Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
New thread for next season folks. Better get those bookings in soon. We're already full Christmas, New Year and Carnivale. Please feel free to add advice, useful information, trip reports etc. Or just ask us a question. Local knowledge always wins out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No questions, but top marks for getting the thread open!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If anyone is interested in brightening up their home/apartment/student digs, whatever, or if you just want a souvenier of your trip to our area, I found this great British Artist who knocks out Retro ski posters at a tenner a peice. He has Flachau/Wagrain/Alpendorf available.
https://www.redbubble.com/people/GAGodel/shop
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got a bit excited there, but its pretty generic. nice though, and cheaper than "official" merch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, ..... not strictly Amada but your local knowledge would be appreciated..

What's the best/easiest way to get from Salzburg Hbf to Obertauren on public transport. The train to Radstadt looks like they take hour?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gaz_H, Depends on how many in your party. 4 or more then book a local taxi, approx €50 each way pp. If your travelling on your own, then by bus. 511 Salzburg HBF to Untertauren then change on to the 280 to Obertauren. 280 bus from Radstadt if you take the train.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RedandWhiteFlachau, that's great thanks. I'm on my own..... hopefully!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not Just for Winter.

Flachau hosts one of Europe's largest E-Bike Festivals every June. This year's dates are 24-26 Jun 22 and feature E-Bike races (the BOSCH E-MTB CHALLENGE 2022 and the E-TOUR OF SALZBURGER LAND - PART OF THE EBWT), an events centre, family and gourmet tours and loads more. Programme details here for anyone interested in coming along.

https://www.flachauebikefestival.com/de/page/programm

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 30-05-22 17:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Booked for Christmas Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bought across from the old thread on behalf of '@Chick, '

"Any opinions on Wagrain for a week in January for 3 fellas.
We have stayed in Flachau, Schladming and Bad HOFFGASTEIN before as well most other resorts in Austria.Looking for somewhere we haven't been before and also with a bit of life."
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chick. Wagrain is a bit quieter than your other options and you haven't said when you last stayed in the Snowspace Area. New lifts out of Wagrain include the new Flying Mozart and Panoramabahn which (IMHO) make Wagrain the ideal central location to maximise your skiing. Plenty of apartments available in January at reasonable rates.
As for Apres, as this isn't your first Rodeo, you'll know that most Apres happens on or at the bottom of the slopes. Best spot in Wagrain is probably the Kuhstall at the bottom of the Flying Mozart run. In the village there's the Riverside Bar, Tenne Bar, The PeopleZ (sic) Bar, Joe's Pub and a few others, but last (COVID) season they didn't all open. Restaurant choices are not as good as Flachau but the California Steak House does what it says on the tin.

In summary, for shortest transfers, wider nightlife choice, largest ski area in the Ski Amade and winter ambience I'd go for Flachau over Wagrain for your demographic.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, considering a vacation at Schladming on Dec. 17-24. How crowded is the resort expected to be that week? And do they usually open all the lifts/pistes the week before Christmas (snow-permitting of course) or do they have a habit of saving the best for the holidays? Cheers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@chenav, Currently the Eastern end from Hauser Kaibling is scheduled to open from 02 Dec 22. The first full opening week will be the 17-24 Dec 22. As Christmas falls on the Sunday this year, we would expect that week to be a "High Season" week but I doubt it will be anywhere near as busy as the following week. With good snow the resort will want to open as much as possible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Transport Update. There is still no news on the resurrection of the dedicated Salzburg to "Snowspace" Bus for the 22/23 Ski Season and Post Bus timings are not great. But for those looking at Public Transport options, the easiest is still the Bus-Train-Bus option.

For Saturday Transfers:

Buses run from Salzburg Airport to the Salzburg HBF every 15 mins or so and cost €2-4. The trip takes 10-15 mins depending on traffic.

Trains from Salzburg HBF to Altenmarkt, Radstadt or Schladming direct take between 1hr 16 and 1hr 34 Mins. Cost varies depending on Class and day of the week, but expect to pay around €18.60 (Standard Fare on Trainline). There are several, departing at: 08.16, 12.16, 16.16, 18.16 and 20.16.

The Post Buses from Radstadt station are free with your lift pass (not that they check much in winter) and buses usually "meet" the trains. So from there 30 Mins to Flachau with stops along the way including Radstadt, Altenmarkt and Reitdorf. You may need to change buses to get to Eben and Wagrain but they're all linked with minimal waiting time.

Hope this helps those travelling independently.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks RWF, I’ve just booked for Ski Amadé in mid Jan. I’ll have a car (hopefully!) but you never know, I might need alternative transport.

My ‘my Ski Amadé’ card arrived last week, just waiting for the time I can buy the lift pass to go on it. Hopefully the pound might have bounced back a bit by then!
snow report
@japes1275, love the my amade card. I bought the annual ticket in July so had summer lifts and also avoided the winter price increase.
snow report
@japes1275, @holidayloverxx, I'm hoping they've made the "My Ski Amade" cards a bit more robust for this season. Last year none of ours (4) actually worked when it came to using them on the Automatic Gates and we had to resort to the older Season Pass cards. Now that might have been somehting to do with all the COVID stuff so fingers crossed it will be sorted for this year.
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, oh dear..its worked just fine this summer so also fingers crossed
snow report
Booked accommodation for a Solo trip to Schladming end of Jan beginning of Feb. Looking forward to it. Ski'd Radstadt / Zauchensee before. Wanted more mileage and choice. Schladming looks great. Planning on Bus from airport and train to transfer, looks easy. Not booked flights yet. Anyone got any opinion of best flight on a Saturday morning from any London airport?
snow conditions
@DHosking, best in what way? Start by checking the train times then work back...allow time for the airport tram, then again for getting through passport control and baggage reclaim and there's your indicative flight arrival time.
ski holidays
@DHosking, Try and find one that enables you to catch the 12.15 from Salzburg Hbf, so you need to be landing no later than 10.30 to be safe. That'll get you into Schladming by 2pm. Time enough to sort out your gear and hotel. Obviously the next option is land by 14.45 to hit the 16.30 train. On the ski front, I'd plan a day from Schladming to ski the "Snowspace", Flachau/Wagrain and Alpendorf.
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, what are the travel options between Flachau and Schladming for a day trip with no car?

We're having our first trip to Flachau next March and might go for a day to Schladming.
snow conditions
Jagerbull wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, what are the travel options between Flachau and Schladming for a day trip with no car?

We're having our first trip to Flachau next March and might go for a day to Schladming.

It depends on how many of you there are. For 2 people, cheapest is free bus to Altenmarkt or Radstadt Train Station and hop on the train down to Schladming. 4 or more folks, then probably best to hire one of the local shuttle taxis to take you there. Give me a shout when you come out, if I'm not working then happy to show Snowheads around.
ski holidays
By bus and train, wot @RedandWhiteFlachau says...but check the timetable. It could take 3 hours from altenmarkt (schladming is 25 mins in a car). There are more regular trains from radstadt but its still more than an hour and a half
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, @holidayloverxx, there will be 6 of us. Sounds like the taxi option will be best. Probably hard to estimate a price at this point!

Thanks for the offer RWF.
ski holidays
@Jagerbull, send an email to Huber Taxis in Flachau and they will quote
ski holidays
Been studying the Schladming Piste map. Question, what is the best way to get from the Planai too Hochwurzen pistes?
From the piste map it looks like there is no skiable link? From what I can tell you would have to ski too the mid station of the Planai west cable car and then get the lift down to the valley from there to get on the Rohrmoos1 lift on the Hochwurzen side? Is that the case?
in which case I have another question, to ski to mid station Planai West is a black run (6 or 6a). How dooable is this for a fairly poor intermediate? Cheers in advance for any responses.
snow report
@DHosking, correct, download on the Planai west. IIRC piste 6 used to be a red and is fairly wide for the most part, so should be ok for an inermediate. Maybe don't do it early or late in the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Planai West lift, get on at the top if you don't fancy skiing to mid. It is steep, not very busy though. HTH. Ange.
snow report
We're thinking of Wagrain next season... Went there 20-odd years ago as an absolute beginner so can't remember much. Would be great to have some inside info on the slopes for intermediates please! And getting around... Looks like the adjacent areas are connected by lifts right? Thanks in advance! Smile
latest report
@DHosking, do not make the mistake of skiing from Planai to Hochwurzen! Take the ski bus in the morning and ski back to Planai when you're done with Hochwurzen.

The 6 at Planai is doable, a little narrow at parts, but I think they mark it black mainly because there are some hard red sections and there is no escape route.

Yes, you'll next have to download at the mid-station down to Planai West. This is acceptable, but you've next got the Rhormoos I, which is a slow, rickety old 2-seater, followed by a second chairlift over Rhormoos, which tediously rises you what seems like an additional 4 metres, and yet still you'll have only reached the bottom of Hochwurzen, with a short schlep of flat skiing still to go to get to the gondola station.

By the time you reach the top of Hochwurzen, you've taken 4 lifts, have not skied for over an hour and you're so cold you'll need to spend another 45 minutes warming up in the cafe at the top.

Skiing the other way isn't so bad. Its a little flat getting down there but at least you're skiing. And while Hochwurzen is the smallest section, I found its pistes quite charming, so I wouldn't skip it either.
ski holidays
would ski Amadé keep me interested for a week. I ski off piste as much as possible I like blacks and itineraries, chop, crud bumps etc.
snow report
There is enough in just one of the Amade resorts to DESTROY you! Very Happy You'ld better be good. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Gilby, really? I'd been advised it's pretty flat and un challenging
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:

Go to France bro. Eh oh!
snow report
Timberwolf wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Go to France bro. Eh oh!

or St Anton dude.

But as ive been to St Anton several times It would be nice to visit different areas. Was wondering how the Amade area is.
1 person says it will kill me off another say's go to France.
St Anton didn't kill me and it wasn't in France.
I think I'll survive outside of France again but seek more than cruising blues and reds.
Thanks for the advice
snow conditions
@Ctina, Wagrain will suit you really well if you're an intermediate. With the Panaorama lift over to Kleinarl and then to Zauchensee you have 210km of lift linked piste. Have a look at the Snowspace Website for more info. https://www.snow-space.com/en/winter/region/villages/wagrain.

@Mother hucker, If you want lift access to off-piste, yes if you base yourself in the Gastein Valley. If you're happy to skin uphill a bit then Zauchensee, Schladming or Grossarl have some cracking options.
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau,
Thanks, Any recommendations for a guide in the area?
latest report
@Mother hucker, skiing back country in Zauchensee is anything but flat and unchallenging! There are some big routes up there if you are prepared to skin for an hour. Unfortunately I'm not skiing this season, bit of an argument with my downhill bike in August but Scarpa my OH would be happy to guide you, and if you are heading out Schladming way there's no better guide than Waynos, although be afraid if he tells you " it might get a little tight" on some of his forest runs!
snow report
@Kooky, Thanks for that Kooky
it won't be until season 23/24. I'm fully booked up for this coming season.
Skining an hour is no drama.
I've had some big stacks this year on my DH rig but walked away with minor injuries.
what you done to yourself?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy