social media. Luckily my jacket is blue. Looks good as new Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy