Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica HF Rear Entry Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
I see there's now more information coming out about the Nordica HF rear entry boots.

Apparently the HF stands for 'Hands Free'.

I'm not convinced they're going to be as good as a decent pair of ski boots with buckles but it will be interesting to see how well they turn out. It looks to me as if they're trying to position them as ski boots for people who just want to ski, not worry about equipment.

Promo video here:

http://youtube.com/v/51f9HTUHDFc

ISPO show discussion here:

http://youtube.com/v/eQ07i_DDcu8
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tried them on at the trade show, and yes, you can put them on hands free. Thought they look pretty good - kinda like a park boot. Choice of flexes and an option for a Thermic heatedliner. I think CEM is already selling them. I believe the big benefit is for those with very limited dorsiflexion &/or other issues who would have otherwise needed a custom made boot like a Daleboot etc.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 6-03-20 22:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I will probably never use them but there is a real market for them.
Lots of skiers just want an easy to use and comfortable boot.
They are not looking for a high performance boot, not looking for the best control either.

I think it will do well....just not with many snowHeads
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A chum is already sizing up the Atomics and Nordicas as he has two fused Ankles.

I think Atomic are aiming more at the “comfortable long lunch” market wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was wondering when rear entries would make a comeback. Not ready for 'em yet, but eventually I'm going to need something like these if I want to keep going. Seems a natural product for the aging skier population. I liked my Hansons many years ago. No socks needed!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@1:55 ish, " HF means hands free" cut to bloke putting boot on and using his hand to close the front buckle......

I totally see the market, and it looks a decent liner.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1

I too see a market for them. Many people just want to enjoy a holiday in the snow, but have little interest in pushing the envelope, extreme skiing, high performance, etc. They stay on the pistes, take relaxed breaks, etc. A boot that offers comfort and convenience is likely to appeal to people in that demographic,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
... Seems a natural product for the aging skier population. ...
This.

Very carefully marketed.
"These'll see me out" would probably not be the marketing slogan they started out with, but...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As an "aging skier" I'm definitely interested. I've been skiing in my Salomon SX72s since the late 80s and wouldn't consider anything other than rear entry so I am delighted they are starting up a similar design again as I don't know how much longer my vintage boots will last. I ski for enjoyment not performance but I do ski from 1st to last lift each day without a break (other than on the lifts) so comfort is paramount.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kowal.Ski wrote:
As an "aging skier" I'm definitely interested. I've been skiing in my Salomon SX72s since the late 80s and wouldn't consider anything other than rear entry so I am delighted they are starting up a similar design again as I don't know how much longer my vintage boots will last. I ski for enjoyment not performance but I do ski from 1st to last lift each day without a break (other than on the lifts) so comfort is paramount.

My Story - which may, or may not help.

When I started skiing in the 70s, I found Hire Clip boots instruments of torture, that left me with cramp and bruised/bleeding shins...then one holiday in La Plagne in the early 80s, I saw these new boots from Salomon, called the SX80. I exchanged my hired clip boots for some, happily paying the extra premium. I had my first pain free skiing for years.

I went straight home and bought some in Jackson Sports in Belfast. These were replaced some years later by some Nordica 955 and then some SX95.

When I next needed Boots, I took the plunge - and with much trepidation went for the mid entry Salomon Integral 8.2 - which gave me 15+ years of pain free skiing. I hung onto them, as I was terrified of going back into a "proper" front entry 4 clip boot. The fear of these 4 clip boots was as profound as my fear of dentists (due to having fillings as a kid, with no numbing injection).

Then on one holiday to Tignes around 2016, the rubber heel pad on one boot was so dozed, that it fell off during a snowstorm. I didn't notice and clipped into the binding, with nothing but the metal heel studs clipping into the heel binding. I was lucky not to have a serious accident. I only became aware of what had happened, when taking off the ski and noticed the plastic plate attached to the ski brake, was damaged - so investigated further.

I then went to JoJo, the legendary Bootfitter in Tignes - and he put me in the best fitting, most comfortable boots I have owned - and they are the 4 Clip, front entry Atomic Hawx.

So this is my (very) long winded way of saying a) A correctly fitted Front Entry Boot can be very comfortable and b) Don't risk skiing in your ancient boots, as even though they may look OK, they have the potential to land you in a serious accident.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 23-04-22 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks. I am definitely on the market for replacing my old boots (which is how I got here) but as I said I will only consider rear-entry. I've skied in both types and as for comfort while skiing - I see little difference but in my opinion there is no comparison when considering convenience and ease of operation when not skiing - which matters to me. Others may disagree but I'm not trying to convert anyone - I was just saying that I'm a huge fan of rear-entry boots and really welcome the reintroduction of them as replacing mine is long overdue.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kowal.Ski wrote:
Thanks. I am definitely on the market for replacing my old boots (which is how I got here) but as I said I will only consider rear-entry. I've skied in both types and as for comfort while skiing - I see little difference but in my opinion there is no comparison when considering convenience and ease of operation when not skiing - which matters to me. Others may disagree but I'm not trying to convert anyone - I was just saying that I'm a huge fan of rear-entry boots and really welcome the reintroduction of them as replacing mine is long overdue.

It wasn't really my intention to convert you - just give you my experience as somebody who was very anti 4 clip boots, in case it was helpful/relevant. We all like what we like and there is nothing wrong with that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a) A correctly fitted Front Entry Boot can be very comfortable true

b) Don't risk skiing in your ancient boots, as even though they may look OK, they have the potential to land you in a serious accident. very true

A chum got the Nordicas last year - he has fused ankles and can't physically get into front entry boots - he's extremely pleased with them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No problem - I do appreciate your comments. I'm just excited that I now have the choice again!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kowal.Ski, my boot fitting chums have been very happy selling them last year, been a great success, albeit not their "normal" market. Describe them as proper top end liners in a properly re-engineered shell.
snow report
Very good to know, @under a new name. I've only ever owned one pair of boots, so just like skis have evolved massively over the last 30+ years, I'm hoping that these Nordicas will be even more comfortable than my old Salomons. I've just got to sort out a convenient place to get them fitted
ski holidays
@Kowal.Ski, my mate has also previously been on SX72s Shocked ... totally becoming a worrying risk, the idea of blowing a boot half way down e.g. the Vallee Blanche was giving his wife the vapours Twisted Evil
snow report
I had some SX72's for some years and loved them. Then bought some 4 clip Nordicas which i have been very happy with, but have found them increasingly difficult to get on and even more difficult to take off (flexibility is not my strong point). Just bought some HF110's and will be skiing on them in 3 weeks. Can't wait. They are SO easy to get on and off and feel very firm, sure they will be fine for a "mature" skier.
ski holidays
@NorthernLight, "sure they will be fine for a "mature" skier."

Exactly the target market snowHead
snow conditions
Everyone should give rear entry a go at least once in their lives
snow conditions
Nordica launched this boot for a reason, to keep people skiing, people with limited flexion, people with arthritis who cant put a boot on, people who are just ready to give up the sport as it is difficult to put a boot on.

if that is not you then don't bother with them, just as they say in forum speak scroll on by, BUT if you are that person who has struggle to get into a boot or doesn't have the strength to clip a boot and you just want to be out in the mountains taking in the view and enjoying the snow, then have a look. they are a wider fit but if the foot fits as they say, then they don't ski too bad at all, you are not going to win a world cup race and that's not what you were wanting any way

we are running out of them already this season
snow report
@CEM, Can they, are they, as easy to customise as 4-clip boots?
latest report
I have a question regarding the Grip Walk soles on the Nordicas...

while looking for a suitable place to buy them from, I saw a picture of the boot which has a sticker on saying: "Attention! GW soles are compatible only with bindings marked Grip Walk".

Am I going to have trouble finding rental skis that fit them?
ski holidays
@Layne, some areas yes very easy some areas are not possible, but for the most part there are ways to make most adjustments needed

@Kowal.Ski, they are supplied with an alpine 5355 soles as well but any rental shop giving you skis that are not fitted with grip walk bindings is renting you pretty old kit.... the reason it is becoming more prevalent on boots now is for the last 4 years or more most rental kit has been gripwalk for bindings and this is only going to increase... give it a couple of years and the only bindings that wont be gripwalk will be race bindings
snow conditions
@CEM, thanks for that. I have made other enquiries and found out similar - though I didn't realise they actually came with the alpine soles - my mistaken interpretation was that they were available - probably at an extra charge. I am also awaiting a response from the ski hire shop I booked my skis from just to be sure I won't have problems.
snow conditions
As a follow-up to this discussion, I have just been fitted with some very comfortable Nordica HF-110 rear entry boots. As has been mentioned - finding stock - especially in the right sizes - was initially problematical - and then France blocked my ski trip so when stock finally reappeared I wasn't so keen to buy new boots that I might not be able to wear this season.

However, I managed to book a replacement (and fairly imminent) trip to Austria which my gut says has a better than evens chance of happening so I decided to bite the bullet and get myself some new rear entry boots rather than continuing with my 30 year old Salomons.

I will say that there was a lot of opposition to my purchase as there was no physical reason that I needed this type of boot but it was either buy them or continue with my ultra-comfy antiques which I'm rather sad to be retiring.
snow report
@Kowal.Ski, glad you got sorted - happy and comfortable skiing snowHead
ski holidays
@Kowal.Ski, The main thing is you are happy, comfortable....and Not risking your 30 year old boots.

Opinions are well meaning, but not necessarily right for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Following a 2 week skiing holiday in Austria (Ski Jewel area), I thought I'd let you know what I thought about my new Nordica HF-110 rear entry ski boots.

To remind you, these replaced some very old and well used Salomon SX72s. The Nordicas were comfortable and I did ski just as well in them however I would say that the Salomons were far superior in design. There is pretty much just one control on the Nordicas - the rear leaver which can be adjusted. However, unlike the Salomons, it only seems to affect the tightness of the rear closure and there seems very little change from min to max. The Salomons have much greater range of control to give a tighter fit when needed as well as having 3 other adjustments (toe, heal and flex). The Nordicas were better to walk in when "done up" though and so I rarely chose to release the boot compared to the Salomons when walking.

My biggest problem with the Nordicas, however, was that for the first time in my life I got cold feet almost every day when skiing (including during a 3 hour session at Hemel's Snow Centre). I have occasionally skied in bitterly cold conditions and only ever suffered from cold hands and face. The only time my feet have been cold is when my boots have been stored overnight in a cold ski locker and they always warm up quickly after skiing for a short while. However, despite Austria not being particularly cold, I had cold feet pretty much every day. If it wasn't for being able to thaw out during the long gondola rides I suspect I would have had to stop. I am afraid that these boots will not cope with colder conditions or resorts with less reliance on gondolas (and there are plenty of those).

My only hope is that the custom insoles I bought with them are to blame - I didn't really like the arch support anyway. Maybe the original insoles would be more insulating. Otherwise I am not sure what to do with them. It is 2 weeks since I returned and my big toe still feels numb from the cold.
snow conditions
@Kowal.Ski, sounds like you have an area of compression somewhere that is restricting blood flow and causing the cold feeling, the very fact that your big toe feels the way it does suggests this (either that or you managed to get frostbite) might be that the boot needs slight modification to increase that blood flow, it could be over the top of the foot, it could be behind the ankles, but you need someone to trace the problem to the point of the compression and then make a bit of space

certainly not had anyone else report them as being cold and we have sold a fair number since the boot came out
latest report
@Kowal.Ski, your foot is not cold from that 2 weeks later ...
snow conditions
@CEM, I did wonder whether it was a circulation problem but it didn't feel like I had any tightness anywhere - other than pressure from the insole on my feet arches. The Nordicas are definitely roomier than my Salomons.

@under a new name, Not cold - but still numb following the cold. It is proving difficult to get a doctor to physically check my toe out though because they are all hiding in their bunkers and think a photo of what looks like a perfectly normal toe is sufficient to diagnose nothing being wrong.

I think I will dig them out and wear them in the house at room temperature to see if I get cold feet again and then try the original insoles before contacting the guys who fitted them.
snow report
@Kowal.Ski, it doesn't take too much pressure to just restrict blood flow, just has to be in the wrong place and things get numb, equally could be too much pressure under the arch

what type of custom insole is it that you have in there? different products are made in different ways and affect pressure distribution
ski holidays
I must admit that I know nothing about the choice of insoles as I have never used them before (or missed them) but all boot sellers recommend them so I decided to try them out. The ones selected for me as listed on the invoice were: BD Classic Footbed +BD Heel Stab Stiff T3 if that means anything to you.

I would also add that I had the strap across the top of the boot done up relatively tightly and didn't adjust it throughout. I'm used to a snug fit on my Salomons for better control and so I was attempting to make these boots less roomy inside - though I really didn't feel any change with the limited fastenings on these boots so I could have loosened them to experiment.
latest report
@Kowal.Ski, yes that makes sense, i know that product..... how was it made, seated or standing? this can have a bearing on how it supports your foot and your comfort, depending on foot flexibility. is your foot generally wide or narrow?
snow report
@CEM, Standing.
My feet were both measured at UK 11E
snow report
Kowal.Ski wrote:
@CEM, Standing.
My feet were both measured at UK 11E
and what size is the boot
snow report
latest report
ok so should be close, impossible to say without seeing the foot/boot but my guess is there is poor support (for your foot type) from the insole which is letting your foot elongate > toe just hitting the front enough to slightly numb it, the extra volume you feel in the boot will also allow this to happen and could mean there is a load of dead air space in the boot which you are trying to heat (your foot doesn't give off enough heat to heat the extra space, its like trying to heat a 1 bedroom flat with a candle)

all speculation but the most common causes of the problems you are talking about, a trip back to the boot fitters is definitely in order
ski holidays
Thanks for your ideas but I can say for sure that my toes don't reach the end as that is what they used to do in my Salomons (my feet are now 1/2 to 1 size bigger than when I bought those) - which is the only reason I decided on new boots.

As for the dead air - I did try wearing a pair of thin trainer socks early on on the holiday - as an extra layer and to fill the extra room I perceived. Those definitely made my feet feel more snug and comfortable and I thought that they would fix the problem but they actually made it worse so I ditched them.

I am definitely inclined towards the poor circulation theory which I will investigate further.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy