Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lofoten Islands 2022: It's Been a Whale **Time for Some Photos...**

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, thanks; it certainly was!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sharkymark, I’m going to try to take Arno Jr up to the Tennyson monument today which is way better than your poxy Trollfjord Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Arno, it’s almost as much vertical as Mike and I have planned today. Conditions are…inclement
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With most of the team and the Powfinder General leaving early this morning, Hewey and I were aiming for a chilled day on a local line. We awoke to yet more classic Lofoten weather: 5 deg.C, light drizzle and a cloud base down to approximately sea level. Things weren’t looking good.

We headed to Rundsfjellet to ski a tree line below 400m in the hope we’d get some contrast. Turns out every other guide from the lodge had the same idea so we figured we had the best we were going to get.

About an hour in, offpisteskiing sent a somewhat cheeky ‘how’s the rain?’ text. However, Lofoten had one last weather trick to play: I replied to him with this photo Cool

Lofoten 2022 done, a few photos from the camera to follow over the next week or so.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Love this thread (and it’s fishy precedents). Going next year…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, thanks. You’ll love it: it’s awesome
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've finally whittled down 1053 photos on the proper camera to just over 200. I'll post few from each day here over the coming week or so.

Day 1: We managed a cheeky tour in the clag so nothing that inviting for the camera. The sunset that evening was a different story. I haven't done much to the colours; it really was this pink. A great start to the week.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sharkymark, Oh my days snowHead I presume you packed a tripod
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frosty the Snowman, I did but this was hand held. I have 5.5 stops of lens stabilisation so could shoot hand held at 1/20th of a second.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sharkymark, what f stop?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sharkymark, certainly on my to-do list, look forward to seeing all the pics of your trip Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sharkymark, is that a Russian mini-sub in the centre of the shot?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Frosty the Snowman, f9, 1/18s, ISO 800.

@dvb, thanks, more inbound...

@ster, haha!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sharkymark, wow, I wouldn't have though it possible
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frosty the Snowman, modern cameras are amazing Smile
latest report
Day 2 part 1: A return to the same zone we scoped out on day 1. The visibility varied throughout the day but was generally what you see in the photo; hence not a lot of camera action. This shot shows @offpisteskiing heading down the lower section back towards the car. We saw no one else all day.

snow report
Day 2 part 2...

snow report
Stunning! Can you actually see it as vividly as the the photos show?
ski holidays
@ster, yes! The camera naturally makes them look very green. I've de-greened and brightened them to try to get them to look as close to what I perceived them to be. When they're weak, they look more like glow in the dark paint - like bio luminescence.
latest report
Holy Mary
ski holidays
Day 3: The sun came out so we headed out to a classic line - the south couloir of Geitgaljtind; the highest peak on Lofoten. The ascent was a little technical in places.

...but the rewards were worth it. Here's @hewey trying to focus on the skiing and not the view:

@offpisteskiing dropping in:

Midway down the line:

Who doesn't like a line that ends at the beach?

Terrible blue hour back at the lodge, too:

ski holidays
@Dabber, would love to hear more about Senja. You’re IG pics look awesome snowHead
snow report
Magic
ski holidays
@BobinCH, that's one hell of a burn right there Laughing
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
@BobinCH, that's one hell of a burn right there Laughing

Yours aren’t bad either Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@BobinCH, one day, @admin will add a face palm emoticon <face>
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Senja was awesome indeed , such a wonderfully unspoilt place , will try and write a trip report to match this one soon , nice thing is wether its lyngen / Senja / lofoton / and I would add tromso as a standalone location to the mix , we have a destination point in Northern Norway that keeps the hopes of winter alive snowHead

@Sharkymark, nice to see that pink based skis are the choice of ski for Norway Toofy Grin
snow report
Dabber wrote:
@BobinCH, Senja was awesome indeed , such a wonderfully unspoilt place , will try and write a trip report to match this one soon , nice thing is wether its lyngen / Senja / lofoton / and I would add tromso as a standalone location to the mix , we have a destination point in Northern Norway that keeps the hopes of winter alive snowHead

@Sharkymark, nice to see that pink based skis are the choice of ski for Norway Toofy Grin

Further north in Finmark is on the list too...Avi Geeks have been up there for a couple of weeks and it looks similarly great. Lofoten alone has so many lines - we only repeated a line on two days and on one other we completed a line we were forced off several years ago. Everything else was new. In 9 years of going.

Apparently Black Crows are the new Whitedot, it seems Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Day 4: Our first trip out to the wild west in the week to a bowl that @offpisteskiing had been eyeing up for the past 9 years. Suffice to say, it achieved Unicorn status. Here's @davidides 100m or so into the ascent.

snow conditions
Being as close to the coast as it was possible to get, the damp air condensed periodically and gave us some fantastic light.

snow conditions
I like this shot: kinda a bit Genesis.

ski holidays
The terrain in this bowl was magnificent

ski holidays
...and the view from the summit was astonishing. Here's @offspisteskiing admiring it...

latest report
...before nailing it. We also met up and skied with Kristin today, who we rescued on our first day in Lofoten back in April 2013. Fortunately, the circumstances were significantly different ot that day: definitely Type 1 fun rather than Type 3 fun.

latest report
Looks incredible!
snow conditions
Day 5: We headed west once again and returned to a line that we attempted 7 years earlier but ended up being defeated by the weather. The weather this time was...different.
Looking down onto brooding clouds over the Norwegian Sea 200m or so into the ascent

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 24-04-22 20:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The lower slopes could be tackled with skins but it steepened and firmed up somewhat towards the summit ridge so into a bootpack. Similar to the day before, thick cloud would periodically drift in for 10 mins or so.

snow report
@offpisteskiing leading the way on the descent. Once again, trying to focus on skiing in 'variable' snow with that view in front of us was quite challenging

snow report
Things didn't get easier as we descended

snow conditions
Here's @DavidIdes proving not only the Powfinder General can ski this schizzle

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy