Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
@Guernseyfreerider, thanks for the update.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Folks..

Enjoying the Rain out there on the hill today ? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Down here in Innsbruck it is dry and Blue skies ..quite nice !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Everything on the Galzig, except for Galzigbahn is on weather hold. Strangely, the wind does not feel strong enough to warrant it. Either they are expecting much worse to come or it is stronger at the top than it feels at the Galzig restaurant or on Kapall.

Kapallbahn opened an hour ago. Nice snow up there.

The lower mountain is goop, as you might imagine.

Well, that’s a wrap. After 10 fabulous weeks, we are done - off to Zürich tomorrow. See you in about 290 days. Aussie season opens in 3 months! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ulmerhutte, you’ve had the best of it, I’m pretty happy to be going home also tomorrow not been an epic snow week by any measure, feels like end of April in town. Folks look totally fed up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, yeah, this is the first time it has felt like the end of the season for our departure.

Our neighbour & local guide looked up up the brown & green hill behind our home and said, “Four weeks too early!”

Despite the light season, the Arlberg delivered enough snow for us to thoroughly enjoy ourselves.

Hope you also found many good times and your recovery from your old “war injury” passed with flying colours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Y'all have safe journeys home. Def not been a vintage winter, but good old St A has delivered in this 'odd' year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, @davidthornton,

Likewise, safe travels and enjoy your summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ulmerhutte, Will miss the regular reports, until next year

It has been snowing steadily in the village since I got here at 5 o'clock, the greeny / brown patches are now a dirty white colour, the suggestion is that the snow will keep up all night we shall see. Pretty breezy.

Gunnar is belting out the usual tunes in The Murrmel to an appreciative audience, lots of brits buying frozen pizza and beer in the Spar!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, yeah my knee did ok, it’s mountainbiking from here on so hoping to build up leg muscle ready for next season. We had 2 decent weeks, no complaints. Safe travels.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, enjoy the new snow, could be a late start but once the lifts open should be good. Kapall would be my suggestion followed by Schindlerkar.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A day of two halves in Lech today. Headed up the Rupfikophbahn first thing with the idea of heading across to St Anton. Did a quick lap of the off piste below the trittalp lift, very surprised by the snow, slightly crusty at the top but softened up further down - very nice.

Unfortunately when we got to bottom of Flexenbahn it went pear. shaped as they closed all the lifts. We couldn’t understand it, there was a storm but not too windy. We met with a friend later who lives in Dalaas and she said it was blowing a hooley down there so I guess it must have been bad up top. We waited over an hour with half of St Anton and Lech trying to get a bus and taxi but eventually the lift opened again and we were able to get back to Zurs. We did a Couple of runs on either side of valley but light was flat so we headed back to Lech. They started closing lifts as the wind picked up so we were reduced to lapping petersboden.

It was snowing most of the afternoon but wet and heavy +4 in the village, it’s only been late this evening where it’s got really cold and the snow is settling, probably around 8cm in town so far so fingers crossed for tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
30 min delay at Galzigbahn. Gampenbagn chairlift is open as normal. Galzig has snow of 186cm. About 22cm more than yesterday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another quick question on itineraries, are 309 and 310 from Warth to Schroken worth skiing? They've also not been open in Easter. Assume it's a bus back?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great weeks skiing in St Anton....
Weather in & out, snow plough and piste management team are doing an amazing job considering the winter we've had, & the spring (snow) that's now arrived.....

This new snow is welcome though, if it gets/ stays cold in the coming days it could be very nice.....

We're on our way back having had a blast on & off.

Ski safe y'all!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, I only skied the piste, not the skiroute to Schröcken. Indeed skibus back, and not worth it imo. (that piste is a recent creation completely aimed at connecting the appartements-hamlet at Nesslegg. Schröcken aims to build a gondola, but has not enough accommodation to make it worthwhile; the piste mostly is a path).
Don't know about the skiroute. But for sure there is no snowmaking there, and Schröcken is at just 1200 meters....
The area around the Falken with the retro-chairlift is very, very pretty though. The hotel Körbersee has a lovely low-key terrace with superb views

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 11-03-23 13:36; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Langerzug, thanks
ski holidays
Was awoken by the sound of avalanche blasting, it had been snowing all night. I guess about 10cm in the village, maybe 20cm at Galzig. Lifts opened late and Schindler stayed closed all day (wind). Lower down a layer of powder on a hard base but good skiing. The pistes next to the Kapal Tbar were really nice plenty of powder at the sides, Kandahar provided plenty of soft powdery moguls.

The snow petered out late morning and the clouds lifted a bit, even some weak sunshine. The snow returned around 3 and it is now falling steadily, I suspect its here all night. Conditions have clearly improved but even so not great at village level
ski holidays
Amazing day in Lech. The snowgods delivered overnight and I had one of my best powder days for a long time.

We headed up early and played around at low level around the tree line whilst the light was flat, great warm up and great snow.

Then as soon as the top lift opened we headed across to the Steinmahderbahn. The itinerary on the way down looked mint but it was closed although a couple of instructors were going down. The snow off the Steinmahder was proper blower powder, we played around off the itinerary and lapped it a few times.

On our third lap one of my friends had the escape of his life. He went too far left of the itinerary and straight off a cliff. Absolute shocker, luckily some small trees broke his fall and he fell about 20 feet into some soft snow. He spent the next hour trying to find one of his skis, eventually he did about 80 feet below where he fell and somehow he managed to get up absolutely exhausted. One to tell your grandchildren but probably not your wife. Skullie

After that we had a rest as he recovered and then headed over to Zurs. Super windy but the snow below Trittalp was more than respectable particularly at the bottom

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpqmJvdv0CL/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

With the weather closing in I made the decision to head across to Madloch as I thought we would have a bit of protection from the Krieghorn. Luckily it was a good choice, several pitches of deep powder all the way down and decent visibility.

A cracking few days in one of my favourite resorts snowHead
snow conditions
@Guernseyfreerider, Shocked
ski holidays
Avalanche Danger

It is currently 3 but be careful off piste .. yesterday over in Schruns (Vorarlberg) 18 ski tourers .. 14 of them were caught in a slide ..10 managed to get out 4 were completely buried which 3 needed medical attention

https://www.vol.at/lawinen-wunder-auf-der-drusenfluh/7957156

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

This summer the Gampenbahn will get a new control system so it does not look like they are replacing the lift anytime soon..

http://youtube.com/v/dsKtivFJuAY

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Weather from the local meteo Guy .. trust no one else .

After the passage of a weak warm front on Sunday, the way is clear for subtropical warm air at the beginning of the new week.

The warming on Monday is supported by the additional strong reviving south foehn.

The frost line rises temporarily to 3000m. But the next cooling is not long in coming.

With a cold front on Tuesday, the snow line drops again noticeably towards 1000m.

On Wednesday we will be behind the cold front for a day in the damp and cold northwest traffic jam.

In case of heavy clouds, there will be further, but not too abundant snow showers down to the valleys. But during the second half of the week, the temperatures are already sustainable again, and markedly go up. Spring touring is coming
With pleasantly mild temperatures, there is repeated sunshine. Only harmless, high cloud fields mix to the sunshine.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

@munich_irish, Most the Blasting you hear early in the morning is not actually the slopes ...it is making the Arlbergpass highway safe for road traffic... The Ski area is protected by Gazex remote control system ..
snow report
@Guernseyfreerider, be careful with playing 'off the itinerary' in that area. Those gullies can be very dangerous, also with smaller avalanches, becoming funnels.
A Dutch prince got caught that way, guided by a local....
ski holidays
On the (very busy) train home. Not a particularly good day. More blasting this morning as it had been snowing all night, around 5 cms in the village. Low clouds and mist, sleety rain in the village. Windy with horizontal snow higher up, pretty unpleasant. Gampen bar already full at 09:30 with folk sheltering from the storm. Those with better eyesight than me would have headed up to Kapall where I am sure there was excellent snow but I went back down the runs in the trees to the village, Pistes were OK , though the soft snow was already pretty moguled, not ideal for the numerous ski school classes. The conditions got worse further down. The slightly steeper pitch by the KK was not good (at 10:30) and the run down from there was just piles of gloop. Snow plough turners were really struggling and conditions would only get worse, it would be easy to pick up an injury, getting the Galzigbahn back down is probably sensible. Hardly good for post KK / Moose skiing back to the village. I tried the Nassereine run which was much better, decent skiing most of the way down. Despite the occasional brighter interlude the weather did not improve, the best option was to wait for the sunshine tomorrow. Packed up early as fed up with getting wet, sauna like conditions around the Galzigbahn. Of course it cleared up around 3 by which time I was looking up the mountain drinking a beer.

Tomorrow morning should be excellent higher up (assuming the lifts open) as there has been plenty of new snow (get in the queue early!) but the avalanche risk is pretty high. The white patches in the village were already disappearing this afternoon, all will be green after an hour or twos sun in the morning. Forecast not optimistic so I guess that might be it for the season for me Sad
snow conditions
@munich_irish, looks like a big temp
drop on the 15th for a few days before back to above avg temps.
ski holidays
Hoping to see some Sun next week! Wink
ski holidays
We're due in St Anton from 1 April and still looking forward to it. Moved back to the UK from Chamonix in 2021 for Mrs Meltus to become a teacher and knew we'd be losing out ski wise. Feb is ridiculous money and Easter will always be a roll of the dice in terms of conditions. We were lucky last year - visited mates in Cham in mid April and were told to bring running shoes not skis but we had a mega dump just before we arrived - but looks like we've lost out this year.

C'est la vie. A couple of hours skiing scratchy pistes in the morning followed by beers in the sun still beats the sh*t out of work any day!

I'm consoling myself with the forecast for Glencoe/Cairngorm Very Happy
ski holidays
@Meltus, I've skied the arlberg at Easter for years, even on the worst snow years there has been plenty of skiing available.
ski holidays
@Meltus, It should still be good high up, certainly first thing. The lower slopes however are not likely to be worth going near, have a beer or three in the sun and get a lift back down. Easter Monday is often very busy, it can feel like the entire population of Innsbruck is on the slopes (and car parks!) of St Anton.
ski holidays
Cheers guys, yeah as I say we're still looking forward to it. Skiing > no skiing after all and I'm hoping for a bit of a powder day in Scotland this weekend!

Any recommendations for decent high runs are welcome. Total noob question but what's up the the Valluga 1, are people allowed on it? I think Valluga 2 you need to be with a guide? It seems to have been closed every time I've looked but does have a red piste coming off it on the map? I've resigned myself to the fact that the off-piste will be non-existent but it would still be good to get to the highest point on the map.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No problem with the slope (top to valley) until the last of the season April 23rd & then into the May Touring season....

Be aware in recent seasons many Apres Bars, Resturant , Cafe busineses close for the season earlier .. I hear alot April 2nd is the date this season.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zürs 11 March 11:00 am Avalanche

A 54-year-old German skier and his 29-year-old son between the Zürsersee and Seekopf mountain stations off piste towards Zürs.

The two men triggered a slab of snow with a width of around 20 meters below the avalanche barriers. Both skiers were swept away by the slab of snow, but fortunately came to rest on the surface of the slab slide . The skiers were unharmed and escaped is shock.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Weather from the Local Meteo Guy...Trust no one else !

The spring interlude at the beginning of the week is followed by the return of late winter in the middle of the week.

This will be initiated with a cold front, which will hit us in the night to Tuesday and will provide further showers into Tuesday with changing cloud conditions.

The snow line drops to 1000m. On Wednesday we will be behind the cold front temporarily in the damp and cold northwest jam.

It comes with stronger, partly loosening clouds still to a few snow showers down to the low valleys.

The winter thus gives a strong sign of life again, before it goes during the second half of the week again clearly in the direction of spring.

From Thursday to Saturday, with increasingly stronger, foehn southwesterly winds, mostly friendly and sunny weather sets in.

Harmless, high cloud fields only mark the associated high-reaching warming and disturb only slightly. The frost line rises temporarily over 3000m.
latest report
Whilst of course I will bow to the expertise of locals, apres bars shutting right at the start of the Easter holidays seems...unlikely
snow report
@Meltus, yes you need a guide for top lift at Valluga. Ski the north facing slopes later in the day, those above Zurs seem to hold snow well in warm conditions, as do the higher Stuben slopes. When I've been in Easter I've avoided the lower St Anton slopes unless skiing first thing to get over to Rendl (which was also good at Easter)
ski holidays
Meltus wrote:
Cheers guys, yeah as I say we're still looking forward to it. Skiing > no skiing after all and I'm hoping for a bit of a powder day in Scotland this weekend!

Any recommendations for decent high runs are welcome. Total noob question but what's up the the Valluga 1, are people allowed on it? I think Valluga 2 you need to be with a guide? It seems to have been closed every time I've looked but does have a red piste coming off it on the map? I've resigned myself to the fact that the off-piste will be non-existent but it would still be good to get to the highest point on the map.

There's is still some good of off-piste, I skied fresh tracks in Zuers last week (Thursday), and cover was OK. Not epic but there's stuff to do. We skied Valuga earlier in the week, it was hard packed but not icy, and the run out to Zuers was fine, if a little cruddy. Albona was fine too, we skied Peischlkopf to Stuben, the run out to St Christoph was also looking good. St Anton itself looks pretty cr@ppy right now but we found good conditions in Stuben/Lech/Zuers. No idea what Warth is like but that might be worth a look too.

That said, you are right to stay high, the lower runs to Langen and Ferwall looked awful, pretty sure you'd be walking out of those. The runs off Galzig (Maienplatt, Zwischen, Osthang skiroute) also looked un-skiable too Sad

To answer your question on Valuga - Yes, Valuga 1 accesses a red run, you can get to pretty much the same terrain from the faster Schindlergratbahn though. Valuga 2 is the tiny cabin which accesses the top, you can ride up it without skis if you just want to admire the view, if you want to ski off it you need to take a guide, or you can hike up the ridge Skullie Valuga 1 sometimes closes in strong winds or after heavy snowfall, but the live map shows it running now, and it was running earlier last week.
snow report
@Meltus, There is a red piste from the Valluga 1 lift. It is the starting point for the Weiße Rausch ski race which takes place on the last day of the season https://der-weisse-rausch.at/at. The piste is OK it usually has very good snow but it doesnt really go anywhere. Its a run down to a steep short t bar, which used to give access to the Mattunjoch ski route but since the new Schindlergrat lift was built you can get there much quicker and easier with that. Unless you want to do something off piste (you can climb up to the top of the Valluga to avoid the "skis only with a Guide" rule, significant effort and definitely mountaineering) it is not worth the effort of waiting and queuing. It is a couple of metres higher than the mid station of the Schindlergratbahn, if you want to visit the high point of the Arlberg ski area you would need to make the trip.
snow conditions
Apologies for posting a positive picture Wink

latest report
@kitenski, Nice tight syncronised turns , preserving the precious Pow for fellow Powder Hounds ..

________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://youtube.com/v/R6AWSkN_Mrs

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Weather from the Local Meteo guy --- Trust no one else

After the withdrawal of a cold front on Tuesday, we are still in a strong, as well as late winter cold northwest current on Wednesday.

However, the associated northwesterly currents in the mountains is only very weak. During the day, increasingly dry conditions dominate, with the sun coming in repeatedly.

From Thursday, high air pressure prevails for the rest of the week and warm subtropical air will soon flow back to us from the southwest.

Thus, the freeze level comes from Friday is over 3000m .

In addition, there will be mostly unclouded sunshine on Thursday and Friday.

Only at the weekend do more harmless cloud fields mix with the sun. At the same time, the temperatures also drop slightly.
snow report
Report of an avalanche in Zurs area, under the liFts up to Zursersee, 2 people got out OK.
snow report
@stanton, you do realise the local meteo guy will still use a multitude of the computer models to create his forecasts?
snow conditions
@kitenski, Yeah but don't forget it's a special forecast for those in the know, including cut and paste taxi drivers. Laughing
snow report
@Markymark29, it was always printed in our hotel lift, and to be honest its not been that reliable in 9 years of visiting!
ski holidays
@kitenski,@Markymark29, its published every day by Thomas Pichler https://www.tt.com/artikel/30794347/meteorologe-thomas-pichler-das-wetter-orakel-von-pians (behind a paywall). I am sure he spends his time studying the various models etc. His forecasts are general ones for the Tirol west of Innsbruck. Presumably he makes a living selling his forecasts to the various tourist offices and has a custom algorithm translating one of the models to location specific ones no different to Wepowder, Bergfex etc. Difficult to know whether he is more accurate than anyone else.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy