Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
@ck_v2, I suggest you repost in the Saalbach thread, they're closer. Have a good trip. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161018&highlight=zell&start=680
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@ck_v2, I suggest you repost in the Saalbach thread, they're closer. Have a good trip. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161018&highlight=zell&start=680
Ah yeah true. thx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello Ski Amade folk! Husband and I are going to be in Salzburg for 4 weeks from the 18th Feb, and we will have three full weekends (possibly at least one three day weekend) to ski. We will be commuting to the slopes by train/bus and it looks like an hour/1.5 hours of a morning depending on where we go. I may book us a cheeky overnight one or two weekends, but it looks expensive!

For Snow Space Salzburg, it looks like the easiest way is to get the train to St J in P then the bus up to Alpendorf. Is there anything I've missed that makes that a bad idea, or is it quicker to get into the area a different way?

We will definitely go to Schladming because we've wanted to go for a while; it looks like if we get the train we should get out at Schladming train station and head to Planai West, where there seems to be one ski hire shop. Again, is there an easier/better way?

For the third weekend, we thought maybe Dachstein West looked decent - but if you have any hot tips on small but fun ski areas that we can visit then I'd love to know, we really like visiting smaller areas! But we won't have a car so has to be on the train or bus. Or should be just concentrate on coming back to further explore the Snow Space?

Can't wait to be skiing in Austria again. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ElzP, Train to Radstadt is just as easy and the Post Bus meets the train.

Alpendorf is one end of the Snowspace so there are more options to explore if you take the bus from Radstadt to Flachau and start in the middle. Don't forget to order your tickets online and then go to the "Free" Public Transport link so you don't have to pay for the train.

For Schladming I think the train stops at Pichl b.Schladming for the Reiteralm Lifts which would be easier. Somebody else may be able to confirm.

Dachstein West can be great fun but it is probably a bus ride too far for a day trip.

Yes, accommodation is expensive. it is peak season. But if you look somewhere in the valley around Radstadt, Eben or Altenmarkt that is on the Bus Route you might find some good deals for an overnight stay. Try the Tourist Office sites too. You might want to consider extending your stay by a week, then you'd hit Ladies Week, which has some super deals. https://www.skiamade.com/en/Accommodation/Special-Weeks/Ladies-Week

I'd say do Snowspace first and then decide if you want to come back. Consider the Hochkonig as well. Train to Bischoffsen and bus up to Muhlbach.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks so much for those suggestions, I'll have another look at the buses. Will definitely book lift tickets in advance for the free travel! Also good point on the tourist office, had forgotten that. I don't mind paying a couple of hundred quid a night but would rather not pay a month's worth of rent for two nights. Laughing

Had not seen Hochkonig, will do some research. Thanks again!

Edit - Oh my goodness, have just seen the Konigtour with food - that's right up my alley. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got back from that area, no shortage of choices for smaller or less well know places. I drove but had considered doing a fly/train from Salzburg to Gastein where my hotel was. You can get a direct train from Salzburg to the Gastein valley from about €15 pp each way. I was in Bad Hofgastein and the station is a fair way from the town but if you went to Dorfgastein the station is right in the town and probably walking distance to the gondola. It’s a really nice area with skiing over to Grosal in the next valley.

There is also Werfen which is much closer to Salzburg and has a small ski area called Wefenweng. The station is a fair distance away but I’m sure there will be a bus. Also gives you a chance to see the HohenWerfen or Schloss Adler!

On my way back home as I was passing Salzburg I made a detour to Lofer which is a nice little town 20 miles to the south west. It has a small skiing area and looked to be a decent place to go to from Salzburg if the snow is ok.

Anyway, a few ideas for you!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@japes1275, oh excellent, thanks for those! I'll have a look at these - Lofer I had checked thinking it looked easy but there seems to be no cross border public transport (unless I'm totally missing it!) We've driven past it before on the way to Saalbach I think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dachstein West is about 1hr 10 mins - train to Golling and then bus direct to Russbach (valley station). For public transport, try the ÖBB Scotty app. Works really well.

Conditions on the piste are currently awesome. Off-piste tracked out. Temperatures cold at the moment, warming next week and, as it looks now, cooling again.

As mentioned, Werfen is also worth looking at, due to its proximity to Salzburg.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Cacciatore, great, that's what I'd seen for Dachstein West from a quick look. Very doable.

Not worried about the off piste - will keep fingers crossed that the on piste is decent in a couple of weeks. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there a ski bus at the end of the day between flachau and alpendorf? Coming over for the day and starting in alpendorf.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WASHOUT, redandwhiteflachau will know better but its a heck of a long way. To me it's better to get over to wagrain on the glink in time to get.back by lift and skiing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for that. Think will have a few days out here over next few weeks, its a nice change from Saalbach.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ElzP, if you need some SnowHead friendly, and super hospitable accommodation in Radstadt, you could do way worse than contact our very own @flangesax ( www.austrian-adventures.com ) who should be able to take care of you Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timberwolf wrote:
@ElzP, if you need some SnowHead friendly, and super hospitable accommodation in Radstadt, you could do way worse than contact our very own @flangesax ( www.austrian-adventures.com ) who should be able to take care of you Cool

Who?
Not seen them round these 'ere parts for a while...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Timberwolf, I have heard of this lovely snowhead friendly accommodation. snowHead I've also just put some potential weekend dates in the booking system and got a no. Crying or Very sad

@flangesax, is it worth emailing you in case? We only have three possible weekends so you're probably booked up!
latest report
That'll be great!
Have a look on the link in the sig for contact or drop me a pm...
The direct booking jobby also shows all availability and is pretty simple to use... most of the time!
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
Is there a ski bus at the end of the day between flachau and alpendorf? Coming over for the day and starting in alpendorf.

Only the post bus via Altenmarkt which takes about 2 hours! If there's a few of you then Taxis between Flachau and Alpendorf will set you back about €70. As long as you're at the G-Link for 15.30 it is probably better to ski back. Mind you, if you're coming over for a session you probably won't notice the €70. Very Happy
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau pity you didnt get over to saalbach today. Got as far as flachau but nipped back on the g-link and played around there for a while. Going to park further along the valley next time possibly flachau side of the g link.
snow report
@Timberwolf, and I and a few other numpties got the 08:38 bus from our house once and ended up having Aprés in Bad Gastein!
This was before the Panoramabahn and a few other handier bus times.... I think it needs to be done again - but this time can we get to Sport Gastein?!?
snow report
@flangesax, we had twelve days in Großarl and enjoyed going over to Dorfgastein quite a few times. Also came to Altenmarkt/Radstadt to ‘put me back together’ as I wasn’t enjoying skiing in bad viz. I knew where I was in Altenmarkt but then the sun shone too!
snow conditions
WASHOUT wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau pity you didnt get over to saalbach today. Got as far as flachau but nipped back on the g-link and played around there for a while. Going to park further along the valley next time possibly flachau side of the g link.

Yep, little bit of car trouble! Let me know when you head this way again.
snow conditions
Just wondering what current conditions are like?

I'm considering a trip to Bad Hofgastein particularly.
snow report
@3offthetee, Any particular reason you choose Dorf as opposed to Bad Gastein/Bad Hofgastein? Bad Hofgastein looks the biggest area of the 3 and best for taking ski lessons? I'd welcome any tips for the area, heading there first week of April with the kids.
ski holidays
@OzParent, we went there last March with the family and stayed in Johannesbad Hotel Palace in Bad Hofgastein which was a little way from the lift station(5-10min walk) but there are regular buses to and from, most of the hotels are set back in the valley basin.
We all really enjoyed our time there and we are a mix of boarders and skiers, mostly on piste. The terrain is really beautiful and it links well. We particularly enjoyed the slopes in Dorfgastein even prettier than Bad Hofgastein. The huts are really good value and the town/village is lovely too.
Don't think many Brits get here compared to other resorts, I'd return in a heart beat.
Heading out to Flachau next week with the whole family again including grandchildren. Can't wait.
ski holidays
@northantsred, You could luck out. 30-50cm forecasted for Sat/Sun!
ski holidays
OzParent wrote:
@3offthetee, Any particular reason you choose Dorf as opposed to Bad Gastein/Bad Hofgastein? Bad Hofgastein looks the biggest area of the 3 and best for taking ski lessons? I'd welcome any tips for the area, heading there first week of April with the kids.

Prefer Dorf for the quieter slopes and tree lined runs on Fulseck making for good skiing in even the worst weather. Great skiing in all sectors, long top to bottom descents with the caveat that it is mainly genuine red run terrain. Dorf/Grossarl has more blue terrain but the valley run to Dorf is not blue especially late in the day when it is a narrow gluepot. Skiied all over Europe for 30 years and still can't master this run in the afternoon Laughing

Since the new Schlossalmbahn at Bad Hof was built it makes it a more attractive base and one I would consider now, just like the feel of Dorf and Hotel Romerhof
latest report
@rogg, only been to Bad Hofgastein the once and thought it was a very pleasant town as a base. Only slight drawback was it can be a fair walk to the gondola so be careful where you book in town.

We stayed in the Impuls Hotel Tirol which was a decent hotel but a longer walk to the lifts than was fun with kids. It is pretty easy to get the bus to the other bases, we had a day at Dorf and Sport Gastein too which was easy to do and definitely worthwhile.
snow conditions
OzParent wrote:

I’ve just been to the area for the first time and really enjoyed it. I was in Bad Hofgastein and I think I made the right choice, it’s much bigger than Dorfgastein but still a nice place. I visited Bad Gastein and didn’t really like it - not sure why. Whichever town you choose you can access them all using the bus service, I had a car so can’t comment on how good it was but I didn’t hear any major complaints.

There isn’t much in the way of resort runs and nursery slopes in the resort towns but there is a small satellite area called Angertal that looks the best place for taking lessons. It’s in the valley between the Hofgastein and Gastein areas and has decent parking, a big Intersport shop and rental, two gondolas, chairlifts and t-bar/travelators etc. It is a 10-15min drive from Hofgastein and can also be reached by bus. It also is quite a bit higher up so is a little better for snow.

Then there is Sportgastein which is a fair way up the valley, probably 20-30 mins in the car or maybe more on the bus but it is well worth visiting at least once in the week. It a lot higher up and has the most snowsure skiing of the area. It’s above the trees and a bit bleak but some excellent runs and views.

Dorfgastein is also easy on the bus or a 10 min drive and is another great area with skiing over into the next valley.

It’s nice area and one I’m sure I will return to.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agent ElzP reporting from Dorfgastein - 1hr 10 on the train (8.12, the ski train!) from Salzburg, ski bus waiting to whizz to the lift. Currently having a beer at the gondola mittelstation after a really nice day skiing - conditions on piste pretty great considering the warmth and lack of snow. Bit busy but not chaotic, maybe 5 mins wait for the main lifts.

I found the reds challenging enough for me, being an interminable intermediate. Blues seemed to be mostly narrowish tracks. Skis from Egger, excellent service. Thumbs up all round for the area, a lot of fun! It's so very nice to be skiing in Austria again!

Off to Schladming in the snow tomorrow. Very Happy
latest report
Thanks for the report ElzP, good to have confirmation that the train is a decent option. I too found the reds quite challenging, in fact I avoided the blacks for most of my week there but then realised on the last day that they were virtually the same as the reds!
snow report
@ElzP, good to read your comments. We went over to Dorfgastein a few times when we were in Großarl end Jan/early Feb. It got quite windy towards the end of our stay so we were glad we had been earlier as the link back over (the gondola) stopped.
My bad moment on the Großarl side was on Red 10 which for some reason we hadn’t skied before and after the initial steep narrow bit at the top I froze when the piste turned and widened out and my OH and the friend with us had to wait a bit, while I shuffled around, sideslipped, cursed and swore under my breath - then finally turned and couldn’t get down fast enough and into the cafe conveniently at the bottom to get over my wobble.
latest report
Pamski wrote:
@ElzP, good to read your comments. We went over to Dorfgastein a few times when we were in Großarl end Jan/early Feb. It got quite windy towards the end of our stay so we were glad we had been earlier as the link back over (the gondola) stopped.
My bad moment on the Großarl side was on Red 10 which for some reason we hadn’t skied before and after the initial steep narrow bit at the top I froze when the piste turned and widened out and my OH and the friend with us had to wait a bit, while I shuffled around, sideslipped, cursed and swore under my breath - then finally turned and couldn’t get down fast enough and into the cafe conveniently at the bottom to get over my wobble.

Shuffle, side slip, curse, swear. I utterly recognise your description of the freeze. Why is it sometimes impossible to turn?! I think it was D5 for me yesterday - gotta love a steep camber in the shadow - but I think we managed to miss 10.
ski holidays
Schladming today. It was snowing big wet flakes in Salzburg when we left (08.16, 1hr 34 on the train). The snow line seemed to be oddly higher out Schladming way?

After a bit of fannying about (why we BOTH separately looked at the piste map and thought it was a gondola to Rohrmoos? And booked ski hire up there...), skied mostly on Hochwurzen and Reiteralm. Conditions were bumpy as hell, took me a long time to get around. The top of the Hochwurzen gondola was absolutely ridiculous. Should have known - hard groomed surface (you could see the frozen limes), snow on top, quite warm for most of the day, it was shaping for a bit of carnage on a Saturday in mega holiday weeks. Was even more fun when it got a bit colder and started to freeze. Evil or Very Mad

We'll have to come back because we just couldn't cover enough ground - I was knackered after a couple of hours of bumps! However, would avoid the two man chair in Reiteralm... my god, that must be the worst jolt ever, you get bent double! In all, it was just one of those days where nothing quite works out, but hey, it happens. Was cheered by my posh Stockli Nela 80 skis from Veith, they were very kind to me.

I reckon Monday will be beautiful after more snow and cold, and time for it to be groomed a couple of times. We are hoping to get out mid-week if possible, anyone have tips for the place with the best conditions? The area near Radstadt looked snowy when we went past on the train?
snow report
@ElzP, Flachau, you'll love it.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, we're spending the weekend at Haus Susanne, weekend after next. snowHead But might do a day from the Alpendorf side as a warm up...
ski holidays
Friend sent a video riding ankle deep fresh snow just above Altenmarkt this morning. This was at around 1000m.
Looks lovely after this fresh snow fall.
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:
Friend sent a video riding ankle deep fresh snow just above Altenmarkt this morning. This was at around 1000m.
Looks lovely after this fresh snow fall.

Very heavy yesterday, but last nights colder temps gave a lovely top up for this morning. Very Happy
snow conditions
Heading to Bad Hofgastein on the 11th. Conditions look decent enough but hoping for a freshen up before we arrive.... as most people do Very Happy
latest report
Been sent some nice pics from Flachauwinkl this morning. Powder in the trees.
snow conditions
If anyone is interested, and in the area, to see an apres legend next Sunday

https://www.snow-space.com/de/winter/informationen-skigebiet/service/events/DJ-Oetzi-Gipfeltour_e_400
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy