Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria (the left hand side)

Poster: A snowHead
Having only skied Austria pre-children when my requirements were very different, i’d love some recommendations for places that might tick as many of these boxes as possible:

4hr max from Zurich
Small resort with beginner area at the bottom (no need to take the gondola up)
Ski school/ childcare for little ones
Enough skiing to keep two adults entertained for a few hours each day- happy to pootle-dont need ++kms
Ideally a swimming pool/ spa centre in town or nearby
Good self catered accommodation or a good pension recommendation

Any ideas are most welcome- it will be first week in March
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Off the top of my head from day visits, Seefeld or Galtür. The only thing I don't know about is the spa situation in Galtür, but it's fairly upmarket so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in the area. Seefeld has a huge spa: https://www.olympiabad.at/en/. Seefeld has several separate areas, but the main one, Rosshütte, has a kids area at the bottom and a funicular if you want to take them up to the restaurant. I remember using a magic carpet to reach the bubble at Galtür, so I think that has a similar setup. It is 10 min from Ischgl and 20 Min from Kappl/See, should you wish to expand your horizons.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 9-10-22 13:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to Google Maps, Hochfügen is 4hrs 9 mins. from Zürich. https://www.hochfuegenski.com/
Hochfügen is 12kms up a side valley from Zillertal. The beginner area is directly next to the car park and the accommodation.
Some accommodation options in Hochfügen can be found here: https://www.hochfuegenski.com/planen-buchen/hotels-und-unterkuenfte/
Chalet Apart is really nice (but expensive!), Panorama Lodge has everything a person would need on a ski holiday, but is by no means luxury!
There's a pool and wellness centre in Fügen https://www.erlebnistherme-zillertal.at/en/ which is 20mins. drive down from Hochfügen.
A lot of people stay in Fügen, or further down the Zillertal and then drive to Hochfügen every day or take the free ski bus up... Though, I suspect you probably wouldn't want to do that with 2 small children!
There are more accommodation and eating options around Fügen which is why the majority of people who ski in Hochfügen stay there.

If you need more info about this area - give me a shout!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should be able to find nice suitable villages in the Vorarlberg region, bordering Switzerland. 1,5-2 hours from Zürich.
But a small skiresort with a good spa/swimmingpool is gonna be hard to find, anywhere.
Check villages like Gargellen, Tschagguns, Warth, Damüls, Brand, Faschina.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Defo Galtur, perfect fit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Vorarlberg is a sensible suggestion. The Montafon is really a collection of partially linked villages, some of which are in an adjacent valley to parts of the Arlberg. Damuls is supposed to be the snowiest place in the alps. They are very easy to get to from Zürich, you can even get the train. If by car no need to go through the Arlberg tunnel so should really be no more than 2 hours drive. They are all popular with Swiss based folk as they are a good deal cheaper than being in Switzerland!

Guarantee of resort level beginners area in March is more difficult, St Anton but that hardly fits the rest of your criteria (despite its reputation St Anton is actually very good for complete beginners/kids, it is the moving on from the nursery slopes where it is more challenging), Galtür maybe but it is a good way down the Paznauntal, Warth might work but not sure if on the expensive side and is a fair drive on mountain roads from St. Margrethen/Bregenz. Most places beginners areas would be at the mid station, more snow sure.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damuels and Warth Schroeken struggle in my view to meet all criteria. In particular spa/pool.
Don't get me wrong I've skied Damuels and Warth several times (infact going back to Warth in Jan, with a stop off for the day in Damuels), but I think Galtur is a really good fit. I would absolutely use it for my kids if I was doing it all over again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, I think Lech's blue slopes are even better for beginners and no need for a gondola. I am thinking of the 200 etc.area, and you have the Rodelbahn in the afternoon but those are CH prices.
Garni Kristall was central, clean and relatively less expensive. No pool I can think of.
Hochgurgl/Obergurgl could fit but the gondola is required in Obergurgl
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have zero interest in pools & spas so dont notice them much. Most of the big hotels have them these days (it gives business outside of the ski season) and many are open to non residents. Again St Anton has excellent public sports facilities as does Pettneu, which is quieter, has more reasonably priced accommodation and is very "family" friendly, yes you have to get the bus to the lifts but that is often easier than many parts of "St Anton" itself. I didnt mention Lech simply because of the cost issue though I believe there is some "reasonably" priced accommodation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Obergurgl there is a beginners area with no gondola required. 1 drag lift. Behind Haus Christophorus. I don’t remember a public spa though. All the hotels have pools.

St Anton is not a bad shout. Stay around nassereinbahn and there is a school there. Great spa in town.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for the recommendations. We’ve done Galtur before and loved it but fancy a change so we will look into the recommendations. St Anton would be an absolute waste of a lift pass/ expense if we just get a few hours per day. This isn't our main ski holiday so we are really looking for a small place to move their skiing on, over our kms.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Somewhere cheap like Schoppernau and stay in a hotel with a pool?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not Austria, but I've always fancied skiing in Flumserberg. I'm guessing you'll have already been there though? I've passed it on the way from Zurich airport to various resorts and thought it looked convenient and interesting, with a lovely view down to the Walensee.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nadenoodlee, Kleinwalsertal would fit the bill. Has beginners areas, loads of (very good) hotels with spa... is an absolute 'Schneeloch'. If they don't have snow no one does.
Look in Riezlern or Hirschegg. Only ~2.5 hours drive
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666, its one of our local areas. Something like that in AU would be perfect.
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@sugarmoma666, its one of our local areas. Something like that in AU would be perfect.

Is it at nice as it looks?
snow report
Its good BUT parking at weekends is hell. A lot of people take the train down from Zh -its a good place to ski for a few days. Good intermediates happy on reds will really enjoy it. We go mid week and its empty. Another one with similar
Views but smaller is Klewenalp
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
@Nadenoodlee, Kleinwalsertal would fit the bill. Has beginners areas, loads of (very good) hotels with spa... is an absolute 'Schneeloch'. If they don't have snow no one does.
Look in Riezlern or Hirschegg. Only ~2.5 hours drive

Absolutely, an area that often gets forgotten. Easy enough from Zürich.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy