Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has booked for 2023

Poster: A snowHead
jafa wrote:
Heads up re booking.

My flight with EJ fm Bristol to Salzburg 10/12 has been cancelled. This isnt looking good already for next winter.

@jafa

I was looking at that flight a few weeks ago and it was showing as "sold out" so can't see the logic in cancelling it. Seems to me that all airlines are advertising cheaper flights to tempt folk to book, only then to cancel & try to get them to re-book onto a more expensive / less convenient flight
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jafa,
Quote:

Heads up re booking.

My flight with EJ fm Bristol to Salzburg 10/12 has been cancelled. This isnt looking good already for next winter.

FFS, Airlines at the moment are certainly not covering themselves with glory.

my daughters squeezyjet return flight from tenerife in a couple of weeks time has just been moved from departing friday 10pm to gatwick (where she flies out from) to friday 11am to luton, so not only does she lose a day on the beach/pool for her short break, she also has to get home from luton instead of gatwick.
i had just been looking into sorting out her airport parking for her, but now she is going to have to get a train from Bath-Gatwick then Luton-Bath. i know it is not the end of the world, but if i had booked the parking "free cancellation" normally means a voucher for another time.

me and my daughters have a short break coming soon and are due to fly with squeezy, ski flights carried over from the last couple of years, from Gatwick to Rome in august, and am getting concerned that there will be some kind of cancellation/change of flight as i have airport parking booked already.

it certainly backs up my view that self driving to ski resorts with families is still the easiest way to go, though that obviously depends on the resort location!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When an EJ flight is showing as sold out it generally means there’s something wrong
It looks like they are starting the Bristol flight a week later
Friends of ours only booked the 10/12 flight a couple of weeks ago and it was cheap as chips so I suspect they chopped it due to lack of seats being filled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jafa wrote:
When an EJ flight is showing as sold out it generally means there’s something wrong
It looks like they are starting the Bristol flight a week later
Friends of ours only booked the 10/12 flight a couple of weeks ago and it was cheap as chips so I suspect they chopped it due to lack of seats being filled

Looks like they are at it again, this time with a new Bristol - Innsbruck return flight just posted

https://www.easyjet.com/en/buy/flights?isOneWay=off&pid=www.easyjet.com

Massive difference in the cost of the new flight outbound on Wednesday 14/12 & return Wednesday 21/12 in comparison with the existing flight costs outbound on Friday 16 Dec & return on Friday 23 Dec.

The cynic in me says that they will cancel the cheaper flights and load everyone onto the more expensive flight once they receive sufficient bookings
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nahdendee, eeks hope not. I am booked for 16th to 23rd Dec
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well boys and girls, good news for a change.

I got an e mail from EJ on the 17th June informing me that my flight was cancelled. This was a flight that I had already moved three times. Twice I paid extra, once there was no charge.

I just happened to look at my credit card statement this morning, not expecting to see anything, but within 24 hours, re credited, the initial charge, plus the two extra ones. 24hrs FFS. Thats fantastic response.

Big chuck up to EJ

Credit where credits due. Yes I have to re arrange travel, but honestly atm we are happier driving, so no complains re this actual cancellation personally. I know not everyone has the flexibility we have but well happy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just got a request through from the rental agency we use to let out our apartment asking what weeks we want to make it available next season. The interesting thing is that the weekly price for letting out including the Christmas week is much higher than the New Year price and higher than 2 of the 4 weeks of half term. From this I deduce that they are expecting the Christmas week to be very busy this year and New Year quiet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just booked Easyjet LGW/GVA for Jan 2023. I noticed that Swiss were also operating a daily flight LGW/GVA, outbound was £46 but inbound was £146 so not sure how that pricing came about for a flight seven months away.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Woohoo! I can add to this thread! A cheeky 5 day pre-Christmas break booked to Flaine via Sunweb for £359 pp inc lift pass, once I spotted it I couldn't not book it. Sideways_Jnr will either be really annoyed or really excited he's going to be sitting in a car for hours on his turning into a teenager birthday but am sure he'll get over it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@always29, is his birthday on way out or back?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well just booked two weeks in Bourg ,,,,,we aim to ski most of the resorts round there as we get free lift passes in all of them (very old f**ts ) Blush ...unless they change their minds from last year ...and then onwards for a week in the Dolomites Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

well just booked two weeks in Bourg

That'll be Bourg en Bresse? Or Bourg d'Oisans? Or one of the others?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I took it as the town with a church dedicated to St Maurice!! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Bourg st Maurice ....funicular up to Les Arcs/La Plagne and easy drives to Val Thorens and Val D'isere
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DaveD,
Quote:

Bourg st Maurice ....funicular up to Les Arcs/La Plagne and easy drives to Val Thorens and Val D'isere

Is there some reason you name the two extreme ends of the Tarrentaise ski area? To get to Val Thorens you actually have to drive through St Martin de Belleville and Les Menuires. TBH if I was driving to the 3 valleys from Bourg st Maurice I'd park up in Courchevel 1300. Or if I was really keen all the way up the valley to Pralognan en Vanoise
snow report
johnE wrote:
@DaveD,
Quote:

Is there some reason you name the two extreme ends of the Tarrentaise ski area? To get to Val Thorens you actually have to drive through St Martin de Belleville and Les Menuires. TBH if I was driving to the 3 valleys from Bourg st Maurice I'd park up in Courchevel 1300. Or if I was really keen all the way up the valley to Pralognan en Vanoise

Not really ..I was in Moutiers last season and we went there ..at the end of March S M d B was a bit low and Courcheval was waterskiing so you are probably right we could park at S M d B ..I like Val Thorens though ..who knows where we will get to!
snow conditions
Booked flights to Munich for Easter, with a view to heading into Austria. Lufthansa wanted £900 per person! Had to use easyJet, who were considerably cheaper.
ski holidays
grumpygargoyle wrote:
Booked flights to Munich for Easter, with a view to heading into Austria. Lufthansa wanted £900 per person! Had to use easyJet, who were considerably cheaper.

Yes saw that we booked shortly after they released them and they were really cheap then, guess they have sold a lot of seats!
latest report
I checked early and didn't book, I've learnt my lesson Good work @NickyJ,
latest report
grumpygargoyle wrote:
I checked early and didn't book, I've learnt my lesson Good work @NickyJ,

On the book early front. Book car hire now. Expedia, through Quidco. I have paid £184 for days for standard estate. That was Alamo.

I am watching Sunweb waiting for the accommodation I am hoping to book, as it hasnt been released yet
snow report
@DaveD,

Quote:

Not really ..I was in Moutiers last season and we went there ..at the end of March S M d B was a bit low and Courcheval was waterskiing so you are probably right we could park at S M d B ..I like Val Thorens though ..who knows where we will get to!

if you were going to drive and park, then you would probably be better off parking in les menuires, loads of free parking close to lifts and more options to return to your car from the slopes.
i would recommend the preyerand area (other areas are available Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ) easy to jump straight on to the slopes from there.
latest report
Yep, 3 trips booked and all DIY: big family gathering booked over Christmas (Les Menuires); Feb half term with just my daughter (La Plagne - nostalgic trip); 1st week Easter hols with daughter (and possibly husband, dog and son) in Val Thorens. And - if I can swing it - a week by myself at short notice anywhere the snow is good, but suspect this may lead to a revolt in the family Very Happy
snow report
A week self drive half Board in Les Deux Alpes in January for my 50th. Going with friends again after the success of last years trip to Valmeinier. Found half board with Sunweb (so includes lift pass) for not a lot more than self catering. Very excited
latest report
4 pages! It's not even July! Lots of people book far ahead.
snow report
When you are constrained to school holidays it is almost a must.

My daughter came home two days ago with letter for school ski trip in 2024. She is desperate to go on it, so I have signed and sent back in. Need another thread for 2024 bookings already Laughing
ski holidays
Wey Hay - I'm booked!

Myself and Fartbagette are for Tignes Lac on 21st Jan with Crystal. I got a half decent price, which if it follows last year, will only go up. We haven't stayed in Lac since the kids were small (probably 20 years ago to Hotel Le Lavachey) and haven't been to the area for around 5 years (Hotel Diva, Val Claret).

The plan is to get her some ski boots - I know JoJo has finally retired - but hopefully Sandrine of Mountain Story or Jean Charles will be available.

We've missed 2 years - but bought kit to make ourselves feel better about that.

At last - something to look forward to and motivation to get fit.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, no chance of Sandrine she's no longer in Tignes and Jean Charles also retired.
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
@Old Fartbag, no chance of Sandrine she's no longer in Tignes and Jean Charles also retired.

Oh Dear.

Any suggestions now? Guy Clarey?

Will we have to go to Val D'Isere? Bruno @ Killy Sports / Yanick at Mountain Pro?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
Have booked a pre Christmas week, Fri -Fri, Air BnB accommodation, flights with EasyJet, and flights for first week of Easter school holidays to Munich, thinking of Mayrhofen but accommodation not booked

Now have the Easter accommodation booked
ski holidays
just finalised all accommodation/transport for both Christmas (les menuires) and Easter (val thorens) 22/23 trips to the 3valleys.

normally we use the Eurotunnel for our driving trips to the alps, but this time i have persuaded my daughters to go by ferry at Easter, we are going out overnight with a cabin, by Brittany ferries from Portsmouth to Caen, returning the same route.

i have been waiting for Eurotunnel for their schedule encompassing next Easter to be released, but they have not released them yet, but being an impatient bar-steward, i looked into Brittany ferries instead.

as we will be travelling from bath, it knocks off around 130miles each way, and a couple of hours driving compared to going to Folkestone. though i would not dare suggest to the girls going that route at Christmas, of fear of being lynched by them, with the risks of horrendous winter storms being greater.

i just recently did the overnight ferry from Portsmouth for a trip to the 24hours of le mans, and thought it was good, it was relaxing having breakfast just before disembarking!!

we normally leave on the Thursday evening and stay overnight a couple of hours out of Calais, then pootle on down to Albertville and do a shop and overnight stay there for an early Saturday morning start up to the mountain. this time, we will be leaving Thursday evening for the overnight ferry and then travel to Albertville during the Friday, roughly 8-9 hours according to google maps.

financially, it will probably work out similar to Eurotunnel, taking into account the saving on 130miles of fuel each way, and though we have booked a cabin, it is cheaper than our usual overnight stop.

at Christmas we are going to les menuires, arriving xmas eve and departing new years day, we are going via a 5night trip to Paris. on the way back we will be having an overnight stop at Calais for my girls to wander aimlessly around cite D'Europe the following morning, whilst i will be carrying out a military style operation in the booze aisles Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

as there are no early bird deals on lift passes for the 3v, and we have our own kit, there is nothing left for me to do now but tap my fingers impatiently for the next few months

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 21-07-22 13:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We have booked Saalbach last week Feb - 241 lift pass deal with Crystal and prices did seem to have dropped a little compared to previous searches, so jumped on it - will get back to DIY holidays following year hopefully
latest report
I've booked my "boys" (we are all 49-54!!) trip. Fri 13th (eek) to Sat 21st Jan to friends chalet in Verchaix near Samoens/Morillon.

Eurotunnel booked (gone up a fair bit) using part payment from an existing booking moved 3 times and driving down. We should be on the mountain and skiing 7days for the princely sum of about £480 a head, just add food and drinks!

First trip with the full complement of 4 of us since January 2018, so exciting to have the whole band back together! Also excited to introduce them to Grand Massif, as I have skied there a few times but new to them.
snow report
Like @roguemazza, we've also booked with Crystal for it's 241 lift pass deal. We're going to Hinterglemm, so same pass which is expensive! In early January, though, so cheaper than February.
ski holidays
Yes! Booked back in February for first week of February 23, the week before half term. Going back to st Johann for the third time, this time with my sister, her husband and son. First time we’ve been away with them and their first family ski trip. So excited already!!
snow conditions
Flights booked for Xmas, feb half term and March. Don’t have to worry about accommodation or equipment as have our own apartment in the Maurienne valley so can just turn up and head off skiing. Not sure which annual pass to get this year as we are so close to several large ski areas.
latest report
Heads up: Crystal currently have a "Buy one Lift Pass and get one Free" offer atm, which ends Tue 2nd Aug....although their prices have ramped up considerably over the last month.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Heads up: Crystal currently have a "Buy one Lift Pass and get one Free" offer atm, which ends Tue 2nd Aug....although their prices have ramped up considerably over the last month.

I also saw this and saved £400 Toofy Grin
latest report
Bit the bullet and put a deposit on/booked flights for Val Thorens UCPA intro to off-piste course for week from 7 January 2023. Got flights to Chamberry at sensible hours with Jet2 at a quite reasonable price + a discount code. Flights were a lot cheaper or I could get a better combination of flight times than going to Geneva like I usually do or Grenoble. Although now I am wondering if that might be a bad idea given the horror stories I have heard from various people about delays/diversions at Chambery due to fog (I have never had problems at Chambery though).

Did the intro to off-piste course at UCPA VT in January 2020 just before Covid stuff and had an amazing time. Booked again in 2021 and 2022 but both trips ended up getting cancelled so a bit anxious same could happen again but I am more optimistic this year. Have until 30 days before to pay the rest so will probably wait until as late as possible just in case France goes Covid mad and bans Brits again.

Anyone have experience with transfers from Chambery to VT without paying a fortune? Altibus look like the only coach transfer from Chambery to VT as far as I can see with small bit of text saying 'Resumption of the line for winter 2022-2023' though not possible to book yet.
snow report
Delighted to add to the thread after easyjet reinstated Newcastle to Geneva flights next winter Very Happy Hopefully they won't cancel them...

Anyway, we're making our return to Tignes for 11 days in January. Can't wait as we haven't skied Espace Killy since just before covid.
ski holidays
Kinda! We're on a bit of a travelling mission at the moment, so December/early Jan we'll be near ski resorts in Romania. The plan then is to move on to Bansko, then late season a month in Austria. Only the Romania flights and accommodation booked so far - just under 3 months in Brasov, 20 mins bus from Poiana Brasov for early season - everything crossed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy