Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
@mheadbee, Just looked at the webcams it looks pretty miserable, been like that a lot this season (usually when I have been there and the sun came out when I was back in the office!). Next week looks nice for the last week....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of the lifts in Zurs used to run quite late from recollection, 5.30 or so
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing heavily at village level, looks cloudy up top. Not sure I can be bothered to go up one lift to have a look around.

Used to get really excited by the fresh snow and couldn’t wait to get up there, but after yesterday I am not sure I am up for it as it’s looks even worse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Valluga wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@kitenski, @Valluga, rumour has it that Pub 37 is closing at the end of the season, not sure how accurate the rumour is.

Yes, Pub 37's final day will be 24th April. I'm not saying that St Anton is getting rid of all of its bars...just the good ones.

They have already got rid of at least 90% !!!

St Anton's status as legendry Apres SKi & Nightlife RIP ceased quite some seasons ago ...

You need to check the Gemeinde noise abatement policies... some of these meeting points of order are held in closed session and are not publicly available ..

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Its typical April end of Season weather .... Some of the best dumps of the season can come in April & May !!

We made our money (lots and lots ) from the Tourists emptying their pockets excepting Rip Off Prices Very Happy Very Happy ..... they have all left ... and the Mountain and end of season POW is all ours again Happy Happy

If the snow line really stays as predicted, this will be the biggest dump of the winter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Official Weather

Further Atlantic fault spurs, as well as low-pressure activity over Italy, will shape our weather patterns in the near future.

A strong cold front, which hits us in the night to Thursday and causes the snow line to sink below 1000m, also provides on Thursday in combination with a low over northern Italy for an unstable weather course. Friday brings us a slight interim improvement, but the too cool temperatures remain with us.

The weekend weather will be persistently hypothermic and cloudy. The sun is mostly hidden, but some precipitation is to be expected repeatedly.

The snow line oscillates between 1000m and 1500m above sea level. At the beginning of the new week we are on the edge of an Italian low in a less cool, but still quite humid northeast current. Loosening, partly high fog-like cloud conditions prevail.

However, it is expected to remain dry.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________--

@mheadbee,

The lifts (not all) open a bit earlier in the morning when the clocks changed on March 25th..

The season is winding down ater Easter Monday ...

Warth/Schröcken and Klösterle-Sonnenkopf: Closes this Sunday 16.04.23

From the 16 there will be fewer lifts in operation in St Anton..& Lech/Zurs

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dont Forget Railway Closure from this Friday for 5 days !!

ÖBB will carry out important maintenance work on the Arlberg railway line from 14 April (08:30 a.m.) to 19 April 2023 (03:00 a.m.). During the duration of the works, the line will be closed to train traffic. ÖBB is setting up a rail replacement service for passengers between the stations of Ötztal and Bludenz/Sargans.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was snowing and cloudy at resort level and knowing how my wife hates white outs and moguls, and how rubbish it was yesterday it took a while to get motivated.

I went up the nasserian (excuse my spelling I am going from memory) to check it out, vis was better than yesterday but everything was un bashed so I was skiing through slushy moguls at 10am.

Very disappointed with this, expensive lift passes and you don’t even groom them. I can manage it ok but it was a bit rubbish to be honest.

I decided to go up the riffelshaft side and this was also completely unabashed, crusty and slushy moguls left from yesterday. However on the plus side a mind boggling amount of off piste so I was happy as Larry for a couple of hours. The visibility fluttered between perfect and white out almost on a minute by minute basis.

Wife and kids a came up and joined me about midday and she did one run, absolutely hated the moguls and went straight back down after 1 solitary run. She is not a confident skier and her holiday has been ruined by the lack of piste bashing.

My daughter and I skied down the red from there and it was huge slushy moguls and you literally ground to a halt on the straights, it was weird how I went from 30 odd miles per hour to feeling like someone had thrown a rope around my waist on the flats, but it’s all part of April really.

We then went up I the grinzig I think it is called. By now visibility was wonderful and we skied the blue into st Christoph, it was nice but a bit like boarding on super glue at times as you literally stopped moving down a relatively steep blue. We took the lift up from there and skied the 55/56/50 back to resort. Very slushy and moguly but skiable.

We called it day after that.

I will ski anything in any condition, but my wife is hating this. We have skied April for many years and this is probably the worst conditions she has had, to not have skied for 2 consecutive days is unheard of and all due to him ashes pistes.

In the town every shop and virtually every restaurant is shut, people in our hotel are struggling to find places to eat in the evening.

It is the last week of the season so we do get that and understand people are winding down, but this is still a very expensive holiday and 22 quid for two pints of beer (2/3 beer and 1/3 head) and 1 Diet Coke is not cheap.

We have skied France for 10 years in April and it has been fantastic, I am not saying I won’t do St Anton again but I will never ever do it in April again, feeling like a bit of a side show to be honest.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mheadbee I know what you mean, I am a piste skier myself. Enjoying all conditions and all colours.
In St. Anton I met the mightiest moguls (usually on steeper pistes from lunchtime) and learned to overcome them but not with a smile yet.
I still love that place and return each winter, in January or early March.
IMHO April is indeed for France, Tarentaise valley.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might switch my January lads trip to here as the off piste lives up to its reputation for sure.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mheadbee, Grimzig is the correct spelling

Imo St Anton is an off piste resort, never rated the pistes or lift system apart from zurs, but in fairness the off piste is superb particularly with a guide or with enough local knowledge to access the longer routes

Don't know conditions on the ground but it may have made sense not to bash pistes given snowfall. I remember being in Chamonix before I was converted to off piste and cursing the "typical lazy French" for not bashing a piste with a foot of fresh powder on it. I was so angry. Now I dream of such things!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was probably 3-4 CM fresh on piste. The moguls are huge from the last 2 days, pretty much un-skiable unless you enjoy moguls really. In the morning it feels like 4pm in France in 30 degrees. Nothing has been bashed and it really didn’t snow that much last night,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mheadbee,Galzig is the main centre above the village and the start of the run down to St Christof. It has looked pretty grim for the past few days and no sign of it getting better before the weekend, I might feel a few pangs of jealousy next week once the sun comes out but at the moment happy to be in the warm & dry. Large soft moguls are a common complaint on the home runs and various other places but they have usually gone in the mornings. The Arlberg is not an ideal area for those who want to stick to piste skiing the "best" bits are the ski routes & off piste. In truth neither is it a good place for early or late season holidays (day trips in good weather can be really nice), Ischgl is much better although I would imagine that is pretty miserable too at the moment given the lack of skiing below the tree line. In decent conditions (which is most years) earlier in the season it is one of the best spots around, come back with your mates next January and you are likely to have a great time (though save up for beer money!).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, agreed, there are plenty of places in the Alps which are suitable for April easy on piste cruising, St Anton is not one of them IMO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mheadbee, Are you sure there was no bashing overnight?
You are aware that when it doesn't freeze at night, and it is warm early, the moguls come early too? Even worse when there has been snowfall in the early morning. They simply can't bash the complete area in the early morning....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deffo no bashing. I have skied at Easter for over 10 years and had mammoth dumps in VD and VT in the past, you can see the bashers up the hill at night,

Here you go up on the first lift and it is slushy moguls, it has not been bashed. They have basically checked out for the summer.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 13-04-23 9:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
@mheadbee, Grimzig is the correct spelling

Imo St Anton is an off piste resort, never rated the pistes or lift system apart from zurs, but in fairness the off piste is superb particularly with a guide or with enough local knowledge to access the longer routes

Don't know conditions on the ground but it may have made sense not to bash pistes given snowfall. I remember being in Chamonix before I was converted to off piste and cursing the "typical lazy French" for not bashing a piste with a foot of fresh powder on it. I was so angry. Now I dream of such things!

The lifts here are very good, new, fast, heated and covered. Compared to pds for example which feels like the 1980’s in many areas.

The only thing I don’t like here is it all feels a bit disjointed, lots of ski areas being dragged together by ski lifts rather than a huge area. We have travelled to Zürs a couple of times and my wife is scared of the steep reds and moguls so we have to do 3 long lifts to get back. A bit like morzine getting to avoriaz.

The big French resorts are easier to navigate and you can just bomb off and worry about where you are at 4 pm, here you are always looking at you watch,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mheadbee, The Arlberg is rather different to the typical large French area. There are no dense networks of lifts and pistes, it has evolved from a number of separate areas of nearby villages, hence the links between them are not great compared to say PDS or Saalbach Hinterglemm . Things have changed a lot in recent years. Warth is a fairly new addition (2015??), the Flexenbahn replaced a rather ropey bus link (it can still be quicker to get the bus between St Anton & Zürs) and Madloch & Zug have only just replaced the venerable slow & cold chairlifts there. There is a huge amount of skiing available in the snowiest area of the alps but it does not suit everyone especially those who like the typical "French" style resort. It covers a huge area, it was planned to be even bigger with a link up to Kappl in the Paznauntal but that was blocked by a court decision.
latest report
interesting discussion on grooming, they do groom, but I can't see if they publish a grooming report on what slopes were done as I know some of the French places do?

@mheadbee, funny you think it's a load of ski areas dragged together, as that's what it is!! Not so long ago Zurs and Lech were connected by bus only and Warth wasn't connected at all! It's a different mind set to French skiing IMHO, you pick an area to head to for the day and ski that area then head home, ie one day we skied Rendl, skied St Anton trees in a bad vis day, had a day out in Lech, a day in Warth etc etc
ski holidays
@mheadbee, "..
The big French resorts are easier to navigate and you can just bomb off and worry about where you are at 4 pm, here you are always looking at you watch,... "

Naaahh .. The Arlberg is pants! Best tell everyone to go ski in France! Toofy Grin

St Anton town is the best base to ski the St Anton areas, but geographically it is not in the Arlberg but the West Tyrol. As such St Anton is at one end/extreme of the Arlberg ski area. Personally I like to stay (some of the time) in Stuben, especially now there is the Flexenbahn, which gives fast access to Zurs way ahead of the skiers/boarders based in St Anton. Usually I do Fly/Drive, which in the past has allowed quick access to Zurs car park which is virtually mid-point of the ski areas, and has frequently the better snow conditions and fastest route into Lech and beyond, such as Shrocken and Warth with some lovely skiing of their own at the other extreme of the ski areas. The Arlberg is a pretty big area and nothing like the PDS, it's proper mountain villages linked with (now) a very modern lift system, that has created quite a diverse set of lift served ski terrain. You either "get" the Arlberg or you don't. Cool
ski holidays
@mheadbee, in St.Anton you can't see the bashers up the hill simply because you can't see most of the hill...
Find it hard to believe there is no bashing in the Easter week....Sounds like Arlberg/St.Anton is not your wife's cup of tea (she's not alone in that, far from it), maybe that's the biggest issue here? Bus to Lech works better for her probably. The old fashioned way, until 2017, before Flexenbahn... talking about connections...
latest report
The big French resorts are easier to navigate and you can just bomb off and worry about where you are at 4 pm, here you are always looking at you watch,[/quote]

Why are you comparing ST a to some french resort. its chalk and cheese. Austrian resorts are based in real villages that existed long before anyone tied 2 planks to their feet. hence full of character and charm. French Ski areas are built high on the snow fields well above existing villages( Val d'isere being an exception) and are characterless. but if you prefer the fake and dull. stay in France!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 14-04-23 13:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
How dry is that snow that is coming down right now. it looks great on the Cams!!!
latest report
Absolute EPIC Dump of the Season circa 60cm new up on Galzig !

80 litres of rain per square metre in Vorarlberg since Wednesday Very Happy

Get here now .....ready for Altitude POW turns on Monday Tuesday !!

Freeze level remains around 1100-1200 Mtrs

Blue Skies here now but temp is below freezing -3.5C at 16:30 on Gampen ...

Spingtime April Delivers again...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note. To all the Carpet skiers who have swapped France for the Arlberg ... Please go back to France .. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We dont need groomed slopes & and carpet skier prices in the Arlberg...

If you really need to ski Austria go To Seefeld Saalbach Zell an See... Very Happy

Standby for the €9 Bier 0.5L next season .. Shocked

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Tomorrow (Saturday) the annual Longboard Classic up on Albona

The party starts tonight in the Hotel Mondschein in Stuben

https://www.longboardclassic.com/

https://www.facebook.com/LongboardClassic
ski holidays
Into the Final week of the Official Season... and we have had another dump...

It started during Saturday night and snowed all of yesterday .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Easy 30cms min new above 2200M

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Limited Lift operations this Final Week....

Rendl has remained open for some early morning Private POW Very Happy Very Happy

Griabli is Open until the last day Sunday April 23rd

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Next Saturday Das legendäre Skirennen ""Der weisse Rausch"

After the Lifts Close Start time 17:00

555 skiers, snowboarders and telemarkers set off for the mass start at Vallugagrat.

Details

https://der-weisse-rausch.at/at

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://youtube.com/v/rzO782AZaPc
snow report
Better late than never!
snow report
Am I right in thinking this wasn't mentioned yet:

This summer the new Albona I gondola is finally coming:
https://www.stuben-arlberg.at/winter/Neubau-Albonabahn-I/
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for the update. I must say that, selfishly, I'd prefer that Stuben remained something of a backwater. The existing chair, despite being slow and cold in mid winter, is almost a serene journey up the mountain landscape.
snow report
@davidthornton, Not sure it will make much difference to the number of people but like you I quite liked the journey in the chair through the landscape. No doubt the Schindler gondola is quicker and more comfortable on cold days but I do miss the old chair, there was much more of a connection with the environment.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
Am I right in thinking this wasn't mentioned yet:

This summer the new Albona I gondola is finally coming:
https://www.stuben-arlberg.at/winter/Neubau-Albonabahn-I/

Your a bit late to the Piste today !!

Page 1 on here back in September

stanton wrote:
a bit delayed but the First snow haas fallen ..... last SundayNight/Monday the peaks were dusted !!

Bit of news about replacement of Albona 1 (up from Stuben village)

with 8 Man Gondola

There is Gemeinde meeting on Monday to discuss the application (works required) & hear objections (nature) but if none it is a GO .

https://vorarlberg.at/documents/302033/1784557/II-960-73-2022%2C+Verhandlung+am+19.09.2022.pdf/7016dd40-9ad2-136c-d4d9-b0d4be8ae2b6?t=1662388120434

The new Mountain Station will be 200metre lower siutated next to the Albona Restaurant

This is the Terrible News now confirmed .... Another take your skis of Cabin lift for the snowflake tourists who should stay in France

100'S of trees will have to be cut down..

Good to see Stuben has offered a translation service to many languages excluding Englisch !!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Der Weisse Rausch 2023

Live Streaming Starts at 16:00 CET TODAY !!

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/de/events/winter/der-weisse-rausch

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally ..I wouldnt normally do this but exception.. for this lengendry well known 90's skibum settled with family in St Anton I you can Help Fanghouse "Hase" . Go Fund Me Link

Fanghouse is doing a special extra Live Music even on Tuesday 2th April

https://www.facebook.com/fanghouse2

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-hasses-road-to-recovery?

New post Sat 22 Apr, 23
10:48 Reply with quote Edit-post Delete-post
latest report
Surely we're all snowflake tourists?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, Maybe your German is not good enough? When you read the article well you are referring to, on September 1. clearly not all was definitive about Albona I
(And the fact that Albona I was going to be replaced was anounced years ago...)
So it's you that has not been paying attention....again...
ski holidays
A helmet-cam view of Der weisse Rausch
http://youtube.com/v/5C89VaKIv-A

Listening to the guy’s breathing was making me feel tired! The obstacle course at the end was brutal - insult to injury. Very Happy

For a very light high season, April certainly delivered the goods.
latest report
Obviously very heavy slow conditions. Sections of it you'd normally be flying along, especially just above Ulmerhutte, then the left turn and the following schuss.
There must be records kept of the times over the years. Wonder how yesterday compared.
snow report
Last day of the season ..

Let the May Touring begin .....

Benefit xtra after season Live Music Gig in Fanghouse on Tuesday !!!

@Langerzug, listen up lady .. From memory (i have not checked) I was posting about Albona 1 back on 2015/2016 Snow report thread and about the further development of Albona ...

Enjoy your summer and look forward to your next seasons Oberlech gastomonie Vacation . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
stanton wrote:
From memory (i have not checked) I was posting about Albona 1 back on 2015/2016 Snow report thread and about the further development of Albona ...

Exactly, you were copying the info provided around the news about Flexenbahn, because new Albona 1 was announced already back then too.
Everybody here in the forum knows for years already it was coming, and awaiting confirmation.
But you clearly missed the latest news...No problem whatsoever of course, the only rather sad thing is that you are actively denying it, and start spreading unrelated sad remarks to compensate. Reminds me...
Sad, very sad.
snow report
From an FB post:

Quote:
It is with devastating sadness that I have to announce the closing of Pub37. After nearly 50 years of serving Beer, Jagermeister, Hot Chinese and everything else to our wonderful locals, regular guests and first timers, our doors are now closed. Our lease has not been renewed. Husbands and wives first met at pub, children conceived, sons and daughters now party where their parents partied, friends discovered, friends reunited, and friends lost. Phantom, Hannes, Ken and Family Kertess thank you all for the wonderful times had over the many years. If the walls of Pub37 could talk Hollywood would explode. I have added some recent Pub37 photos below and I would ask you all to add your own favourites. Pub37 is gone but let the spirit live on.........
ski holidays
Thank you all for the varied interesting and often exciting posts , am missing the ski- season already but looking forward to when it all starts up again - especially the amusing posts here . Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Have a great summer one and all .
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
From an FB post:

Quote:
It is with devastating sadness that I have to announce the closing of Pub37. After nearly 50 years of serving Beer, Jagermeister, Hot Chinese and everything else to our wonderful locals, regular guests and first timers, our doors are now closed. Our lease has not been renewed. Husbands and wives first met at pub, children conceived, sons and daughters now party where their parents partied, friends discovered, friends reunited, and friends lost. Phantom, Hannes, Ken and Family Kertess thank you all for the wonderful times had over the many years. If the walls of Pub37 could talk Hollywood would explode. I have added some recent Pub37 photos below and I would ask you all to add your own favourites. Pub37 is gone but let the spirit live on.........

It was expected but nonetheless sad, part of the ongoing change in the village, less and less "real" places more high end kit shops & restaurants (how many ski jackets do you really need?). Much more and the character of the place will very much change for the worse (unless you happen to own one of the 4 star hotels....)
latest report
@munich_irish, agree. Whilst apres was/is not a thing for me, I appreciated that it was part of the fabric of St Anton. I fear where StA is headed: a village of cheap to build, but expensive to stay in, largely soulless appartements.
snow conditions
Tis a shame that the new Albona gondola won't have a mid station and then continue to the top. And a snowboarding dream heading back to raus if they put the mid station by the middle restaurant.
snow report
End of the Season madness

The Climate "Crazies" have reached St Anton blocking the B197 and S16 Exit...

The Arlbergtunnel is closed until October 6th therefore all vehicles have to navigate the ArlbergPaß....

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/klima-aktivisten-blockierten-die-arlbergpassstrasse_a6013305?

https://www.krone.at/2992086
snow report
@what...snow, @what...snow, I'm off to Lech for the first time in a couple of weeks and have been doing some research on runs, food etc. I saw your photo ("Here's the nice scenery") from last year. What run/route is it? Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy