Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And that's a wrap. How did your season go?

Poster: A snowHead
It wasn't as great as last one when it comes to powder, but with lifts open this season, I got more days one lifts. For xc skiing it was one of best season after I quit racing, so all in all it was pretty good season with 86 days on skis, which is quite decent number for someone with regular job I would say Laughing If weather changes a bit in next few weeks, there might be another few days to this, but otherwise that would be it for me, even though there's still some snow in mountains, but when it starts to be +20c down in valley I somehow lose interest in skiing Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the best ever season for me. I managed 33 days ( which as a punter, isn’t half bad Eh oh! ). I skied in December, January, February, March, April which I am rather proud of. I had some powder days, some whiteout days, some sunbathing days, some half term days, some rainy days, the whole shooting match ! My lad worked a season as an instructor, so all in all, a rather contented Wolfpack.
Just gotta work the rest of the year to pay for it all now Eh oh!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@primoz, … ah we love the weird variation of this time of year … skiing at 9am, lunch at 12 in a hut … crazy golf in ski gear at 2pm … tea and cake with guide and instructor friends at 4 outside … log fire in the evening. Yum.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive had bang on 40 days. Beat the boarders being closed at Xmas and new year. Tignes skied for 14 days. Had some nice powder(ish) snow a couple of days and a lot of white out days then the big warm up pretty much kept me on piste the week after Xmas.
Mayrhofen mid Jan 6 days plenty of cold powder and 3 white out days
Feb half term 6 days tignes 1 day of powder several white out days.
Easter 14 days had 3 white out days 2 powder days 1 corn day then warm rotten off piste snow kept me skiing pistes.
not a great weather season but I've had some good days. New Blizzard rustler 10s loved them for all over the mountain
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, Oh, just the 'where-to-go-where-to-stay' things when you've never been. Going for 3 or 4 weeks, we don't want to make a mistake on location, accom etc. I will be nagging the collective brain soon as this season is a memory!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, if it would be normal winter with normal amount of snow, I would most likely be still ski touring for another month, but we got relatively little of snow, and always with storm winds, so even higher up in mountains it's not all that much of snow, and cruising around between rocks, is not really my thing, especially when you need to walk for 5-10km first to get to snow, and same on way back. So mtb and trail running season is obviously starting for me Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@primoz, that was the problem this season. every time it snowed it came down in heavy winds and stripped it away and then always warmed up after it giving a lovely sun crust
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Oh, just the 'where-to-go-where-to-stay' things when you've never been. Going for 3 or 4 weeks, we don't want to make a mistake on location, accom etc. I will be nagging the collective brain soon as this season is a memory!

Fair dos Charliegolf, that's perfectly understandable Very Happy 3-4 weeks will mean an epic trip, with loads of areas at your disposal. Will look forward to adding my two penn'orth wink

A season ticket will be worth your while if you're skiing more than 14 or 15 days. Our Tirol Snow Cards (covering 90 areas, including 5 glaciers) have been amazing and are valid from October to May.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-04-22 11:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Charliegolf, I'm in the same boat as you. Only really skied France but have done some research and a little experience this season and in the past. All my trips next season are to Austria. Theres so many stations all on the one pass and all accessible with a car(big free car parks) or public transport.
I still love France but am changing tactics next season
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mother hucker, @mountainaddict, In short, w would like...

Lots of wide cruisey blues and reds fo 'us'; and a few blacks for me.
Big area for 4 weeks, and maybe a cheeky sneak back in March for a 5th
Good quality 2 bedroom self catering accomodation... comfort for old bones and quiet evenings after skiing
Ski Pass way cheaper than 1400E each if poss
Free parking

Not much to ask... Very Happy , but the choices seem endless...

Should anyone reply, I will move to a new thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, snow card tirol. Zillertal Valley covers all that. Throw in almost every ski resort in the Tirol excluding The Arlberg. 880€ each on the pass
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loads for you to go at Charliegolf! I'd second Mother hucker's suggestion re the Zillertal. Loads of great, varied skiing and excellent public transport linking the ski areas. High, snow-sure skiing with the Hintertux Glacier (which is excellent) as back up too.

Given the length of your trip, the areas covered by theSnow Card and the excellent public transport in Austria, why not consider staying in more than one place?

Other big areas on the that would fit the bill are Sölden (you can also easily get to Obergurgl by bus from there); Ischgl (with great, off the radar, areas with big verticals near by - easily reached by bus (eg See and Kappl). Galtür is excellent too - it's just up the road from Ischgl; Kitzbuhel; and the massive Ski Welt (Söll, Ellmau, Hopfgarten etc).

Yes, truly spoiled for choice. Not such a bad dilemma really Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd describe my "season" as dry but enjoyable. No windy days which was good, and no days lost to bad weather. (Trip reports in my signature.)

9 days around Grenoble in late January - glorious weather and plenty of snow, though hard packed.

9 days around Aosta in mid March - poor visibility and adequate snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was a good year for me, over in Canada.
Age 43 did my first weeks ski touring, having done some day tours in the past, what a treat! Got proper anxiety on the helicopter but settled in over a couple of days, met people not wearing masks for the first time in two years.
My ten year old daughter can now ski every run on the hill so I’ve got another ski buddy:)
Snow a bit on and off but all in all I’ve a job, kids and 30 days skiing, definitely can’t complain.
Oh and there’s a massive Dr shortage everywhere, if any GPs want a job in A ski town PM me ;p
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied in Tignes on the glacier from mid October to beginnings of December. I had a weekend in Valloire afterwards, 2 days in Alpe D'Huez to accompany my boyfriend on his Eurotest attempt. I skied from mid December to end of January in La Plagne, training for the test technique. I passed the test on the 02.02.2022 in Les Menuires. I tore my ACL the day before the test so afterwards I was obliged to lower the training load in February, I helped out as Aide Jardin for the skischool, which I liked, and had my ACL reconstruction surgery on 10.03.2022. I will be spending some time in La Plagne still before the end of the month to close off this wonderful long winter time. Return to skiing is planned for end October/beginning of November of next season. Can. Not. Wait. I will be training to get back to a decent level and going to the Cycle Préparatoire (French 2 week ski instructor course) hopefully in December 2022.
latest report
Finished our last run of the season today in Zermatt. Had 22 days' skiing in total this season, mostly in the Grand Massif.

First time skiing in Zermatt -- must come back!
snow report
@JulieAimeLeSki, did he pass?
snow conditions
Normally go with mates January then March. January was not done due to mates dithering so decided to go March, mates dithered some more, but in the end I lost patience, booked a sad and lonely git one way flight to Geneva, was picked up by a different mate who drove me to Tignes the next day, skied with him and his hooligan 7 yr old son for two days having the time of my life, then got in another days skiing and 4 days boarding before they came to pick me up for the last saturdays skiing again.
Mates wife drove me home 4 days later after a shopping trip to a hypermarche for cheese and wine!
Very nervous about the whole single person thing, loved every second. Spent ages on my own on greens and blues brushing up on technique, hooned about for the rest of the time. Count myself very lucky this season.

New kit...Most importantly, skimojo, which explains why I skied again for the first time in years and had such a good time (Wheeeee, I can ski ! God I love skiing!) Borrowed BBRs I gave away years ago, what a hoot, maybe I should start a thread...what skis should I get after BBRs?
ski holidays
Our two weeks in Banff (starting Jan 1st) we’re incredible.

Looking back on it now, with everything that was going it feels like it was a massive gamble with testing, quarantine, etc. But it was perfect. Can’t wait to get back there.
ski holidays
Managed 2 weeks in the Arlberg in January and February, loved it and it was great to be back on the slopes, I'll be 70 when the next winter comes around , hopefully I can get a few more in before the reaper comes for me. Need 8 more trips for my 100.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, so nice to ask, thank you Smile He unfortunately did not yet pass the eurotest. His closest time was about 7 tenths of a second off the limit. He will up the amount of training and lower the amount of teaching next season. He's a renfort instructor so he needs to fit both the training and the teaching in his vacation time for the moment and that is a complicated affair. I have my fingers crossed already today that next season brings eurotest success Eh oh! Smile
snow conditions
Managed 6 days split between Glenshee and Glencoe. Booked for Les gets New Year - got covid. Booked for glad term, wife got covid. Booked for Easter, daughter unwell and couldn’t travel. Very Happy
latest report
Youngest has A levels this year so we didn't go away, had a fun day at Chill Factore on Good Friday though learning to snowboard.
snow conditions
Had two great weeks, first mid January in Les Arcs and the second in 3 Vallees. Got there for the final two days of the World Cup Tour to see Mikaela Shiffron and Vlhova Petra take to the stage for their presentations. Skied the World Cup down hill course, glad it had softened up a bit eeek!!

Had blue bird skies both weeks everyday, 3 valleys was getting slushy in the afternoons but still 2 fab weeks after a dry spell of two years. New skis: Faction Dictator 2.0 in barbie pink.. Oh yer!!! Had a few comments. LOL Cool
snow report
@Phill207, howd you find the skis? I saw them for rent and sale in a shop?
ski holidays
Managed 3 days of skiing (long weekend) in Les Orres in March on the second attempt (Jan failed as France was closed to the UK at the time). The snow was a month old (it was snowing as I left the resort) and I wasn't sure how good a time I would have (quite a few pistes closed, not very picturesque due to lack of snow etc) but it was fantastic. Don't know whether it was due to missing out in 2021 or what but I loved every run that I did and felt so lucky to have got skiing (even for such a short time - couldn't spare any more time off work); I have a soft spot for small purpose built French resorts, I love the lack of pretensions and like not fretting about getting stuck in the wrong valley so Les Orres is perfect for me. I also like to go by train and used the night sleeper (not the orient Express!).

So all in all good if only too short.
latest report
Mother hucker: These are fantastic. I was a little worried when all the reviews said they were for hard charging aggressive skiers, but i found they were easy to ski. They are stiff having the metal sheets in but there not heavy and you can get them to flex nicely. My speed really increased, i felt safe and these skis held an edge brilliantly. Carving no problem, slush easy blasted through, ice gripped very well. Have not been able to test in powder but that will be for next season now.

Only fell over once in two weeks of skiing, which is good for me, you can make mistakes on them and they won't trip you up, in fact they get you out of trouble. I love them, recommended.

PINK is best Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
My wife and I went to Lech in February and had probably the best 6 day's skiing I've ever had. It was cold, sunny and the pistes were wonderful every day. Hotel a dream. Did a full Arlberg tour one day with 53kms and 33,000 vertical and didn't do the same lift or piste more than once. Not bad for a 65 year-old?

Then took my 20 year old son to Val d'Isere early April for 6 days. Weather not so kind, but 3 sunny days, one 2-day storm and one day of perfect powder including a little off-piste to prove I could still do it.

In total, 12 days skiing, 259,000 vertical feet and 433km skiing. Enjoyed every second.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stressful season for me work-wise, with a lot of last-minute re-arranging going on. Made everything happen though, discovered some new places (not by choice - had to take my January clients outside of France!). Snow-wise, definitely not great although I think all things considered the Tarentaise probably did at least as well as anywhere in Europe.

Started off in early November on the glacier in Tignes. Great pre-season and Christmas conditions (Sainte Foy and Tignes). Warm at New Year. Good early January (Grimentz), then extended dry spell (Grimentz, Areches, Sainte Foy). Snow came back in early Feb and February was, generally, pretty decent. Good times freeriding with a couple of strong crews, then the usual half-term stint teaching kids & beginners, but I had nice groups and a few freeride days mixed-in. March got dire again, no snow at all, mixed with poor weather so not even reliable spring conditions. Then I got hit with Covid. By the end of the month, I decided I'd done enough work this winter so I took myself off to Canada for my first non work-related snowboard trip in 16 years. Resort riding at Revelstoke and Kicking Horse, snowmobile-assisted splitboarding and 2 days heli. Didn't get to go touring at Roger's Pass though. Back in the Tarentaise now, just done a few more days teaching and guiding. Still got a few bits and pieces on before the season ends in another 2 or 3 weeks. Probably end up on around 130 days!

New kit? The Amplid Souly Grail is an incredible snowboard. A unique piece of kit. Powder slayer with the soul of a freecarve board.
snow conditions
In Geneva Airport now on the way home from our final trip of the season.

All in all, the most amount of days I've skied in a season.

6.5 days in Jan in Val di Fassa in the dolomites, 4 days in Morzine in March and 3 days in Tignes this Easter weekend.

January was blue skies and a nice temperature around freezing or just below, March was warm and slushy with 1 day of zero visibility due to fog and this weekend in Tignes was beautiful sun and warm.

The girlfriend has now almost doubled the amount of days she's skied having previously done 15 days over 2 holidays in 2019 and 2020, so she's really coming on well. She skied the Johan Clarey black run down in to Tignes Le Lac this weekend, once at the end of the day with big moguls everywhere and once on icy hardpack in the morning, and she's skiing it well and in control, not just getting down, so that's a big highlight for me.

New gear, a set of poles, a pair of Lange RC 130 wide boots and a carv system (which I'm not hugely impressed with as it keeps disconnecting from the sensors even though they've previously sent a new left sensor.)
snow conditions
Nobody told me it's finished I'm still skiing. Toofy Grin
snow report
I have a final fling next weekend, 3 days in Cervinia. It's been a strange season for me, a great pre Xmas week but with most bars etc still closed in Austria, 1 day in January where I broke a few ribs with a pretty pathetic fall and then few cancelled trips as a result.
Thanks to Easyjet's very generous rebooking policy I managed to move a couple of return flights to next winter so not all lost!
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:

New kit...Most importantly, skimojo, which explains why I skied again for the first time in years and had such a good time (Wheeeee, I can ski ! God I love skiing!) Borrowed BBRs I gave away years ago, what a hoot, maybe I should start a thread...what skis should I get after BBRs?

Probably still find some new old stock of BBRs somewhere on eBay if you set an alert given the sales performance but the Icelantic Shaman is the ski the BBR was trying to be. Most similar conceptually ski now is the Line Blade which is also a hoot.
ski holidays
2 months in the Aosta valley for me, through Feb and March, skiing most mornings for a couple of hours and then more on weekends. Around 48 days getting out in some form I think which was pretty good, including a morning on cross country skis. Fresh snow for a whole 3 days of that! Shocked

Lots of ups and downs skiing-wise, but generally improvement by the end. Fantastic to live in and enjoy the mountains for an extended time! The conditions went from hard pack to nasty ice, back to decent hard pack and slush. I put on nearly a stone due to cheese, meat and wine...

New kit - a nice new Atomic helmet after a tumble which left a dent in my old one, numerous buffs as I kept loosing them, a very useful boot backpack, a dakine fall line ski bag which is seemingly bottomless, some Komperdell ski poles, and a pair of Salomon S-Max W8 which I sold back to the shop after 5 weeks having not got on with them at all.
snow report
A little over 2 months in St Anton. More sunny days than usual. Fewer storm days. Almost no flat light days. So, the on piste skiing was as good as it gets, especially during the quiet days of January, while the offpiste was somewhat limited.

Now on a short break, before the Australian season starts in July, if not before. Back to St Anton in 257 days.
snow report
15 days for me this season (6 in 4 Vallées; 9 in 3Vs); down from 19 in 2018/2019, up from 11 in 2019/2020 and a nil return for obvious reasons in 2020/2021

Highlights:
No injuries!
15yo is comprehensively better than me now in all conditions
13yo is way better than I thought, and the gap between the lads is small enough that I can worry less about keeping them together
Recruited another family to come with us at HT
Bit of training on bleeps/avy
Mad dash to Ireland with the boys to get grey market covid vaxy when it looked like we'd be stuffed by the UK refusal to give 2d jabs to younger teenagers

Lowlights:
15yo is comprehensively better than me now in all conditions snowHead
Have lost a bit of mojo compared to 2019; aim to get that back when we go to Whistler at Xmas 22
Impossible conditions on attempted 3Vs escapade (managed 80km, but lift closures (and resulting carnage to our route planning) made it an unsuccessful attempt)

New kit:
Black Crows Captis (actually bought in March 2020 rolling eyes ), my first set of skis I've owned, already looking at N+1
snow conditions
41 days spread over 7 trips. Worked out “wfh” in Morzine, which has meant I’ve ended up not using all my holiday!

Not much powder although we arrived at the tail end of the huge dump in early December.
snow conditions
In September 2021 booked a cheap 5 days in Les Arcs with Crystal for the first week of January 2022. By December it looked like big C might prevent this so we changed it to an amazing Xmas deal of a week in La Tania hotel for £600 each. We had that deal for less than 24 hours when France shut Brits out. Nowhere left with only 3 days notice so we went to Lanzarote instead. Eventually managed to ski at the Birthday Bash for 6 days! Various things got in the way of more skiing until April and we are just finishing over 2 weeks in France. We had 2 days supposed to be Flaine but stayed in Morillon and the wind (and rain - yes rain not snow) stopped us ever getting across to Flaine. Had the worst ski day ever in over 30 years skiing abroad on 8th April when we were confined to 2 lifts in Morillon due to wind. The best run was a 5km green! Then did 7 days in 3V which was variable. We got there just after the dump of snow but then it got very warm and slushy. Planned to ski Les Arcs and La Plagne this week but still hot and slushy so mainly walking. Went to Tignes today for our last day of the season. It was much colder and the snow stayed firm all morning, started to soften early pm but starting to firm up again high up later. The best part is that Mrmogulski now qualifies for free ski passes in France and I only have 1 more season of paying so doubt we will ski elsewhere after that.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
Ive had bang on 40 days. Beat the boarders

Right on wink Good to hear you are well MH.

Got roughly the same in - just over 2 months. Had to can a trip to Georgia in late Feb for obvious and very tragic reasons. Not sure when that will happen now. Spent some Covid savings on buying lift passes in areas i hadn't tried before. The Espace Diamant was a particularly pleasant surprise and piste technique has improved no end with the long periods of scratchy off-piste. Hit a lot of rocks recently but no injuries – just some good bar-room stories. Got my eyes on some OGSO 90s for next year.

Any season that includes one of the best days of our lives skiing (Sat March 26th) is a good one and, coupled with the joy all round from friends, visitors, business owners and the like of finally being open and enjoying the mountains, this season is one we will look back at fondly.

[url=http://youtube.com/v/MKczU_KMsnc][/url]
snow conditions
After thinking it’s a wrap, it’s not! Arcalís is still open! I was sure that all areas closed on Monday so not sure if they’ve just decided to extend by a week. Last day is now Sunday. I’ll definitely get one day in, maybe 2 if work allows! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy