Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2022/2023 (Dec 2 - April 23)

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure that the Arlberg map is any worse or any better than elsewhere (I have read many folk complaining about the SkiWelt one). I always prefer a 2D top down map but I know many struggle with those and prefer something more illustrative. There is https://openskimap.org/#13.85/47.13764/10.24146 which I like but I know many wont.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As mentioned by others previous i'd probably nowadays use the app rather than a hard copy piste map, the piste map (like most other places isn't much good for detail). Never actually used a piste map in Arlberg and wouldnt have a clue what the numbering sequence is, you can generally see where you are headed next and take it as it comes regards blues/ reds and blacks, but in bad weather probably not a bad idea to have a piste map if you don't know the area....4-5 years ago the weather closed in so bad that we couldn't find Galzig top lift station from top of Osthang lift, pylons and overhead Valluga cables were all fogged out, up and down was all over the place and we overshot the lift station, Osthang closed and we had to hike back up. Another time was coming down Gampberg on Rendl in deep powder and whiteout, and ended up 100m away from the Rendl station, and was on top of the generator house before we realised where we were, all we could hear was the lift station and couldn't see anything, took ages to find the station. In both those situations a map wouldn't have helped much tbf. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Meltus, @what...snow,
The Arlberg map is designed by Heinz Vielkind, Austria best known skimap designer.
The map is as good as can be, given the chosen perspective, and the challenging lay out of the ski-area, the mountains and the important details.
And, last but not least, the struggle between St.Anton and Lech over what is shown in what way Toofy Grin, as referred to in this Spiegel article (German):
https://www.spiegel.de/reise/europa/skipisten-plan-maler-der-mann-der-die-karten-der-skigebiete-malt-a-1187979.html

But probably your biggest 'problem' is that your are new to the Arlberg, and want to understand everything right away Very Happy
Oberlech is difficult, simply because there are so many pistes, and pistes keep on crossing and meeting each other. Same on Kapall/Gampen, and also Galzig. It is not the map that is complicated, it is local reality that is complicated. It just takes time to get to know all corners!
Do also realize that there are 300 km pistes ànd 200 km of skiroutes in the map....

Ever been to Venice? Try finding your way there. Even with just a 2D map (!) it is quite impossible not to get lost in Venice, even as a regular....

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-04-23 12:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Langerzug, or Ischgl.....possibly the worst Austrian piste map I've ever used (take a look at those for Verbier, Chamonix and Zermatt, they are pretty useless ime or were when I was last there)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stunning day today. Chalky offpiste on Albona N side first thing, then some runs down sunny side above Albonagratbahn before skinning up to Maroikopf. Excellent spring snow on descent into Verwalltal. Some sections of carrying towards bottom of track to Resthaus Verwall, but can’t complain.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a trip up Galzig after skischool drop of and down to St Christoph but decided I didn’t like the firm pistes and went to Rendl. Did some nice stuff between the pistes, then had a massive fall on the bridge over the road Puzzled Then I met the Mrs and we went up Vallugabahn for some sightseeing. Took me 6 mins longer to ski to Galzig than her going down on the cable car. Much colder today. Subzero in the village after sundown.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We'll have to agree to disagree about the piste map Very Happy chamonix and verbier maps are streets ahead!

We went to Zurs yesterday and had a lovely time. Trittkopf first thing which was a bit crap - rock hard all the way. Some surprisingly good spring snow off madloch and decent enough soft chop (and cracking views!) off Muggengrat. Had lunch at seekopf which had it all imo - great views, delicious goulash and the most reasonably priced place we've found in the arlberg thus far (5.70e a large beer).

Pootled around the other side of the valley off hexenbahn in the afternoon which was pleasant enough. Pistes had softened a bit but not gone slushy as it was pretty cold all day.

Lech today, so suggestions welcome!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Meltus, 2 weeks ago the snow was noticeably better in warth than lech if you have time to get over there?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Meltus, Muggengratbahn and laps up/ down in the shade, also north facing above Zurs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Regarding the quality of piste maps in comparison, I think much depends on the arrangement of the topography of an area. Some ski areas consist, more or less of just two sides of a valley. or parallel valleys, in symmetry. In defence of St. Anton/Zurs/Lech the topographical arrangement of the terrain is very complicated compared to some other areas. So much harder to replicate in 2D printed map form.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@Meltus, 2 weeks ago the snow was noticeably better in warth than lech if you have time to get over there?

Another vote for Warth. Many more north-facing slope, some of which are shaded by the ridge that includes the Wartherhorn.

If you are in Lech, it is only another ~10 minutes to get across the Auenfeldjet and perhaps 3 - 5 mins on the Sonnenjet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Meltus, comparing Chamonix (100 km?) and Verbier (notorious kilometer cheater, no way 400 km) with Arlberg 500 km?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, +1.....also he'll be paying a lot more than 5.7e for a beer in Chamonix and Verbier, both places know how to charge excessively for poor quality beer and food. Loads of places cheaper than that in Arlberg.... Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well you arlbergians are clearly very proud of your piste map so I shall say no more! (though if you can let me know where I can get those beers cheaper than 5.70e I'm all ears) Very Happy Very Happy

Lech and Warth today, covered a fair amount of ground as we were almost exclusively on piste. We did one ski route (I think 241) which was gash so stuck to the pistes after that. Warth very scenic and blacks 251/2 were fun. Still all pretty icy though. Only the home runs are slushy as its still cold which is good.

Grostl in rud alpe which was damn tasty though not as good as seekopf yesterday.

Not sure what to do tomorrow? What are the runs off rufikopf like atm? Langerzug etc? Maybe go for a weissring round?

Ps I only mentioned cham and verbier as someone else above brought them up!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Meltus, Langerzug was similiar snow quality to the north facing black runs in Warth 2 weeks ago....make sure you check the
Schafalplift opening as it seems to be open/closed on alternate days when I was there mid March! Although the access to it was pretty obviously taped off when shut!
snow report
@Markymark29, 9 Euros for a beer in Verbier in Dec, 12 for a Punk!
snow conditions
Spar €1.19 for 500mls Ottakringer, €1.24 for Tegernsee Laughing
latest report
What’s pub37 prices like? Walked past it going to the spa on my last day and looked like my kind of place, small, cosy and sold Brewdog!
latest report
Meltus wrote:
Skied down 1 which was a slush fest but not without its charm. Went up Kappal in the afternoon and did ski route 40 which was OK if heavy higher up but utterly disgusting lower down.

I’ve honestly never found 40 fun. Done it a few times and the top was either bullet hard and/or the bottom was.
snow report
@kitenski, not sure exactly as we normally run up a tab over a few days, but it’s definitely reasonable.

I’ve had some of my best nights in that little place, from popping in for a quick drink in my 20’s (about 30 years ago) and leaving 8 hours later, to taking my dad there this year - his first experience of a ski resort. Even he didn’t complain about the prices in there!
ski holidays
@kitenski, @Valluga, rumour has it that Pub 37 is closing at the end of the season, not sure how accurate the rumour is.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@Markymark29, 9 Euros for a beer in Verbier in Dec, 12 for a Punk!

Blimey, where was that? Chf6.50 in Marmotte. 4chf in Pub Mont Fort happy hour 16:00 to 17:00.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, lumi I think and maybe alp and horn for the pint of punk!
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Langerzug, +1.....also he'll be paying a lot more than 5.7e for a beer in Chamonix and Verbier, both places know how to charge excessively for poor quality beer and food. Loads of places cheaper than that in Arlberg.... Laughing

Exactly. We skipped CH off the list for many years already. Too much Credit Suisse and all that. Toofy Grin
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@kitenski, @Valluga, rumour has it that Pub 37 is closing at the end of the season, not sure how accurate the rumour is.

Read my post on revious page !!

This has been an ongoing saga for the last few seasons ..
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Official Weather

Until Easter Sunday, our weather is under the influence of low pressure. On Saturday it will remain cloudy throughout the day and in the course of the day more showers will come from the north.

The snow line is around 1200m. For Sunday, there are now signs of a greater ray of hope. We start the day with slight disturbances, but soon the clouds can loosen up and give the sun more space.

The moderately cold temperature level remains with us. With a warming, as well as a significant interim improvement we start into the new week. Only harmless clouds mix with the sunshine. The next Atlantic disturbance will reach us on Tuesday.

In this context, the snow line drops below 1500m. For Wednesday a new, sunny intermezzo in the weather is announced.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arlberg Railway Closure

14 April (08.30 a.m.) to Wednesday, 19 April (03.00 a.m.). A rail replacement service with buses will be set up for customers.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arlberg Straßentunnel Summer Closure 2023 & 2024

On 24 April 2023, ASFINAG will begin comprehensive renovations on the almost five-decade-old carriageway in the Arlberg tunnel on the S16 Arlberg expressway. Therefore, in thesummer months of 2023 and 2024, this most important road connection between Tyrol and Vorarlberg will be closed for several months.
latest report
From an FB post:

Quote:
The underground is no more!! Joan is having a Easter sale, selling off antiques,music, memorabilia and much more.. 14:00- 18:00 Easter sunday & Monday!!! Come down one last time…
snow report
@ulmerhutte, can’t imagine there much in there worth buying, the place was falling apart last time I was in there 5 years ago wink
ski holidays
It was snowing when we left St Anton this morning. Almost all the green bits on the slopes above the village had turned white again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@what...snow, https://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_stanton

The rain has turned "off-piste" back to brown/khaki, the bottom of Galzig returns to the Easter slush-fest. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, the kids refused to ski down to the bottom after their 3 days of lessons. We finished with the funslope via Tanzboden until they had enough then 52, Zammermoosbahn, ski across to the top of Galzigbahn and take the Funitel down. Much more sensible.

We skied to Warth on Thursday and the only bad slush was the slope down from Oberlech to Lech, where we got the bus back. My son didn’t like the bottom of the run back to Auenfeldjet much either. The other side of Saloner was much nicer. Should have thought and got the Cable Car down from Oberlech and a better seat on the bus.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@ulmerhutte, can’t imagine there much in there worth buying, the place was falling apart last time I was in there 5 years ago wink

I'd have the jazz statuettes though. Smile
snow conditions
@what...snow, the run from Zammermoos down to the Galzigbahn was leg breaking crap snow a couple of weeks back, cant see how it has changed since, a lot more pleasant to take the lift down. Typically in April it is only worth skiing the upper slopes (which can be very good) unless you are participating in the final day "race"
latest report
@munich_irish, +1 agreed, better putting in extra runs on the upper slopes than surfing slop.
snow conditions
Today was perfect for April!
Bit of powder and sunny!
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Joan has been selling off here stuff since the end of last season ...... She has to get out and move elsewhere ...

THe buidling will be levelled and the new owner will do there thing there .. Not a bar or restaurant...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a technique for skiing the heavy artificial slush like steeps moguls & POW you have to adjust your posture .... Main thing is to Relax and then ride it fast Very Happy Very Happy

Stop The Brutal Grooming !!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 weeks to go .. Snow this week !!

Official Weather

The good weather of Easter Monday will soon be a thing of the past. On Tuesday morning we start the day with disturbance influence. In the morning some precipitation is to be expected with disturbance passage, after noon there are still a few showers, especially along the mountains. The clouds hardly loosen up, the snow line drops only slightly below 2000m.

Wednesday will bring very varied weather. In the morning a warm front with some precipitation crosses us. Then comes up for a short time south foehn, which can provide sunny loosening north of the main Alpine ridge. Towards the evening, however, the advancing cold front already catches us with new precipitation.

The snow line drops below 1000m by Thursday morning. The late winter is therefore still not beaten. Sustainably colder air masses from the North Atlantic are now reaching us again.

Further snow showers are planned for Thursday. Friday will be mostly dry with a mix of some sun and many clouds. On Saturday, however, the shower activity is revived. Snow continues to fall close to 1000m.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:

Yes, Pub 37's final day will be 24th April. I'm not saying that St Anton is getting rid of all of its bars...just the good ones.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:

Yes, Pub 37's final day will be 24th April. I'm not saying that St Anton is getting rid of all of its bars...just the good ones.
snow report
Arrived on Saturday 8th April, first 2 days were bluebird, but icy first thing then slushy late on but that is what you get in April so no complaints here. Only disappointment is lifts closing at 4, usually I dump the family at 4 and do couple of hours on my own blasting around but the first 2 days has pretty much been driving miss Daisy and loooong stops every 5 mins for toilets and “I’m starving”. First time in Austria, in France in April lifts always stay open to 5.45-6.

Today was horrible, complete white outs at the top of every lift. Wife and son went straight down, daughter and I persisted. Basically 1 foot on piste and visibility down to 3 yards for most of the day. Had to take my board off and walk many times as you simply couldn’t see the edge of the piste or the markers.

Home runs were good once you got through the pea soup but the novelty ran out quite quickly.

Looks like more of the same for our last 3 days Eh oh!
latest report
mheadbee wrote:
First time in Austria, in France in April lifts always stay open to 5.45-6.

What resorts have lifts that run to 6pm?

From a quick Google Mt Vallon shuts at 4pm, some Tignes lifts seem to run to 5pm. Some lifts in Lech defo run to 5pm.
snow report
Les arc, Meribel, Courchevel, les rosier, val d.

I have skied all the above at Easter, they show last lift up as anything from 5.15 to 5.45 but have still been running up to 6.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy