Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on criteria for a French Feb Half term trip (GM or PDS?)

Poster: A snowHead
Have GCSE's coming up in 2023 so we need to go in Feb (weighed it up against Easter but not workable). We drive and self cater - 2 adults and 2 young teens (confident intermediates, like cruising/snow play just off the piste). Looking to keep things simple as possible next year, with certain criteria but could do with some ideas on locations (preferably in France). We want to:

1. Keep the drive as short as possible (with the traffic, it's never as quick as it sounds hence wanting a closer location)
2. Avoid resorts with endless hairpin bends
3. A medium to large ski area (just come back from Tignes for example)
4. Ideally able to ski in/out within 50 metres
5. Don't need apres as we tend to get back, shower, eat and chill - however would need to be close to shops/restaurants
6. Do want snow outside the door as the apres we do is drinks for adults while kids spend hours trying to build an igloo!
7. In a 'connected' resort area, would prefer to be central rather than have to schlep from one side to the other

I've been looking at PDS and Grand Massif - neither of which I know anything about - and honed in on Morillon 1100 (Les Esserts) but a bit twitchy as never stayed any lower than 1300m. Wondered if anyone could offer any advice/experience or maybe something I haven't even considered! Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you considered Christmas? If you go somewhere with access to high slopes (Tignes, for example, which you know) you would be unlucky not to have OK snow and everything else - especially driving - would be easier. And cheaper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, Hi Pam, funnily enough I did think about Christmas at one point but hubby is put off about the lack of light (ie not a huge window of daylight hours compared with Feb). Also, don't think he has enough work days off (having just been and we've got a couple of other hols booked), not to mention Christmas falling on a weekend too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The hours the lifts are open at Christmas are fine - yes, long dark evenings, but you're inside, cooking and drinking and eating, then. The Alps are well south of the UK. And because of the irregular timings, you might well be able to find an apartment with non-standard changeover dates, as there will be a variation. Quiet roads. For me, the key selling point would be quieter pistes - I don't do lift queues.

If it has to be half term I'd go to Italy - no contest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kettonskimum1971, we stayed in Morillon a few years ago in Feb half term and found it too low, could not ski in / out of our apartment. I agree with Pam, go to Italy!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, yes I hear what you're saying about Italy. But it doesn't really meet the criteria of close to drive to and large ski resort?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@trmacc, Were you staying in Morillon village or Les Esserts Morillon 1100? There has always been snow to Morillon 1100 when we have been at Easter so it should be snow sure enough for half term.

I have not been to the Grand Massif at half term but have heard it can be very busy on the slopes. It is an excellent ski area though. On late march/early april trips we have always stayed in Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz which is at the foot of the slopes and is a good base. If you stay in Morillon or Les Carroz you will have decent skiing on your doorstep but it does take a bit of time to ski over to Flaine and back.

Les Arcs is a slightly longer drive but would meet your other criteria. We like Arc 2000 - La Source des Arcs and La cime des arcs residences are well located there. We booked the latter self drive with Ski Collection.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So if it was a choice between Morillon 1100 or Les Carroz would LC win? Or not much in it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Kettonskimum1971, LC is a larger village, but Morillon 1100 you are located literally on the piste and so holds pure convenience for step out onto the snow for a family.
M1100 has slightly more north aspect than the LC piste and holds snow equally, possibly a little better. You can go straight to LC sector with one lift from M1100 it's that close.

We've always (family 4 two children) taken M1100 over LC for that convenience. No problem with LC, just as good in many ways and stayed there as singles so yomping from any accommodation is easy, less getting juniors to the slope depending on where you stay. There are some slopeside options, but usually at increased cost over further village reaches. It's really a close run choice in reality.

Most often stayed M1100 mid to end of march, never without good snow cover.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
trmacc wrote:
@Kettonskimum1971, we stayed in Morillon a few years ago in Feb half term and found it too low, could not ski in / out of our apartment. I agree with Pam, go to Italy!

Was this Morillon village, or in 1100 ski station ? As they are very different (albeit same area) for true snow access.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Head to GM - Samoens is Beautiful.
No hairpins, very short transfer from GVA, great accomomdaion choices, ice rink, proper village etc..
PdS is busy now at half term, even some of the quieter bits like LCdA and St Jean er becoming popular.
I even found some cheeky f@ackers had put some tracks in a couple of my secret spots.
Morillion 1100 is compact and well placed.
Les Crarroz has a big choice of accommodation and is nearer the Big Bauhaus Beauty at the top of the valley.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kettonskimum1971, for Samöens and Morillon side of GM there's a good route from outskirts Geneva to drive (avoids Cluses and traffic there) if you do decide on that area. LC too but a little more marginal in comparison to the principal exit from autoroute to LC in terms of time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice - I'm feeling very much swayed to trying out the GM area next Feb that's for sure. Either based in Morillon 1100 or Les Carroz - and that might be down to what's available!

@ski3, could you please let me know about the route tip? Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice - I'm feeling very much swayed to trying out the GM area next Feb that's for sure. Either based in Morillon 1100 or Les Carroz - and that might be down to what's available!

@ski3, could you please let me know about the route tip? Thanks

Autoroute A40 jnct 15 Findrol (location) signed Fillinges (from memory) onto St Jeoire, Mieussy, then to Taninges which is in the Giffre valley and within 10 mins or so of both Samöens and Morillon. It follows the route of the old slate mining railway that went through Samöens to far end of valley and as such is a very gentle meander in terms of gradient alongside the river, a very nice approach up to the higher valley.
Along there are Super U (approach to Taninges) also Intermarchè (St Jeoire) for fuel and supplies if self catering. Really good patisserie approaching Taninges too Very Happy

Critically it avoids the sticky toll approach to Cluses on the A40, along with the zigzag up the hill, both of which can get very glued traffic wise at peak times.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kettonskimum1971, if you're interested in good perspective of the whole area (covers right down to BsM and up to lake Geneva) Michelin map "328 LOCAL" covers so many ski station etc, and shows very good routing details.

Well worth it to get overall planning pinned down.
latest report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
@pam w, Hi Pam, funnily enough I did think about Christmas at one point but hubby is put off about the lack of light (ie not a huge window of daylight hours compared with Feb). Also, don't think he has enough work days off (having just been and we've got a couple of other hols booked), not to mention Christmas falling on a weekend too.

We've been at Christmas a lot. It's true of course that the days are shorter but that doesn't affect the skiing day too much and the kids can still play in the snow after dark or cosy up inside.

Works well for taking days off work because there are two bank holidays so only 3 days off work required. This coming Christmas for example 26th and 27th will be BH's so only 28th to 30th need to be booked off.

Christmas day is on Sunday so should be no issues.
ski holidays
@Kettonskimum1971, "Do want snow outside the door as the apres we do is drinks for adults while kids spend hours trying to build an igloo!"

For this, if you use a recycling box, the type thats just a open plastic bin, two handles, slight taper to the bottom with rounded corners, you can just shovel snow into it then invert it to make one igloo block (that's a std issue igloo block Very Happy ) and make a really good igloo that looks traditional. Fast and structurally sound too Very Happy great fun to do.
snow report
Regarding Feb HT. We were *forced* to go HT this season. Here is the TR for it.

For us it wasn't too bad. We drive overnight and ski half day first Saturday and the whole of the second Saturday. The drive into resort early to mid-morning was a bit glitchy but not hours of queueing. Later in the day judged on driving out later second Saturday it does snarl up completely. But no panics as long as you make your way up early in the day and then leave either early or late.

If you go somewhere you know the lift system fairly well, you can get around even at the busiest times (mid-morning/mid-afternoon). You may see some pictures of horrendous queues but be aware these are probably peak times at high capacity lifts. The other good thing about Feb is that there is snow down to lower levels and conditions are generally at their peak so you can really spread out. I'm not trying to make light of the business - it is. But if you manage expectations and plan it is manageable.

A couple of other things. If you are driving that makes no major odds cost wise. The lift pass costs the same. But accommodation prices are up by say 50% so a 500 Euro apartment would cost 750 Euro.
snow report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
2. Avoid resorts with endless hairpin bends

Tignes is a schlep for sure. As is the higher stations of many of the resorts.

Just go to the lower stations that link into the bigger resorts.
ski holidays
Just got back from Morrilon 1100, went 3-10/04 drove via the tunnel with operation stack in full flow....

TL;DR - towards the end of season snow cover is sketchy. As its low. Not a tricky drive, depending on how much you like driving. Easy with kids.

Snow - Major snowfall just before arrival really helped. The pistes were in pretty good condition considering the point in the season.
Kids - Super simple. Just shove them out the door and you're on a piste / near enough to the lift. Ski school is also centrally located just down from the main Sairon lift.
Food - a few restaurants, the main bar by the lift is serving some nice Big Mountain Brewing Co beers at the moment......
Shopping - a small sherpa in the village, bakery down in Morrilon valley, and supermarkets within 20 mins.

Any specific questions just let me know.
snow conditions
@morh, Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I now annoyingly cannot seem to find any available accommodation (sensibly priced) in Morillon 1100 for my Feb HT dates 2023 - could mean I have to shift focus elsewhere which is a shame as I'd honed in on the area.
ski holidays
@Kettonskimum1971, have you tried these https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/winter/ski-resorts/grand-massif/morillon-morillon-1100/le-buet ?

There's some others to there as well, but some may not show next season availability just yet.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The hours the lifts are open at Christmas are fine - yes, long dark evenings, but you're inside, cooking and drinking and eating, then. The Alps are well south of the UK. And because of the irregular timings, you might well be able to find an apartment with non-standard changeover dates, as there will be a variation. Quiet roads. For me, the key selling point would be quieter pistes - I don't do lift queues.

If it has to be half term I'd go to Italy - no contest.

How do people find the crowds during Christmas week? We’ve been going as a family at Easter the last few years but fancy a change.
snow conditions
@ski3, No, hadn't tried those but was hoping that perhaps it was still early!
ski holidays
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/14382861?adults=2&children=2&check_in=2023-02-11&check_out=2023-02-18&federated_search_id=a1856707-eafe-4ce4-8085-b35119d1e678&source_impression_id=p3_1650467469_jZx3XkO4%2BSGRweji

Overlooking ski lift, seems available too
ski holidays
@ski3, So funny - I literally contacted her a few hours back to see if it's still available (I never really trust the calendars - esp when there are hardly any winter bookings in there!). Waiting to hear back!
ski holidays
@Kettonskimum1971, it's worth calling Peak to discuss as they can request extra capacity if they've got confirmed customer demand.

The Le Buet sits opposite the one I've just listed above they are sited either side of the lifts there.
latest report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
@ski3, So funny - I literally contacted her a few hours back to see if it's still available (I never really trust the calendars - esp when there are hardly any winter bookings in there!). Waiting to hear back!

That property has "Instant Booking" turned on, which means that when you make a reservation it's guaranteed, i.e. the host has to make sure that they're synchronising any/all calendars correctly, otherwise they'll be getting overbookings and needing to cancel, which airbnb do not like at all. So if it says it's available for your dates and allows you to make the booking (and takes your payment) you can be confident that it's reserved.

We use airbnb among other channels, and when we first started without a Channel Manager we always had Instant Booking turned off for this very reason. Only when I got the CMS in place which syncs all the channels pretty much instantly did I switch it over.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

How do people find the crowds during Christmas week?

Busier than Easter, less busy than New Year and half term, I'd say.
latest report
Quote:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/14382861?adults=2&children=2&check_in=2023-02-11&check_out=2023-02-18&federated_search_id=a1856707-eafe-4ce4-8085-b35119d1e678&source_impression_id=p3_1650467469_jZx3XkO4%2BSGRweji

Overlooking ski lift, seems available too

So, unbelievably, she has come back to me saying there is availability. However when I go onto Airbnb the price has increased for the week by over 800 Euros. I'm starting to think that these are all signs that I really shouldn't be going to the area.... rolling eyes
latest report
Ooh that smarts a bit, I've not booked through Airbnb before so unaware of practices.

The area itself has always been characterized by relatively quite-ish booking demand, but also very decent people there in all aspects of business I've experienced.

This link https://en.ski-france.com/ski-holidays-to-france/ has places there (I've checked all dates and nothing seems to yet be open for confirmed booking) and used this booking system for a number of places to ski from, all with perfect reliability. Maybe worth keeping an eye out on this for booking either at Morillon or elsewhere. We've used them for 3 separate ski areas so far.
ski holidays
@ski3, Good news, I've secured a booking at an amazing price (booked a rental direct with owner) - so Morillon 1100 will be happening next Feb HT! Yay.

Thanks so much to everyone else who contributed to this chat - fantastic levels of feedback and information of the highest value!
latest report
Maurienne is not longer to drive in peak high season.
And MUCH better value for money.
And MUCH less lift waiting.
And MUCH less crowded slopes and looking over tour shoulders
And MUCH more humane and friendly locals. Even in sketchingboard stations like Valmeinier.

I've been to most of the big Arras in AU, CH, IT and FRA. And will certainly return after this winter's first experience.

Put Val Cenis and Valmeinier in the bucketlist.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-04-22 22:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
@ski3, Good news, I've secured a booking at an amazing price (booked a rental direct with owner) - so Morillon 1100 will be happening next Feb HT! Yay.

Thanks so much to everyone else who contributed to this chat - fantastic levels of feedback and information of the highest value!

Great you've got something arranged now for next ski trip. We've used a private rental there before too, owned by someone from Manchester UK and sent them payment with key in post by return near time of holiday for access. We've had really good ski holidays there in children's formative ski years as it's so convenient.
You've some of the best places to eat at lunchtime there in the whole GM area, L'Beu (just up the slope from the main chair lift entry, approximately 50mtrs) you can walk up to it if not skiing, family run and really good food. L'Igloo further up but with pedestrian and ski access, Chalet Clare ? Up at top of area too. All very popular so reservation or early arrival helps you and lunch time eating takes demand off evening meal pressure if you like that arrangement.
Always forget the name, but right in centre of village by main lift is a very good pizza restaurant too, impressive pizza ovens that cook in about 90sec for very good food. That an L'Beu take evening bookings.
Small but well stocked Sherpa in village for self catering, supermarket (Auchan/Chsmpion) only about three miles away on road to Samöens too and fuel there if you need it. Samöens worh a trip after ski to walk around and stretch ski legs, a very nice village (you can almost see it from 1100) and only about 5 miles.

The valley Giffre is beautiful in summer too and great for a holiday there, to me it rivals easily some of the best outside destinations in UK for summer vacation, but very sparsely used and very relaxed easygoing place to stay, we've visited there quite a bit as you may have guessed.

Which building location are you going to stay in ?hope you enjoy it as we have.
latest report
Onnem wrote:
Maurienne is not longer to drive in peak high season.

Compared to where? Coming from the UK Morillon is certainly quicker to reach, as are the other Grand Massif stations and those on the French side of the Portes du Soleil. Sure, there may be bad traffic on the black days, but that's most likely on the major autoroutes so will affect you just as much if you're driving further South.
snow report
I've driven to the Grand Massif on two Feb half terms, each time hitting peak Saturday traffic on the A40 around Bourg-en-Bresse. On both occasions the delays were around 1.5 hours, which is not too bad really.

Coming back, and also driving Xmas and Easter, the delays are zero.
snow report
@HilbertSpace, When you say hitting peak Saturday traffic around Bourg-en Bresse roughly what time would that be? I'm thinking about driving a bit further on (say 30 mins) by Friday night leaving about 1.5 hours drive Saturday morning (but not having to have too early a start!).
ski holidays
@ski3, Brill - thanks for all the tips! I've booked a decent sized (36 square metre) ground floor appt in the Eterlous B building - probably make more sense to you than me (just over 1200 Euros).

Really excited to see somewhere new - pre kids we had a lot of variety with skiing in lots of countries but post kids it's really been about France. As a family we've been to Le Grand Bornand/Chinaillon (where the kids learnt), Les Saisies and Tignes (start of April this year). Now the kids are early teens the larger resorts are working better for us cruising reds and blues and snow play!

Hear what you're saying about the mountains in summer - we're doing another summer holiday in Bourg St Maurice this year.
snow report
Kettonskimum1971 wrote:
@HilbertSpace, When you say hitting peak Saturday traffic around Bourg-en Bresse roughly what time would that be? I'm thinking about driving a bit further on (say 30 mins) by Friday night leaving about 1.5 hours drive Saturday morning (but not having to have too early a start!).

Probably hit the traffic around 2pm.

On both occasions we left our overnight stop in Reims bit before 8am, and got to the resort about 4pm.
ski holidays
@Kettonskimum1971, we've overnighted at Bourg-en-Bresse and I don't think it took more than 2 hours to get to St Gervais which is probably similar to Morillon. Don't think it was a Saturday though.

I am not sure what there is after Bourg without either heading some distance off the autoroute or (possibly) accepting a formula hotel at a services.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy