Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
In Flachau for first time from 7th Jan, on my own and wondering on 2 things.

1. Anyone here that week to watch the race?
2. Is there an official list of individual instructors/guides I could use to show me around for a day as I am looking at coming back for half-term. Used them at other resorts and the official websites often list them, but can't see any for Flachau.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Saj2111, lots of us will be at the race. @RedandWhiteFlachau may be able to show you round....but its a very easy place to get around, or are you looking at off piste? I'm around and know it well (piste) but am not the quickest but good at apres! Where are you staying?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Saj2111, Hi. I'm here next week and curently client free so I could show you around. Sunday works for me at the moment. If you PM me your number for Whatsapp maybe we can arrange something. Let me know what level you're at please. My son and some mates are out from 10th and you could probably have a ski with them (early '20s). I'm not doing the race but can give you the info you need for tickets etc when you arrive. If you've ordered your lift pass online, it is worth looking at the free public transport offer mentioned earlier in this thread to get you from the airport. P.S. @holidayloverxx, is very good at Apres Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RedandWhiteFlachau,
Quote:

holidayloverxx is very good at Apres
I can second that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Saj2111, @holidayloverxx, I'm also thinking about going to see the race, maybe we could do a mini Snowheads meetup. Very Happy

Not sure how to get there and back though from Wagrain. There's a bus shuttle but the timetable doesn't show a return schedule.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@luanb, ask the tourist information about a return bus.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, @RedandWhiteFlachau, Thanks both. Will PM my details.

Actually on a bit of a trek to ski and see the races: Flachau (8-11Jan) >> St Anton (11-16Jan)>> Innsbruck(Kitzbuhel) (20-22Jan) >> Schladming(22-26Jan). Correction, I arrive on 8th (Sunday) (not 7th) and so only have the afternoon; full day for me is Monday. Mostly piste skier and any colour. Race tickets all sorted. Staying in centre near StarJet

@luanb, The timetable link on this page states the return times at the bottom: https://skiweltcup-flachau.at/en/usefull-information/translate-to-englisch-gratis-bus-shuttle
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Saj2111, Indeed, I can see that now, not sure how I missed it before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Saj2111, message me...happy to meet up for skiing/Apres
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody know why Fageralm has just the lower lifts open, or when they're fully opening? Ta!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HutToHut, the problem is that it is not currently possible to operate the T-lifts because of the low snow levels. At this destination the snow making only includes the pistes accessed by the chair-lifts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mankei, thank you. That makes sense as there is half the snow than on the Planai. Hopefully there will be enough new snow next week for them to operate.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dachstein glacier noted in the daily fail as a snowy euro ski resort.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-11602363/The-ski-resorts-world-snow.html

Ironic considering the ski lifts won't be opening this season or probably ever again due to shrinking glacier. Main cable car still open, can ski tour, xc ski, just no lift served skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@waynos, apparently they will never open again for alpine skiing,that from a Bergrettung friend. But yes, the cable car will still run making the Dachstein crossing still possible. Up there in summer it's so overfilled unless you book a gondola in advance ( July and August) you don't have a great chance of a place.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nearly everything open in Schladming (all 4 mountains) and snow on the upper half today. Forecast to get colder and more snow, including down to town.
snow report
Good top to bottom pistes on Hauser Kaibling today. The sun even put in an appearance this afternoon!
ski holidays
We have a cancellation for the coming week. 5 Nights Self-Catering in Wagrain apartment that sleeps 6 in 3 Double Rooms with ensuites. 16-21 Jan 23 (Mon-Sat). Snow coming in this week too. €1,000 for a Snowhead inclusive of Linen, Cleaning and Tourist Taxes. PM me for details.
snow conditions
anyone know the salzburgerhof Hotel?
in fact any recommendations for a hotel in the area, we'll have wheels and happy to drive everyday so location is flexible. Not bothered about glitz and glam just a well run family hotel with half board
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, which one? It's a common name
ski holidays
ah ok it's in Flachau
snow report
looks ok, reasonable position. There is a footpath across the road to get to the starjet lift. We always have a drink there during the town parade in summer. If reviews are OK it'll be as good as anywhere else
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, cool thanks for that.
latest report
I'm planning a fairly last minute week skiing 4/5 Feb, I've never been to Austria, but have had the Ski Amade region on my radar for the last few years and we're driving this year so thought we could make the most of several ski areas.

I'm aware that all the villages are quite low, and in general the alps aren't having a great season, and we've found it difficult to see what lifts and runs are and aren't open on the ski amade webste. Is snow cover good enough to the bottom? Any recommendations on villages/places to stay? Anything to be aware of or anything to avoid?

We'll be a small group in our mid/late 20s but definitely more the first lift rather than late night apres sort. Most have been skiing since they could walk and/or had stints living in/near the mountains, but we've not much experience in Austria. Logistics are slightly complicated by the fact we'll be driving an EV so need to consider which resorts or hotels have charger, and have at least one person after a single room. I've seen a couple of hotels which fit the bill in Dorfgastein but can't find huge amounts of info about the snow or skiing there. Thanks!
snow conditions
@dummy25, it has been dumping down for days. no snow issues now, I would say. Here in Flachau the only closed runs are some baby ones that aren't always open anyway. All runs down to the village are open and have been for ages
latest report
My friend has been in the Gastein valley for the last couple of weeks and he says it's been constantly snowing for days. He keeps sending videos of great looking off piste.
latest report
actually, I'm off to Dorfgastein tomorrow for a change
snow conditions
He's been at Graukogel today, says it's been deserted on the slopes.
latest report
@Jagerbull, that's kind of what we are hoping for. its busier than you'd expect in January around Flachau
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sounds fantastic, thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully it keeps it up for the next couple of weeks!

@holidayloverxx enjoy, let us know how it is
snow conditions
@dummy25, I've had several weeks in Dorfgastein over the years and always look forward to returning. Usually ski there in mid/late March and never had any issues with snow. Dorf is very quiet however, certainly not an apres ski hot spot. Good for a couple of beers at the bottom of the hill and return to hotel for wellness, food, a quiet drink and early night.

Our normal week is based in Dorf and ski there 4 days and then a couple of days at Bad/Bad Hofgastein. Only 10 or 15 mins in the car to the Gondola at Bad Hofgastein.

Gastein valley has some great skiing, probably my favourite area in Ski Amade.
ski holidays
@dummy25, Dorfgastein is a great little resort and linked to Grossarl. There's a shuttle bus up to Bad Gastein which is probably more than enough to keep you busy for a week. Conditions are Fab and should hold for the rest of the season. You'll have a great time.
snow report
Very quiet today, but sadly lousy light, snowing and freezing cold. I couldn't see any of the bumps and baled after an early lunch. Theres plenty of snow...I just wish it would stop now.
snow conditions
Great news on the snow front as i'm off to Maria Alm on Saturday for a week. I've been keeping an eye on the interactive panorama and notice the one of the reds at the top of the T-bar on Aberg and the black at Muhlbach are both closed.
Anyone know the reason why as I would have thought more than enough snow now?
snow report
We were at Muhlbach today and can confirm that the black was closed. Everything else open. Vis improved as the morning went on and a bit of sun after lunch.
ski holidays
Thanks @pamski.......any idea why? Can't be lack of snow surely?
snow report
robandliza wrote:
Thanks @pamski.......any idea why? Can't be lack of snow surely?

Visibility.
ski holidays
Based in saalbach this season but looking to get out and explore on supersalzburg pass. Anybody know of cheap digs in or around flachau for a night allowing to explore two days in this area. Anybody in area would like to have a blast around.
snow report
@WASHOUT, there are no cheap digs in Flachau really...but try air bnb
ski holidays
Yeah that what I was thinking. Its only 90km from Saalbach so might just pop over for the day.
snow report
Hi, I will be in Zell am See for a week from Feb. 11 with family. Competent offpiste snowboarder/beginner splitboarder (not new on SH btw. Just a new account). Rather than tour alone, keen to meet up with like-minded skitourers/splitboarders for half days. Accommodation will be at the base of areitXpress lift.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy