Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lofoten Islands 2022: It's Been a Whale **Time for Some Photos...**

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
.....I'm guessing it's 'sell a kidney' expensive.....

Good phrase, and think it was around 5k for the week before flights etc

I didn't get any FOMO as it was so late in the year plus I was down in Spain for just over four weeks and that was cheaper!

Same, not Spain though.

Did the month of May in Hokkaido for way less than 5k, including flights.

20 April to 20 May touring round Hokkaido combining resort accessed side/backcountry and touring with sightseeing is highly recommended.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Error

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 26-06-22 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, @Sharkymark, mates back from Svalbard last week.

Pictures include Polar bears, guides packing rifles etc etc

Was one hell of a trip

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.palm.77

Got an IG link? Found it https://instagram.com/sabuezo_sueco?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Guess it’s this one - looks amazing!!!
https://www.guides-verbier.com/en/ski-touring-randonnee/ski-touring-and-sailing-in-spitzbergen-svalbard.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
.....I'm guessing it's 'sell a kidney' expensive.....

Good phrase, and think it was around 5k for the week before flights etc

Svalbard looks like an incredible trip....
And surprisingly easy to get to on a scheduled flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen.
The traditional mining industry is in decline - so Svalbard probably going to become more and more tourist focused in future?

However, additional challenge for ski tourers :
a) Unlike Lyngen you probably do need a boat to get to the skiing.
b) Polar bears! Need a gun license and polar bear deterrents to leave the main town.

Both of those factors mean you probably need to join a guided group.
Therefore prices aren't cheap - but for a once in lifetime experience it looks pretty cool to me ?
Bruce Goodlad runs trips up there, his photos (of skiing and wildlife) look amazing.

http://mountainadventurecompany.com/ski-svalbard-arctic-ski-cruise/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Sharkymark, just revisiting your fantastic trip report for insights. to the area ,im off to Lofoten for first time at end of month , things looking good for some snow in near future , have been to Lyngen and Senja in the past , anything unique to the Lofoten isles that I should know ?? we're to be based in Kabelvag nr Svolvaer with two cars , mix of self catering and eating out , any advise welcome cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dabber, thanks and hope you have a fantastic trip! I’m off again in the first week in April to the same area. Are you self guiding? The avi and weather reports on Yr.No are superb - the website has more functionality than the app. Start on something mellow like Varden close to Svolvaer; will give you some taste of the snowpack and the fickle weather. Stay up past 10pm to catch a glimpse of the northern lights and if the sky is clear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sharkymark, cheers mate , will check out y.no thx , we have a great guide that has been with us on all our northern adventures, been trawling over fat map for what’s in store , varden looks like a great warm up day out cheers
Have a fab time too
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dabber, there’s some nice things you can do from Kabelvag which only need 2 or 3 hours. Otherwise there’s a guidebook with most of the classics in it. Tons of other stuff too. Enjoy!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arno, thx , the place looks so beautiful , we were a little spoilt in Senja last year with epic conditions , but so looking forward to this trip , one of our group has said guide book , so hopefully tick a few lines off Very Happy
also one of group is a very keen photographer so hope to add some great pics to the thread soon
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thread hijack- but it's related...

Mrs B and I have just booked flights and a mountain guide for 4 days lodge-based ski touring from Thursday 11 May to Sunday 14 May 2023 Very Happy . The starting/meeting point for the tour will be in the Arctic Circle, in Lyngseidet, Norway.

As the max group size for the guide is 4, and with us being sociable types, we are wondering if there are any ski touring couples/singles out there who might fancy joining us and sharing the guide cost of £440 a day?

Of course you would be free to do your own thing outside of the ski tour but our itinerary is as follows:

- Fly to Tromso on Tues 9 May and arrive early evening. Night in Tromso.
- Wed 10 May travel 90/120 minutes to Lyngseidet - hopefully by bus, though we may hire a car if necessary.
- Thurs 11 May to Sun 14 May - daily ski tour
- Mon 15 May - travel back to Tromso for 16.30 flight home.

We are experienced ski tourers and are age 60. We like to enjoy our days in the mountains, take in the overall experience and climb at a steady rate of about 300m an hour. In a day we will climb between 1000m and 1500m, enjoy the company and ski down to sea level Very Happy .

We will be based at Magic Mountain Lodge, Lyngseidet and will meet the guide there each day. The routes will be chosen by the guide, based on the above criteria of speed and overall ascent.

If you are interested in joining the trip, and are happy with the daily criteria mentioned above, please let me know. If you would prefer to discuss things on the phone please drop me a PM and I will let you have my phone number.

We will be based at Magic Mountain Lodge, Lyngseidet, for the duration of the trip and do day tours from there. Please note that you would need to book your own travel and accommodation. We booked the lodge via Booking.com and it costs approximately £70 pp per night, room only, in a double - though they have single beds available in shared dorms for significantly less.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, lyngseidet is a great base , with so many options within 30 min , also a ski shop and great bar/restaurant , you'll have a blast , and hopefully snow will still bee down to the road at that time of year , if so you'll have time for a short tour on the departure day , if your driving check the ferry times for the crossing to svensby which makes a massive difference to the transfer times to and from Tromso , have a great trip snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dabber,
Thanks for your comments. We are really looking forward to the trip.

We are hoping to travel from/to Tromso by bus if we can, as we won't need a car for the ski touring (as the guide will give us a lift in his car).

Do you know if that will be possible? Certain websites are saying that buses are more limited (or not available) from April onwards Sad .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, not sure re buses ,but would think that timetables would be limited , we hired cars , not to expensive and all with winter tyres , gives you a bit more flexibility in case of down days , also increases options if you want to do a point to point tour , and also option to ski on your last day if you want to .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy