Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
@Jagerbull, always good, seen him a few times
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jagerbull, tempted! We skied over Alpendorf-Wagrain side today and it was brilliant.

Extremely convenient on the 8.12 from Salzburg, then a ski bus 5 minutes after the train arrives from the station at St Johan.

Anyone who needs a confidence boost should come to Alpendorf, absolutely perfect long blue to get the skills working, then just really chilled skiing over to Wagrain (bit slushy near lower down but still not big bumps even around 2pm). Other half did one of the perfectly groomed blacks and loved it (there was a lovely blue next door for me, perfect). Reds tend to be a bit of steep, then a more relaxed bit, then a bit of steep - not unrelenting! Today was just a hero day, good conditions on piste, sunshine and fun. Definitely my favourite place we've visited so far in the region. Really looking forward to our weekend in Radstadt!

Thoroughly enjoyed my Volkl Kanjo 80 skis from Snoworld, they are perfect for a combo of hard and slushy conditions.

Can you tell I liked it? Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ElzP, Glad you enjoyed it. Don't forget to come and Ski Flachau, Kleinarl and Zauchensee when you stay with Ben and Ange.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, all of those, like a shot. I forgot to mention the absolutely beautiful views!

I get a bit in my head skiing and today took me out of my head and onto my skis - all subjective but l rated the relaxation.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ElzP, sounds brilliant!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ElzP wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, all of those, like a shot. I forgot to mention the absolutely beautiful views!

I get a bit in my head skiing and today took me out of my head and onto my skis - all subjective but l rated the relaxation.

DM me if you want a guide for a day. I'm probably not working on the Saturday of your stay next weekend.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thank you. Smile

Another thing happening today in Alpendorf - Redbull Salzburg HSV were out next to the top of the gondola, very fun to watch with a few beers.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking forward to our Kleinarl trip in a couple of weeks...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Should have gone to DJ Oetzi, though not sure my liver would have thanked me. Instead headed to Bad Gastein. Observations:

1. If you're already feeling fragile after too much wine and beer, don't go up top in flat light, feel sick and throw a tantrum. It's all a bit open and white up there.

2. Remember to eat.

3. Go to Bad Hofgastein instead and play in the lovely bowl up there. snowHead

4. Make sure you're watching when husband accidentally goes off a drop and stacks it in front of a full restaurant terrace (he's fine!)

Generally wasn't loving anything today so Bad Gastein gets a thumbs down - just seemed very difficult on hungover legs (the hired Blizzard Bramha also far too much ski for same legs). It also whiffs a bit of Courmayeur vibes. However, that lovely bowl gets my vote.

Sometimes a challenge is NOT required! NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flachau was lovely today. Only a little bit chopped up in the afternoon. Excellent for march
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
did I read somewhere kids ski free in April with paying adult in the Amadé
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, something like that...Google is your friend here
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, I tried that but it's not 100% clear what's covered and what's not
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mother hucker, I expect you might have come up with this after googling:

“ Enjoy your family holiday in Ski amadé! From March 18, 2023 to the end of the season Easter Bunny has prepared a special package for families in Ski amadé.

When purchasing a 6-day ski pass for at least one parent, children up to 15 years old travel free of charge. Entertainment on and around the pistes will be provided in the regions and villages.

Please note! Offer valid for children born in 2007 or later. Cannot be combined with other special offers. Please note that the Easter Family Special cannot be combined with the online early booking bonus.”
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mother hucker, what @Pamski, says...........I've benefitted many times in the past when the Timbercubs were smaller. Simply buy an adult lift pass, and get a kids lift pass for free Cool
latest report
Awesome day in Reiteralm today. Unexpected good clear weather, not too warm. Hero pistes and really quiet from lunchtime
latest report
@holidayloverxx, how lovely - a really cracking day feels like a massive bonus this season!

Given unexpectedly good weather and hero pistes may not be the case this weekend when we'll be in Radstadt, any advice from the locals on what to do if the weather is just too unpleasant? Happy to ski when it's snowing but rain or high winds I'd rather not bother! If we decided to go to the spa in Altenmarkt for instance, should we book in advance? Any other poor weather tips? Restaurants that will make us feel better if skiing is off? Very Happy

Or any tips on which area tends to be least unpleasant in a storm?

Thanks!
ski holidays
@ElzP, you can't reserve the therme in advance but when you go onto the website there should be a pop up with how busy it is
https://www.thermeamade.at/

I can't say which areas are least unpleasant in a storm as you won't catch me out in one.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, ah, brilliant, thank you!

I'm not so keen myself. Am quite keen on saunas and long lunches though so can usually cope with a storm. Laughing
ski holidays
@Pamski, yes i figured in the end, tourist website also came up with hotel plus pass deals. cheers any how
snow report
@holidayloverxx, @ElzP,

Dj Otzi was really entertaining, and the view over the valley as the sun was setting was stunning. 30 min taxi ride back from Alpendorf was worth it.

Just finished a great week of boarding based in Flachau.
Off piste was obviously not an option, given it hadn't snowed for a couple of weeks, but the pistes were generally good. Hard packed in the morning and slush later on.
The worst run of the week for me was run 17 yesterday afternoon. Pretty big bumps.

No massive negatives on resort choice. My main complaint would be the sprawling nature of the place. 20 min walk to get to the Irish pub from our location.

The food and drink prices are good all over the area. eg. Spag bol around 10e, beers 5.20e.
latest report
@Jagerbull, "20 min walk to get to the Irish pub from our location." Were you actually staying in Altenmarkt? Although it does sometimes take that long to get home from Ema's! Very Happy
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Very Happy

were staying near the Acherjet. Couldn't work out whether there was a quicker route than going up to the main road.

Maybe 15 mins was more accurate.

Last night we tried the Alter Neuwirt. Really liked it. Plus it was a shorter walk. After a the bumps yesterday it was handy.
ski holidays
@Jagerbull, I never thought I'd have DJ Oetzi envy but I have now! Laughing

It's a great area isn't it. We've had a super relaxed day just skiing around the Flachau side today, everything feels so accessible. Even started the day on the slalom piste as a warm up - not often I can say that an FIS piste is useful for getting my legs back.

Think we are going to try and come back to the ski area for a few weeks next year if we can find a reasonably priced apartment. It suits both a nervy inter and my husband who can now pretty much ski anything.
snow report
@Jagerbull, there is - cut across the field towards the Musistadl and turn left onto the road - brings you out at Emas. Alter is nice, but a different proposition.

which one is run 17? ( I don't know the piste numbers)

it was nice to bump in to malarkey99 on the Achterjet yesterday - completely random!
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I had to look up the run number as I left it to the rest of my group to lead the way.
It's the run down from the Panorama Lift to the Flying Mozart middle station.

I thought it could be possible that way but could see in the dark.
latest report
@Jagerbull, ah yes. The flying mizart run. It does get bumpy but hekd up well yesterday till lunchtimr
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Jagerbull, ah yes. The flying mizart run. It does get bumpy but hekd up well yesterday till lunchtimr

Was it a particularly long lunch….? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, Laughing
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, Laughing
latest report
Just wanted to chuck another recommendation for Haus Susanne in here - lovely stay, thank you Ben and Angela. Very Happy Met other snowheads staying there which was great.

Skiing in Zauchensee was fun today with the Atomic ski test on for Ladies Day - tested some Maven 93 skis which were ideal as there was a fair bit of snow and chop about. Finished at Flachauwinkel and can confirm the buses work really well between the areas if legs don't want to ski the link. Another relaxed place with very nice runs. Love this whole area.

Also, if anyone is staying in Radstadt, definitely go to the Greek restaurant Taverna Kos. Great food, nice Greek owner, mixed grill is fabulous. And if you want a quiet and comfortable post ski drink in Flachau, Jacks is very civilised.
snow report
Just back from a great week based in Kleinarl, too warm for great snow quality but whats not to love about sunny days in the mountains.

Didn't travel too far this year as son was doing a couple of hours in ski school am but a couple of trips to Zauchensee.
ski holidays
At the top of the Achter Jet at 12.00 today. Lots of Fresh to play with so should be good for the next couple of days. Still pretty average below 1200m.
latest report
I didn’t realise Bad Hofgastein was so pretty - the church is stunning…

ski holidays
I am already planning my trip to Ski Amade for Jan 24 and numbers/ needs have meant we haven't been able to use the otherwise lovely properties of the ever helpful local SH's. One of the needs has become half board at a reasonable price and we already have a few places on a list (Bergdiamant and Berggasthof Munzen in Flachau, Moawirt between Flachau and Wagrain, but I have had a very reasonably priced offer in Kleinarl. So my question is....what is it like as a base? Two or three bars and a hotel bar would be plenty for us. We might end in Wagrain a couple of times and bus/ taxi back. My guess is that it would be quieter than Flachau, slopes and apres but I am still tempted. Does anyone have any major plus or minus points for the village? Most of our group would ski the whole area, a couple are a little less confident so the local slopes seem ideal.
snow conditions
@toyah807, there's probably enough bars in Kleinarl, but I've fallen out of love with Flachauwinkl/Kleinarl as it's really set up for park rats these days...lots of parks all over the mountain and much busier than it used to be. The family blue run to the bottom of Kleinarl is just a track which gets really lumpy and unpleasant. While it looks like there are lots of blue runs they aren't great. If you want to ski the whole area i would say flachau is better as it's more central whereas Kleinarl is at the edge
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, that's really helpful, ta. Exactly what I was hoping the local knowledge could clarify
ski holidays
@toyah807, me and my 5 friends stayed at the Bergdiamant in March this year. We all had massive rooms, good breakfast selection and decent evening meals. Really good value. Would definitely stay there again.
Our local Austrian apres bar of choice was the Herzel Alm.
Post dinner we walked to the Paularei or Ema's. Discovered the Alter Neuwirt on our last night. The Bergdiamant bar was OK too.
ski holidays
Bergdiamant is across the road from me. Very convenient . we love herzerlalm. Kamin Klause just below it is good for food. Wein stuberl just past the mpreis for the best pizza. Dorfalm good for traditional Austrian. All just a few minutes walk
snow report
@Jagerbull, @holidayloverxx, thanks again. The info about Bergdiamant confirms my impression of it from research but the info about restaurants and some bars on the main road gives me a bit of a quandary about actually staying there and storing skis at the lift. Also easier for the bus back from Zauchansee/ Flachauwinkl. I have had a really cheap quote for HB at Gasthof Schnitzl-eck (probably cheap enough to eat out every night having paid for HB and still have change from a week at other hotels). Is there a reason Schnitzl-eck is so much cheaper? Less luxurious rooms wouldn't worry us and we were quite happy to save money by staying at Garni Bellavista in Arabba this year and walking to the lifts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy