Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau and Ski Welt in January

Poster: A snowHead
Have my flight to Innsbruck booked for early January 2023. I did have Obergurgl booked, but I'm just back from there and now I'm a bit bored with it.. (replacing an easy to get on and off chair with a pain in the ass gondola finally did it for me. A nice mid length loop round down blue/red or black and back on the chair is now a faff as the top of the new gondola involves quite a walk).

Thinking Ski Welt for a change - should be fine in January? Went back in the 80s in March before any snow making...

Anyone have any experience of the Tirol Lodge Hotel right by the bottom of the main gondola (which used to be the funicular). I like the idea of ski in/ski out and apart from a hotel at Hochsoll itself (with no car access in midwinter), there aren't that many such hotels in the area
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Welt should be fine in January from the point of snow. Can get a bit slushy, mind, even in January. As you said, I don't think you'll find many ski-in, ski-out hotels in the Ski Welt.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually there are many hotels adjacent to lifts and pistes in Ski Welt:

Kaiserblick (Ellmau)
Waldhof (Scheffau)
Hohe Salve (Hopfgarten)
Hofer (Brixen)
Sporthotel (Ellmau)
Alpenhof (Westendorf)

There are many more, you can use proximity to lifts to define your search.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mankei, good knowledge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In general SkiWelt is at its best in late January, though I can remember one year deciding to go for a walk rather than ski given the small amounts of snow at the time (conversely have had great conditions early December). I would go for Brixen rather than Ellmau as it is better situated for skiing the Kitzbühel area. However, as is well known, the run back from Hochbrixen is rubbish which might be a factor for some. That said there is some accommodation around the gondola station and in the middle of the piste (driveable with chains even in heavy snow) around that piste which would qualify as "ski in / out" in good conditions. Alternatively there is some accommodation around the bottom of the Tanzer blue run. The run is only open in good conditions (no snow making) but is better than the direct red, if it is open then almost certainly you could ski back to the nearby hotels etc. Only issue is no lift but very regular shuttle to main gondola station.

Nothing wrong with Ellmau at all, dont know that hotel but have skied across the adjacent car park to get to & from the Going area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mankei,

Thanks!

Sporthotel (and quite a few others) are near the nursery slopes - indirect access to main SkiWelt. Kaiserblick looks like an option - just like the Tirol Lodge as it's right next to the main access lift to the Ski Welt. Waldorf in Scheffau claims to be the only one with direct slope access in Scheffau- have emailed them.

Was thinking north side of the mountain range as more likely to have good snow down to the village
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@buchanan101, if you are visiting in January, then there is no reason to be concerned about snow. I ski from November to April in this area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mankei wrote:
@buchanan101, if you are visiting in January, then there is no reason to be concerned about snow. I ski from November to April in this area.

I guess so - not sure why I've always gone high in January (Obergurgl or Ischgl)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent a week in the Skiwelt this January, went to Saalbach for the week before and the week after. It was a nice change. I stayed in Hopfgarten, as a ski resort it’s quiet, but nice valley run and handy for getting on the train to Kitzbühel.
I’m considering doing the same next January if I can get the 3 weeks away from work.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ellmau has a number of options near the centre of town which are effectively ski in/ski out or with a very short walk to the piste which runs down to the two T-bars (Kirchbichl and Bärenlift). In the morning you ski down and take the Kirchbichl lift to the top, and then turn right and ski down to the Hartkaiser car park where a 25m walk gets you to the escalator. At the end of the day, ski down towards Hartkaiser but take a right turn at the lift station and skate along the walkway to the Hausberg lift. This takes you up above the village and offers a number of routes down which will arrive back near your accommodation.

Using this, the Hotel Der Bär, Kaiserblick and Kirchbichlhof are all options and you can be near the centre of town if you want access to the restaurants and bars there. That said, I find the town a little underwhelming. The Tirol Lodge is a new development and looks very good in a modern way which isn't really to my taste - it is literally next to the lift and the main car park, so I wouldn't say it was in a picturesque location, but if you are looking for full board and will avoid going into town then it's probably ideal.

In January, almost all of the slopes should be in good condition. It's the best time to visit, though when we were there in mid-February this year the whole area was pretty quiet and even the notorious Hochbrixen valley run was in excellent condition all the way down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buchanan101 wrote:

Was thinking north side of the mountain range as more likely to have good snow down to the village

That is trueish. The run down to Scheffau is often not so good for the last couple of hundred metres but the one to Ellmau is usually in a good state all the way. In my experience the best valley run, in fact probably the best run in SkiWelt, is from Choralpe down to Brixen. There is a short "black" section in the middle but there is a path diversion around that if it is an issue. No accommodation directly at the end of the run though
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're going back to Kaiserblick for the third time in Feb 2023. I've looked at Tirol Lodge twice but ultimately the full service hotel facilities suits our family more, so we keep going back to Kaiserblick. For pure skiing I think Tirol Lodge is the best location - it just doesn't have decent food in itself and relies on what's next door. The Kirchbich lift to the main slopes opens a half or a full hour later than the gondola right next to Tirol Lodge and then run back at the end of the day having taking the Hausberg lift is not great. The queues can be long going up that at 4:30. That said, in Jan in might not be a problem and the snow should be firmer. I am normally there in half term and the place is flooded with Dutch and many others from all over EU so it's just busy.

So if it were me and some mates skiing, I would stay at the Tirol Lodge to get up the slopes first before everyone else each day. It's also super convenient right at the foot of a very decent home run. It maximises decent skiing time.

In Feb, we often download on the Gondola and then get the minibus back to Kaiserblick which is every 30 mins, at the end of the day it gets busy and can only fit in 12 passengers so sometimes you have to wait for the next minibus that serves the Ellmau hotels just up the hill from the centre. That said, at the end of the day the minibus comes round quick and you might get two of them in quick succession.

So, staying at Tirol Lodge gives you more than 30 mins at the start and at the end of the day for nice longer decent runs. However, we like the cushy surroundings of Kaiserblick so happy to compromise. It keeps the family happy, so all good. Good food, good swimming pools, good kids room.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I booked Tirol Lodge, though changed to the end of January for only 4 days.

I like to get on the first lift, so this sounds ideal. Not bothered about evenings - ski a long day and then just chill (on my own for this trip, going with OH to Selva in March - she doesn't ski, but that looks a good choice for walkers)

I remember that home run from the 80s - it was in March, still skiable, just, apart from a mud section..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@buchanan101, I've been looking at that hotel. The position looks excellent.

Will be interested to hear what you think of it snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
@buchanan101, I've been looking at that hotel. The position looks excellent.

Will be interested to hear what you think of it snowHead

I'm a bit lazy in my old(ish) age - I like ski in, ski out, or a very close equivalent which is tricky in Austria. Found such a hotel in Zell am See last year, and Obergurgl needed a 100m walk for the lifts or 25m walk for the Solden bus - which has no problems with seats.

Will let you know about Tirol Lodge; certainly a fantastic position...

Have also booked a hotel in Selva for March, right next to the slopes.
snow report
I think Tirol Lodge is a great choice for your needs. A flat walk to the gondolas, it won’t be far from any of the Lodge buildings. It’s a flattish stroll to the village if needed, with loads of buses coming back and forth in that direction. It’s got a couple of eateries around it. I would stay there if it were just me and folks who just want to ski and enjoy the mountains. Can’t wait to hear all about it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy