Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mmmmmm c r u n c h y … when to wash

Poster: A snowHead
This is a chance for all to tell the terrible truth …

When I used to climb a lot, being very grubby with stinking kit was …. Normal

When The Grom was 12, and went for a day with some top free skiers his first observation was ‘ … they were a bit smelly ….’ - grubby trashed kit …. Normal

This Easter the Grom shouted from his room ‘have you got any more socks?’ Me: ‘how crunchy are they?’ Him: ‘very - I’ve been wearing them for five days…’ Me: ‘ ok I’ll dig out some more…’. …Normal

Synthetic base layers = wear til honky
Wool base layers = wear til crunchy
Socks = wear til very crunchy

Anyone else?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, YUCK! The first sign of honk and it gets discarded. As for crunch - no thanks!

That said, I can alternate merino base layers for a week (hanging up to air, not inside a cupboard, on their 'free' days) before any honk sets in.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No crunch and no honk for me either.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit like food in the fridge, if it walks out to greet you, probably time to change.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the speed of honkiness varies a lot - I can wear stuff now for a lot longer than I could have done when young and in top reproductive form. I do find the modern tendency to wash everything every time it's taken off to be excessive. And VERY bad for the environment. Hopefully people will stop being able to afford it.
On the boat, opportunities to wash stuff are few and far between. Hanging things out to air on the guard rail makes a big difference.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some people produce more body odor than others

Some body parts produce more odor than others.

I can wear the top base layer for days if not week, and no one could tell (smell?) the difference.

But socks? Two days max, and you don't want to be around when I take it off at end of day 2. So unless I have no choice, I make a habit of one day only.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@abc, agreed on socks. I can usually just about manage two days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, indeed…for all the superficial humour of my original post, we are very environmentally conscious, and whilst we don’t want to offend anyone in our vicinity or clear a restaurant when we enter, we do try to avoid unecessary washing - since undue water consumption and the pollution from detergents (some of them with a powerful pseudo-oestrogenic effect) are a Very Bad Thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, …HAH!!!….out it comes … two days … you are a member of the Grubby Society too ….
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, and I do like the ‘speed of honkiness’. As in ‘our car travels at three times the speed of honkiness’.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, well, I certainly don't wash things just for the sake of it. But once something honks, that's it. On the matter of ski socks, I don't even loosen my boots during the day, let alone take them off, so it's only anybody in the boot room at the end of the day who might be briefly assailed. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, …seriously; that’s good…as PamW says…a lot of things get washed completely unnecessarily. Weirdly our socks and boots don’t smell, the socks just get increasingly rigid…that’s probably too much information….
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From Nikwax website:

‘…. In synthetic fabrics, stubborn bacteria and microbes are the cause of the musty, sour, and ammonia-like odors. There are many suggestions on how to deodorize and wash smelly baselayers: put them in the freezer, boil them, soak them in vinegar, or some other DIY method…’

W H A T ??

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 27-04-22 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

since undue water consumption and the pollution from detergents (some of them with a powerful pseudo-oestrogenic effect) are a Very Bad Thing.

Since I can't always able to carry enough fresh socks for a week, I hand wash them each day. Much less water consumption.

Also, soap are not always necessary. My mtn bike outer wear gets dusty/muddy after each ride. But a quick water-only rinse is all they need.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All depends on the month. Jan skiing being very different to April in the sweat stakes.

Also: Have been known (more than once) to ski, apres, fall asleep on sofa, wake, brush teeth go ski, without removing anything but the outer jacket and boots during the process.

Seriously though, sun and wind does a lot to kill the bacteria that causes odour, so a good airing will def defer the need to launder.
ski holidays
@abc, …mtb kit is good in that respect. I go a bit further and just shake it out and chuck it in the corner…base layers get washed though…
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, that’s absolutely right - UV genuinely trashes the bacteria which causes honk.
ski holidays
@valais2, what about tech fabric, Goretex shell pants etc

I just wear them until I think maybe they need a wash, might only be once a season if that?

I try and avoid wearing tech pants when I know I'll be sweating, which is when ski-touring, so then it's normal fabrics, and then the dry salted lines from perspiration are a bit of a giveaway.

Does get a bit complicated with tops, but again I try to avoid wearing tech tops and down jackets when climbing keeping those in the pack, and only wearing layers I know I can wash.

If I don't sweat then it doesn't get washed is my strategy Laughing

And I'll often shower and wash tops and socks at the same time.
latest report
Quote:

‘our car travels at three times the speed of honkiness’.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing is that why if I put a stinky cheese in the boot we only smell it when we stop?

Socks get stuffed in a bag the moment I get to the apartment and take ski boots off, bag gets put outside on the balcony until I wash them so as not to honk the apartment out. 1 day max for socks which are merino. Merino T-shirts go on rotation, 3 last all holiday (1 or two weeks) as day/evening wear.
Boots have ultra-violet heaters put in the moment they come off to kill honkyness.

I must just be a smelly sod!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@valais2, well, I certainly don't wash things just for the sake of it. But once something honks, that's it. On the matter of ski socks, I don't even loosen my boots during the day, let alone take them off, so it's only anybody in the boot room at the end of the day who might be briefly assailed. wink

Dully noted… Toofy Grin
snow report
@Weathercam, …salt lines….like it.

And I think you are adopting the Inuit way - layer up, but discard into backpack when getting too hot, to avoid the body temp which means that heavy sweating cuts in.

Argh Tech layers. I have always found that replacement DWR never works as well as the factory instal. I value pit zips and leg zips, and always wear jackets and trousers with base layers, even in the higher temps. We have some really good, strong but thin base layers for late season. The main problem is that nasty black or dark brown grime which descends onto lime green or yellow kit, marking up the seams etc. I tend to do local external cleaning and spread the load on the gear by having lots of alternate garments which I mix up during the season….plays havoc with people trying to follow me in resort though sometimes - ‘sorry…thought you were in orange-green not yellow-lime….’
snow conditions
Inside out, back to front, it must be Thursday!
snow report
And here is John Prine with "The Speed of the Sound of Honkiness".
http://youtube.com/v/eFvenjll1Bk
ski holidays
@valais2, I don't see what the problem is.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
And here is John Prine with "The Speed of the Sound of Honkiness".
http://youtube.com/v/eFvenjll1Bk

snowHead

One of my all time faves. Thanks for posting
ski holidays
if that's the Speed of Honkiness does this mean that after all these years, this song is in fact about ski socks...(forgive the travesty...I take my Stones very seriously...bless Charlie)

http://youtube.com/v/hqqkGxZ1_8I
latest report
Yes, that's definitely about ski socks
latest report
Quote:

When I used to climb a lot, being very grubby with stinking kit was …. Normal

My daughter's a climber, it's still normal. Combine it with skiing - she spent 3 weeks i n Jan/Feb ski touring in Kyrgyzstan with 2 climber mates, and I think she said she made 3 merino baselayers last the whole trip!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2, Back in climbing days would wear the same base layers for a week winter climbing in Scotland, alpine climbing, no washing facilities for weeks on end - completely normal. Now skiing we are staying indoors, so do change more, but still wear base layers and socks for several days - give them a sniff in the morning to see if they are too smelly!
We still laugh when we see people asking if they should take a pair of socks and baselayers for every day of their trip.
Actually, when we cycle tour for three months at a time, we have two sets of cycle clothing, so wear one set until we come across washing facilities, and a dry day at the same time - with two sets you cannot have your spare wet, a spare dry set is for emergencies
latest report
@RobinS, i take a base layer per day for April skiing….very different to mid winter when kit doesn’t get wet with sweat!
snow conditions
, @RobinS, …phew…endorsement of our conservative approach…I have to stop the endless flow of Grom1’s garments into the washing basket - barely worn and neurotically washed….
latest report
@kitenski, …April can be such a sweat-fest - but fine mesh base layers seem to work brilliantly for both cold and hot April days - skiing and cycling. There’s a view in cycling that even in high temps we should wear thin base layers - controversial, since sweating is a natural process to cool us in extremis
snow report
@valais2, I'm never without a merino base layer even on the hottest of ski days.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, …yes, merino is a stonking fabric - performs so well …

… but is so fragile … many many holes in my Icebreaker 200 tops … and those little winged bu””ers - the clothes moth - can be a curse ….
latest report
@valais2, I have Icebreaker tops which I wear all year round, which I've had for 10 years and which go in the washing machine (on a delicate wash). They're still going strong. So far I'm winning the war against moths in my house, but that does take extreme vigilance.
snow report
@valais2, I'm about to wash my salt-encrusted back-pack*, as that's it for ski-touring for the season, and will also throw a couple of old down tops I climb in when it's cold, they're never the same again after a wash, that's why I use two shoddy one.

You guys should see the salt lines on my clothing when I get back from a long ride.

*I'll leave the Avy pack as that's a bit more compliquée and I obviously don't use it in Summer, actually I might shower it ?
snow conditions
I get one merino base layer and don’t wash it all season Eh oh! . 60 or 70 days use. Totally antisocial. Sometimes go for a fish on the way home too so get fish guts and blood all over my pants. Luckily no gondies and mostly surface lifts so I don’t need to interact with people who have higher standards.

I have a nice base layer for heli days because I don’t want to make the driver lose concentration.
ski holidays
@hang11, Laughing
latest report
@hang11, …excellent
latest report
@Hurtle, …Yep high vigilance vital re moths. I wash and bag, my partner washes and throws in the cupboard. Hers are moth-infested and it drives me bonkers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy