Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black crows / what model to choose

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I'd like to ask you for advise. I'm going to buy my first skitouring skis. I borrowed skitouring skis only three times so I would say I'm new in skitouring. Anyway I ski for couple of years with downhill skis.

I really like black crows design but I cannot decide what model to choose.

I cannot decide between Black Crows Ova Freebird 175cm and Black Crows Orb 180cm.

I expect I will spend most of time by way uphill (80% ascent, 20% descent). I don't expect any extreme and technical descents, especially not in the begining. My height is 190cm and weight 77kg.

Could you please share with me your tips and reccomendation based on the information above?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 19-12-21 10:37; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have only just started ski touring, so take this for what it is worth.

I borrowed a pair of Black Crows Camox Freebirds and skied powder and slushy granita. I was amazed at how much fun they were in those conditions. I am sure that in cruddy, icy snow, or blasting down groomers, my Stöckli SR95 would eat them, but in those conditions they excelled.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-12-21 20:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a pair of the Black Crows Orb Freebird and find their skiing performance exceptional for such a light ski. The Camox Freebird and Navis Freebird are two wider models with similar performance, but obviously weigh a little more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a pair of Camox Freebirds and they are absolutely fantastic. They ski really well in all conditions, including hardpacked pistes, and are my favourite skis. I have done some 2-3 hour long skinning ascents with them and the weight hasn't been an issue.

Looking at the spec for the Ova Freebird, they are quite a bit narrower underfoot and also lighter, so might not ski quite as well if you are new to skiing offpiste.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’m similar stats to you (188cm/ 80kg) and have Camox freebird for touring. They’re a lovely fun and fairly playful ski. I’ve never found the weight to be an issue (have done 1500m ascent days no issue, and multi day tours with them). Personally I think the camox fb is a more adaptable ski suitable for a wider range of conditions than the orb fb and ova fb. I’ve skied both - orb fb is too light for my tastes, ova too narrow. Also like the slight tail rocker on camox (which is part of reason why it’s a bit playful). I also believe that the camox is more forgiving to weaker downhill technique than the orb. Others may disagree of course!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Camox Freebird
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,
Given you prefer the Camox over the Orb for all around touring
Which size are you on? what size orb FB are you comparing to?

Cheers!

Inboard wrote:
I’m similar stats to you (188cm/ 80kg) and have
Camox freebird for touring. They’re a lovely fun and fairly playful ski. I’ve never found the weight to be an issue (have done 1500m ascent days no issue, and multi day tours with them). Personally I think the camox fb is a more adaptable ski suitable for a wider range of conditions than the orb fb and ova fb. I’ve skied both - orb fb is too light for my tastes, ova too narrow. Also like the slight tail rocker on camox (which is part of reason why it’s a bit playful). I also believe that the camox is more forgiving to weaker downhill technique than the orb. Others may disagree of course!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy