Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast can you get a passport....NOW

Poster: A snowHead
@SillySkier, "Did you get an email saying they have your old one?" : I did, but that was 5 years ago (seven day turnaround, for a renewal....!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe more efficient/faster soon? 10 week waiting time at the moment advised!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61233206

"Boris Johnson has threatened to privatise the Passport Office if it does not start delivering better value for money, a source has said.

During a cabinet meeting, the PM is understood to have told ministers the high cost of services was affecting families ahead of the summer holidays."
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Boris Johnson has threatened to privatise the Passport Office if it does not start delivering better value for money, a source has said

Whopee. Then it'll be just as good as Southern Water whose generosity with dividends is equalled only by its propensity to pour tons of shit into Chichester Harbour.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
... but it might sort out another problem if those asylum-seekers paying their life savings to people traffickers could simply apply to the privatised Passport Office's Amazon retail page.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Johnson's government f-s up the passport office.... and the only way to fix it
is by giving the contract to some of his "VIP" chums?
Is this the one where he hires the pole dancer on the public purse too?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig,

no better here and pretty sure BoJo has little to do with our passport offices! Madeye-Smiley
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6428096

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6427090
I got to spend most of the day in that line several months back! Sad

And can't even renew my Nexus card it seems Sad Sad
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/with-canada-s-nexus-offices-closed-cardholders-struggle-to-renew-memberships-1.5875919
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I hope you've all succeeded in your passport endeavours.
IMHO, it's all needless bureaucracy.
Two stories:
My dad was a diplomat. One school holiday time in Paris I get to CDG on my way back to school when immigration notice that my passport has expired. Yippee, I thought, more holiday. I was on a plane the following day.
At Uni I was going on a ski trip. Couldn't find my passport. The bus driver suggested a temporary passport from the post office. With one passport sized photo I got one by pleading with the counter assistant who said "Do you promise you're coming back in a week?".

My current passport needs renewing next year (28th jan), so I'll be renewing in the next couple of weeks Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I once travelled from St Kitts to London, via Antigua, on the strength of my train season ticket. 'Do you have any photo ID?' 'If I did I would have a passport....'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One sailing trip to Cherbourg we forgot to take passports - not usually asked for if arriving on a private sail boat. Weather closed in (fog) and we had to get back to Portsmouth for work which meant leaving our boat and getting the ferry. Immigration let us on board the ferry on the strength of a phone call to immigration in Portsmouth to check our credentials.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snowlamb, I did exactly the same - forgot my passport, then had to come back on a ferry when the boat was delayed in France with engine trouble. I had my son in law photograph my passport and had to talk my way out of France and back into Portsmouth. Son in law had already spoken to immigration at Portsmouth and sent them copies of my passport with details of my arrival but it wasn't easy. They made me wait till absolutely everybody had gone and my crew mate's husband, who was meeting me, was kept waiting for a long time. What would my chances have been if I wasn't a white native English speaker?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For info/reference

Applied online for daughter's passport renewal on 9th April, new passport received today 27th April - with Easter etc that's 11 working days. Not too shabby.

Obviously a difference between renewal and new in terms of what's needed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx and others,
Years ago, as a rep at Turin airport, I was able to get a holidaymaker through immigration on the strength of a photo id from his social club or somesuch! How he got on the plane in the UK is a different matter!
He wasn't in my resort (probably went to Sauze) so I didin't hear about his flight home.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Again for reference, recent renewal took just over 3 weeks. 2 precautions - went to a home office approved digital photographer (walk in took 5 minutes) and sent old passport recorded delivery.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good points, Bertie.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jnr applied 2 weeks ago, but didn’t want to risk it ahead of a trip to Germany this week. He also booked an appointment in Durham - the only place he could get one in time - we’re from Bedfordshire. Anyway, he went today and has his new passport.

I’ve not asked him how much it’s cost him for the application, travel and a day’s loss of earnings (self employed)! I’d imagine it was a fair amount.
latest report
For what it's worth, I've just renewed 3 children's passports, all as online applications with self-taken photos (on a camera phone):

Passport 1 (child renewal): Submitted 23/04/22, posted to Bootle 25/04, acknowledged 28/04, received 06/05.
Passport 2 (child renewal): Submitted 23/04/22, posted to Glasgow 25/04, acknowledged 03/05, received 09/05.
Passport 3 (now adult renewal): Submitted 24/04/22, posted to Bootle 25/04, acknowledged 29/04, received 05/05.

With a bank holiday in the middle of those timelines, I make it between 8 and 10 working days for each application, which is pretty good going in my opinion.
ski holidays
This pasport thing is driving me mad!
sanity check needed!!

My passport issued 22/11/12 expires 22/08/2023!

the 10 year max validity rule means (I think) that it needs to be renewed this year.

I have a 2 week trip via eurotunnel 22 june to 5 july which should be ok except that the 3 months minimum validity from date of return to uk runs up against the 10 year max life of passport in nov 22 (yeah I know its 4 months but some sources say 6 months is the safe min)

so I will have to renew after we get back in july and hope the passport office take less than the current 10 week wait they advertise to fix it before we can go abroad again!!
snow conditions
I believe you should be fine, for travel to the EU at least. Simon Calder (https://twitter.com/SimonCalder) has been banging on about this for a month or more trying to dispel the myths. Scroll back through his tweets, podcasts and newspaper articles for the full details, but basically he says there are only two rules to consider for your passport:

1. Less than 10 years old on day of entry to EU (i.e. <10 years from the issued date).
2. At least three months left to expiry date on day of exit (regardless of age).

So you can still travel right up to the day before your passport becomes 10 years old (i.e. 21/11/22 in your case).

Wait until after the summer to renew and it should be quicker I guess.
latest report
Yep ok for the trip and renew early autumn!
snow conditions
Friend of mine has just had his back inside 4 weeks of sending it off, which is good, because now we can book to go sailing somewhere in mid June
ski holidays
shrew wrote:
1. Less than 10 years old on day of entry to EU (i.e. <10 years from the issued date).
2. At least three months left to expiry date on day of exit (regardless of age).

So if your passport has less than three months to expiry on date of leaving Schengen, what do they do? Prevent you from leaving, or send you home?
latest report
James the Last wrote:
shrew wrote:

So if your passport has less than three months to expiry on date of leaving Schengen, what do they do? Prevent you from leaving, or send you home?

They dont let you in.
ski holidays
But they don't know when you're leaving!
latest report
@James the Last, well you can't stay indefinitely so they can take a stab given how long you are allowed and/or they can ask I guess. You know, "can I see your return ticket".

And I guess if the airlines know your return date, they police it for the EU as they do for Uk entry.
snow report
Just received my new passport, took just over 3 weeks! Was pleasantly surprised after hearing some horror stories from friends!
latest report
Had lunch with a mate today. Three weeks for renewal. A lot faster than his firearms certificate
ski holidays
countryman wrote:
A lot faster than his firearms certificate

Possibly not a bad thing?
latest report
Nephew had his car broken into and passport stolen. He’s supposed to be going on a lads holiday in a few weeks. Bit touch and go I reckon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Exactly three weeks for me for online renewal.
ski holidays
In view of the horror stories that sometimes creep into the media, here’s my experience of an on-line renewal:
5 March (Sunday): on-line application, including uploading photo and card payment;
6 March (Monday): sent off old passport – recorded delivery;
7 March (Tuesday): email to say envelope arrived at Hemel;
17 March (Friday): email to say application approved;
18 March (Saturday): 00:30 – email to say it has been printed;
20 March (Monday): 13:30 – new passport delivered by courier, old passport to follow next week.

Because it’s good news, not bad, my story will never make the media . . . . . . .
ski holidays
@Nemisis, Good news

We're debating when to renew ours, they are valid until 25 Nov this year. Original plan was to send them off for renewal when we return from skiing 2nd April, with the hope they would be ready for mid-July when we go away again. But, Passport Office have announced strikes now Confused

Should be ok for July trip, as would still have over 3-months left (and they are less than 10-years old).
snow report
My (recent) experience:
I travel sometimes at short notice, so I can't send my passport away, which means the super-premium-gold-plated service where you turn up at the passport office, hand over the old one and get given a new one.

Filled in website, picked a London slot about 2-3weeks away (first available convenient one - could have done it sooner at Peterborough).

Arrived at passport office to a huge queue because... the computers had broken. There were people crying, shouting, arguing etc. I felt for the staff. They advised me not to return for a few days while they cleared the backlog.

Got another appointment a few days later and received my passport.

In the meantime I could have filled in an online application and got a new passport 2x over....

Moral of the story is - unless you really can't afford to be without your passport, the normal online service is the best solution. If you are going to go the expensive route, allow several weeks.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
My (recent) experience:
I travel sometimes at short notice, so I can't send my passport away, which means the super-premium-gold-plated service where you turn up at the passport office, hand over the old one and get given a new one.

If you need to travel frequently, visit countries that won't allow entry if you have stamps from certain other countries, or need to travel at the same time as you are applying for visas for other countries, you can apply for a second UK passport that's valid at the same time as your first one.
latest report
@JohnS4, I used to do this - one for Arab countries and one for Israel. Multiple passports are one reason why Schengen want biometrics to track people in and out.
snow report
Nemisis wrote:
In view of the horror stories that sometimes creep into the media, here’s my experience of an on-line renewal:
5 March (Sunday): on-line application, including uploading photo and card payment;
6 March (Monday): sent off old passport – recorded delivery;
7 March (Tuesday): email to say envelope arrived at Hemel;
17 March (Friday): email to say application approved;
18 March (Saturday): 00:30 – email to say it has been printed;
20 March (Monday): 13:30 – new passport delivered by courier, old passport to follow next week.

Because it’s good news, not bad, my story will never make the media . . . . . . .

Very similar to my recent experience! I applied online on Sunday 5th, and sent the old one off on Monday 6th.
New one arrived here on Friday 17th! The same day the strikes were announced.

I can't imagine there will be such a speedy service over the next few months, so I'm glad I applied when I did. It would suggest there's not much of a backlog at the moment though, so sooner rather than later probably still makes sense.
ski holidays
I was pleasantly surprised at how quick my new passport was processed and delivered. Online renewal application on 5th Mar, delay in sending old passport back and eventually posted it recorded on 9th Mar, txt to confirm receipt on 10th, txt to confirm approval on 11th, notification passport had been printed early a.m. on 13th and delivered the same day! So 4 ‘working’ days from posting my old passport back. I do live in Liverpool so that may have helped Eh oh!
snow conditions
Discovered passport was out of date 10 days before holiday! Applied on line that night went to passport office ( Liverpool) 40hrs later to pick up the new one and drop off the old one. ( luckily only 1hr drive).
latest report
I applied on line on Friday - and posted old passport then as well. Was notified today that old passport had been received.
snow conditions
Mine expires next January, I've put a note in my Google diary to remind me at the end of August to review when we should apply re the 3 month ruling. We dont want to be caught out, fail to plan prepare to fail, LOL. Cool
latest report
3 weeks for me. Applied 7th March, sent off my passport from Norway which took a week to arrive in Durham. New passport being delivered by DHL tomorrow.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 27-03-23 10:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy