Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cars with ski hatches - how many skis?

Poster: A snowHead
@hang11, …I agree…lots of energy unleashed in an accident…anything heavy or sharp becomes a lethal object if not properly constrained or tethered. In the days before rear seatbelts, rear passengers were killing front seat belted passengers by flying forward in accidents. See

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15094416/

Good seat design and head restraints blocking objects coming from the rear have reduced that risk…see above paper…but I would not want skis and boards flying around. Or boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dunc999, Thought there was a ticket premium for the high bays?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have a ski hatch, Golf MkVII, but never use it as skis interfere with luggage in the boot and on back seat. I put a wooden battens between driver/passenger head rest supports, front and rear, and remove rear seat centre headrest. Then skis run from tailgate glass to just forward of ears when driving. Lashed in place with bungy cords. 4 pairs fine.

@kitenski, Thought you had an iPace??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
colinstone wrote:

@kitenski, Thought you had an iPace??

I did, poor real world range (180 miles in winter), slow charging speeds and broken public chargers on 2 long trips were the nail in the coffin for it! Going from max 100kw charging to max 250kw makes a huge difference! My first public charge after being away skiing was at 123kw within minutes of plugging in, by comparison the iPace would often charge below 50kw.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Lengths of skis are 150, 154, 158 and 170

With those lengths you should be able to offset 2 of the 15* skis by 10cms and still not reach the driver, and hence avoid the binding conflict. We've a Hyundai Kona, which is at the smaller end of EVs with decent range, and with the back seat down and skis of 160, 168 and 177, only the 177s can get in the way of the driver at all, and only with poor packing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MorningGory wrote:
@t44tomo, What year V60 is that? My '19 (and the '69 I had before) had 60/40

Mine's a 12 plate. It may be that its an option to have the 40:40:20 and/or only on the higher spec models. I think my previous V70 also had it, again that was a top spec model, and sure I've seen it on newer models
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've managed four pairs in various cars with a ski hatch.; the best option was not a hatch but a 40:40:20 rear folding seat, folding the '20' bit and running the skis diagonally across the boot and into the space made by the folded '20' bit.

After a scary incident, I'm not confortable carrying skis in the car TBH via a hatch for any long distance and resorted to a slim long roof box, which has been excellent; it's been transferred to a current car - even though it's a 4x4 with plenty of space I still use the roof box. I think it much safer, epsecially if choosing one of the ones rating well in accidents. Kamei box's seem to do well (the one we chose for that reason).

I'm not sure how much impact a roof box will have wil have on a fully electric car, but I guess it might be mitigated by using a slim box which, in our case, doesn't seem to have had that huge an imact on fuel consumption as I had expected on journeys UK to the Alps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few year ago our car a SKoda Superb estate broke down near st Quentin. We had 4 people in the car, lots of luggage including bedding and towels for the apartment and 3 pairs of skis on the roof of the car.
The replacement hire car was a fiat 500L. We abandoned a tiny bit of non essential stuff such as snow chains and the ski bags, packed as much as we could into the boot. It came upto the roof but my son's expertise in Tetris really helped here. The bedding and towels went between the two rear passengersalmost up to dashboard level. The skis rested on top of them across almost to the dashboard. They were high enougth not to interfere with the handbrake or gear change and caused no problems to the driver. We tied the skis togegther to prevent them moving about and of course they were restrained by the seat belt. It was suprisingingly comfortable for the 600km + to Les Arcs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have a mondeo estate which when we bought it had the biggest boot on the market.

No ski hatch and central seat doesn't fold down BUT we could diagonally fit the skis in the centre of the boot with their tips near roof in between kids in back seat. We could still also use the dog netting on a slight looser setting which keeps the skis in place if we were to crash
And saved loads on fuel!

Would highly recommend it as a configuration, I was sceptical it would work but we tried it and had lots of room to spare
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're only looking to transport skis to the airport then get the kids to suck it up. For longer haul transport then roofbox is safest and easiest at expense of fuel economy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jellyspoons wrote:
We have a mondeo estate which when we bought it had the biggest boot on the market.

I assume the Volvo 960 / old shape V90 was no longer "on the market" then? That had a truly humongous boot due in part to the completely square back end. There also can't have been much between a Mondeo and a V70 at the time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:
Having had a couple of decent crashes off mountain roads (admittedly a lot more sporty than most euro roads) I never ever carry skis or boards inside the vehicle. Way too much chance of accidental decapitation, especially if you keep your edges sharp. Chuck em in a roof box and be careful getting a drive through burger.

We bought the Skoda ski bag that is designed to go through Skoda (VW group) ski hatches. It was very reasonable - £75 I think.

Not only will it take 4 pairs of skis through the hatch (with bindings, and my 186cm skis fit comfortably) but it has a strap of seatbelt material with a seatbelt male buckle that will lock it in place to a seatbelt socket.

I would say there is ZERO decapitation risk with it.

More relevantly it also stops snow, water, grit getting into the interior.

Anyway, hope that answers the OP's question!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would say there is ZERO decapitation risk with it

This. A properly secured internal load doesn't represent a problem. We secure our kit all in an old snowboard bag and tiestrap to the seat. All ski boots are in the bottom of the boot space will luggage on top and the parcel shelf in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

I would say there is ZERO decapitation risk with it

This. A properly secured internal load doesn't represent a problem. We secure our kit all in an old snowboard bag and tiestrap to the seat. All ski boots are in the bottom of the boot space will luggage on top and the parcel shelf in.

Same, we usually travel with skis in a bag. Even if just to avoid sharp edges catching the rear passengers when sitting next to them or the car's upholstery.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
PS I'd guess at 2 pairs of skis max with bindings not in a bag that would fit thru a ski hatch

Our ski hatch takes four pairs in a bag so your guess is miles off!
latest report
@jedster, I guess it depends on where the bindings are, if they can sit outside of the small hole then that would make sense. How you "stack" them to get 4 thru what is usually a fairly small hole unless the complete middle seat folds flat!
ski holidays
the bindings don't sit in the hole

In our case you put the bag in first then you feed the skis into the bag (and through the hole one pair at a time). The bag is big enough to stagger the skis a bit.
It's not brain surgery Laughing
ski holidays
Late to this thread and not had time to read all the posts other than the first few. We have a Mercedes and the whole center section on the rear seat folds down (in addition to just lowering the armrest) and will will comfortably accommodate 2 adults and perhaps 3 pair of skis max of depending of bindings. I would put them in bags and which might limit to 2 pair and then there are poles to think about. Best best is to get a roofbox if possible but that may cause too much drag for an EV.
latest report
Our Skoda Octavia has a ski hatch and you can get four pairs through it (even in the Skoda ski bag) with a little fiddling.
ski holidays
As covered before - 4 pairs of skis with bindings, 4 snowboard (stripped) down the centreline of a Mk7 Golf SV (a regular Golf has a 60/40, only the SV or plus came with the 40/20/40 split) all in a snowboard bag and stuffed with stuff.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
@ster, would rather middle seat fold down, but so few cars on the market.

The arguments are caused if we have a side seat down, as for very slim girls they have spikey elbows!
Tesla Model Y has a 40:20:40 rear seat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy