Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
if you look at berfex look at the 9 day - it gives snow level
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, I think it is likely to be rain in the valley the snow thing only came from the forecast mentioned above. Numbers I have seen suggest around 5 degrees in the village and around zero at Galzig, which would imply snow down to around the bottom of Kandahar though always very difficult to estimate the point where snow turns to rain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, I *really* hope you are right, time will tell Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just spoke to an older, local guide/instructor, who has lived here all his life. He was adamant that there would not be much rain - “The wind is too strong”. Make what you will out of that.

Surprisingly better day than expected, especially in terms of sunshine. Pistes were fast, with a covering of sugar, but enjoyable to ski. Lower Kandahar was covered in “wind powder”, ie fine snow blown off the ridges and deposited there. Fun stuff.

Chaos at the Galzig restaurant at lunchtime - their EFTPOS system decided to have a conniption. Long queues, people scrambling to find cash, others abandoning their served-up meals.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a tripped booked for March 18th. Now v worried. Any hope?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stanton1994, plenty. Plenty of snow at mid-mountain and above, so the odds are pretty reasonable.

In any event, you are asking what it will be like in 12 days. Forecasts that far out are not much different from a pure guess in a “normal” season. This year, such a forecast would be a total crapshoot.

Relax and anticipate your forthcoming holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:
@Stanton1994, plenty. Plenty of snow at mid-mountain and above, so the odds are pretty reasonable.

In any event, you are asking what it will be like in 12 days. Forecasts that far out are not much different from a pure guess in a “normal” season. This year, such a forecast would be a total crapshoot.

Relax and anticipate your forthcoming holiday.

Not all heroes wear capes...

I saw the weather and freeze line, and hastily assumed everything below 2100m would be washed away instantly
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

“The wind is too strong”. Make what you will out of that.

makes sense if there is a foehn cloud gap from lee waves
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Stanton1994, Unfortunately rain is not unusual in ski resorts (I remember getting soaking wet during a ski lesson in La Plagne in around 1985 so its not a new occurrence), yes there is likely to be some rain in the Arlberg over the next 5 days, its not the end of the world, the sun will come out again and there is plenty of snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m not convinced rain washes snow away, sure it saturates the snow pack but if not sustained rain for days then I doubt it will
literally wash snow away.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
I’m not convinced rain washes snow away, sure it saturates the snow pack but if not sustained rain for days then I doubt it will
literally wash snow away.

Thanks everyone for your reassuring words - feeling much better about things this morning!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Pistes do not get washed away ..you can ski down to town (Galzig, Nasserein, Rendl) until the end of the season..

Quite the reverse.. Rain compacts the pistes... and at night it generally freezes.

The Artificial Snow base is at least 0.5Metre in depth and solid (Glacial style Ice) . I actually has to be broken up at the end of the season with a claw attached to the Piste machines to enable it to melt faster..

Back in December we probably had one of the worse rain storms (monsoon style) in many seasons... All the snow in the valley was washed away and the sides of the lower valley pistes were fields however the Pistes on the hill remained intack....

One snowstorm later it looked like Winter again Very Happy

___________________________________________________________________________________-

Official Weather from the local guy. Put away your weather modelling apps ..

In Europe, there are great differences in temperature between north and south. This manifests itself in a pronounced and long-lived air mass boundary, which is now beginning to settle more over Central Europe. In the area of this air mass boundary, low-pressure areas develop again and again, including the associated frontal systems, which are also pushed against the north side of the Alps with strong, westerly winds. However, with the long-term weather trend, there is uncertainty that the weather models predict the exact location of the air mass boundary a little differently from day to day and thus larger changes can always arise immediately for our weather trend. Regardless of the temporal and spatial details, we generally have to adjust to very varied weather conditions, in which the sun plays a rather subordinate role. In addition, you have to expect repeated rainfall, especially in the western side of the mountains. The snow line can always make larger jumps, this oscillates between 1500m and 2500m above sea level.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

http://youtube.com/v/2j7CLc0FyS4
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="boabski"]
Quote:

Yes you're right St Anton is an incredible place, what I should have said is that Gunar does add to the attraction of going there. I still don't know if he is actually retiring, can anybody confirm.

Defo. He took my brother in law, plus my sister out for dinner on Tuesday night. For me he will be a big loss to the off snow fun

Some good news for people who like to see Gunar play in St Anton... he will be in the Murrmel next season. We spoke to Gunar yesterday after he finished playing and he explained that hes only going in semi retirement, ie. No touring in summer but hes already arranged that he will be back in the Murrmel next winter season.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 7-03-23 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The forecasts all seem to be improving slightly - Bergfex now appears to show the snowline at only 1400m now for Saturday - fingers crossed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Started snowing lightly at village level at 9:45. It is almost 2C down here. Will out shortly, but I suspect not for long.

Had dinner last night at Tenne in St Jakob. Atmospheric restaurant, friendly staff, fabulous food, generous servings, and fair prices. Can certainly recommend!
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, are you in St Anton when you say village level or staying elsewhere? seems to be less warm in the forecasts for this weekend!
latest report
Gutted to be bedridden with the Arlberg flu, but it’s absolutely chucking down with snow outside my window
ski holidays
The issues with the weather forecast for the weekend is that there is an area of cold air over northern Europe (hence the snow chaos in the UK) and a warm one over southern Europe. Where the two meet there will be a lot of precipitation. However forecasting the exact position of the meeting point is well nigh impossible, there are simply too many variables, tiny changes could make a significant difference to the weather in St Anton (for example). It seems likely that the border between the two airmasses will be somewhere near the Arlberg but it could be blizzarding in Warth and pouring with rain in St Anton or the cold air could extend further south so snow down to the valley in St Anton. It is going to be a case of wait and see though plenty of precipitation of one sort or another seems inevitable. A
snow report
@kitenski, We stay in Nasserein. It is a few vert metres above Dorfstraße, but I still call it “village”.

A much better day than expected. It was snowing above the end of the Osthang bumps line. Maybe 5 - 10cm accumulation. Fun stuff to ski, despite the poor visibility.
snow conditions
@Legendarry, I sympathise. I too have been battling it. It is wicked! Perhaps I should have stayed in bed, but I have been skiing short days instead.
ski holidays
Has ski route 216 Langerzug and ski route 178 to Zug been open recently? I've never managed to ski either when skiing over Easter, but out in 2 weeks so hoping they will be open then!! Both seem shut today on the interactive piste map https://winter.intermaps.com/skiarlberg?lang=en
latest report
@kitenski, both were open a few weekends back when I was last there. I didnt ski either but did ski down Madloch which was somewhat sketchy in the middle part. I would like to do so again this weekend but dont know how skiable it will be, hopefully the fresh snow will help. 178 is south facing so I would assume has lost a lot of snow in the past couple of weeks. The weather for the weekend is looking better though perhaps not as much fresh snow as folk would like but a good bit more sunshine (better with my eyesight!).
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Has ski route 216 Langerzug and ski route 178 to Zug been open recently? I've never managed to ski either when skiing over Easter, but out in 2 weeks so hoping they will be open then!! Both seem shut today on the interactive piste map https://winter.intermaps.com/skiarlberg?lang=en

Went down the LangerZug last week, it was the toughest run Ive ever done. However , I saw a few very good skiers totally nail it. Oh to be 20 years younger !
ski holidays
It was snowing here in St Anton this morning ..some fresh dust up on the hill from yesterdays snowfall.. few cms recorded at Galzig/Östhang & Ulmerhutte

Already clearing .....Blue Skies & Sunshine
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Weather from the local metwo guy ..(.trust no one else)

The current changeable weather conditions will remain with us until the weekend.

After weak intermediate high pressure influence on Thursday, the next storm low will move from the British Isles towards Germany on Friday.

The strong cloudiness at the beginning of the day loosens up even more with foehn southwest wind around noon. At the same time, however, the first showers are already arriving, which will become a little more frequent in the course of the afternoon.

These belong to a cold front, which will give us more showers on Saturday. The snow line drops below 1000m in this process.

The first loosening up occurs in the course of the day from the south. On Sunday we are under increasing high pressure influence, but with persistently strong northwest winds a weak warm front touches us. Light precipitation should be planned especially in the morning.

The snow line begins to rise, but in the afternoon the clouds also loosen up. At the beginning of next week it will be briefly spring-like mild. In addition, Monday gives us a friendly mix of sun and clouds. For Tuesday, the next cold front is announced.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________-

http://youtube.com/v/xPdb10NoDxM
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
ski holidays
@kitenski, Zuppert is often closed in late season. Due to warmer temps>avalanche danger. And this year also very well possible due to lack of snow, completely southfacing.
Langerzug too because of avalanche danger
ski holidays
@Langerzug, which route number is Zuppert?
snow report
@Alan1974, too frozen or too steep?
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
@Alan1974, too frozen or too steep?

It was very steep and the snow was stacked up at the edges of the piste making it a bit narrower then I would have liked, would have been easier earlier in the day I guess. I'll try it again one day but next time I'll do it before 11am.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, Zuppert=178
The current closure of Langerzug and also Zuppert must be related to temperature and rain.
ski holidays
Viewed from the gondola going up from Zug a few days ago 178 didn't look skiable. As @Langerzug, it's south facing and gets burnt out. Only skied it the once in many years of passing it.
latest report
As a first time visitor to St Anton, is there any part of the resort which would be recommended if the visibility isn't great?
snow report
@ldnski23, where is your base?
snow report
Based in St Anton, with ski lockers at the bottom of Galzig
snow conditions
@ldnski23, ok then skiing the tree lined lower runs off Gampen then as a starter...
snow report
@ldnski23, it will be a trade-off between visibility and snow quality. For best visibility, the runs below the Gampen, the valley run to Galzig from Zammermoos, and the Rendl valley run. The snow is pretty much goop on those runs in the afternoon.

In better snow years, you have more choices, eg the Zwischen trees.
snow conditions
@ldnski23, also check webcams, can be cloudy in one valley, ie St Anton or Stuben and much brighter in Lech as one example.
ski holidays
Many thanks both - much appreciated.
latest report
ulmerhutte wrote:

Had dinner last night at Tenne in St Jakob. Atmospheric restaurant, friendly staff, fabulous food, generous servings, and fair prices. Can certainly recommend!

Went there yesterday based on this. Good call. Totally recommend it.
snow report
ldnski23 wrote:
Many thanks both - much appreciated.

Also find that if there’s cloud over galzig/nassereinbahn, that Rendle has a good chance of being out the cloud.
ski holidays
Arrived in Lech Wednesday. It was absolutely peeing it down when we came back from dinner and very warm. Unfortunately we went big and were hanging yesterday morning so didn’t get up the hill till 10 Embarassed

Wet heavy snow below 2000m but still some fun to be had unfortunately a lot of it had been tracked but the Muttamaha itinerary offered up some fresh tracks although it was starting to getting even heavier as the sun came out.

We headed over to Warth to the shadier slopes, all well tracked but good fun.

After lunch we headed to Zurs met some friends and lapped the off piste below the trittalp lift, great fun, mix of windblown, chop and fresh. Then went across for a run off the Muggengratbahn, deep and very heavy, should have gone there in the morning but drunken hindsight is a great thing. It was late but we took the madloch itinerary back down, bit bony at the top but not is as bad condition as I thought it would be. Run to Lech was closed - there was a big slide that had covered part of the the (presumably triggered by avalanche control) so we headed to Zug where we thought we’d have to get the bus but luckily that swanky new gondola from Zug to Lech is open till 17.00 so we skied back down to town.

Still incredibly warm last night but looks like the temperature is coming down. Never known a forecast to change so much over last few days but fingers crossed if it delivers today and tonight tomorrow should be decent.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy