Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decided on St Anton, but.....

Poster: A snowHead
Following a discussion on St Anton recently (thanks to everyone who contributed), I thought we (our group) had pretty much decided on it. However, some are now having second thoughts. This is mainly about the town (distances to ski lifts, centre etc from the mid priced hotels) and also whether it is really worth going for the piste skiing as the map doesn't look that great.

So, please help me! Firstly, no-one wants to spend more than £650 for a week in early March half board & flights. Can we get a good hotel for the fussy eaters in a decent location at this price? I also need to convince them that the piste skiing is as good as Saalbach etc.

Secondly and on a slightly different topic, we also love the look of Ischgl but the cost seems higher than that of St Anton but if we can get a decent hotel for £650 everyone would prefer to go there. Any suggestions, experiences welcomed.

Finally, I am so fed up with trying to please everyone, I'll take any other suggestions that meet the following:

1) Good, long runs for confident intermediates, a handful of less challenging runs for the nervous skiers.
2) A traditional (architecturally) resort.
3) A decent hotel 3-4 star for fussy eaters
4) Some decent apres ski.
5) 150-200km of piste.

For info, we've skiied Kitz, Saalbach, Zell am Zee, Mayrhofen, Ski Welt.

Mucho gracias.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton is a great resort. I stayed in a chalet about a 20 walk from the centre. There was a regular bus service and taxis are not expensive when going as a group. It is a nice-looking resort and a good night out. The piste skiing is great. However, if there are nervous skiers I would be wary of going there. Depends what you mean by nervous, but St Anton does get busy and very chopped up / bumpy, even on the blue runs. Anyone confident on more difficult blues and reds should be fine IMHO. The Rendl area is one of the quieter ski areas with easier runs if I remember correctly. I do not think it is suitable for absolute beginners or very timid skiers though.

Regarding other resorts, Serre Chevalier in France sounds like it would fit the bill. It covers a number of different villages, Monetier and Villeneuve being the prettier ones. The ski area is huge and you would not get bored in a week. There is a good variety of runs, from near horizontal green tracks to the steep and fast Olympic downhill run. There is also some really nice tree skiing to be had. I stayed in Villeneuve. Nightlife was not hectic, but has its fair share of small lively bars.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
conor, thanks, I think part of the problem in St Anton is that people want a short walk to the lifts and not the worry of buses etc.

I was looking at Serre Chev and it looks good. The only thing that put me off was the variable snow record in recent years as we would be going in early-mid March. Would this be a problem?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hayley t, What made you decide on St Anton in the first place?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hayley t, it's a while since I stayed in St Anton, but I've looked at it recently as we're intending to go there next year. There seems to be plenty of accomodation within easy reach of the lifts. There are lockers at the bottom of the main lifts, so skis can be left o/n and walking shoes/boots during the day if necessary. Nasserein gives alternative access to the lift system and is only a short walk from the fleshpots of downtown St A.

We're making our own travel and accomodation arrangements (we have to go at half term and it's much cheaper that way), so I've no idea what packages cost. It might be worth looking at doing that for your party. It may be cheaper, and you don't have the problems and unpleasantness of TO travel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hayley t, I went on the 6th March this year. I was worried about the snow record as they had a bad year last year. However, it was awesome, with some really good powder days. We also had some beginners with us and there was loads for them to do. I loved it. While the resorts are lowish, the good thing is that there are plenty of lifts above 1800metres and you could spend all day up there.

You sound quite particular about what you want and Serrev Che ticks all the right boxes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take it from someone who also organises groups: if you offer everyone a choice and try to please everyone it turns into a decision by committee and nothing gets decided!! When I organise trips I tell people where "we" are going and they either come along or they don't!

Going back to your predicament, you could try the Gastein valley (Bad Gastein, Baf Hofgastein etc):

1) loads of intermediate skiing, altho most of the easy blues are above Bad Hofgastein;
2) Bad Gastein very traditional, altho more of a towny rather than ski village feel;
3) loads of hotels;
4) Bad Gastein apres okay, but probably not on a par with Saalbach. Can't comment on Bad HofG;
5) lots of piste mileage in total but split into five areas only two of which are lift-linked (ski-bus or taxi to others).

Unf it sounds like you are taking some lazy sods who are likely to moan if they have to walk to the lifts - the Gastein area is definitely not ski-in-ski-out and walking or bus rides are almost unavoidable. On the other hand it is relatively good vfm compared to a lot of resorts.

Further afield I suppose Courchevel 1850 would tick most of your boxes but it ain't cheap, is it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
conor, I will look into accommodation, thanks for the info.

the ice perv, I know the group booking thing is a nightmare and usually I just choose the resort which is what I did with St Anton but I have a few rebellious people to please! I went to Bad G this Christmas and really enjoyed it. I would be happy to take the group there as we stayed at the Salzburger Hof which was close to the lift. I plan to short list this resort for the vote! As for Courcheval, the cost of drink and lunch when we get there is also an issue and I have concerns about ending up paying massive prices for lunch etc, which is partly why I've ruled out Val D., Zermatt and Verbier also.

kosciosco, we love Austria and have skiied most of the larger resorts in Salzburg region and Tyrol and we presumed that the next place to progress to was St Anton for both a bit more of a challenge and the usual apres ski etc. Cost wise it's more expensive and if we end up going I think we'll go for the DIY option. Ischgl also seems to fit the bill but again the tour op prices are high and I know less about this place so I'm not so sure about the DIY option.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hayley t, the St Anton piste map may not look very impressive, but there is more than enough to keep any intermediate/advanced skier busy for a whole week, especially if you factor in a day or two in Lech/Zurs.

To be honest if you're going as a group, you enjoy a bit of apres ski/nightlife, and you are all competent skiers, then I think that you would be missing out if you choose somewhere else. Ischgl is nice, so is the Gastein valley, but St Anton doesn't have it's reputation as one of the world's best resorts for nothing.

On the mountain prices aren't too bad as long as you don't go mad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was VERY impressed with St Anton when went in March this year. The walk from one end, Nasserain to St Anton the other wasn't too bad and the uplift out of the villages seemed OK, we stopped at the Nasserain end so had a great gondola a minute from our door. Can't really answer question on hotels as we B&b'd. Most of the runs to village are steep or busy tracks, but for good intermediates and above it's great, I'd agree with Kramer, that there's alot more to do than would first appear, even over past the Stuben area is an OK size on it's own and very quiet!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hayley t,
Quote:
Finally, I am so fed up with trying to please everyone, I'll take any other suggestions that meet the following:
been there, done that, gave up Mad
I wouldn't let yourself be put off from going to St.Anton. As Kramer says, the piste map is deceptive, and there is plenty there to keep everybody happy for at least a week, as long as they are not complete beginners.

I would also consider trying to find something in Nasserein instead of St.Anton. Might be easier to get something close to the lifts. On the other hand, five minutes walk in the morning never killed anyone!

Just go. Those that want to come can come. Those that don't can sort themselves out with something on their own Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you have reservations with St Anton then Ischgl might be a better choice for your group.

St Anton is a great place but it is what it is..that is that its a premier off-piste destination which will be skied out by the time you get to it...lively apre-ski that starts on the hill at KK or Moose and continues into the night... You will pay second fiddle to the host of ski bums there but at least that shows that somethings can be cheap. they can't all be poncing...there are too many..!!

You don't go to St A for the motorways there are plenty better for that. And there is no getting away from the long drawn out valley...but if you can get near to the centre then you should be ok to walk it...and noisey...!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hayley t, judging by your list it looks like you're big Austria fans. If you want miles and miles of intermediate crusing, have you considered the Salzburger Sportwelt (aka Sportwelt Amade) - a massive area linking Flachau, Wagrain, St. Johann-Alpendorf, Radstadt, Altenmarkt-Zauchensee, Kleinarl, Eben and Filzmoos.
Or the Schladming area is also pretty big and well linked up now.
I agree with JT that you don't go to St Anton for the on-piste long-distance cruising, although it's not bad for that. Also, the runs returning to the village are notoriously busy at the end of the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hayley t, can't comment on St Anton, but I highly recommend Ischgl.

I went for a w/e at the end of March and thoroughly enjoyed the place.
The mountain, the village, the apres, the accomodation - all great.

Your problem is probably the cost via the UK tour ops - I have managed to book a week next year (10th March) via Inghams Early-Bird 2007.
650 quid HB (inc carriage + flight supps). You might want to check out any availability.
There is a caveat with the booking - if the price in the first edition brochure is over 10% more than the earlybird price, Inghams reserve the right to charge you the new brochure price.

We did the weekend DIY - fly to Munich, hire a car and drive to Ischgl.
Accomodation was booked over the net - booking for a w/e is very difficult as the hotels want to try to fill up their rooms for whole weeks.
There did seem to be some good prices for whole week bookings which included a lift pass.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hayley t, Schladming would be another option to tick all of your boxes.

edit:
Just seen that Martin Bell has also suggested Schladming. If you are DIY'ing, then it is an easy train journey from Salzburg, with cheapish Ryanair flights possible...

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 1-06-06 12:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
St anton sounds great for what you want - it wont be too badly crouded at that time and everyone who i know that has gone has loved it. It is regarded by most as the best resort in Austria. It has got everything; good skiing, great apres ski and its a nice town and not too expensive. I wish i was going Wink
ski holidays
hayley t, How many of you are there in your group? Are you set on a hotel rather than a chalet? If there are enough of you to take over a whole chalet you could request exactly what suited your fussy eaters for dinner. If you might be interested in a chalet have a look at our website www.skialacarte.co.uk as we would be happy to accommodate your needs and give special discounts to Snowheads. Think that all your criteria would be filled ski wise in Alpe D'Huez - ie long intermediate runs and great easily accessible confidance building areas. Not only that but the chalet is ski-in ski-out so no walking required at all. If you would like any more information please PM me and I'd be happy to help Very Happy
snow conditions
katski, but the problem with anywhere in France is that it will always fail point 4 - decent apres.
ski holidays
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

We are shortlisting the following:

Serre Chevalier
St Anton (still hoping!)
Ischgl
Schladming

stephen bleakley, can you recommend a hotel in Ischgl? And is the beer and mountain food expensive? We are used to paying around £5 for a plate of pasta, tiroler grostl etc.
snow conditions
hayley t, you're being too democratic about this (if you don't mind me saying so). You organise it, you choose, they come, or not. When they organise it, they can choose. Worked for us when I took ski hols with big groups of chums.

And tell them to stop worrying about the cost of a plate of grub. They're on hols, for god's sake. If it costs £6, it won't kill them.

Harrumph. Young people to day. Bring back national service.
ski holidays
richmond, Usually they just do as they're told but this year everyone was a bit disappointed with the hotel in Saalbach so I'm having to deal with a bit of a revolt. Plus, one person is deciding to be a bit tight this year and has fixed a budget which makes my job even harder as the rest of us are a bit more flexible regarding price.

This is the last time! Someone else can do it next year. I reckon they think it's easy but it's not as simple as booking a holiday for 2, plus I have to find a hotel with a single room. Mad
snow conditions
hayley t, good luck. You're obviously a kind and patient person.
latest report
stephen bleakley wrote:
We did the weekend DIY - fly to Munich, hire a car and drive to Ischgl.
Accomodation was booked over the net - booking for a w/e is very difficult as the hotels want to try to fill up their rooms for whole weeks.

Had the exact same problem with short term accommodation in Ischgl, so gave up in the end and went to Italy Confused What accommodation did you find in the end (hotel name and website would be appreciated!)
snow report
Ischgl have plenty of rich Germans to pay their hotel prices so don't have to tolerate UK TO's dictating prices... and if your lot weren't too happy wth the hotel in Sallbach that has blown your budget.. a 4* in Ischgl will probably be more... I'd go direct to the resort and get a flight to Zurch etc. And in this instance I would go to Ischgl..!!

I've had the same thing, people want a cheap hol but then don't want the accomodation you find for their price. If it is couples involved I would pick something that you can live with, think 4* and let the cheapo's drop out or not. You'll only get grief about the rooms or the food anyway... At least budget that part out of the equation...you don't want people moanin about this and that, its your holiday too.. If the women in the group thinks its lovely and romantic etc, then the blokes will be more than happy. If its all guys then get them a pension and save the money for beer, the room is only a crash pad anyway..and if thats the case, go to St A, but don't expect to pull... the ratio isn't good Laughing
snow report
hayley t, Dave Burt, the only hotel I can recommend is the one I stayed in - http://www.fliana.at/english/index_winter.shtml
Although most of the accomodation I saw looked of a high standard.
This hotel is great if you want to ski to the door (virtually). But is not right in the centre of the town - so you can get a airport-style travelator though a tunnel channelled though the mountain which takes you to the pedestrianised main street.

Can't remember the prices for food on the mountain, but I'm sure it wasn't as expensive as Val D (where I went earlier in the season).

Beer costs vary depending on where you drink - I was paying 3E for a bottle of Becks in one of the popular apres bars.
I'm sure it was dearer in the nighclubs, but I wasn't paying too much attention to the prices by that stage in the night.
snow report
JT, Suprisingly, some of the 4* hotels in Ischgl are a bit cheaper than Saalbach so that's not a problem, the issue is finding a hotel with a single room, half board etc. I rang Inghams to see if they could get one for us and I just got the standard answer from a woman who blatantly couldn't be bothered which was all the incentive I needed to look at DIY option. BA now fly to Innbruck but their Sat -Sat prices are astronomical, Sun-Sun however is about £100 return. The next problem is getting to Ischgl as none of us have experience driving in such conditions and there is no train so I think we'd look at sharing a taxi. By the way, with the exception of one we are all couples so the St Anton factor doesn't apply! Ischgl is now top of the list so I'm going to have a go at that first.

Regarding food, we all like to settle down and relax from about 8-9pm onwards after some heavy apres ski so we do like good food and a nice atmosphere hence going for a 4 star.

stephen bleakley, thanks for the link and info, beer wise we can handle those prices as most of the apres ski is done earlier in the evening. If you can't remember the food prices on the mountain that's usually a good sign because if they were expensive then you'd remember!

Everyone, thank you so much for the help, you've made my life a lot easier and I now feel as if I'm getting somewhere.
snow conditions
hayley t, I've organised a few group holidays, generally I would say that you have to offer the choice to the group. Either they can have a cheap holiday, or they can have a more luxurious holiday, but they can't have both.

I still think it's a shame to pass up the opportunity to go to St Anton.
latest report
hayley t, FWIW, I stayed here in Ischgl last season. It was very pleasant and reasonably central, but I think they tend to get booked up with Germans. The website seems to have a good number of hotels - that is how I found this one anyway...

I drove from Zurich and it took about 2.5 hours. Alternatively, Friedrichstafen would be closer than that.

If you don't want to drive, there are trains to Landeck, then you'd get a taxi - Ischgl is about 20 mins away iirc .

One thing that caught me out was that paying for lift passes was cash or Maestro only.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stephen bleakley, many thanks for the link. Looks quite pricey for a B&B! Definitely an option for a long weekend next season though. Ta.
snow report
hayley t, the drive from Innsbruck to Ischgl isn't too bad.
There are no real winding roads up a mountain (as per many French places) as the resort is on the valley floor.
I can't vouch for the journey in snow though as the roads were clear when we went.
snow report
Dave Burt, I think it inflates it's prices due to it's position at the bottom of the slopes and right next to 2 of the 3 gondolas from the village.
But we couldn't be too picky - It was one of the only places who would accept our reservation and we were determined to go there for the w/e.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, Albona is on my list (offered by Inghams), currently offered at just over £720 half board for a week before discount. Unfortunately, I can't get a single room, just doubles.
latest report
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice. We have now booked Ischgl for 10/3/07 staying at the Jagerhof with a single room booked at the Dorfschmeide nearby and dinner taken with us at the Jagerhof. Cost is approx. £660, so everyone is happy. Even me, as the piste map and lift network does look top notch!

Ray Zorro, thanks for the tip regarding lift passes, we will take cash. Also, the tour op seems to charge an extorionate amount in their brochure (£180), but when I looked on the Ischgl web site it worked out at £120-140 for an area lift pass. Is this correct?
latest report
conor wrote:
St Anton is a great resort. I stayed in a chalet about a 20 walk from the centre. There was a regular bus service and taxis are not expensive when going as a group. It is a nice-looking resort and a good night out. The piste skiing is great. However, if there are nervous skiers I would be wary of going there. Depends what you mean by nervous, but St Anton does get busy and very chopped up / bumpy, even on the blue runs. Anyone confident on more difficult blues and reds should be fine IMHO. The Rendl area is one of the quieter ski areas with easier runs if I remember correctly. I do not think it is suitable for absolute beginners or very timid skiers though.
Hope this helps.

STANTON is a great resort, yet one thing you should be aware of is that it is steeper than other resorts. The saying is that RED in St. Anton is like BLACK everywhere else. STANTON has the most challenging reds I have ever tried, and I would not recommend it for nervous skiers. Skullie Shocked
ski holidays
hayley t,

Friedrichshafen airport is 166 k (2 hours) away from Ischgl and is nice and cheap with Ryan Air. There is a windy mountain road up to the resort but it's not one of the massive drop off variety so unless you're all rubbish drivers I'm sure one of you could manage it!

There are shed loads of lovely hotels in Ischgl with fantastic half-board and the apres is without a doubt the best in the Alps ... St Anton seems fairly tame in comparison (I've been to both a lot). I think the beer is cheaper in Ischgl as well but my memory is a bit foggy on that front so I could be wrong!!

Hotel Romantica is a good one .. right next to the piste and a couple of fine apres bars. http://www.romantica.at/
About 120€ pppn half-board which would come inside your budget if you get a reasonable priced flight.

The pistes in Ischgl are much friendlier than St Anton and although there is probably less off piste I prefer it because it gets skied out much less quickly as there are far fewer powder hounds hanging around and is of the less scary variety (although one of my mates did manage to fall down a 10 foot hole there in March!!).

Lastly there are far fewer Brits in Ischgl although there are more going every year.
latest report
Quote:

Lastly there are far fewer Brits in Ischgl although there are more going every year.

Yes this should only help put up the prices as the Brits are perceived (By the Austrains) to have all the money right now Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy